http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 05:04:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 201X Health Improvement Thread  (Read 15714 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: March 23, 2012, 04:07:18 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 23, 2012, 12:15:21 AM

On a positive note I managed to bench my own weight in dumbbells today for my chest/tris workout.  2-75's for a total of 150lbs for 2 reps. 

GraTZ!

Now lets see you do two of my weight. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 23, 2012, 04:18:36 AM »

Quote from: Purge on March 23, 2012, 04:07:18 AM

On a positive note I managed to bench my own weight in dumbbells today for my chest/tris workout.  2-75's for a total of 150lbs for 2 reps. 

GraTZ!

Now lets see you do two of my weight. slywink

I can at least deadlift your weight.   icon_cool

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 23, 2012, 12:38:43 PM »

On a positive note I managed to bench my own weight in dumbbells today for my chest/tris workout.  2-75's for a total of 150lbs for 2 reps.  

thumbsup  Nice work dude!

I might be able to bench press your weight in dumbbells...mine, not so much.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2012, 04:39:31 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 23, 2012, 04:07:18 AM

GraTZ!

Quote from: Gratch on March 23, 2012, 12:38:43 PM

thumbsup  Nice work dude!

Thanks guys!  There was a time when I was just as focused on weight loss as I was on strength gains, but having reached my goal weight ( which still fluctuates a little depending on whether I'm cutting for the summer or less concerned about body fat % in the winter), my main focus lately has been strength gains and performance in the gym.

But, when judging personal development, especially as compared to other veteran lifters, it's tough to compare raw weights when body composition, overall weight, and general body shape all influence capabilities.  I have a local buddy who commented to me that he can also bench 75-lb dumbbells, more or less trivializing my milestone.  He also weighs 50 lbs more than I do.  For me, I consider strength-to-weight ratios to be more important than general overall strength.  Again, I'm speaking just for me.  Sure, if I ate like an ox I could improve my lifts more rapidly, but I'd work against my current focus of decreasing body fat % while still maintaining muscle growth and strength gains.  Those gains may be more gradual, but proper diet still allows for it even when on a cut.  Lots of "clean" protein, plenty of greens, and limiting carbs.

So while benching 75-lb dumbbells may seem a bit anticlimactic to some, for me it means benching my own weight in DBs.  And as it took so long for me to be able to do so with a barbell, it's an even bigger accomplishment to do so with DBs due to the additional muscles involved.

I'm psyched about my progress and appreciate the support of the group.  Just as rshetts has done incredibly well with his weight loss and enjoys the ongoing support of the community, I think those already at a healthy weight but doing other things to forward fitness development shouldn't be excluded.  Ultimately I'd prefer to see a focus on both weight loss and muscle development by those seeking a healthier lifestyle as I think the two shouldn't be mutually exclusive, but any progress is worthwhile overall.

Which reminds me, where has tiktokman been?  I haven't seen any workouts posted at Fitocracy lately and he was finally starting to get to working weights that were posing a decent challenge for him. 

Quote from: Gratch on March 23, 2012, 12:38:43 PM

I might be able to bench press your weight in dumbbells...mine, not so much.  frown

Keep at it.  I used to think that while I could do it with a barbell, I'd never reach the ability to do it with DBs.  And I don't think my lower body weight makes it any less of an achievement.  I've noticed that you do a lot of smith machine work.  Have you considered focusing more on free weights and getting away from the smith machine's aid in stabilization?  That isn't to say you're wasting time with the smith machine.  Some people hate on it a little to much, but I see little problem with it.  And it depends on your overall goals.  I wanted to bench my weight in DBs.  So I did some things to reach that goal (improved shoulder strength, triceps, core strength, etc).  If it isn't a goal of yours, don't worry about it.  I've seen your workouts, and you're still lifting like a beast.   thumbsup

I like to think that I am too, just a miniature beast.   icon_lol

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 24, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »

Back day.  Deadlifts actually felt really good this morning despite it being a fasted workout and after two hours of softball last night.  Moved up from three working sets of 235 and two of 245 to two sets of 235 and three of 245.  Thought about going for a new PR but instead squeezed out an extra rep on my last set of 245 and it taxed the hell out of me.  Didn't want it to hamper the rest of my workout. 

Shoulder strength still seems to be holding up okay despite the disc issue, although the discomfort when resting seems to be getting worse.  The slightest movement forward causes pain, numbness, tingling, etc.  I never thought I'd say this, but "injection day" can't get here soon enough.  But I'm going to get my gym reps in as much as I can before that day comes. 

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 24, 2012, 07:34:53 PM »

Just finished week four of the Hal Higdon half marathon training plan, so ran 5 this morning, and then went for a 22 mile road bike ride up this canyon from town.  Awesome weather - good times.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 25, 2012, 04:22:34 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 23, 2012, 04:39:31 PM

I've noticed that you do a lot of smith machine work.  Have you considered focusing more on free weights and getting away from the smith machine's aid in stabilization?  That isn't to say you're wasting time with the smith machine.  Some people hate on it a little to much, but I see little problem with it.  And it depends on your overall goals.  

I only use the Smith machine for bench press because I work out solo and don't have a spotter.  I avoid it for anything else and try to use free weights as much as possible.  I'd actually love to go back to doing a regular bench, but doing it with no spot scares the shit out of me.  I'm fine doing everything else without a spot, but have always had this paranoia of getting pinned under the bar when I conk on the last rep.  Besides, I haven't found anyone yet who is willing to work out with me at 5:30am.  smile

I really do need to start pinning down what my actual goals are.  It was initially weight loss, but I'm getting to the point now where I've gained some pretty significant muscle mass and need to start toning.  I always feel better after lifting higher weights, but don't think it's really getting the results I need at this point.  I'd always heard "low weight, more reps" for tone (vice versa for bulk), but the folks over on the Fitocracy boards were poo-pooing that as not being valid.  Is that no longer accurate?

P.S.  I'm headed to Phoenix tomorrow and will be there all week.  Love to join you for some beers if you've got an open evening.

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 25, 2012, 11:19:01 AM »

Gratch, it's worth it for you to do some free weights even if it isn't til failure. Doing dumb-bell presses to a point short of failure will still make all of the stabilizing muscles work hard and get stronger, which is really where the benefits lie. Don't think of it as being a pec exercise when you do it. That might help smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: March 25, 2012, 07:17:53 PM »

I'm resting up my shoulder, which has me off weights. Back to cycling to work in 2 days.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 25, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 25, 2012, 04:22:34 AM

P.S.  I'm headed to Phoenix tomorrow and will be there all week.  Love to join you for some beers if you've got an open evening.

Awesome.   icon_biggrin

I'll send you a PM with info.  And if you should want to try to hook up for a gym session during your visit I have 10 free passes, plus friends are always free every Sunday.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 27, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 25, 2012, 04:22:34 AM

I really do need to start pinning down what my actual goals are.  It was initially weight loss, but I'm getting to the point now where I've gained some pretty significant muscle mass and need to start toning.  I always feel better after lifting higher weights, but don't think it's really getting the results I need at this point.  I'd always heard "low weight, more reps" for tone (vice versa for bulk), but the folks over on the Fitocracy boards were poo-pooing that as not being valid.  Is that no longer accurate?

From what I've read, the idea of "toning" associated with low weight/high reps seems to have been deemed a "myth."  The reasoning behind it is that people interested in "toning" are actually interested in visible muscle definition and shape.  The problem is that many believe in "firming" or "toning" muscle, when in actuality muscles do not "firm up" or "tone."  Muscles grow.  Therefore strength training is necessary to grow muscles. 

The next step then is to get them to show.  In this case the only way to display more muscular definition is to shed overlying body fat.  Building muscle provides the aesthetic framework, and decreasing body fat % allows them to show more prominently.  It's a similar concept with abs, which are made in the kitchen, not the gym.  Therefore diet becomes a more important element in your training program.

Now, keep in mind I'm not talking about rep counts.  Bodybuilders often use weights allowing for higher reps per set (10-15), whereas lifters more interested in overall strength (such as in 1-rep maxes) typically focus in the 3 to 5 rep range.  There are also differing opinions on volume (how many working sets for each exercise).  You'll see all sorts of differing opinions, but some suggest that higher reps stimulate more hypertrophy, but not necessarily greater overall strength.  Granted, you have to get stronger to lift greater weights, but compound lift strength training is thought to be more effective.

So what should you do?  This gets back to personal goals.  Are you aspiring to look like a fitness model?  Do you want to fixate on symmetry, specified hypertrophy, and spend countless hours in the gym doing isolation work?  Or do you want to pick up a Volvo?  Odds are these are both extremes, and you're hoping for something in the middle.  Getting stronger while also looking better. 

While I am far from any sort of expert, I am still a veteran lifter, and I can at least speak for what works for me.

I primarily lift for strength gains, focusing on compound lifts, but I also include a few isolation exercises as accessory lifts at the end of each workout to make sure to hit the "vanity muscles."  I'm sure you've seen lifters over at Fitocracy repeating the same things over and over again: "Why you doing curls, brah? Squats and deadlifts for life, bro! Squats + GOMAD = GAINZ!"   Roll Eyes 

In my case, I did Starting Strength for a while to improve my core strength, CNS, and incorporate my lower body into my workouts (I used to be "that guy" that only did upper body work), and while my compound lifts went through the roof, I noticed lacking strength and development in what some over at Fitocracy consider to be "vanity muscles", meaning my biceps, triceps, and calves.  So I've kept a number of the foundational concepts fundamental to Starting Strength in my routine, but I've also incorporated more accessory work to improve my body's symmetry, image, and functional strength (if you don't improve bicep and tricep strength, while compound lifts hit them in some way, you may get to a point where elbow pain or shoulder problems hinder progress because accessory muscles aren't developing as well as more major groups). 

For compound lifts I do five or six working sets of 5 to 8 reps (typically closer to 5), and for accessory lifts I do five sets of 7 to 10 reps.  I've been happier with my development, I haven't been hindered with the joint problems I had when first doing Starting Strength, and my overall strength continues to improve.

Now, on to diet.  I'm not looking to get this back to an argument on what the "best" diet plan is, but to get the "toning" effect you're considering, you'll have to make some diet adjustments.  You'll want to keep up with protein intake for continued muscle growth and recovery, but stick with "cleaner" proteins like lean meats.  Yes, you need fat, too, but you can get that from olive oil, dairy, etc.  Limit processed carbs, focus on eating more carbs on training days and less on rest days (carb cycling), and limit calories slightly but not too much so that you shed fat but don't start catabolizing muscle, and you'll notice changes pretty rapidly.

Some suggest increasing cardio, but it isn't necessary.  Proper diet adjustments are more effective than "working off that slice of pizza on the treadmill."  Certainly do cardio if you want to for cardiovascular health, but it isn't necessary merely as a weight loss tool. 

I've certainly risked TL:DR, but perhaps there's some info in here to help refine some of your goals and also begin developing a more concrete plan to reach those goals.  And I'm sure we'll cover some of this stuff over a few beers while you're in Phoenix as well. 

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 27, 2012, 10:50:52 PM »

Got a full 5-rep working set of squats in at 225lbs today.  Also hit a new PR in stiff-legged deadlifts, 3 full working sets of 5 at 205lbs following a few sets at 195lbs.  Hamstrings are going to be sad tomorrow.  I just need to remember to take the wife's car on leg day, as shaky legs make driving my 5-speed a bitch.   icon_lol

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 28, 2012, 04:58:41 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 27, 2012, 04:53:36 PM

I've certainly risked TL:DR, but perhaps there's some info in here to help refine some of your goals and also begin developing a more concrete plan to reach those goals.  And I'm sure we'll cover some of this stuff over a few beers while you're in Phoenix as well. 

For sure...I definitely plan on picking your brain around this stuff. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: March 28, 2012, 05:41:06 PM »

My bike is ready. Hell week is coming, friends, and it's going to kill my legs.

Also, I really wish my shoulder would heal up.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 28, 2012, 05:54:42 PM »

Crappy sore throat + 103 degree fever on Monday, 101 yesterday, normal but sore throat today means I haven't done anything since Sunday, and it's making me nuts.  Might chance a 2 mile run today.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 28, 2012, 06:29:13 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 28, 2012, 05:54:42 PM

Crappy sore throat + 103 degree fever on Monday, 101 yesterday, normal but sore throat today means I haven't done anything since Sunday, and it's making me nuts.  Might chance a 2 mile run today.

When you get accustomed to leading an active lifestyle, it's amazing how stir-crazy you can get from just missing a few days.  And it can be even more frustrating when it's something beyond your control (sickness, injury, scheduling conflicts, etc).  But, sometimes rushing back can do more harm than good.  Still, it's up to you and your body.  Only you can know if you're ready to get back to it.

Quote from: Purge on March 28, 2012, 05:41:06 PM

Also, I really wish my shoulder would heal up.

What sucks is that practically every lift incorporates the shoulder in some way, so the only real path to recovery involves total rest.  And as we've all demonstrated, staying away from activity practically requires sedation.

I truly miss cycling.  There was a time when I'd ride 20 miles a day three days per week and then a 50+ mile ride on the weekend, but a number of things limited my availability and I eventually sold my bike.  I have every intention of getting back into the sport, but not until I'm finished with pharmacy school.

Today is the start of our spring softball season for both of the leagues we play in.  We'll be playing in B-league both Wednesdays and Fridays this season, so the competition should be pretty fierce.  But we've made a number of upgrades on both teams, so expectations are pretty high for both nights.  You'd think it was Christmas morning as both me and my wife were wide awake long before the sun came up in anticipation of "opening night." 

We also have a big money tournament coming up on the 15th.  1st place takes home just under a grand.   icon_eek  We're going with the same team that won us our last tournament, so we hope to be competitive enough to have a very realistic shot at placing well.

Unfortunately I am stuck missing all of next week following my epidural injections Tuesday morning.  No lifting, no softball, not even any light activity   disgust  I'll get to experience the same stir-crazy feelings kratz is currently coping with, but my doctors are hopeful that it'll be an effective treatment.  I can't put it off any longer as this week the symptoms have gotten considerably worse.  Imagine hitting the funny bone in your elbow hard but having the feeling extend throughout your entire arm and it never goes away.  Add to it that early morning weakness in grip when you try to open a jar or something but can't seem to grip it tight enough and have that sticking with you throughout the day as well.   icon_mad

Then at the end of next week my wife and I are heading back to Pittsburgh for her grandmother's birthday, so my break from training will be extended, which I guess ultimately will be a good thing.  Otherwise I might be too anxious to get back to it.  I'm still thinking about taking my resistance bands with me and trying out some bodyweight stuff, maybe going for a couple of jogs if the weather allows for it.  Maybe the wife and I will even take our mitts to have a catch while passing the time. 

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 28, 2012, 07:34:22 PM »

You guys see the new Fitocracy update yet?

Ew.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 28, 2012, 07:52:15 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 28, 2012, 06:29:13 PM

I truly miss cycling.  There was a time when I'd ride 20 miles a day three days per week and then a 50+ mile ride on the weekend, but a number of things limited my availability and I eventually sold my bike.  I have every intention of getting back into the sport, but not until I'm finished with pharmacy school.

AFTER Pharm school?  I'll just leave this right here...  And U of A, at least when I was there, was all about being a bike campus

Spoiler for Hiden:
There are THREE links!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 28, 2012, 07:54:21 PM »

I want to get back to softball.  I had an aborted attempt a couple years ago involving the company team, and it didn't go well.  There's a relatively close Top Golf that has batting cages where I can get 6 tokens (120 balls) for $8. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: March 28, 2012, 07:59:04 PM »

I only go about 9k each way, but I go as fast as I can for as long as I can. I've been able to make it home in 14 minutes (~22 mph average, plus there are stops, turns, etc that impact that).

Not bad for a big guy on a mountain bike. biggrin

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 28, 2012, 08:13:29 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 28, 2012, 07:52:15 PM

AFTER Pharm school?  I'll just leave this right here...

I actually rode for a club team back at Penn, but as it was personally funded, after a severe crash that totaled my bike and most of me I just didn't have the funds to repair/replace my ride and was forced to leave the team.  Funds continue to be severely limited and won't improve until I complete my education.  Despite working part-time again, that income will go toward living expenses in Tucson, books/academic supplies, and my commute to and from Tucson.

And U of A, at least when I was there, was all about being a bike campus.

Most campuses are pretty bike friendly, but I'm hoping to find a place within walking distance as I don't want to have to worry about securing a bike, storing it, etc.  A buddy just recently got a cruiser for his birthday.  Within a week it was stolen despite it having been locked up fairly securely.  In terms of the cycling club, it would take a fair bit of training for me to return to form, and that training takes a lot of time I just don't have.  Other pursuits currently take precedence.

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 28, 2012, 07:54:21 PM

I want to get back to softball.  I had an aborted attempt a couple years ago involving the company team, and it didn't go well.  There's a relatively close Top Golf that has batting cages where I can get 6 tokens (120 balls) for $8. 

Around here we have a number of different leagues to choose from ranging the entire gamut of skill level.  We play ASA B-league and it's pretty competitive with some of the girls having Division I college experience and the guys all having some level of a baseball background.  We hold regular fielding practices, hit the batting cages at least once a week, and play in tournaments as often as two to three times a month.  There's no drinking by any of the teams as injury is a very real concern.  You don't need your reaction time hindered when a 225-lb guy is hitting line drives at you from 60 feet away.

D-league seems to mostly involve company teams, inexperienced players looking to have some fun running around, and couples looking to do something physical together.  I also just recently heard about a local league that allows drinking on the fields, teams pitch to themselves, and the focus is on having fun instead of winning championships (sounds a little like WAKA kickball).   

The tough part is getting started.  If you have a number of friends who might be interested you might be able to start a team.  Another option is getting your name out there through a local league to try to land on a team.  And there's always the company route like you once tried in the past.  Our local league has a list of interested players looking to find a team, so that might be a similar option for you.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 28, 2012, 08:50:53 PM »

The company team has trophies.  They're not what I would consider a starter team.  Dallas has a fair number of rec league opportunities, but I'd like to get at least back in a little bit of practice before hitting the field "for real" for my own comfort level.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 28, 2012, 09:10:37 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 28, 2012, 08:50:53 PM

The company team has trophies.  They're not what I would consider a starter team.

I didn't realize you worked for Manganelli Fitness.   icon_wink

Dallas has a fair number of rec league opportunities, but I'd like to get at least back in a little bit of practice before hitting the field "for real" for my own comfort level.

The batting cages help, along with playing catch with someone, as both get your body more accustomed to the movements, and then perhaps getting together with a group of friends like the kids in Sandlot.  Eventually the more you play the better you'll get.  It's tough starting from scratch though.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 28, 2012, 10:19:33 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 28, 2012, 05:54:42 PM

When you get accustomed to leading an active lifestyle, it's amazing how stir-crazy you can get from just missing a few days.  And it can be even more frustrating when it's something beyond your control (sickness, injury, scheduling conflicts, etc).  But, sometimes rushing back can do more harm than good.  Still, it's up to you and your body.  Only you can know if you're ready to get back to it.

Ended up running 3. A little headachey, but it was good to get out. First half mile hurt, then stuff loosened up.

Quote from: Purge on March 28, 2012, 05:41:06 PM

I love bikes.  With this weather we've been able to get on them a lot earlier than most years... Saturdays have been run/road ride days, and Sundays have been mtn. bike rides.  Certainly my favorite way to get some exercise.  I got a new road bike this spring when Cervelo had a 'share the ride' deal where you could get $2000 back if you bought two bikes, so a buddy and I bought a pair of bikes.  I ride a lot more on this one because it fits well and is more comfortable than the Lightspeed I was riding last year.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 30, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »

In Console Gaming we have the Weekend Playlist for virtual gaming, so how about a real-life "Weekend Playlist" of sorts?  After all, Fitocracy scoring plays kind of like a real-life RPG, and with the weather improving around the country I expect to see more people doing things outdoors.  Perhaps a bike ride or run for kratz, Isgrimnur getting back on the exercise horse or maybe heading back to the batting cages, or some organized sports?

Tonight is our Friday league "opening night" for B-league softball, a double-header of two 1-hour games against a new team we've never seen before.  We've made some decent upgrades at a few positions to make us a very real contender for the league championship.  Expectations are high which is only adding to the excitement level.

Tomorrow is the last of two remaining workouts before I go in for my epidural injections.  Back/biceps day with deadlifts, pull-ups, barbell rows, etc.  I might get together with friends to play an afternoon of pick-up basketball at the local park as well.  It'll take some time to shake the rust off as I haven't played competitive ball since college, but it should come back with time and make for a fun afternoon.

Sunday will most likely be spent hungover following the wife's birthday celebration at The Big Bang Saturday night.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 02, 2012, 11:01:51 PM »

Last workout before tomorrow's injections.  Decided that I'd try to complete the "intermediate widowmaker" quest which involves squatting your own body weight for 20 reps.  I did 5 lbs more because it was an easier number to load on the bar, and reps 1-10 were pretty easy so I did them quickly and explosively.  Then things got a lot tougher when my body started to shake, a little dizziness started to set in, and each rep took longer to complete.  The last three reps seemed to be the longest of my life, and that last rep may have caused a few hallucinations, but I completed the challenge and felt pretty satisfied with my accomplishment.  Especially since in the past I wouldn't have had been able to do 20 squats with no weight.

Tomorrow morning I go in for my epidural injections in my neck (2 shots per vertebrae at C6 and C7), and my doctor has said I won't be cleared for any activity for at least a week.  No lifting, no softball, no nothing.   disgust  We leave for Pittsburgh on Friday and return the following Wednesday when I hope to get back on the softball field, but only time will tell and I'll of course need my doctor's "blessing." 

I'm going to lose my mind.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 02, 2012, 11:09:04 PM »

Good luck dude, hopefully they help.

Took your advice and did more lift, less cardio today.  Really trying to adjust the diet again as well, so hopefully there will be a little less of me going forward.  smile

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 03, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »

Man, fuck deadlifts. 

Dear God, the pain...

tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 03, 2012, 03:35:46 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 03, 2012, 01:31:31 PM

Man, fuck deadlifts. 

Dear God, the pain...

Heh. I love deadlifts. Still waiting for my shoulder to heal so I can lift heavy again.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 03, 2012, 04:14:04 PM »

Frustrating couple of days on the fitness front..

I was super sick last Monday/Tuesday, and it hasn't totally gone away.  I ran 3 on Wednesday though, and ran 3.5 on Thursday, but rested all other days.  Sunday I went for my long run of the week (5), and just felt *terrible*... sick stomach, low energy, no rhythm... and then my IT band/knee thing that has stopped all my previous runs suddenly appeared with a vengeance.  I had to walk about 80% of the last mile, which just pissed me the fuck off.

Gave it another rest day yesterday. Did about 45 minutes of a strength workout this morning and I can feel the sickness and week off from upper body stuff for sure, which sucks.  Knee feels a bit iffy... supposed to run at lunch. Crossing my fingers.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 06, 2012, 06:09:35 PM »

Man, fuck deadlifts. 

Dear God, the pain...

Pain from your back issues, or "good" pain from doing a beast lift?

Quote from: tiktokman on April 03, 2012, 03:35:46 PM

Heh. I love deadlifts. Still waiting for my shoulder to heal so I can lift heavy again.

Deadlifts are one of my favorites as well.  I've been wondering where you've been.  Figured it must be a busy schedule, injury, or something.  Heal up.

Quote from: kratz on April 03, 2012, 04:14:04 PM

Frustrating couple of days on the fitness front..

I hate when illness or injury cocks up a fitness regiment. 

Unfortunately my disc issues have gotten worse instead of better.  I've been in more pain than prior to the epidural injections, I'm unable to get comfortable in any position, sleep has been in fitful bursts, and the constant pain, pins-and-needles, and discomfort is getting downright exhausting.  Any positioning or movement that places my shoulder in a forward position results in severe discomfort and shooting pains.  And to make matters worse I have to take a red-eye flight to Pittsburgh with my wife tonight and expect the flight to be absolutely miserable as my shoulders will be pinched together and sitting upright causes the most nerve pain. 

I spoke with my spine specialist today and he said the symptoms often get worse before they improve, and unlike back injections, neck injections take even longer to take effect.  I may not feel relief for up to 10 days, and until then I can expect ongoing discomfort and pain.  He also thinks I may need another set of injections in another week or so.  But, he at least prescribed Vicodin for my trip, which won't really do much for the pain but will at least make me less likely to care about it (and any disparaging comments by my mother-in-law).

Yet I think the worst of it is not being able to go to the gym and having to watch my softball teams play without me while I rest on the DL.  The injection story has at least been bad-ass to tell, especially when watching the reactions of friends when asked to explain the procedure and the length of the needle that went into my neck.  I still remember how unpleasant it was when they hit the bone, though.  That resulted in a few choice profanities.

So I've got at least another week of pain and remaining on the DL.   disgust 

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2012, 07:24:15 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 06, 2012, 06:09:35 PM

Man, fuck deadlifts.  

Dear God, the pain...

Good pain.  The unique kind that can only come from doing a lift you've never done before for the first time.

The Good Mornings I tried, however, were pain of the other variety.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: April 07, 2012, 04:50:03 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 06, 2012, 07:24:15 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on April 06, 2012, 06:09:35 PM

Man, fuck deadlifts. 

Dear God, the pain...

Good pain.  The unique kind that can only come from doing a lift you've never done before for the first time.

The Good Mornings I tried, however, were pain of the other variety.

Good Mornings?

"Uh, Raymond... in the animal world that's known as 'presenting'."

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 16, 2012, 07:39:34 PM »

Haven't seen any updates in here for a while.  I hope you guys are keeping up with your workouts and healthier living practices.  I don't want to say that I started to take my workouts and softball play for granted, but as my time on the DL continues it's getting harder and harder to limit activity until I heal.  I have found that my eating habits also crap out pretty quickly when I feel down about not hitting the gym or not being able to play softball.

During my last doctor's visit it was determined that my first epidural injection was ineffective and I will therefore need a 2nd injection to further stimulate effectiveness.  So since I had so much fun the first time around, I go back in on the 24th for my 2nd injection, and whether or not I need a 3rd will depend on how things go.

I also found out that while I was continuing to weight train with my impinged nerve I was starting to compensate for the loss of strength in my left arm by straining my right arm and shoulder.  I've been having a lot of pain in my right shoulder (opposite side of the nerve problem) and my doc determined that I had strained the supraspinatus and inflammation was causing impingement of one of the tendons, causing it to grind along bone (the "crunchy" feeling I've been having).  I don't have a tear, but I do have some damage and have been on heavy-duty Naproxen to cut down on the inflammation and hopefully free up the movement of my impinged tendon. 

My shoulder is coming along, but I'm still out of softball and the gym this week, then again next week due to the epidural injection, and depending on shot effectiveness I might be back in the gym for light, easy-going workouts after all of this is complete (sometime in the beginning of May).  I hope to be back on the practice field as well, with the intent to get back into competitive play once I test my shoulder and neck.

I'm about to lose my mind.   disgust 

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 17, 2012, 12:05:18 AM »

Damn Pete, that sucks.  Was hoping you'd be well on the way to recovery by now.

As for me, both my diet and lifting routine have been utterly destroyed by my travel schedule over the last month.  I always have great intentions of eating healthy and working out while on the road, but when you're working typically from 6am until 10pm, it just simply never happens.  I end up either grabbing lunch with clients or hitting up whatever place is closest to the hotel (which is never very healthy).  I'm always so damn tired by the time my days are done that the thought of hitting a treadmill or doing 100 push-ups just makes me want to puke.  I'm really hoping things slow down a little after next week so I can get back info a semi-regular routine.  If not, I really run the risk of giving up all the progress I've made over the last 8 months.  frown

tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 17, 2012, 12:45:40 AM »

Heh...yeah, still alive. Went to the Dr. today. Got myself a nice 'impingement' with added possible bonus of a slight tear. He gave me a pamphlet with some rehab exercises in it and said if it isn't better in 3 weeks to come back in for a shot. Fun. He did clear me to lift with the caveat of dropping the weight on the benches. I'll probably drop the squat weight down some as well and up the reps.

Add in a nearly 4 week old baby and you can guess what my workout life is like. I go back to work a week from today. Hoping a return to a somewhat normal schedule will help me get back downstairs to the weights on a regular basis again.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 17, 2012, 12:54:36 AM »

I ran my first 5K on Saturday.  Got 2nd for men age 30 - 39.  Clearly, there were not many entrants (though definitely more than 2!)  Then I went and got in 20 awesome trail miles on a bike I was demoing in Colorado.

This is my first week at the new gig, so exercise will be a different endeavor, but I can move my 8 hours around however I'd like (short lunches, etc), so I should be able to do my 4 mile run in the morning and make it there by 8:30 and not have to get up too awfully early...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 17, 2012, 01:22:22 AM »

Gratz on the baby tiktok

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: April 17, 2012, 02:09:50 AM »

I find that Fitocracy is more work than my workouts.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 17, 2012, 05:54:04 AM »

Quote from: tiktokman on April 17, 2012, 12:45:40 AM

Heh...yeah, still alive. Went to the Dr. today. Got myself a nice 'impingement' with added possible bonus of a slight tear.

Rotator cuff?  Dealing with the same thing in my right shoulder, in part due to overcompensation of waning strength in my left arm.  I also have to drop the weight on most of my exercises, staying away from overhead exercises or anything that can impinge the same tendon (no standing barbell shoulder presses, upright rows, military presses, lateral raises, etc).  WTF does that leave me for shoulders?

Good luck.  

I'm actually considering getting back in the gym and doing really light stuff just to get my body moving again.  Will see how I feel tomorrow after a number of days popping Naproxen horse-pills.  Not sure my shoulder is ready for 3rd base or shortstop again, though.  If I play Wednesday, it'll most likely be at first, but at least I'd be back on the field until next week's 2nd injection. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:59:28 AM by PeteRock » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: