http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 06:28:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 'EngineNo9 Kicked Us Out of the Other Thread' Buffy/Angel Discussion Thread  (Read 3601 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2012, 11:52:08 AM »

Well, I finished Season 4 last night and it can best be summed up with a giant...WTF?   saywhat

Spoiler for Hiden:
-  Can't say I'm sad Connor is gone, he was always a bit of a whiny, mopey brat anyways.  I thought sending him to a real family was a nice touch.
-  What did Angel do to Conner in that final episode during the standoff?  Looked like he stabbed him, the screen goes dark, then Connor is suddenly with his new family.  I assume it's some sort of magic cooked up by Wolfram & Hart, but a little explanation would have been nice.
-  Speaking of Wolfram & Hart, WTF was up with Gunn and the puma?  He goes up to the top floor, meets the puma, sees his reflection in it's eyes, and that somehow makes him decide that he'll take the job at W&H.  I must have missed something, because that made no sense.
-  That was a chicken-shit way to write Cordelia out of the show. 
-  Wes continues his evolution to being a bad-ass.  It's pretty amazing to see his transformation from the colossal dork he started out as in Buffy to where he is now.
-  I watched the credits for the first episode of Season 5, and it looks like Spike is back.  Curious how that's going to work, considering he was turning to dust the last time I saw him in Buffy.

Easily my least favorite season so far, but I'm looking forward to wrapping it up with Season 5.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »

After the chicken shit situation you mentioned, it was a nice surprise to see how decently they handled his* reintegration.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spike

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2012, 03:04:31 PM »

Quote from: Gratch
Spoiler for Hiden:
-  Wes continues his evolution to being a bad-ass.  It's pretty amazing to see his transformation from the colossal dork he started out as in Buffy to where he is now.

What did I tell you back on Page 2? slywink

Quote from: Asharak on December 03, 2011, 02:51:21 PM

Oh, and from the tenth episode of season one to the first episode of season four contains the single best TV character arc I've ever seen.

I picked the beginning of season four for the end of that development because, really, on the scale of zero to bad-ass, does anything top

Spoiler for Hiden:
Justine in a cage?

- Ash
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2012, 09:38:22 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 22, 2012, 11:52:08 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
That was a chicken-shit way to write Cordelia out of the show.

Spoiler for Hiden:
She'll be back for an excellent episode in season 5.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2012, 04:28:36 PM »

I rewatched "Once More With Feeling" last night.  Man, what an awesome episode that was.

The "Hell Bound" episode of Angel creeped me right the hell out.  The slicing fingers dude and lady with no arms moaning "hold me" were f-n unnerving. 

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2012, 05:14:23 PM »

I bought the soundtrack and still listen to it every now and then.

They showed it at the 2008 PaleyFest which had a 'full' cast reunion, with only Allison Hannigan & David Boreanaz missing out. Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon and David Greenwalt were there as well. Never realized until it got mentioned quite a number of times that Marti was in OMWF, getting the parking ticket and not wearing underwear.  icon_wink

They talked about Season 6 (which I just finished), about its darkness and how even Sarah felt a need to come to Joss and seek a change, feeling that she had 'lost the hero'. I thought it was too bad that no mention of 'Normal Life' came up, that one really stuck with me. I think we're past spoilers here, but just in case:
Spoiler for "Normal Life":
The question of which life is real, all of the crazy things going on in Sunnydale where she is a super-hero and saving the world or a poor sick girl stuck in an LA sanitorium, made for a great episode. After trying to kill her friends to "get better", when she chooses Sunnydale and says goodbye to her mom, they could have left it at that but no, they have to twist the knife by coming back to the sanitorium and showing a catatonic Buffy ("She's gone") before cutting to the credits. So now we the viewers, the fans, get to decide if any of it is real or just the fantasy life of an insane girl. paranoid
Off to season seven...

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 26, 2012, 05:14:23 PM

They talked about Season 6 (which I just finished), about its darkness and how even Sarah felt a need to come to Joss and seek a change, feeling that she had 'lost the hero'. I thought it was too bad that no mention of 'Normal Life' came up, that one really stuck with me. I think we're past spoilers here, but just in case:
The question of which life is real, all of the crazy things going on in Sunnydale where she is a super-hero and saving the world or a poor sick girl stuck in an LA sanitorium, made for a great episode. After trying to kill her friends to "get better", when she chooses Sunnydale and says goodbye to her mom, they could have left it at that but no, they have to twist the knife by coming back to the sanitorium and showing a catatonic Buffy ("She's gone") before cutting to the credits. So now we the viewers, the fans, get to decide if any of it is real or just the fantasy life of an insane girl. paranoid
Off to season seven...

Shit, yeah, that episode disturbed the shit out of me, too.

BTW, any mention of returning to the Buffyverse? (And no I'm not talking about ***ing comics).
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on February 26, 2012, 06:54:06 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 26, 2012, 05:14:23 PM

Off to season seven...

Shit, yeah, that episode disturbed the shit out of me, too.

BTW, any mention of returning to the Buffyverse? (And no I'm not talking about ***ing comics).

Have you read the ***ing comics?  Shit.  Shit shit.

Since the talk was in 2008, even if they talked about it, it's safe to say it fell through.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »

They do ask Joss if he'd ever come back to it (be it a series or even a musical) and if the cast would come back. Pretty unanimous that they would in a heart-beat (well, except for the musical) and while Joss certainly has an interest 'if the stars aligned' he really didn't think it would happen.  icon_frown

Ack... almost forgot about Spike, what with his running off to get de-chipped right before Willow goes all world-killer bad-ass. Totally spaced what was going to happen when he survives the trials so he can "make sure that bitch gets what's coming to her".  icon_biggrin

-craig

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2012, 10:04:12 PM »

So in which order do you watch these seasons? Is there a shuffle between Angel / Buffy I should be concerned with?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2012, 10:22:01 PM »

Technically once you get to season 4 of buffy it alternates buffy/angel every episode.  I think that is right. Close anyway.  Some interesting timing if you watch it that way as it aired
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 26, 2012, 10:22:01 PM

Technically once you get to season 4 of buffy it alternates buffy/angel every episode.  I think that is right. Close anyway.  Some interesting timing if you watch it that way as it aired

Yup, it matters most when there were "crossover events" which wasn't that often but do help to make the series better.  Check this link out for an "optimized" experience:

http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2009/04/buffyangel-episode-watching-guide.html
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2012, 11:02:27 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 26, 2012, 10:04:12 PM

So in which order do you watch these seasons? Is there a shuffle between Angel / Buffy I should be concerned with?

I watched all of Buffy, then started on Angel.  There were maybe one or two episodes where I was a little confused, but I haven't had any issues following what's happened.

Trying to alternate between two shows would have driven me absolutely nuts.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2012, 01:56:33 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 26, 2012, 10:27:34 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on February 26, 2012, 10:22:01 PM

Yup, it matters most when there were "crossover events" which wasn't that often but do help to make the series better.  Check this link out for an "optimized" experience:

http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2009/04/buffyangel-episode-watching-guide.html

saywhat

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2012, 05:12:29 AM »

It's not that bad if you rip them all to order the playlist.  I got the boxsets for my niece cheap on Amazon and set up the playlist for them ahead of time so they wouldn't have to ask how to watch them.

Sadly on my rewatching, I had to just go through one series then the other on Hulu and Netflix since I don't have access to the disks anymore.

I definitely felt that it was a more enjoyable experience watching the playlist version with the interleaving of episodes.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2012, 02:01:19 PM »

"It eats you, starting with your bottom"

icon_wink

-craig

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2012, 01:43:12 AM »

crybaby

Spoiler for Hiden:
While I still think it was pretty bush league the way they wrote out Cordy, the episode where she came back almost made it worthwhile.  That was a pretty damn awesome way for her to actually go out.  Bringing back Lindsay was a nice touch as well.  Dude made a great badguy.  

On the homestretch now...can't wait to see how it all ends.

EDIT:   icon_lol icon_lol at "Smile Time".  Holy shit, that was funny.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:20:38 AM by Gratch » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2012, 05:14:51 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 07, 2012, 01:43:12 AM

crybaby

Spoiler for Hiden:
While I still think it was pretty bush league the way they wrote out Cordy, the episode where she came back almost made it worthwhile.  That was a pretty damn awesome way for her to actually go out.  Bringing back Lindsay was a nice touch as well.  Dude made a great badguy.  

On the homestretch now...can't wait to see how it all ends.

EDIT:   icon_lol icon_lol at "Smile Time".  Holy shit, that was funny.

Yeah, Smile Time was easily the best, complete latter day episode.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2012, 06:34:46 AM »

once you finish season 5 of Angel:

Spoiler for I mean it, after season 5 ends!:
you have to read the comic book series Angel: After the Fall for the backstory biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 07, 2012, 06:34:46 AM

once you finish season 5 of Angel:

Spoiler for I mean it, after season 5 ends!:
you have to read the comic book series Angel: After the Fall for the backstory biggrin

Spoiler for Hiden:
I feel it doesn't fully explain Nero's origin, though.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2012, 02:14:24 AM »

Goddammit, Joss Whedon...YOU LEAVE FRED ALONE!!   icon_evil

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2012, 05:09:28 PM »

Just wrapped up Season 5, and damn did they ever send that show out on a high note.  A fantastic and bittersweet ending to a show that was almost, but not quite, as good as Buffy.

For the last 6 months, I've literally spent some time every single day in the Buffy-verse, with it's wonderful characters and a wholly remarkable story.  Not having that to jump back into feels kinda...strange, and a little bit sad (for lack of a better term).  Kudos to Whedon and crew though, they told one hell of a good story.

So...is Dollhouse any good?  smile

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »

not really, but it wasn't unwatchable either. It has some good moments
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2012, 06:38:17 PM »

Read the Season 8 comics and After the Fall.

Dollhouse starts out really weak, but gets considerably better as it goes.

Also the other two main dolls are so fantastic, I was expecting to see them everywhere after it ended.  But that hasn't happened.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2012, 07:50:53 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 11, 2012, 06:38:17 PM

Also the other two main dolls are so fantastic, I was expecting to see them everywhere after it ended.  But that hasn't happened.

Sierra joined the North American version of Being Human this season.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2012, 08:00:15 PM »

Dollhouse starts out really weak, but gets considerably better as it goes.

I agree, I liked it quite alot although I really didn't come into it as a big Dushku fan. Like most Joss shows there was so much more he wanted to do with it but at least when it got killed he had a chance to kick into high gear and wrap it up in an interesting way.

-craig

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2012, 08:40:44 PM »

Thought about that but it starts to get really expensive, especially for a medium in comics that I don't really care for.  Will probably just be content with reading some Wiki summaries.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »

don't know if I mentioned it, but they started up a Season 9 and an Angel & Faith series.  A&F supposedly deals with Angel coming to terms with something he did in Season 8 (not reading it currently) while S9 seems a lot more grounded than Season 8 so far.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: