http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 11:38:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "Fabulous One" is not so fabulous any longer. At least financially.  (Read 6006 times)
pr0ner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2009, 07:55:56 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on June 09, 2009, 06:10:19 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on June 09, 2009, 05:47:31 PM

Not to mention I haven't had a drink since I was laid off in late May.  Booze is an easy expense to cut out of a budget. 

Does beer expire? I've had 7 bottles of Sam Adams Light sitting in my fridge for a month now.   icon_wink

Some beers do.

Others actually get better with age (for example, the DogFish Head 120 Minute IPA can be kept for years).

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2009, 09:01:55 PM »

I feel the complete opposite since my layoff. I actually started drinking again (my wife encouraged this smile) My wife is the best and along with telling me to "take all the time off you need" since i had been worked to the bone the last 4 years (80 hour weeks on average) she actually made me go to college instead of getting another job.  Are we living like we used to? No. Am i doing without some of the stuff I used to take for granted? Yup. Are we in any danger of losing house/cars/etc? Nope. Have I lost 50lbs due to not being glued to a computer and eating out all the time. Check! Am I an at home Dad? Yep smile Do i cook and clean? Yup! Am I having fun and enjoying my life more than the past 8 I spent with my last employer? ABSOLUTLY. Don't dwell on what you lost, Think about what you still have and where you can go. (oh and my college schedule consists of three hours a night, monday tuesday and wednesday.All paid in full by the Texas Workforce commision, along with my unemployment) The only bad thing about the whole layoff is that my wife has put me in charge of the band boosters concession stand during football season and i have to maintain their bank account. I'd almost rather go back to work smile
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 03:02:14 AM by Goldchamp » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2009, 09:08:51 PM »

I find the ad that popped on this page hilarious.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2009, 09:45:38 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on June 09, 2009, 07:47:34 PM

1. Do some volunteer work, preferably in your field, if possible.  I found volunteer match to be really helpful for me at the time.  I'm not sure if there'll be openings in your field in your area, but it's worth a shot, and I found that just a few hours a week was good for keeping me feeling useful and out of the prolonged 'woe is me' mentality.

As I'm not much of a "woe is me" type of person (more a "look at me" type of person Fabulous), and I don't like feeling like I'm sitting idle, I've been doing projects around the house in between job-related pursuits.  I emptied our storage closet in the guest room and reorganized it from the floor up in order to accomodate basic household items as well as the office I had to pack up into boxes the day I was let go, I make it a point to make our bed and straighten up the master bedroom every day, there is no such thing as "clutter" in the house any longer, I prepare all meals for both me and my wife every day, I've continued on with painting projects that were put aside long ago, and the house has never been cleaner. 

My wife was also kind enough to allow me to continue with my pool pursuits, as long as I am as efficient and frugal with costs as possible (I get a set amount every few weeks and I am challenged with stretching it as far as I can in order to continue to play the game that I love and continue to play in my pool league, so I play on days when my favorite places offer free pool, I drink water instead of beer, I never order food, etc).  She also let me keep my gym membership so I go almost every day to relieve stress and I'm working to get back to where I was when I considered myself to be in the best shape of my life.  It's nice to be able to focus on something that may not be super important but it is at least important to me.

2. Take the opportunity to do some home studying towards something in your field, if possible.  I ended up getting my SQL certification while I was laid off, which while I don't use it currently, probably helped in getting me a job when it worked out.

I'm actually studying for my Professional Geologist exam as I'll be re-taking part of the exam in October.  If I pass I get a "PG" after my name. 

3. Re: alcohol.  One good bottle of scotch lasts a lot longer than a good bottle of wine.  Not as good with dinner, but what the hey?

A good bottle of whiskey or bourbon does the same, but given the other "vices" my wife turns a blind eye to, I would feel like I was pushing it if I wanted quality booze as well.  I'm okay with cutting it out for now.  It's really helping my gym goals, that's for sure. 

4. A good $20 game will keep you occupied for days.  Scour those sales, and used game bins, but only when you need something to play.  I'm also sure you've got a bit of a backlog...

I've got a rather substantial backlog with games I've never even opened so I don't even need to worry about game sales.  And recently I got back into Splinter Cell: Double Agent and I'm having an absolute blast.  I haven't played that game since 2007.   icon_eek

Kato's generosity in sending me a copy of Red Faction helps a great deal as well.   The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Best of luck!

I really appreciate the suggestions and I'm doing my best to follow all input friends are kind enough to offer.  I'm already doing some of the things you mention so I hope I'm on the right track, despite the sleep problems and occasional feelings of being lost, and with so much support from friends it's making things at least a little more manageable.  Thanks again for all of the support.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2009, 09:46:40 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 09, 2009, 09:08:51 PM

I find the ad that popped on this page hilarious.

Odd, I haven't seen any ads in quite a while.  They don't seem to pop up for me anymore.  But that is funny.   icon_lol

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »

Good to hear you're making strides, Peter Ock. Now, I'm going to hijack your thread, but I'll spoilerize it for those that aren't interested.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I myself am also making some strides. Since 3/31, I've effectively been out of work. I shut down the 28 year old family business then and have been conducting my own 3 ring circus.

Ring One: No job. I've been looking and applying, but so far, the only call-back (email, actually) is from a temp agency placing "game testers" for Microsoft. I think it's PT, but it only pays $8.55/hour. I'm still looking and checking with what contacts I have, as well as our state Worksource, but it's been tough.

Ring Two: No benefits. I actually have them as of the beginning of May, but for several weeks, we had nothing. Because I was an "officer" of our corporation, I was deemed ineligible for benefits. I had to first resign, then pay all my taxes, then get a certificate from the state which then allowed me to dissolve the corporation. It wasn't until I put all that in writing, then appealed with the state, that I finally got benefits.

Ring Three: Filing for business bankruptcy. I closed the business because we were simply not profitable anymore. Business had slowed incredibly and we were falling behind on lots of payments. I filed for Chapter 7 on 5/22 and have a court date on 6/25. For now, it's kind of "out of sight, out of mind", but in reality, it's kind of in my mind a lot. Luckily, I'm pretty good at not stressing about things, but we'll see how I feel after my court date. Not sure what's going to happen there.

In the meantime, as mentioned by Goldchamp, I am loving being a stay at home Dad. Though I can't cook (or don't cook well), I try to make up for it by cleaning, doing laundry, dishes, putting the kids down, etc. Since I've been home more, I've worked in our yard (big damn yard) more than I ever have. I've been weed-whacking about once a week, blowing down the driveway, mowing the lawn, etc, and though the yard is still a work in progress, it is definitely looking better than it has in a long while. I've been walking my daughter home from school and spending a lot more time with them just out riding bikes and whatnot.

I'm also trying to exercise again. Last year I did pretty well for the first time in my life. Using Comcast's On Demand, I'd do Biggest Loser workouts and really enjoyed/hated it. Then we went on a road trip, then my dad died, and then I forgot all about working out. With my downtime lately, it occurred to me that I should start it up again. So I have. Though this week I've slacked a little. I was also inspired by msduncan's post at OO about the legendary Couch to 5k thing. I've bookmarked it but haven't started it yet.

All in all, though I'm out of work, our finances are dwindling and I have bankruptcy pending, things are going ok. My family is healthy, the weather is great and we have a lot of support.

Good luck in your search!

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on June 10, 2009, 05:24:03 PM

Good to hear you're making strides, Peter Ock. Now, I'm going to hijack your thread, but I'll spoilerize it for those that aren't interested.

I'm certainly interested.  I remember when you were forced to close your business and just wasn't sure what one could say outside of "condolences."  That must have obviously been a crushing and difficult decision to make.

I myself am also making some strides. Since 3/31, I've effectively been out of work. I shut down the 28 year old family business then and have been conducting my own 3 ring circus.

Two+ months?  I'm only going through Week 3 and once in a while I start to think I'm losing my mind.  There have been nights when I find myself lying awake wondering if I'll ever fall to sleep, struggling to come up with new ideas for job searches as the longer I'm out of work the more I exhaust my options (while I don't aspire to collect unemployment forever I fear that I may lose what little it contributes if they feel I'm not utilizing all resources - but I'm keeping a detailed log of everything I do just in case), wondering what my wife thinks of me and the efforts I've been making both in my job search and in keeping busy around the house, and fighting feelings of jealousy for all the people I see out there driving brand-new cars, pulling into their fancy homes, driving to their well-paying jobs, while I wonder just how far I can stretch the batch of spaghetti sauce I made yesterday.  I like to think I'm not a jealous person, but every so often when I drive by office spaces on my way to the gym I grit my teeth a bit.  And then I feel embarassed about it.   icon_redface

Ring One: No job. I've been looking and applying, but so far, the only call-back (email, actually) is from a temp agency placing "game testers" for Microsoft. I think it's PT, but it only pays $8.55/hour. I'm still looking and checking with what contacts I have, as well as our state Worksource, but it's been tough.

Whenever I consider a low-paying position just to have a job my wife does the math and determines what my unemployment pays versus how much I'd make working an $8 an hour job.  When you look at the numbers I "earn" in unemployment close to what I'd make working 40 hours a week making minimum wage, so as long as I continue to work at my job search my wife is of the opinion that she'd rather me at home doing all of the projects and chores I've been keeping up with rather than dedicating my time to cleaning bathrooms or serving cheeseburgers. 

And you're right, looking for a job has been tough.  Really tough. 

Ring Two: No benefits. I actually have them as of the beginning of May, but for several weeks, we had nothing. Because I was an "officer" of our corporation, I was deemed ineligible for benefits. I had to first resign, then pay all my taxes, then get a certificate from the state which then allowed me to dissolve the corporation. It wasn't until I put all that in writing, then appealed with the state, that I finally got benefits.

That would be tough.  Fortunately I've always been covered under my wife's policy so I haven't had to worry about medical coverage, and that provided a great deal of peace of mind when I came down with tonsilitis a few weeks ago. 

Ring Three: Filing for business bankruptcy. I closed the business because we were simply not profitable anymore. Business had slowed incredibly and we were falling behind on lots of payments. I filed for Chapter 7 on 5/22 and have a court date on 6/25. For now, it's kind of "out of sight, out of mind", but in reality, it's kind of in my mind a lot. Luckily, I'm pretty good at not stressing about things, but we'll see how I feel after my court date. Not sure what's going to happen there.

Like I said above, I can't imagine how difficult that would be.

In the meantime, as mentioned by Goldchamp, I am loving being a stay at home Dad. Though I can't cook (or don't cook well), I try to make up for it by cleaning, doing laundry, dishes, putting the kids down, etc. Since I've been home more, I've worked in our yard (big damn yard) more than I ever have. I've been weed-whacking about once a week, blowing down the driveway, mowing the lawn, etc, and though the yard is still a work in progress, it is definitely looking better than it has in a long while. I've been walking my daughter home from school and spending a lot more time with them just out riding bikes and whatnot.

It's amazing what you can accomplish when you're driven to be working on something and find yourself without a job.  Our house has never been cleaner, the laundry has never been so up-to-date, meals have been even tastier, and my weight loss and gym goals have been even more effective.  It doesn't make being unemployed any more acceptable, but it makes it a little easier to cope with.

I'm also trying to exercise again. Last year I did pretty well for the first time in my life. Using Comcast's On Demand, I'd do Biggest Loser workouts and really enjoyed/hated it. Then we went on a road trip, then my dad died, and then I forgot all about working out. With my downtime lately, it occurred to me that I should start it up again. So I have. Though this week I've slacked a little. I was also inspired by msduncan's post at OO about the legendary Couch to 5k thing. I've bookmarked it but haven't started it yet.

I've found my trips to the gym to help tremendously, especially when I see the ongoing results.  Back in January I was up to 185 pounds, and for me that is the heaviest I've ever been.   icon_redface  To provide some perspective, in college I was a lightweight bodybuilder.  My clothes didn't fit right, I felt like crap, and I was eating out way too much.  At that time I set a goal of getting back to a lean 150 for our family beach trip coming up in late July.  That's what I weighed when I trained in college. 

I made some decent progress before a trip to the Bahamas in March and got down to about 165, but that was still 15 pounds from my overall goal.  Then I went back up to about 170 and stopped going to the gym again.  Currently I'm hitting the gym with a two-on, one-off schedule (taking a day off every third day), and since my layoff I've gotten to 160 and am back to a size 32 pants (what I wore back in the late 90's).  It feels great and while I hope to have a job before our family trip in late July (it has already been planned and paid for long ago, and it's not something my wife is willing to give up), I'm looking forward to the reactions my transformation should have as the last time I saw my wife's family and our fiends from Pittsburgh I was the heaviest I had ever been, and by late July I should be close to having lost 30 pounds (or more if I get below 155, which I should with more than a month to go) and back to being as muscular as I was when I graduated college.  I eat four or five times a day, but I make sure to control my portion sizes and I haven't had any alcohol since the end of May (in case folks are worried that I'm starving myself).       

All in all, though I'm out of work, our finances are dwindling and I have bankruptcy pending, things are going ok. My family is healthy, the weather is great and we have a lot of support.

I admire your perspective and discussing my situation with the forums has helped a great deal.  It has been tough, and as I'm not really one for discussing feelings, especially in person with friends, talking about what I'm going through on the forums with folks in similar situations has done more than you can imagine for my mental state.

Good luck in your search!

I wish the same for you as well.  And thanks for sharing your story.  It really helps and I appreciate it.

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2009, 06:18:09 PM »

Whenever I consider a low-paying position just to have a job my wife does the math and determines what my unemployment pays versus how much I'd make working an $8 an hour job.  When you look at the numbers I "earn" in unemployment close to what I'd make working 40 hours a week making minimum wage, so as long as I continue to work at my job search my wife is of the opinion that she'd rather me at home doing all of the projects and chores I've been keeping up with rather than dedicating my time to cleaning bathrooms or serving cheeseburgers.

I forgot to add that. At $8.55/hr x 40, well, it's $342/week. Assuming it's full time. With unemployment, I'm getting, after taxes, $541 or so. The only reason I'd take the job is to get my foot in the door and hope MS would take a grunt like me on full time. Trouble is, even the mighty MS is letting people go left and right.

My bro used to be in the car industry. I don't want to sell cars, but a local ritzy MB dealership was looking for porters. It's relatively mindless labor, and you get to be around nice cars, but I hear the hours can be murderous and once summer turns to fall, you're outside in the miserable weather all day. But, if a "career" opportunity doesn't pop up soon, I'll have to do something to fill the void. The other option is Starbucks, where at 20 hours, you get full benefits...

WRT closing the business, in all honesty, I'm glad it's over. It's nice to not have to worry every other week about how I'm gonna come up with 10 large to pay employees that aren't even generating. Or 4k to pay my rent. Or 4k to pay benefits. Those employees were raping me, but it was my own damn fault to begin with. An entrepreneur I am not. As I always said, thank goodness my dad had started the business. When I "bought" it, it was pretty much running itself. Sadly, I didn't have the foresight to get out earlier than I did.

talking about what I'm going through on the forums with folks in similar situations has done more than you can imagine for my mental state.

Agreed. Though I tend to be a chatterbox at times, having a place to put stuff and vent (and I've been reluctant to here due to the BK) is always helpful.

The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2009, 06:29:42 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on June 10, 2009, 06:18:09 PM

I forgot to add that. At $8.55/hr x 40, well, it's $342/week. Assuming it's full time. With unemployment, I'm getting, after taxes, $541 or so.

icon_eek

I'm not sure how unemployment works in other areas of the country, but in Arizona I understand it to be based upon salary averages throughout the state, and before taxes I'm only getting around $300.  After taxes it's barely enough to cover groceries.  We're weathering a difference in income of about $3000 to $4000 each month.  After taxes. 

My bro used to be in the car industry. I don't want to sell cars, but a local ritzy MB dealership was looking for porters. It's relatively mindless labor, and you get to be around nice cars, but I hear the hours can be murderous and once summer turns to fall, you're outside in the miserable weather all day. But, if a "career" opportunity doesn't pop up soon, I'll have to do something to fill the void. The other option is Starbucks, where at 20 hours, you get full benefits...

If benefits were an issue for me I'd certainly consider Starbucks.  I chuckled a bit at your comment about the fall.  In Arizona the fall is when you want to be outside.   icon_cool  I've been considering getting trained and certified as a personal trainer given my dedication to the gym, but I'd prefer to do it as part of the hiring process and not have to pay out of pocket.  But, I've noticed during my gym visits that trainers are often sitting idle due to their service being an easy budget-cut for struggling families.  Still, it's a consideration. 

WRT closing the business, in all honesty, I'm glad it's over. It's nice to not have to worry every other week about how I'm gonna come up with 10 large to pay employees that aren't even generating. Or 4k to pay my rent. Or 4k to pay benefits. Those employees were raping me, but it was my own damn fault to begin with. An entrepreneur I am not. As I always said, thank goodness my dad had started the business. When I "bought" it, it was pretty much running itself. Sadly, I didn't have the foresight to get out earlier than I did.

Well, then it's good something positive came out of the situation.  While the conditions are far from ideal, at least you're free to move on.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2009, 07:48:06 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 10, 2009, 06:29:42 PM

I'm not sure how unemployment works in other areas of the country, but in Arizona I understand it to be based upon salary averages throughout the state, and before taxes I'm only getting around $300.  After taxes it's barely enough to cover groceries.  We're weathering a difference in income of about $3000 to $4000 each month.  After taxes. 

Ouch. Here unemployment replaces 50% of your paycheck up to a maximum dollar limit. My wife's unemployment check is more than double yours. Even after I withhold taxes, it pays the bills. We're solvent for as long as the COBRA subsidy lasts (3 more months). Once that drops out, though, health insurance will kill us.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2009, 05:20:23 PM »

Well, as an update I still haven't been offered a position yet, but I have applied to three jobs in the area.  A program manager position with two environmental consulting firms (one firm isn't hiring but a close friend works for them and suggested I submit a resume and they've been rather interested but would prefer that I relocate back to Philly - we're currently working around that option) and a construction inspector position with the City of Mesa.  The 2nd environmental firm isn't in any hurry to fill the position, but they have a definite need as their current program manager is moving on to the city of Phoenix and word on the street among my contacts is that there aren't many others in line for the job, and of the choices I'm by far the most qualified with the longest list of accomplishments (again, just word on the industrial hygiene street, but the firm I applied with knows who I am, what I've accomplished, and what I can offer, so that's definitely a plus).  My industry is fairly close-knit, and so I have a very good shot with IHI once they get around to actually interviewing for the job. 

In the meantime I've been focusing my efforts on home improvement projects that were set aside long ago due to lack of time.  As I won't be unemployed forever, we're putting some money into improving some aspects of our home like renovating our 1st floor bathroom with a new toilet, sink, lights, hardware, a vent fan, etc, I'm finally completing paint projects upstairs (touching up all of the trim which was scuffed during carpet installation, door frame trim, bedroom doors, etc), I'm going to clean and paint our laundry area folding doors and I'm thinking about pulling out the appliances and installing new shelving for storage, and eventually I'll replace all door hardware (hinges, door knobs, etc).  So being unemployed has at least provided me with plenty of time to finally get back to projects that have been sitting idle.  It feels good to make positive improvements around the house.

I've also continued with my gym goals and eating healthy and have gotten down to 157 pounds.  Seven more pounds to hit my goal of 150 set back in January.  If I make it I will have lost 25 pounds since the holidays and be in the best shape of my life.  Almost there.   icon_biggrin

stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2009, 05:42:47 PM »

Way to stay active and positive in spite of the situation.
How are the fingernails holding up?  icon_wink
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2009, 05:54:31 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on June 23, 2009, 05:42:47 PM

Way to stay active and positive in spite of the situation.

Some days are harder than others, but even when I'm anxious or unhappy with my situation I just can't seem to sit idle.  I'm not one to sleep late (even on weekends I'm out of bed by 6), and there's only so much daytime TV I can handle, even if it's only on in the background while I tend to various home responsibilities. 

I forgot to mention that my pool game continues to improve and this past week I was voted team MVP for the spring session in my league.  So keeping up with things I really enjoy like going to the gym and playing pool have also helped a great deal. 

How are the fingernails holding up?  icon_wink

Fabulous.  I've merely taken a more "do it yourself" approach.  Fabulousness is a responsibility that transcends employment.  Fabulous

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2009, 05:55:38 PM »

157?  Dayum Pete.

Apparently I need to get unemployed so I can quit being a fattie.  slywink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2009, 06:12:01 PM »

I've also continued with my gym goals and eating healthy and have gotten down to 157 pounds.  Seven more pounds to hit my goal of 150 set back in January.  If I make it I will have lost 25 pounds since the holidays and be in the best shape of my life.  Almost there.   

eek

I thought you were 6'2". Wouldn't that make you bone skinny?
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2009, 06:28:01 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 23, 2009, 05:55:38 PM

157?  Dayum Pete.

Apparently I need to get unemployed so I can quit being a fattie.  slywink

When I was in college I was a lightweight bodybuilder and weighed about 140 to 145 (I'm 5' 7").  My body fat was down to about 4%, but I always felt like garbage, it took its toll on my body, I had various weight training injuries, and eventually I had to give it up for my health (body building is pretty unhealthy, which might seem a bit counter-intuitive to some, but you're putting your body through a lot in order to maintain muscle tone with little to no body fat).  I've always been a bit obsessed with personal fitness, but I have a habit of fluctuating in weight from a high fitness level in the warmer months and then I usually fall off the workout horse around the holidays and then struggle to get back on.  

Once I stopped bodybuilding I got to a fit, healthy weight of between 150 to 155.  I put on more muscle, I felt an order of magnitude better, my strength improved, and I quickly learned how much strain bodybuilding had put on my body.  That was back when I was 22 or 23 (nine or ten years ago).  

This past Christmas I topped out at about 180 pounds.  I felt like crap, I wasn't going to the gym, my clothes didn't fit right, but it was difficult to get back on the workout horse.  In January I started eating better and set a weight goal of about 153 when I weighed about 173 with a total weight loss goal of 20 pounds.  I worked down to about 165 for our trip to the Bahamas in March, but then went back up to about 170 just before I lost my job.  Since then I've really focused my efforts, been extremely disciplined with my diet, and I religiously follow my workout schedule of two days on, one day off.  I also stopped drinking to save money which has also helped considerably.

While 153 was the goal I set back in January, at the rate I'm going I'd like to see if I can hit a fit 150.  While it might be considered a bit narcissistic, not only do I feel great physically, but feeling healthy and looking good has also helped with my self confidence since being jobless can be a bit discouraging.  I feel good, I'm proud of my progress, and it is a good feeling to be in my early-to-mid thirties and close to the best shape I've been in since about 2000.  Fabulous  

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 23, 2009, 06:12:01 PM

eek

I thought you were 6'2". Wouldn't that make you bone skinny?

As I said above, I'm only 5' 7".  I've always been fairly muscular from lifting, but when I get a bit lazy and drink a bit too much (like during football season), most of the weight goes right to my face and chin, my waist, and my butt.  When I'm on the top of my game I wear a size 30 to 32 pants and have a 40 to 42 chest.  I'm not really "meat-head" thick, just pretty lean.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2009, 07:32:54 PM »

Well, after holding out for a number of weeks, I've finally succumbed to whoring.  I've been out of work since May and with the fish tank debacle and fairly grandiose renovation hopes (we found our dream countertops and they're $70 a square foot  icon_eek - but they are FABULOUS and we must have them, the floors will be all porcelain tile with a slate look, new cabinets in the kitchen, new appliances, etc), I'm really starting to stress about being out of work. 

In the past my wife has utilized a staffing and "headhunter" agency called Aerotek to find quality people to work for her company and she often has lunch with their regional representative on a regular basis.  While having lunch with him today she mentioned my situation and he couldn't get a copy of my resume fast enough.  Aerotek has a number of geologist and industrial hygiene positions available, and while I'd be selling myself out to a glorified staffing agency I at least have a better chance of finding a job given the state of things in Arizona and how poorly my search has gone thus far.  And I at least avoid resetting my career by taking an entry level position out of desperation.  I wouldn't make quite as much money, but a job through a staffing agency is better than no job at all (or entry level garbage), and I'm not worried about medical coverage as I am covered by my wife's plan.

We'll see how things go now that I've sent my cover letter, resume, and project list over to Aerotek.  It certainly would be nice to go back to drinking Sam Adams seasonal beers after choking down Miller Lite lately.  Or enjoying a cold beer during pool matches.  Or having a job again.  It really is emotionally trying to feel inferior to others while out of work and spending my time job hunting, cleaning the house, cooking meals, taking care of the dogs, and going to the gym.  Although a friend recently paid me an appreciated compliment.  She came by to meet my wife to go to the Aerosmith concert Monday night and at first she didn't look very closely at me as I was in the middle of doing dishes and taking out the dogs. 

When I came back in from outside she stopped mid-sentence while talking to my wife and screamed, "Holy shit you're skinny!  And fit!  You look a lot younger, too."  That certainly made me feel good. 

Fabulous

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2009, 07:46:17 PM »

I'm not sure I understand what makes finding a job through a staffing agency somehow inferior, but whatever. Good luck, hopefully you'll find something soon.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2009, 07:52:52 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on July 29, 2009, 07:46:17 PM

I'm not sure I understand what makes finding a job through a staffing agency somehow inferior, but whatever. Good luck, hopefully you'll find something soon.

Typically you are "indebted" to that agency for a particular amount of time and due to fees paid to the staffing agency from the hiring company your salary potential is fairly limited.  Benefits are also through the staffing agency, not the hiring company, until your "indentured servitude" is completed.  401K, vacation, healthcare, sick time, it is all handled through the staffing agency rather than through the hiring company, and benefits through the staffing agency are always inferior to those offered by hiring companies.  Being hired by a company directly is always preferred to going through a staffing agency.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2009, 07:57:26 PM »

Last time I was placed by an agency, I was getting $18/hour while the company I was working for was paying $42/hour for me.  This is what makes it inferior to me at any rate.  I could have been paid double and the company still would have saved money by not going through the middle man. frown

Having said that I may have found a job through one, but it's for half of what I was making before, it's only a short term contract, and it's very far away so lots of gas. frown
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2009, 08:08:45 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 29, 2009, 07:32:54 PM

Well, after holding out for a number of weeks, I've finally succumbed to whoring.  I've been out of work since May and with the fish tank debacle and fairly grandiose renovation hopes (we found our dream countertops and they're $70 a square foot  icon_eek - but they are FABULOUS and we must have them, the floors will be all porcelain tile with a slate look, new cabinets in the kitchen, new appliances, etc), I'm really starting to stress about being out of work. 

Call me crazy, but it seems to me that splurging on $70/sq ft countertops while unemployed - however fabulous they might be - might not be the wisest financial move.  Unless the insurance company is footing the entire bill, of course.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2009, 08:09:31 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 29, 2009, 07:57:26 PM

Last time I was placed by an agency, I was getting $18/hour while the company I was working for was paying $42/hour for me.  This is what makes it inferior to me at any rate.  I could have been paid double and the company still would have saved money by not going through the middle man. frown

Not if benefits are rolled in.  It would cost far more than 42.00 an hour to employee you full time and give you vacation pay and medical, dental, vision etc.

That's why, if you can, it may be worthwhile to go on your own until you can find a solid gig.  I don't know what you do exactly, but because companies don't have to pay for benefits, you can charge significantly more per hour than you would make ordinarily...but there's still the issue of paying your own insurance etc.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2009, 08:10:50 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 29, 2009, 08:08:45 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on July 29, 2009, 07:32:54 PM

Call me crazy, but it seems to me that splurging on $70/sq ft countertops while unemployed - however fabulous they might be - might not be the wisest financial move.  Unless the insurance company is footing the entire bill, of course.

Also, does your house fit 70.00 sqft countertops or the other upgrades? Is it in a price point where you can someday hope to get that cost back?
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2009, 08:21:18 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 29, 2009, 08:08:45 PM

Call me crazy, but it seems to me that splurging on $70/sq ft countertops while unemployed - however fabulous they might be - might not be the wisest financial move.  Unless the insurance company is footing the entire bill, of course.

A majority of our renovation costs will be covered by our insurance claim and only a portion will be out-of-pocket.  And we'll be handling a great deal of the work ourselves with a contracting friend. Costly home renovations are not financially responsible when one family member is out of work, but there are more factors involved than you are aware of.  

Edit:  That sounded kind of snarky and that wasn't the intent.  The insurance claim is going to cover new flooring throughout our space, new cabinets in the kitchen, and contractors to install both the flooring and the kitchen cabinetry.  Out-of-pocket will be bathroom materials, counter tops, and the time necessary to handle all painting and finishing tasks (and demo as well).  We have a financial plan to cover everything without putting ourselves at any kind of financial risk.  Plus we have a bit of financial help from family as well.

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 29, 2009, 08:10:50 PM

Also, does your house fit 70.00 sqft countertops or the other upgrades? Is it in a price point where you can someday hope to get that cost back?

Yep.  Plus, as we'll be living here for a long time, we'd rather make it what we want rather than merely focusing on functionality.  Within reason, of course.  The difference in cost between shitty $40 or $50/sf counters versus what we actually want is negligible when considering square footage.  Our kitchen is small enough that new cabinets and countertops will cost a few thousand dollars, not tens of thousands as is customary with larger homes.  And we're handling all work in the bathroom, electrical relocations, wall framing/demo, paint, wall repairs/finishing, etc.  Contractors are only handling cabinets, counters, and flooring.

If we were putting ourselves at financial risk we wouldn't be doing it.  And while the timing isn't ideal, due to how our space is organized it would be crazy to handle restorations in a piecemeal fashion.  Damage from the fish tank impacts the entire first floor, and instead of restoring things to existing conditions we're stretching our budget as far as we can to make it what we want, not what is cheapest.  We don't want to live in a house we don't like or had to "settle for."  We can make it what we want within reason which will make having to live here for far longer than we anticipated far more palatable.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:41:49 PM by PeteRock » Logged

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2009, 08:57:45 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 29, 2009, 08:21:18 PM

Yep.  Plus, as we'll be living here for a long time,

Thats how I feel about our current house. Statistically speaking people move every 5-7 years. Our first house we had for 5 1/2. Our second we lived in for 3 1/4....so the odds are against both of us...
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2009, 09:11:07 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 29, 2009, 08:57:45 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on July 29, 2009, 08:21:18 PM

Yep.  Plus, as we'll be living here for a long time,

Thats how I feel about our current house. Statistically speaking people move every 5-7 years. Our first house we had for 5 1/2. Our second we lived in for 3 1/4....so the odds are against both of us...

We had intended to live here for about 5 years, but with the housing crash in Arizona we're being forced to come to terms with living here for much longer.  And so we're tailoring our renovations to be reasonable but also what we want, so while we could get by with plywood countertops or the least expensive option available, we'd like to have something we appreciate, something that makes us love our home, and something that will increase the value of our home to a realistic level.  Obviously putting a $50,000 kitchen into our home would be insane, but putting a few thousand into our kitchen could really go a long way in not only making our space more livable and visually appealing but also in improving bad elements for when we eventually decide to sell.  Faux slate tile instead of real slate, Ikea cabinets with a dark brown-black finish instead of real cherry, white coarse quartz Silestone countertops instead of expensive granite or $100/sf eco-friendly materials, an inexpensive black Frigidaire dishwasher and a new range, new floor trim installed by ourselves, and fresh paint will make our space really special and at a reasonable budget.

And it'll all combine to make living here longer than we had intended far more bearable and perhaps even preferable. 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2009, 09:25:14 PM »

At least we'll be able to tell the difference on Live when you use the in-door ice dispenser rather than digging through the bucket.  nod

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2009, 09:33:10 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 29, 2009, 09:25:14 PM

At least we'll be able to tell the difference on Live when you use the in-door ice dispenser rather than digging through the bucket.  nod

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Hooking up the ice maker is included in the renovation plan.   ninja

I have to keep my bourbon cold no matter what. 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2009, 09:42:01 PM »

Have you ever considered whiskey stones??  No watered down taste.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 29, 2009, 09:42:01 PM

Have you ever considered whiskey stones??  No watered down taste.

A splash of water is what really helps to develop a bourbon's flavor complexity and also mellows it out a bit.  After about 5 minutes the ice melts to contribute the perfect amount of water to the bourbon.  Watery drinks are due to drinking too slowly, not due to any fault of the ice (as my frequent trips to the ice bin can attest  ninja).  If I preferred my whiskey or bourbon neat but cold then whiskey stones would be perfect, but I prefer a bit of water in my bourbon to mellow it a bit.   

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2009, 10:52:21 PM »

Already got a call back from Aerotek and they want to get together with me over lunch ASAP.  Hopefully this leads to better opportunities than what I've been able to find so far.  They seemed genuinely excited and interested after reviewing my resume and project list so there is at least some potential. 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: