http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 02:58:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 201X Health Improvement Thread  (Read 16165 times)
kratz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on March 09, 2012, 04:25:13 PM

And another week in the books. I'm scared of the 5lb increase in my bench on Monday. I think I'm close to the wall for good form reps.

I've started doing this on Tuesday/Thursday now -

It definitely works the core muscles and will hopefully help me with my joint pain and flexibility.

Push up T stands ftw.  I love this workout.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: March 09, 2012, 05:30:42 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on March 09, 2012, 04:25:56 AM

74% obesity rate?  That's hilariously wrong.

Sorry, overweight. I had scrapped the original message where I listed it as overweight.

And the term hilariously wrong is disproven by the very link you sent. 25-30% BMI is overweight (orange, for reference). 30+ is exactly where the map suggests you'll be in 10 years based on the history shown.

Or perhaps America is just growing denser bones. Roll Eyes

Fact is, people are getting heavier, and the moving less/eating more is a symptom, NOT CAUSE, of obesity. It will maintain it (as a large person will be driven to eat more to sustain themselves). But it wasn't the extra 20 calories a day that makes people fat.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 05:36:10 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: March 09, 2012, 05:48:43 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 09, 2012, 03:38:46 AM

If that's what you are taking away from that article, you are missing the point.

Which is this:  not all calories are the same, and this research is interesting, but until people address the key issues of why they are fat, namely that they sit around stuffing their faces and not exercising, they aren't going to get anywhere.

The original article is ADDRESSING WHY.

The pilates instructor is calling bullshit and saying :eat less, move more.

Basically parroting the same thing that common knowledge is, without anything to back it up.
I'm not saying that anyone is right or wrong, but to come into something and say: anecdotally, I'm not fat, and I know this works so that other person is wrong - is total and complete shit.

There's a mid-50's woman at the gym I work out at that had a trainer and a fixed diet, and she went from greasing hips to get through doorways to being about 170lbs in a year. She looked fantastic in comparison. I hadn't seen her for 6 months.

She's back to where she was - 6 months in the gym doesn't do it - the body reacts to what you put into it, and there is something wrong with what we eat, and why it creates a mad dash for storing stuff. I eat more than you can and I don't gain weight. Why? I'm not eating the stuff that does me in.

I've not been focused on weight loss much (emotional stress, etc) but I have been diligent in going to the gym. I'm at around 245, but my muscle is coming back like mad.

I'm about to cut all calories slightly, and introduce fasting days into my regime to speed up some of the weight loss, but the fact of the matter is that if I was eating what I had been eating last year, this lull would have brought me back up to my 280+.

This is the means by which I can maintain loss, and not worry about significant yo-yo'ing.

I'm really happy that you've lost a lot of weight Kratz, and I fully support you in your successes - but what that one woman on engadget is saying is patently false. She has no basis of claim to tell someone else to shut up, and that is what bugged me.

Consider swimming and buoyancy. When you dive down, you are working against your body's buoyancy and the further down you go, the harder it is to stay there. When you stop, you will float back up to wherever you will naturally level out at.

Telling everyone to swim down as hard as they can, and maintain that level all the time does NOTHING to affect your buoyancy and thus, any lull in effort means you backslide.

YES, diving and swimming down gets you lower - I am not contesting overeating being a contributer to how much we float. But everyone eats, and not everyone floats as high. So we need to find out WHY we go back to that level. Is there a way to drop the water level, or a way to increase our density (staying within the example)?

For her to tell people to stop looking for answers is just ignorant. Nope, we've got enough science now. Time to stop! retard
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 05:53:19 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 09, 2012, 05:53:01 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDFf3Ggp5tw&list=UUTSH36W5OMe7U5DDX7arSvA&index=2&feature=plcp

If you can watch all 7 minutes of that video, you've got balls!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 09, 2012, 06:01:10 PM »

Purge, you are greatly misunderstanding me (and, I believe, the author of the article) if you think I'm saying that what you put in the tank doesn't matter.  I 100% think that quality, unprocessed food is absolutely key, and creating a sustainable way of eating appropriately is also key.

What I'm saying is that if you want to lose weight, you have to look at the basic mechanics of weight loss, which is creating a calorie deficit, which is most 'easily' accomplished by increasing calorie burn and reducing calorie intake.  Your take on the *best* diet for maintaining weight, etc. very well may be right, but until people understand and apply themselves to the basic principles of weight loss, they will not lose weight.  You can't replace 1000 calories of pasta with 1000 calories of peanuts and think you are magically going to be thin.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 09, 2012, 06:09:40 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 09, 2012, 06:01:10 PM

You can't replace 1000 calories of pasta with 1000 calories of peanuts and think you are magically going to be thin.

I bet 1000 calories of meth would do the trick, though.  Sorry, been in Arizona for a bit too long it seems.

Here is an interesting article linked on Fitocracy by one of its founders that seems to apply to this very discussion:  A Calorie Isn't a Calorie?

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 09, 2012, 06:38:14 PM »

That is some really interesting reading, Pete. Thanks for the link.
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 09, 2012, 07:33:54 PM »

Very good read.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: March 09, 2012, 09:40:58 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 09, 2012, 06:01:10 PM

Purge, you are greatly misunderstanding me (and, I believe, the author of the article) if you think I'm saying that what you put in the tank doesn't matter.  I 100% think that quality, unprocessed food is absolutely key, and creating a sustainable way of eating appropriately is also key.

What I'm saying is that if you want to lose weight, you have to look at the basic mechanics of weight loss, which is creating a calorie deficit, which is most 'easily' accomplished by increasing calorie burn and reducing calorie intake.  Your take on the *best* diet for maintaining weight, etc. very well may be right, but until people understand and apply themselves to the basic principles of weight loss, they will not lose weight.  You can't replace 1000 calories of pasta with 1000 calories of peanuts and think you are magically going to be thin.

No, because peanuts aren't nuts - they're still a legume and have a much higher glycemic rating than, say almonds (which have 0, vs 50). Average fettuccine is at 180, and since insulin triggers LPL receptors to convert fatty acids into triglycerides as well as store sugars in the tissues around the body, INCLUDING adipose tissue (what we call "fat cells") - this is where we bulk up.

So, that 1000 calories of potential energy gets to be used by the system, rather than triggering a storage command (in essence). If you don't use it, your body expels it. Calories are, after all, potential energy.

Your body would otherwise not trigger storage, since it knows it has tons of fats stored, and would use the present energy, and then use its own stores since (at a hormone level) the body's maintenance of energy knows of the surplus.

If you eat less, then the body will convert the triglycerides faster, and you will drop weight. The important point I'm making is that the original article talks about BPA and other chemicals which may be contributing to the storage cycle, and the engadget article argues that it's a waste of time.

Investigating factors which ultimately cause the climb of calories is important.

As to the article Pete posted, there is one point there that sticks in my mind:

"There are people much more prone to both overeating and storing fat, and thus more vulnerable to becoming obese than the average member of the population."

The average member is now overweight, and trying to find a compromise is simply peacemaking for the sake of it.

He talks about not being able to store what isn't there - if your body has no energy in the bloodstream, your cells die. The body will regulate based on carbs, and burn or store them first, this is why we have insulin - to control blood sugar levels. You'll note there is no hormone which looks for fat triggers and causes a mass storage.

If you have two reservoirs, and both have the same controller, and that controller reacts only to the levels on the one side, then the other one can either : safely overload, or is irrelevant to the overall health check.

So when our bodies are constantly watching sugar levels, perhaps that is what we should also be concerned with.

Far before man invented beakers and test tubes, farms and milling, our bodies knew what they were doing. And boy, did we eat fat. We also have something called hunger - a compulsion to eat when we need energy. Right now, can you trust your hunger and eat whenever you want?

I can, and I don't gain weight.

:shrug:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:42:34 PM by Purge » Logged

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 09, 2012, 10:02:31 PM »

Ok, you don't gain weight... whatever else you said, it's because you are expending and taking in the same amount of energy (measured in calories).

You yourself said that if you wanted to lose weight, you would reduce your intake... which is exactly what we've been saying.

You think that eating peanuts (ok, ok, almonds) is a better way to do it than someone eating pasta.  That's fine.  That also doesn't change the basic concept weight loss: you need to burn more than you take in.  You are talking about coming up with ways to either burn more efficiently, or feel less deprived while still taking in the appropriate amount of energy to maintain or lose weight, but that doesn't change the fundamentals of weight loss.

I admit that I am curious about what the effect of these different ways of eating would be for me, as I'm at a point where it becomes much harder to get weight off because I'm closer to my goal.  I'm willing to guinea pig.  Tell me what you eat on a daily basis (not like I'm going to have the same meal as you every single day, but give me some idea), and I'll eat that stuff, sticking to the calorie levels that I've been consuming (or less, if I don't feel the need to eat, I guess), and after a couple weeks I'll report back: weight change, how I feel, how well I'm able to do the types of exercise I do (endurance stuff), and how sustainable I feel it would be in terms of cost (which I think would be greater), and personal desire for bread.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 09, 2012, 11:19:51 PM »

Finally hit a new squat all-time high of 225lbs for 3 reps (this was after doing four working sets of 205 plus a 5-rep set of 215).  Felt good to FINALLY squat 1.5x my body weight.  A long way from when I first started squatting over the summer with 95lbs and wobbled all over the place.  Other records for the day were a 195 lb stiff-legged deadlift and two sets of 285 lb shrugs.

PT went really well this morning and feels very good, although some of the strength work they have me doing really had my shoulders fatigued.  Not ideal for my legs/shoulders day at the gym, but so far I'm pleased with their program.  Now off to softball playoffs.   

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 10, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 09, 2012, 10:02:31 PM

I'm willing to guinea pig.  Tell me what you eat on a daily basis (not like I'm going to have the same meal as you every single day, but give me some idea), and I'll eat that stuff, sticking to the calorie levels that I've been consuming (or less, if I don't feel the need to eat, I guess), and after a couple weeks I'll report back: weight change, how I feel, how well I'm able to do the types of exercise I do (endurance stuff), and how sustainable I feel it would be in terms of cost (which I think would be greater), and personal desire for bread.

I've recommended this cookbook before, by far my favorite:
http://www.amazon.com/Primal-Blueprint-Quick-Easy-Meals/dp/0982207743
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 11, 2012, 03:47:09 AM »

I don't want a cookbook... I just want someone to tell me what to eat for two weeks.

It was in the 50s and not much wind here today, so we busted out the road bikes and did a 34 mile out and back... so great.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 11, 2012, 05:02:39 AM »

Today I stepped on the scale at was 203.   I started at 249 in December.   If I continue my current rate In just over a week I will be in the 190's.  That loud yell of joy and excitement coming from Michigan on that day?  Yeah, that'll be me!  
Ill just throw out this one piece of advice for all of you fighting the good fight,  its far more important to win the mental battle.  If you can beat down the excuses and recognize and control the false hunger urges, you've won.  It all becomes so much easier once your mental side is your ally.

just to add, I started my weight maintenance 3 months ago and have lost 46 pounds.  Ive had a very steady loss rate of around 15 pounds a month.   I have 3 months to go at this pace and I will hit my goal weight and will have lost around 90 lbs.  I now know I can and will do this.  I dont mean to be over the top but THIS IS FRIKKEN AWESOME!  Best favor Ive done for myself ever!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:08:46 AM by rshetts2 » Logged

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 11, 2012, 01:58:33 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on March 11, 2012, 05:02:39 AM

I dont mean to be over the top but THIS IS FRIKKEN AWESOME!  Best favor Ive done for myself ever!

thumbsup

Stories like this are truly inspiring and further support for the mental portion of leading a healthier lifestyle.  You have to first want it to achieve it. 

Quote from: kratz on March 11, 2012, 03:47:09 AM

I don't want a cookbook... I just want someone to tell me what to eat for two weeks.

If you were to enlist the help of a nutritionist, the common advice for a diet geared toward fitness, muscle building, and fat reduction involves the following calculations:

1.  Calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR):  BMR = 66+ ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) – ( 6.8 x age in years )

2.  Choose an activity level multiplier applicable to your lifestyle, but be careful about over-estimating.

This gives you a much more accurate assessment of your body's caloric needs than merely estimating.

You can adjust upward to gain weight, or reduce what you ingest to lose weight.  In terms of what to eat, nutritionists I know start with a 40% protein/40% carbohydrates/40% fats split, but adjustments are then made for body composition goals (carb cycling, lower calories on rest days, higher on training days, etc).  Lean proteins like chicken breast or ground turkey are recommended on training days, fattier meats like steak or pork on rest days, and lots of green vegetables on both days. 

Problem is, this makes things more complicated than what the average person is looking to follow.  Hiring a consultant makes things easier, but this is at least a basis to give you a better understanding of your body's needs.  Following programs like this requires a food scale, close monitoring of macros, and proper meal timing. 

While Purge lauds his program for allowing him to eat based upon his body's needs without gaining weight, the discussion is about losing weight, and he even admitted to having to reduce caloric intake below his body's expenditure in order to do so.  The confusion lies is what to eat, and that is where Purge and some others disagree.  Still, all participants seem to agree that to lose weight you have to drop caloric intake.

Odds are I haven't helped you at all, but hopefully you have a better handle on what goes into determining your personal dietary needs.

It was in the 50s and not much wind here today, so we busted out the road bikes and did a 34 mile out and back... so great.

Nice.  Today's forecast is partly cloudy and 79 degrees for our softball tournament.  While some areas of the country would prefer more sun, out here partly cloudy and 79 couldn't be more perfect for a long day outdoors.   icon_cool

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 11, 2012, 02:57:25 PM »

Yeah, you totally are missing what I'm after there, Pete.  All the stuff you are talking about is all the stuff I've already done - I'm curious about trying the Purge method for a couple weeks to see how it compares and if I lose more weight doing it.

About to head out for a 4 mile run... my legs are WORKED from yesterday's 2hr+ road ride... hopefully I don't collapse into a pool of jelly halfway in!
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 11, 2012, 06:03:17 PM »

Thanks Pete!  I kinda feel like a preacher these days but damn if I dont feel amazing compared to how I was just 3 months ago.  This morning, I worked on  my basement rebuild, steam mopped the floors twice  ( to clean up tile grout ) did 2 loads of laundry, went grocery shopping and picked up my new home theater seating for my basement.  All before noon.  I seriously have 5 times the energy I used to.  No matter what sacrifice it takes to lose weight, it is worth it.  I am so much healthier, energetic and happier.  I just wish Id had someone to help me get my head outta my butt and do this earlier in life but I am so glad Ive done it at last.  And it hasnt just changed my health, it has changed my whole world.
 So people steel your mind, build up your will and to be cliche, just do it.  It will be the best thing ever for you.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2012, 07:43:08 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 11, 2012, 03:47:09 AM

Eat what's in that cookbook for two weeks.  icon_biggrin  I don't know if anyone is going to write you a meal plan.  

Edit: Snark reduction smile
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:46:19 PM by kathode » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2012, 07:48:28 PM »

Meh.
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2012, 09:45:49 PM »

Heavy shit continues to get heavier. Workout felt good this morning. Thought 190 was gonna be my wall for 5 reps on the bench press but I got through two sets. Hoping to make it two more weeks before hitting the wall. Then all 3 big lifts will be over 200lbs.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2012, 10:46:52 PM »

3 mile walk at lunch, 4 mile jog/walk pushing a stroller after work.  Thanks for the motivator, first gorgeous Boston weather of the year.  Back on the exercise wagon!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: March 13, 2012, 11:44:40 AM »

Kratz, I don't follow a set diet. I eat based on certain principles.
I can jot them down for you and give you an example of what I've eaten, but the books I've read aren't diets, per se. They're all about the body's mechanisms to intake and process food, and how it reacts.

1) Look at the ingredients. If it says "corn", glucose, or hfcs, I don't eat it.
2) I look at GI impact, and concern myself with the protein being higher, the fat being higher, and the carbs being lower.
3) I obey my hunger. That also means I stop when I'm sated (for the most part). It comes quicker than it used to.
4) If it can be at all avoided, I don't eat grains, starches or starchy vegetables. This includes most legumes.
5) The less processed, the better. My one exception is protein supplement drinks that I'm using to support my interest in training and regaining strength.

Yesterday, I had a 5 egg omelette with green onions, mushrooms, ham and bacon (cut up). I had a little cheese on it as well, and there was 1/2 and 1/2 (approx 1 tsp/egg) mixed in. For pan lubricant and a bit of flavor, I used butter (salted, iirc). I also had water.

That was at 7am. I didn't eat, nor did I drink much after that till around 11am, when I had about a handful-and-a-half of almonds (unroasted, aka "bakers" almonds).

I went to the gym at 12:45, and got back at just before two. A scoop-and-a-half of Lean Pro 8 (as I'm trying to build on my strength ATM, and convert fat to muscle) was all I had until we went out for dinner. (special occasion - Aidenn got a solid B average in school with only three C's and a bunch of A's - grade 2).

We went to Hung's Garden, and I had a bucket of chinese tea, consommé soup (sans rice), Deluxe Won-Ton soup (sans won-tons or their subsequent noodles). For the most part, I ate beef and mushroom, and their chicken (unbreaded). I treated myself to several pieces of dry breaded veal.

At ~8pm I had another scoop of lean pro 8 (it is considered a slow-release protein) as I am out of cottage cheese, which I'd have with crushed walnuts.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:47:46 AM by Purge » Logged

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 13, 2012, 03:40:40 PM »

So... Some questions:

Cheese is ok? Dairy is ok?

Are roasted/otherwise cooked nuts bad?  I have a mild but irritating allergic reaction to raw nuts...

Is eating a large breakfast (I'm clocking your breakfast in at 550 - 600 calories - guessing on how much meat you put in there - so it's not that huge) and a single ingredient lunch (like how many nuts are we talking here, measurement wise?) something that these plans advocate?

Seems really low on fruit/vegetables - is that typical?

I also avoid hfcs, because why bother either way, and we try to eat almost entire 'whole' foods, e.g. no processed or prepared stuff.  Do you differentiate between saturated and unsaturated fats, and sources of fat from oils, etc.?

I also do a protein supplement post workout (I use myoplex... that was just what I started with and I haven't tried anything else out of laziness/liking the ease of use.)

In unrelated news - I saw an article where they did a study where  spicy foods, such as curries (like we made last night) result in 'a decrease of triglycerides by about one-third' in the bloodstream.  So bring on the spice!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/03/12/148304942/to-cut-the-risk-of-a-high-fat-meal-add-spice

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 13, 2012, 04:15:08 PM »

I keep telling myself I can discipline myself like you all have in your diets, but the reality is that I'm never going to get there.  Partly because I generally dislike cooking and can't see myself spending what precious little time I have doing it, and partly because I am a horribly picky eater.  I've tried training myself to eat a few things I typically don't like, but haven't been able to get myself to make a habit of it yet.  If I had to eat what Purge listed above, I'd starve.  smile

So I've contented myself with only getting partly on the healthy diet train, which explains why I've pretty much plateaued.  I'm doing much better diet-wise than I was, but don't think I'll ever get to the point y'all are at.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 13, 2012, 04:57:42 PM »

You can still monitor calories and avoid heavily processed foods, Gratch.  I think the reality is that you COULD get there... you just gotta want that shit. smile

Also, I got my 'You've been accepted' letter for the 2012 Laramie Enduro today.  Bring on the long rides!  I love having something like this coming up as it gives me a great excuse to get out and ride like 4 times a week.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 13, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 13, 2012, 04:57:42 PM

You can still monitor calories and avoid heavily processed foods, Gratch.  I think the reality is that you COULD get there... you just gotta want that shit. smile

I try to do both, although I'm better at monitoring calories than avoiding processed food.  I'm such a sucker for junk food that keeping away from it is a near constant struggle.  You're right...I COULD get there but just haven't been able to discipline myself enough yet.

Also, I got my 'You've been accepted' letter for the 2012 Laramie Enduro today.  Bring on the long rides!  I love having something like this coming up as it gives me a great excuse to get out and ride like 4 times a week.

thumbsup

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 14, 2012, 05:26:52 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 13, 2012, 04:15:08 PM

If I had to eat what Purge listed above, I'd starve.  smile

Maybe, but have you tried to eat a five-egg omelette?  That's a huge breakfast he had.  In general, fat and protein keep you sated longer than carbs.  You do have to work your way into it though.  You have to stop just eating because it's time to eat and switch over to listening to your body, which is a significant change.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 14, 2012, 12:02:35 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 13, 2012, 03:40:40 PM

So... Some questions:

Cheese is ok? Dairy is ok?

Are roasted/otherwise cooked nuts bad?  I have a mild but irritating allergic reaction to raw nuts...

Is eating a large breakfast (I'm clocking your breakfast in at 550 - 600 calories - guessing on how much meat you put in there - so it's not that huge) and a single ingredient lunch (like how many nuts are we talking here, measurement wise?) something that these plans advocate?

Seems really low on fruit/vegetables - is that typical?

I also avoid hfcs, because why bother either way, and we try to eat almost entire 'whole' foods, e.g. no processed or prepared stuff.  Do you differentiate between saturated and unsaturated fats, and sources of fat from oils, etc.?

I also do a protein supplement post workout (I use myoplex... that was just what I started with and I haven't tried anything else out of laziness/liking the ease of use.)

In unrelated news - I saw an article where they did a study where  spicy foods, such as curries (like we made last night) result in 'a decrease of triglycerides by about one-third' in the bloodstream.  So bring on the spice!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/03/12/148304942/to-cut-the-risk-of-a-high-fat-meal-add-spice

I don't want to put words in Purge's mouth, but I can probably answer some of these concerns from a paleo perspective.

Roasted/cooked nuts are fine.

Cheese/dairy I don't know about Purge's setup. In paleo they aren't, but I do small amounts of cheese occasionally. Cheese is an inflammation causer, not a huge glycemic impact food.

The huge breakfast/single food lunch is a personal choice - the plans advocate not having huge glycemic impact meals. Whether those meals are made out of single ingredient foods or absurd variety is up to you. I eat a huge protein breakfast (bacon and eggs w/ the eggs cooked in bacon fat) every morning. But then lunch if also big and varied. Chicken with vegetables is a typical lunch for me.

It shouldn't be low on fruit/vegetables, just low on certain fruits and vegetables. In truth you have licence to eat as much non-starchy vegetables as you want. Broccoli, eat your heart out. Squash, eat your heart out. Potatoes not so much. Same thing with fruit. Apples are a great low-GI snack. Bananas have a significantly higher GI impact.

Fats are important, especially your Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratios. Hit up Mark's Dailly Apple for more info on that ratio.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 14, 2012, 02:57:26 PM »

Quote from: Crux on March 14, 2012, 12:02:35 PM

Cheese is an inflammation causer, not a huge glycemic impact food.

Yeah, about that...

RESULTS: We observed that C-reactive protein (CRP), interleukin-6 (IL-6), and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α) levels of individuals consuming between 11 and 14 servings of dairy products per week were almost 16%, 5%, and 12% lower, respectively, than in those consuming fewer than 8 servings (p < 0.05), while those consuming more than 14 servings per week had 29%, 9%, and 20% lower levels of CRP, IL-6, and TNF-α, respectively (p < 0.01), even after adjustments were made for age, gender, smoking, physical activity, body mass, dietary habits, and other potential confounders.

CONCLUSION:
We identified an inverse association between dairy products consumption and levels of various inflammatory markers among healthy adults. Additional clinical trials are needed to refute or confirm our findings.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 14, 2012, 03:34:59 PM »

BRING ON THE CHEESE!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: March 14, 2012, 03:54:46 PM »

That was one day's example. Another day, I might eat 2 cups of asparagus for dinner along with a chicken breast (skin too) and a thigh. Sometimes I have raspberries, walnuts and spinach as a salad (with a low carb dressing) for lunch.

I eat dairy, but I try to keep my consumption low. I don't drink milk much, and if I do it's higher in fat. half-and-half, or even just cream (18% milk cream, not the creamer which is loaded with carbs). I have like, what, 1/2 cup of it to drink? That stuff satisfies my hunger/thirst.  Sometimes I'll also drop 8-12oz of water 10 minutes before, just to be sure it isn't just plain thirst that has me grumbling.

I'm by no means perfect in my execution of avoiding processed foods, but I try my best. I've not eaten a cake or treat since christmas (I had a rumball, and over the course of 3 days I had 4 homemade macaroons - aka giant coconut cookies).

Wait, that's not true - I had 1/2 slice of cheesecake two weeks ago, without any sauce and didn't eat the graham crust. I've been meaning to find my old Protein Power recipe book, it had an amazing tasting cheesecake with a walnut crust. It did use Splenda though, and I keep artificial sweeteners to a minimum.

As for fruits, I generally stick to small amounts of berries (much like my almonds) and they tend to be raw.  It's not that I don't eat roasted almonds or other nuts, it's just that I find the taste of almonds is lost in the roasting. With raw almonds you can taste where amaretto comes from, and I don't mind that one bit. biggrin

Kratz, there is some argument about how much casein protein your body will absorb, but it's generally thought to be a good idea to ingest that during times of rest. One thing about Myoplex and other single-protein shakes are that they actually are designed to trigger some LPA storage.

The reasoning is this (as I understand it): the LPA receptors that make you fat ALSO bulk up your muscle tissue. When insulin hits you it triggers the LPA's to collect and use the available carbs and fats in your bloodstream. LPA receptors sit on all kinds of tissue, including adipose (fat stores) and muscle tissue. If the energy is being redirected to the muscle tissue, it will then be used in reconstruction of damaged tissue during a critical time, where LPAs sitting on adipose tissue will use the fatty acids to build triglycerides inside the fat cells, where you then need to break them down to fatty acids and glycerol to be used again.

If this were an RTS, it would be resource management where a forest is being cut down and the wood is either used directly to build, or being processed for longer term storage. Insulin is the single button that causes both to react.

You may have heard of muscle-builders using bananas or shakes immediately after workout. Time is a factor in recommending people drink their protein shakes (within 30 minutes) to trigger the desired response - your muscles are damaged, and the rebuilding process is most effective right after tissue failure.

Slow release protein shakes, such as Syntha-6 (and they have some fantastic flavors) as well as Lean Pro 8 are designed instead to provide more protein and less GI reaction, and instead have their resources available over the course of hours. They are still effective after a workout, but they have a sustained effect that something that Myoplex doesn't (IIRC, I haven't touched Myo in 18 months).

If you were to either drink one of them at ~8pm (and not eat/drink beyond that point - besides water- until you break fast) you may find that will be more effective. You could also eat a cup of cottage cheese (normal, none of this "low-fat" crap) and perhaps crushed nuts, splenda or half a chopped apple, and you could get some of the same benefit.

The one thing I've found in all of this is that you need to like what you're eating, or you can't do it.
Finding fats that you like (perhaps that fat on the side of a tasty beef cut, or eggs, or bacon) is going to be better for you than sugar-cured protein sources like honey ham, or breakfast sausages (read the ingredients, they have significant amounts of bread in them!)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:00:39 PM by Purge » Logged

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 14, 2012, 06:51:21 PM »

Syntha 6 is really good tasting but it is a little further down the line toward a weight gainer than a standard protein shake.  Pretty carby by protein standards at 15g per scoop (22g protein).  Also, it contains a blend of proteins, but the main one is whey protein concentrate, which is the cheap version of whey, opposed to the better protein isolate.  I wouldn't recommend it for people trying to watch their weight.

I get the Isopure mentioned somewhere previously in the thread and I think it's great.  The cookies and cream flavor is tasty even when just using water.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: March 14, 2012, 08:28:09 PM »

It's why I went with Lean Pro 8. Syntha 6 is only good for the variety of flavors, and if you want a nifty red bottle at the end of it. biggrin

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 15, 2012, 05:42:56 AM »

You gotta start somewhere..

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 15, 2012, 02:36:59 PM »

Starting with a working image would help. Tongue

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 16, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 15, 2012, 05:42:56 AM

You gotta start somewhere..

Is he napping between sets, or did the pec deck kill him?

So many people don't realize that in the case of late-night infomercials for the next best workout fad, simply purchasing the item will not earn results, it takes actual use.  Same goes for workout equipment at the gym.  Sleeping/dying on the equipment will not earn results, you have to actually use it.  But, I guess if you remain dead on a piece of equipment long enough you'll eventually start to lose weight through biodegradation. 

I guess you're right, you have to start somewhere.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 17, 2012, 12:35:29 PM »

At 8am DST, a loud yell of joy was heard ringing through the State of Michigan. When I stepped on the scale for my morning weigh in, the scale seemed to take forever as the digital readout flashed, until it finally settled on 199! Goodbye 50lbs!
I am rather thrilled to be under 200lbs for the first time in at least a decade. My mission is not complete as I still plan on losing at least another 35 lbs but there is no way I would have believed someone if they told me in December that I was going to drop 50 lbs by mid March. Now, I have no doubts at all that I will be in the 160's by the end of May.
It is a clear battle of mind over matter. If you have a strong enough will, then the seemingly impossible is eminently achievable. I tend to be a modest and in fact self deprecating individual but I cant help but to be extremely proud of what Ive accomplished. This is a life changer for me ( and a life saver as well! ) Fight the good fight, my friends! Be strong and nothing can stop you.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: March 18, 2012, 02:13:18 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on March 17, 2012, 12:35:29 PM

At 8am DST, a loud yell of joy was heard ringing through the State of Michigan. When I stepped on the scale for my morning weigh in, the scale seemed to take forever as the digital readout flashed, until it finally settled on 199! Goodbye 50lbs!
I am rather thrilled to be under 200lbs for the first time in at least a decade. My mission is not complete as I still plan on losing at least another 35 lbs but there is no way I would have believed someone if they told me in December that I was going to drop 50 lbs by mid March. Now, I have no doubts at all that I will be in the 160's by the end of May.
It is a clear battle of mind over matter. If you have a strong enough will, then the seemingly impossible is eminently achievable. I tend to be a modest and in fact self deprecating individual but I cant help but to be extremely proud of what Ive accomplished. This is a life changer for me ( and a life saver as well! ) Fight the good fight, my friends! Be strong and nothing can stop you.

We're all behind you, a 100% of the way!

Torches and Happiness!

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 22, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »

I revisited my spine doctor today to determine the next step in my treatment.  After almost three weeks of physical therapy there has been no alleviation or improvement of symptoms.  I continue to have the same shooting pains into my shoulder and down my arm, tingling in my arm and hand, and numbness in my hand and fingers.  My doctor has therefore put PT on hold as it hasn't done anything to help.

So, the next step is multiple direct epidural corticosteroid injections into the C6 and C7 vertebrae in my neck:  

The procedure is scheduled for Tuesday April 3rd and I am expected to be out of commission for a minimum of three days but most likely the entire rest of that week.  My doctor believes I should be back on the softball field the following week and I should be able to return to lifting heavy a week after the injections are completed.  

Barring any complications of course:

Although my strength improvement would be a plus.   icon_cool

I also will be returning to PT after initial recovery from the injections.  My doctor feels that my fitness and strength levels indicate the potential for pretty rapid recovery.  I can't imagine what this would be like if I wasn't in shape.

I can't say that I'm looking forward to the procedure, but I am hopeful that it will at least alleviate my symptoms.  I'm out of non-invasive treatment options so the injections have become a necessity, and the pain and discomfort have become so cumbersome that I've resigned myself to trying the injection route.  I think my wife is a little more concerned about it than I am.  My doctor prescribed something to alleviate any anxiety I might have the day of, equating it to "a shot of tequila and a pill," but my wife may need it more than I will.

That Friday we travel to Pittsburgh for my wife's grandmother's birthday and don't return until the following Wednesday, so I would have been taking time off from the gym anyway.  And it has gotten to the point that I have to deal with this problem as irreversible nerve damage is a very real concern.  

But until then I can lift and play softball to my heart's content, within the limitations of my symptoms of course.  With three softball practices and scrimmages scheduled over the next three days plus the season starting next week, and my normal lifting regiment, I have every intention of doing just that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:39:38 PM by PeteRock » Logged

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 23, 2012, 12:15:21 AM »

On a positive note I managed to bench my own weight in dumbbells today for my chest/tris workout.  2-75's for a total of 150lbs for 2 reps. 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: