http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:14:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 201X Health Improvement Thread  (Read 17999 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2012, 04:05:27 PM »

That's on the docket for tomorrow.  Tonight is 3 pints at the pub.  I have 132 more to get my plate at the Flying Saucer.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2012, 04:07:51 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 03, 2012, 04:05:27 PM

That's on the docket for tomorrow.  Tonight is 3 pints at the pub.  I have 132 more to get my plate at the Flying Saucer.

I'll hold you to that.  In return I'll go today and Sunday morning.  Seems like a fair trade.   thumbsup

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2012, 04:40:16 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on February 03, 2012, 01:40:05 PM

This is also why he states that exercise is not the route to weight reduction.

I would amend this statement slightly (which you sort of do as you go on, but anyway) to say 'exercise alone is not the route to sustained healthy weight'.  You change your diet and don't work out and you can lose weight... but you change your diet and DO workout, and you can really lose weight (and just feel better).

Quote from: rshetts2 on February 03, 2012, 01:40:05 PM

Simply put, you need to make permanent behavioral changes, if you want permanent weight loss.  Otherwise, as I said, you are just jumping back on the rollercoaster. 

Exactly right... and exercise should be a part of that, but without changing the diet to something sustainable and healthy, you are sunk in the long run.  You can be skinny and not be healthy.  Exercise is, along with things like good food, the route to true long term health, and having a life you can really take part in.  I really, really believe that.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2012, 04:43:18 PM »

We all have to find what works for us, what we can sustain, and as rshetts said, hopefully maintain. There's a mantra in there somewhere: refrain, sustain, maintain.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2012, 09:23:51 PM »

Cool thread.  I am on Fitocracy too so feel free to friend me up.  I need more fist bumps!  User name is kathode.  Been in some crunch at work but I'm hopefully coming out of it for a bit now.

I've been pushing up on my deadlifts and squats the past couple months.  I want to hit 300lbs on both before I start to cut and I'm pretty close.  I managed to squeeze out a single deadlift rep at 290lbs this morning.  I'm at 285 for my squat but having trouble forcing myself to get down low on those heavy reps.  Still working at it and improving bit by bit.

I do a simple routine - I go to the gym every other day, and alternate through chest/tris, back/bis, and legs/shoulders.  Concentrating on 7-10 sets of the heavy lifts - bench press, deadlift, squat.  I stick to three reps per set on those to push for strength.  

Also might be of interest that I always work out in a fasted state.  I work out early in the morning and have to get out of bed and go, so I take N.O.Xplode and a few BCAA pills.  Other than that it's just water until I'm done, when I down a protein shake, shower, and then have a full breakfast.  First couple of times were tough but now I prefer it to working out with a protein shake sitting on my stomach.  Unfortunately working out in the evening doesn't fit my life at this time.  Plus the gym is full of douchebros then anyway slywink  At 6:30AM it's just me and the elderly.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:25:36 PM by kathode » Logged
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2012, 11:42:12 PM »

Quote from: kathode on February 03, 2012, 09:23:51 PM

Cool thread.  I am on Fitocracy too so feel free to friend me up.  I need more fist bumps!

Prop-bomb complete.   thumbsup

I've been pushing up on my deadlifts and squats the past couple months.  I want to hit 300lbs on both before I start to cut and I'm pretty close.  I managed to squeeze out a single deadlift rep at 290lbs this morning.  I'm at 285 for my squat but having trouble forcing myself to get down low on those heavy reps.  Still working at it and improving bit by bit.

Trying to get my DL up to 300 as well.  Currently at 205 for working sets with 225 being my highest to date (while doing Starting Strength I was up to 285 but lost some strength after a concussion and then a shoulder injury).  Squat is only at 180 with my highest being 190, so I'm working toward 225 as a current goal.

Broke my bench plateau today and managed 165, but the last rep was hella tough.

Also went after the 100-dip quest.  Did 10 sets of 10.  Holy christ.  Now will someone help me pick my nose because I can't fucking reach it. 

Also might be of interest that I always work out in a fasted state.  I work out early in the morning and have to get out of bed and go, so I take N.O.Xplode and a few BCAA pills.  Other than that it's just water until I'm done, when I down a protein shake, shower, and then have a full breakfast.  First couple of times were tough but now I prefer it to working out with a protein shake sitting on my stomach.  Unfortunately working out in the evening doesn't fit my life at this time.  Plus the gym is full of douchebros then anyway slywink  At 6:30AM it's just me and the elderly.

I don't lift in a complete fasted state, but I don't eat any less than 2 hours before my workout, and whatever I do eat is pretty light.  So by the time my workout comes around I'm not completely fasted, but not full on food, either. 

Out of curiosity what is your weight in putting up those numbers?  I'm always fascinated by strength-to-weight ratios.  For me DLing 225 isn't bad for someone weighing 150 lbs, but my goal is to eventually do double my own weight. 

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2012, 04:37:13 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 03, 2012, 11:42:12 PM

Out of curiosity what is your weight in putting up those numbers?  I'm always fascinated by strength-to-weight ratios.  For me DLing 225 isn't bad for someone weighing 150 lbs, but my goal is to eventually do double my own weight.  

Weighing in just above 180 now.  My body fat % is certainly higher than I like but I tend to be pretty ectomorphic, so I have to shove a lot of food in to keep making gains.  Part of my after-workout meal is currently a few spoonfuls of frozen custard smile
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2012, 11:25:27 PM »

I'm back to being paleo + some cheese and it just amazes me the differences compared to when I was just eating what is normally considered 'healthy'. I spent 3 weeks overseas where I was surfing, paddling in surf skis, doing pullups, pushups, running and swimming every day (I'd typically get 3 of those done in a day, sometimes more). I ate decently well, but didn't try to avoid any types of foods. Ate when I was hungry, stopped mostly when I was full. I put on some muscle mass, and along with it body fat.

I came back and have been paleo for 1 month after being non-paleo for about 6 months or so. In one month my body fat has dropped, my energy levels have improved, I am sleeping better, I am less tired... the list goes on and on. Now I just need to get time to seriously lift weights again. I typically weigh in around 160-165. At my peak I was deadlifting a little over 300, and did a single set of 20 squats at 215lbs. Sets of 15-20 pullups weren't a big drama for me. I'm a long ways off that right now, but my back and shoulders are very strong thanks to the swimming and pullups.

The key is finding something that works for you, that you can keep doing long-term. I've realized for me that is a grain-free diet, with a little cheese here and there. The exercise is an important factor for overall health. Strength training is a must for any person. I personally am a huge fan of Mark's Daily Apple and his workout philosophy which boils down to this:

Twice a week, lift heavy things.
Four times a week, move slowly/play (low level aerobic activity)
Once a week, sprint (all-out effort).

The lift heavy things can be done in four exercises. Pushups. Pullups. Squats. Planks. You can branch beyond that if you want, and I would encourage it, but not really necessary. Feel free to do with it what you want, but it might be helpful to some of you.
5 times a week do a low intensity workout (like walking).
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2012, 02:36:46 AM »

If you're in a routine and want to try something different, go with a slow-burn workout.

Takes about 30-45 min.

Pick one workout per major muscle group (I do 10-12 : chest, shoulder, back, tricep, bicep, lowback, abs, oblique, thighs, calves, forearm, rotator cuff), starting with the large muscles first, and do the following for each:

You're going to do 1 set of (ideally) 2.5 - 4.5 reps, and this should take 50 - 90 seconds to complete.
At both the top and mid-way through each rep, you move 1 inch in 3 seconds, and then speed up to complete the half-rep in 7 seconds.

That's right, INCREDIBLY SLOW. That first second of the first three, it'll feel like you're not moving it at all. You're killing the force advantage of inertia and gravity, and forcing your muscles to fully control the weight.  So for one full rep, you spend 20 seconds. Since you only do one set, you should take enough weight that you experience total muscle failure within 90 seconds (4.5 reps). If you don't reach failure in 90 seconds, KEEP GOING until you do. Note that next time you need to bump up the weight.

Also important: make sure you have a spotter, and that way you can actually FAIL rather than just get "close enough".

I find that I do about 80-85% of my max weight for a 6x3set. Going this slow forces all four of your muscle fiber lengths to fail, and should you do the body parts, you will trigger a chemical response in your system that will drastically increase the muscle-rebuild cycle that lasts for a week.

------------------------------------------
TOTALLY UNRELATED TO SLOWBURN
------------------------------------------
Some stuff I found while thrashing about on the interwebs:

29 billion reasons to lie about cholesterol looks to be an interesting documentary. I just hope they are grounded in fact, and not something that comes across as a bunch of "nutters". Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2012, 05:22:33 AM »

Christ, this 16-day week span is going to be an absolute nightmare.  Was at a client location last week with a killer cafeteria and no workout facilities.  While I didn't go whole hog, I didn't eat nearly as well as I should have.  Add in the fact I was typically working from 5:30am to 10pm, and I was simply too exhausted to do any sort of exercise once I got back to the room.  Put on 3 lbs in a week.

So now I'm home for three days (2 of which will be 12-14 hour work days), then we head to Hawaii for a 9-day vacation.  Can't imagine I'm going to be overly motivated to work out there either, although I know I'll really need to.  It's taken 6 months to lose this 20 lbs...I refuse to put half of it back on because I got lazy for 2 weeks.

Why is it so gorram easy to gain weight and so gorram hard to take it off?   icon_evil

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2012, 05:25:54 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 05, 2012, 05:22:33 AM

Christ, this 16-day week span is going to be an absolute nightmare.  Was at a client location last week with a killer cafeteria and no workout facilities.  While I didn't go whole hog, I didn't eat nearly as well as I should have.  Add in the fact I was typically working from 5:30am to 10pm, and I was simply too exhausted to do any sort of exercise once I got back to the room.  Put on 3 lbs in a week.

While merely investing in something like this without any intention of using it is a waste of cash, one thing I've found to really help me when my travel schedule leaves little time to work out, or if I'm in an area without any gym access (like at the in-laws for the holidays), I typically travel with the Go Fit Travel Gym.  While it doesn't completely replace a full gym, it allows you to still do some resistance work and get the blood moving.  Plus it's light and takes up minimal space in your suitcase.  

So now I'm home for three days (2 of which will be 12-14 hour work days), then we head to Hawaii for a 9-day vacation.  Can't imagine I'm going to be overly motivated to work out there either, although I know I'll really need to.  It's taken 6 months to lose this 20 lbs...I refuse to put half of it back on because I got lazy for 2 weeks.

It's hard to get to the gym on vacation, but when we traveled to Clearwater, Florida, to stay with a friend at her family's condo, we fortunately had four avid fitness nuts with us.  So four of us found a local gym with a week-long fitness pass for something like $50 and all worked together to motivate each other to make sure to go.  We'd Jersey Shore it by all piling into the group SUV first thing in the morning so that we'd be back in time to join the rest for breakfast and heading to the beach.  On some days the rest of our friends would even come and head to the grocery to restock our food, booze, beer, etc, and when they were finished shopping we'd be finishing up our workouts.  It worked really well for our group and was a lot of fun.  Working out wasn't just an obligation but a fun part of our trip, and it made the binge drinking and eating far less guilt-laden.  Cab's hee-ah!  

If you're staying at a resort in Hawaii you might find a pretty kick-ass gym with a gorgeous view, which only makes working out that much more a part of the vacation.  But, even something as simple as jogging on the beach and doing some bodyweight exercises is at least something.  If you are that concerned about it, start the day early, go for a run to get the blood moving, then do some push-ups, bodyweight squats, lunges, calf raises, pull-ups if you can find something to hang from (or chin-ups to get your biceps as well), crunches, good-mornings, narrow push-ups to hit your triceps, and in less than 30 minutes you have a full-body workout covered.  Not a major sacrifice and a good way to keep from having a two-week setback.

Why is it so gorram easy to gain weight and so gorram hard to take it off?   icon_evil

This challenge seems to get even tougher as you get older and testosterone levels continue to drop.   disgust
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 05:27:57 PM by PeteRock » Logged

tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2012, 08:50:51 PM »

My home gym setup -

I need to do some clean up obviously. Somehow I've ended up with 3 benches.

Rack and pulley system I scored for free. I mainly just use it as a squat rack right now-

New bench, bar and weights I scored for cheap off a co-worker -

Dumbbell rack and old bench -

Treadmill and table I built for it -

Another shot of the rack -

And a shot of the ROCK! - headbang
g]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:18:26 PM by tiktokman » Logged
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on February 08, 2012, 08:50:51 PM

My home gym setup -

I need to do some clean up obviously. Somehow I've ended up with 3 benches.

Rack and pulley system I scored for free. I mainly just use it as a squat rack right now-

New bench, bar and weights I scored for cheap off a co-worker -

Dumbbell rack and old bench -

Treadmill and table I built for it -

Another shot of the rack -

And a shot of the ROCK! - headbang

None of your pics work for me.  But I'm sure it's awesome.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2012, 10:18:41 PM »

Fixed.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2012, 11:29:44 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on February 08, 2012, 10:18:41 PM

Fixed.

Nice.

I miss my college days when we had a comparable gym in our basement and a close friend and I were able to lift together.  You'd know where to find us by following the noise, which consisted of Rage Against The Machine blaring from the basement and our singing along with it.  He currently lives in Pittsburgh and works as the head dinosaur curator at Carnegie Museum, so I only really get to see him once or twice a year.  But I really miss those days we were able to lift together as we pushed each other each and every session. 

I currently lift at Mountainside Fitness in southeast Gilbert, about 10 minutes from my house. 

Today was back/biceps, but a friend indicated I may be doing too much accessory volume, so I cut back on volume and increased intensity.  Went up in weight in all exercises, including 2 final deadlift working sets of 225 lbs, 35 lb curls, four sets of pull-ups, and barbell rows at 130 lbs.  Finished with six sets of planks.

Tonight have 2 1/2 hours of softball coming up.  Been talking with Dick Talens over at Fitocracy and considering doing an intermittent fasting program for a month or so to see if I can get my body fat % from 14% down to 10% or under for the approaching summer without losing strength and muscle mass.  Going to up my protein macros and limit carb intake on rest days.  Will see how it goes.  Might track with progress photos as I do the program throughout March and maybe into April.

For now still feeling good about my strength progression.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2012, 06:11:55 PM »

I have been having some "odd" pain issues in my left shoulder, elbow, and fingers, including loss of feeling in my thumb, index finger, and middle finger, associated weakness in my left arm, and discomfort when sleeping or even just sitting on the couch.  So I saw an orthopedic specialist today to determine the problem.

He first took a number of x-rays of my shoulder and went through a series of movements to determine if the problem is my rotator cuff.  As none of the movements bothered my shoulder at all, he thought that it could possibly be a problem in my neck.  Back to the x-ray room.

The determination my doctor made is that I have a comparable injury to Peyton Manning.  I've got degradation of the discs between my 5th and 6th vertebrae and also between my 6th and 7th vertebrae which is causing noticeable compression between both sets, plus I have slight herniation possibly associated with the trauma from my severe concussion back in August.  The compression and herniation is placing pressure on the nerves leading into my shoulder, arm, and fingers, and causing the pain I've been dealing with. 

Next is an MRI, then seeing a neck and spine specialist in Ahwatukee for treatment options.  For now I can continue with my strength training and softball schedule, and physical therapy may be a potential temporary solution.  Currently surgery isn't necessary, but the doctor said it's tough to tell if it may eventually become necessary.

Weeeeeee.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2012, 06:17:39 PM »

That sucks, Pete.  Here's hoping they can get you back to 100% with a minimum of fuss.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »

Damn Pete, that blows. Here's to a quick recovery...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2012, 03:08:57 PM »

Code:
02/10 - 250.8 (34.0)
02/03 - 252.2 (34.2)
01/27 - 251.4 (34.1)
01/20 - 253.6 (34.4)
01/13 - 250.4 (34.0)
01/06 - 251.8 (34.1)
01/02 - 253.0 (34.3)

Three days I manage to hover just below 250.  And then I a decent dinner one night...

But I'm not greedy.  That's still almost a pound and a half, and given that my scale works on 0.2 increments, I'm just going to call it that.

I last made the gym on Saturday, and have felt lousy most of the week.  I came home from work on Wednesday and was in bed by 6:15.  Usually when I do that, I end up awake for a few hours in the middle of the night.  Aside from a few wakeups, I was asleep and in bed until 8 am the next morning, just in time to get up and go to work. 

I'm going to try and shoehorn a trip to the gym in this weekend to get back on track.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2012, 04:27:23 PM »

Progress is progress.  And I'm of the opinion that gradual progress associated with a lifestyle change is far more sustainable than going for quick, drastic losses with changes that cannot be sustained or do not fit a normal lifestyle.  And "cheat" meals are a part of life and shouldn't be avoided due to diet obsession.  I've been better about not drinking beer almost every day, but last night after a good showing on the softball field I felt I earned the 4 or 5 I had when we got home.  Tomorrow is a friend's birthday celebration complete with mini golf, go-karts, and then gourmet burgers and beer back at their place.  I can assure you that my "cut" for the summer won't come in the way of me enjoying the hell out of the day and associated food.  Saturday is an off day for me, and Sunday I'll be right back in the gym.  As long as my Peyton Manning disease doesn't flare up.   disgust

Were you unable to make it to the gym due to illness, or a different kind of lousy?  I've been dealing with the different kind of lousy and have to force myself to go, but it's one of the few things I feel I have control over anymore and it at least helps to exhaust my system enough to be too tired to worry for a bit.

Legs/shoulders today.  Hoping to get my squats back up to 190 where I left off during the Starting Strength program, and while a short-term goal is to finally break 200, I'd really like to reach the "squat 1.5x your body weight" achievement which would be 225.  My plan is to shoot for it before the end of March.  My initial strength progression since incorporating squats was pretty rapid, but now that my CNS has caught up the progression has been a little slower (which is to be expected).  Also thinking about trying to standing shoulder press 2 55-lb dumbbells, which would come pretty close to the weight I was lifting with a barbell.   icon_eek  Unfortunately the BB really bothers my neck and shoulder, so I'm forced to go with DBs for this particular exercise. 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »

I could have made Tuesday, but decided to push it out, and solely a motivation issue.  Wednesday and Thursday was feeling bad enough that I didn't want to leave the house at all, but forced myself to make it to work.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2012, 06:58:36 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 10, 2012, 06:46:25 PM

I could have made Tuesday, but decided to push it out, and solely a motivation issue.  Wednesday and Thursday was feeling bad enough that I didn't want to leave the house at all, but forced myself to make it to work.

Do you feel better post-workout if you're able to force yourself to go, or do you notice little change?  Some days I have issues with motivation or other emotional setbacks, and while working out doesn't necessarily magically cure things, I'm at least usually better off having gone than not, even if it means merely being too exhausted to fixate or obsess.  

Another obstacle can be one's perspective on exercise.  Looking at it as an obligation or something you have to do can be self-defeating.  It helps me that lifting is something I want to do, but such a perspective isn't necessarily something that comes easily or can be forced.  Some people like working out, and some use it as a means to some type of weight loss or fitness end.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:01:32 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2012, 07:59:53 PM »

I do feel better having gone, but I still have the mental block getting over it to actually get up and go.  That's going to take time and mental training to change. 

When I skipped Tuesday, I had every intent of making it the next day, but malady prevented anything but sleep.  I didn't spend the night on my couch with a box of cookies, I was unconscious before 7 p.m.  Thursday was a little better, but I still felt lousy. 

And I use the cardio as a way to get through some of the shows that I want to watch from Netflix streaming.  I don't watch them if I don't go to the gym.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2012, 10:16:15 PM »

Had an 1883 point workout today.  Hit a few personal bests, moved past my squat plateau and managed 190 lbs for 5 reps on my last working set, putting me that much closer to 200.  Shrugged 245, upped my stiff-legged and romanian deadlifts for my hamstrings up to 155, and did two sets of standing overhead shoulder presses with 50-lb dumbbells (one more set than last shoulder workout).  With softball tonight that'll take my day's activities to over 2200 points.  My neck issue hindered a few of my exercises, but for now I can merely hope to manage the discomfort and not let it discourage me.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2012, 11:34:06 PM »

I was all set to go to the gym yesterday after getting my haircut.  I kicked over the Wet floor sign, bent down to pick it up, and managed to make the pull in my lower back REALLY unhappy.  So much so that I was grateful that I had some pain meds from my tonsil surgery left that could help take the edge off the knife in my back.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2012, 05:31:03 PM »

If you kick the sign over every day for a month, eventually you will be able to pick it up without hurting yourself. smile
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2012, 06:50:14 PM »

Whatever Im doing, I guess its working for me.  Following my doctors advice and guidelines I have gone from 249 to 211 as of today.  I have had a very steady loss of around 7 lbs every two weeks and I am still maintaining that pace.  I am very excited because my eating habits have adjusted to the point that I do not struggle with hunger and recognize when I get the urge to eat to satisfy other needs.  I have become so confident in my situation that Ive actually lowered my target weight from 175 to 165 because I now know I can do it.  If I can stay on pace, I still have 3 months to go to reach that point.  I am currently at my lowest weight point in about 6 years and when I pass under the 200 lbs mark I will hit my lowest weight in 12.  Once I reach my goal weight, I will have achieved a weight I havent seen since the 80's  lol.  Now thats kind of a fun thought.  I am really looking forward to this summer!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2012, 07:59:47 PM »

I just pulled my lower back.  @#$(*&%

I normally look to the side when doing deadlifts, but I decided to look straight ahead.

Felt the twinge in my left lower back on my third set. *Fist Shaking*

Granted, this is after 4 set of squats, maxing out at @ 345lbs.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »

Had the day off yesterday so I had enough time to work in a 3rd set of everything. Bumped the weights up and it felt great. Heavy, but great. We'll see how it feels tomorrow morning when I am crunched for time and tired.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2012, 11:13:13 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on February 14, 2012, 06:50:14 PM

Whatever Im doing, I guess its working for me.  Following my doctors advice and guidelines I have gone from 249 to 211 as of today.  I have had a very steady loss of around 7 lbs every two weeks and I am still maintaining that pace.  I am very excited because my eating habits have adjusted to the point that I do not struggle with hunger and recognize when I get the urge to eat to satisfy other needs.  I have become so confident in my situation that Ive actually lowered my target weight from 175 to 165 because I now know I can do it.  If I can stay on pace, I still have 3 months to go to reach that point.  I am currently at my lowest weight point in about 6 years and when I pass under the 200 lbs mark I will hit my lowest weight in 12.  Once I reach my goal weight, I will have achieved a weight I havent seen since the 80's  lol.  Now thats kind of a fun thought.  I am really looking forward to this summer!

thumbsup
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »

Another week of lifting in the books. Feeling good. We'll see how I feel next week when I up the weights again. Once the weather improves some I'm hoping to add in some biking on my off days.

Here's a good article on over-analyzing - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fundamental-principles-versus-minor-details.html
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »

That is a good article.  So many fixate on doing things "right" that they just never get around to actually doing something.

Got my MRI scheduled for today, then after the results are in I'll see a neck/spine specialist.  Still having discomfort, pain, and loss of feeling has extended from my fingers into my hand.  It comes and goes, so it's not like I'm carrying a dead club at my side, but it's aggravating and generally disruptive in my lifestyle.  The weakness in my elbow associated with the nerve problem is also hampering my strength progression, but like the article says, at least I'm doing something.  My bench isn't progressing as I would like, but everything else is coming along ok.  Deadlift working sets should go up to 225 this week, and I hope to give 200 a try for squats. 

That hard part is accepting some of my body's limitations.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2012, 04:55:01 PM »

My lower back is feeling better (not 100%) but I'm going to the gym today. Not going for 3 days is killing me. I think I might be addicted.

Also, my upper body muscle tone has significantly improved. Big time.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2012, 05:37:29 PM »

I've not been doing anything, as my back is still bothering me.  I think I need to give it a bit more rest, as it was still twinging this morning, and then get back to the gym and do some rotational exercises focused on the lower back.

Code:
02/17 - 251.2 (34.1)
02/10 - 250.8 (34.0)
02/03 - 252.2 (34.2)
01/27 - 251.4 (34.1)
01/20 - 253.6 (34.4)
01/13 - 250.4 (34.0)
01/06 - 251.8 (34.1)
01/02 - 253.0 (34.3)

I spent two days below 250.  I might have managed to below it today, but my gf surprised me by making me dinner at my place last night.  And it was awesome.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2012, 07:32:09 PM »

I got sick last Wednesday, so I only worked out that morning, then went for a 2 hour XC ski on friday since my wife and I had planned the day off together (yay Afrin!), then nothing Saturday and Sunday.  Result: I missed my Thursday and Saturday runs.  Sick sucks.

This week I hit it pretty good... an hour on the bike trainer Monday, core workout + 2.3 mile run on Tuesday, 70 minute strength circuit on Wednesday, 20 minute high intensity circuit yesterday followed by a 2.1 mile run, and in about an hour I'm heading off for friday hockey at the rink. 

Tomorrow is going to be my longest run of my new running program - doing a full 5K.  I've been forcing myself to run slow, and it's working in terms of not developing the IT band stuff I'd been getting with my previous forays into running.  I had been running 8:45/miles, and I started by slowing them all the way down to 11:30s.  Over the last month I've gradually (without really noticing) worked back up to about 10:30s. I'm really enjoying it.  I figure with this approach I should be able to gradually speed up while gradually getting my body used to running, with the goal of running my hometown's July 4th half marathon.  Then I've got the 72.5 mile Laramie Enduro mountain bike race at the end of July... those are my big goals before finishing off the season with the Dakota Five-O 50 mile mountain bike race on Labor Day weekend.

I've basically stopped drinking alcohol almost completely, as well as returning to strict calorie counting, and I feel pretty great these days (colds aside).

Feeling good about this year.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2012, 07:44:12 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on February 17, 2012, 04:39:48 PM

Another week of lifting in the books. Feeling good. We'll see how I feel next week when I up the weights again. Once the weather improves some I'm hoping to add in some biking on my off days.

Here's a good article on over-analyzing - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fundamental-principles-versus-minor-details.html

"What matters is actually doing something."

thumbsup
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2012, 08:27:10 PM »

Made it in. Benched my own weight (on my fourth set, x8), among other non-knee or lowback exercises.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2012, 10:32:46 PM »

Only managed to gain 1.5 lbs over my extended break, which was great news.  Can't wait to get back into my gym routine next week.

Bad news is that my lower back continues to get worse and worse.  Been to 2 different docs now, and they both just say it's "natural aging" and there's really nothing that can be done about it.  Not so sure I agree when I literally can't bend more than about 20 degrees or twist at all without pain that damn near knocks me to the floor.  Time to look for another doc, I guess.   icon_mad

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2012, 11:27:02 PM »

MRI took forever, so it cocked up my afternoon.  Had hoped to hit the gym after, but it was already too late and had to head home.  Just going to have to hit back-to-back days Saturday and Sunday morning.  I may not have enough recovery time to hit it as heavy as usual on Sunday, but at least I'll get a workout in and if I eat prior I might still be okay.  I want that 200lb squat milestone.  

Also got new wraps to help my grip with shrugs and deadlifts, so my shrug weight should go up even more on Sunday. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:44:20 PM by PeteRock » Logged

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2012, 11:55:55 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 17, 2012, 10:32:46 PM

Only managed to gain 1.5 lbs over my extended break, which was great news.  Can't wait to get back into my gym routine next week.

Bad news is that my lower back continues to get worse and worse.  Been to 2 different docs now, and they both just say it's "natural aging" and there's really nothing that can be done about it.  Not so sure I agree when I literally can't bend more than about 20 degrees or twist at all without pain that damn near knocks me to the floor.  Time to look for another doc, I guess.   icon_mad

Have you tried doing core focused workouts a couple times a week?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: