http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 06:31:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The $2000 oil change  (Read 2561 times)
Ironrod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2008, 07:09:33 PM »

Today my Miata went into the dealership for its 3,000 mile oil change. It's the first service in nearly a year, so I asked them about a short list of miscellaneous things. The car is four years old, just paid off this month, and has 20,000 miles.

The oil change
New batteries for my remote entry flinkers
Repair or remove a plastic part hanging down under the intercooler
State inspection sticker
Replace broken rear spoiler

The car has very low ground clearance, so the plastic strut that's hanging down is just a couple of inches off the road. If I don't remove it, it will eventually remove itself. It's just a strip of plastic that's ordinarily bolted to the undercarriage at three points. The center bolt sheared off, causing the strip to sag in the middle. This "skirt piece" turns out to be worth $212.

Two of my tires have sidewall damage from curb encounters. One gouge is deep enough to fail the inspection; the other is minor. Although these Toyos have only about 15,000 miles on them and their tread is fine, one really should be replaced. And since they're directional tires, that means two need to be replaced, and the two (good) left tires have to be reconfigured as rear tires. The cost to buy two new Toyos, swap the (directional) tires around so that they're properly paired, balance and align, is $529. 

Last fall I came out of a local bar to discover that some drunk had ripped the rear spoiler off my trunk -- who knows why? He succeeded in breaking off about six inches of the left side. It's just a cosmetic thing, but it bugs me. I figured that I would replace it once the car was finally paid off. So today I discovered that to have the dealer replace a "lip spoler" with a genuine Mazda part will run me a cool $1234.

Altogether, they would have liked to charge me $1,975 more than the $43 that I paid for an oil change and flinker batteries.  finger

So here's how I think I'm going to deal with it. The plastic skirt piece looks entirely expendable to me. I'm going to crawl under the car this afternoon and see if I can repair it myself. If I can't, I'm just going to remove it. The service guy said it's my "first line of defense" against road hazards. For $212, I'm willing to fall back on the second line of defense. Actual cost to me: $0.

To get through inspection, I'm going to re-mount two of my winter wheels. As soon as I get my sticker I'll put the summer wheels back on. Long term, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The Toyos are high-performance directional tires, and my Speed has a fine-tuned suspension. If I mix tire brands, the new ones must be very much like the original tires or the ride will suffer noticeably. Tire Rack's price on OEM tires is $179 each, vs. $152 from the dealer. I could get cheap new skins all around, but four cheap tires would end up costing about the same as two expensive ones when you figure in mounting, balance, and alignment. I might see what the neighborhood Firestone store can do. I doubt that I'm going to be able to replace those damaged tires for very much less than the dealer's quote. Actual cost to me: $0 up front, unknown over the longer term. I might end up letting the dealer go ahead with OEM tires. I probably won't do anything about it right away. OTOH, I'm supposed to be getting my government stimulus check on Friday. Much as I'd hate to spend $529 of my $600 on tires, that might just be my best option.

I'm going to price replacement spoilers at a couple of body shops. There must be aftermarket parts that are a lot cheaper than the genuine Mazda retail price. It's just a big piece of moulded plastic, after all. My car's an unusual color (mica red), so painting to match might be a little tricky. I had budgeted $500 for a new spoiler. If I can't find one for close to that, I'll file an insurance claim and get one for the $500 deductible. It's not insurance fraud -- the car really was vandalized -- but I'd have to be vague about the date, if not lie openly. Would the insurance company want a police report? The bar where it happened might have security cameras that don't back me up. I would much rather skip the insurance angle if I can find one reasonably close to my $500 budget. Actual cost to me: $0 right now, unknown over the longer term. Maybe I just keep living with a broken spoiler.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 07:13:55 PM »

Do we need a spoiler alert?   Tongue

g/l!

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 07:15:54 PM »

Between you and hepcat, I'm considering never getting an oil change again!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 07:18:13 PM »

I would definitely look for an aftermarket spoiler, on top of saving a lot of money you can pick out a different one that you may like more.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 07:23:03 PM »

Beside the tire rack, your local Discount Tire may also have cheap alternatives which are acceptable (YMMV -- rimshot).  Folks out here in the flyover states are pretty happy with their product line and especially pricing.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 07:25:05 PM »

What kind of Miata do you have?  If it's a sporty one, there's undoubtedly a big online community.  You'll probably be able to find someone in your area who's upgraded their spoiler to an aftermarket one and has the old one for sale.  You'll probably also be able to find someone that removed the skirt piece under the intercooler to make room for their own aftermarket intercooler.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 07:26:31 PM »

I've found that Costco and BJ's have good prices on tires as well. In fact I think it was cheaper then Tire Rack once you factor in installing it and crap.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 07:29:54 PM »

Quote from: The Meal on May 20, 2008, 07:23:03 PM

Beside the tire rack, your local Discount Tire may also have cheap alternatives which are acceptable (YMMV -- rimshot).  Folks out here in the flyover states are pretty happy with their product line and especially pricing.

The nearest one to me is in Ohio. Their web store doesn't beat Tire Rack.

Quote from: wonderpug on May 20, 2008, 07:25:05 PM

What kind of Miata do you have?  If it's a sporty one, there's undoubtedly a big online community.  You'll probably be able to find someone in your area who's upgraded their spoiler to an aftermarket one and has the old one for sale.  You'll probably also be able to find someone that removed the skirt piece under the intercooler to make room for their own aftermarket intercooler.

That's a really good point. I haven't been on the Miata.net forums in a long time. Maybe it's time to go back. I have a 2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5. Only 6,000 of those were manufactured in '04, and only 2,400 of those were in Velocity Red.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 07:37:12 PM »

My 2c is to stay away from the dealership.  I've had nothing but trouble with my dealership.  Fantastic time buying, horrible on return service.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 07:47:44 PM »

At least with a ripped up spoiler your car will look less like a chick car.

Discount Tire were the cheapest I could find for any tire.  They also have coupons online.  They also give AAA discounts amoung other things.  I don't know if they have discount tires out east.  The problem is that I don't see "Toyo" tires:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTiresByBrandSection.do?r=MIDINT

However in general a typical Miata with 17 inch rims have tire prices range from $90 per tire to $329 per tire.  The whole tire changing thing costs about another $25 per tire and like I said you can get discounts off those prices if you look for them.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/searchTiresByVehicleAndSize.do?r=MIDINT&cs=205&rd=17&ar=45&v=009425%7C2006

However if you insists on Toyos then your choices appear to be:

http://www.toyo.com/docs/findadealer.asp

Advance Tire
Ashmont Tire
TOWN FAIR TIRE
DIRECT TIRE
Medfield Tire & Battery Inc.
Tire Guy
Holliston Tire & Automotive

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 07:51:57 PM »

You will definitely need a police report for any sort of insurance claim.  That will be one of the first things they ask for.  If you tell them you haven't been to the police they won't honor your claim.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 07:53:36 PM »

What's a flinker?

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 07:55:31 PM »

Your tire cost quoted is just way too high.  Discout Tire Direct or Tire Rack and a non-dealership alignment place is a better choice. 

You're getting raped on that supposed cost of for a spoiler.  I used to inspect incoming front and rear fascias that would go on the cars we build and I can tell you that our cost was around $200 for a damaged fascia if I didn't catch it at the dock and that had fog lights and the energy absorber pre-installed on it, there is no way a spoiler costs that much unless it is made of titanium.  I'm sure enough idiots have wrecked a Miata or replaced the stock spoiler with an aftermarket one, check ebay, craigslist or any other place you can think of before you have a dealership order you a new factory one at that price.

Oh then trade the car in for a similar chick car like the Sky or Solstice.  The Sky looks a little more manly.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 07:58:14 PM by Rich » Logged

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 08:04:21 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on May 20, 2008, 07:53:36 PM

What's a flinker?

D'oh.  That was the real reason I posted and I totally got sidetracked.  WTF is a flinker?  Is that the same thing as keyless remote fob?
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 08:10:47 PM »

I don't understand why your are still going to the dealer for anything that's not under warranty.  Those guys charge piles of money for stuff that takes them a few minutes to do and they are the slowest place to get an oil change on the planet.

The quick oil change places have their risks, but as long as you double check their work (like making sure the plug is tight) you are as safe as anywhere else.  It's not like the dealer is going to be any easier to deal with if they screw it up.  The dealer dropped something on the hood of my car while it was in for warranty service, leaving two small dents, and refused to take responsibility for them.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 10:34:25 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 20, 2008, 08:04:21 PM

What's a flinker?

D'oh.  That was the real reason I posted and I totally got sidetracked.  WTF is a flinker?  Is that the same thing as keyless remote fob?

Must be a Bahhhston thing...he's been away from Michigan too long...

I bet he even calls his pop soda!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 10:39:38 PM »

The car has very low ground clearance, so the plastic strut that's hanging down is just a couple of inches off the road. If I don't remove it, it will eventually remove itself. It's just a strip of plastic that's ordinarily bolted to the undercarriage at three points. The center bolt sheared off, causing the strip to sag in the middle. This "skirt piece" turns out to be worth $212.

Isn't that actually the air dam that acts to bring cool air over the radiator and cool the engine? We had one on our Trans-Am and the middle did the same as your's ...it fell down but was connected on the ends. Our engine started overheating or getting near there. We bought a new one and after I installed it the engine was super cool again.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 11:01:55 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 20, 2008, 08:04:21 PM

What's a flinker?

Yes, it's our generic term for any remote control. I have no idea where we picked up that word, but my wife and I have both used it since the world was covered in ice and dirt was a new invention. To unlock the car or open the trunk remotely is to flink it. To disable a car's alarm is to flink it. It must be a Michigan thing. Or maybe an old person thing. Or maybe an old person from Michigan thing. I don't know.

Quote from: Rich on May 20, 2008, 07:55:31 PM

Oh then trade the car in for a similar chick car like the Sky or Solstice.  The Sky looks a little more manly.

Miatas are a gay car, not a chick car. And I so don't care about that. It is simply the best designed and most reliable roadster for the money. I've read that you can't raise and lower the Sky/Solstice top without getting out of the car. In the Miata I can just reach behind me and pull it up and forward. Takes less than 10 seconds. 

The dealer price on the Toyos themselves isn't too bad, $152 each IIRC. The rest of their price is for mounting, balancing, and doing an alignment (about $110). I could probably even get by without the alignment, but it has gone four years without one. Tire Rack doesn't sell Toyo. They have a Goodyear Eagle for $148 each that has the same tread pattern as my Toyos. My main constraint is wanting to match the two Toyos that are still in good shape. With a difference of $4 per tire, why not just buy the dealer's Toyos?

LM, those links are useful. One of those shops is within a few miles of home. I'll see if they can beat the dealer's price on Toyos. Then it's just a matter of finding somebody who'll do the service for a decent rate.

I use the dealership because I don't trust quickie oil change places. I've read too many message board threads and seen too many TV exposes about shoddy work and outright fraud. The dealership is usually one-stop shopping -- they have Mazdaspeed parts in stock and they know how to work on them so the convenience factor is a big plus. They also have a waiting room with WiFi and free coffee. Finally, Mazda Gallery's service dept. gets decent ratings for customer satisfaction.

But I agree, for major repairs I always try to find somebody else. Dealerships always default to the maximum amount of work they can sell. When I do encounter something unexpected like I did today, I look elsewhere for advice. I'm definitely going to find a used spoiler. I suppose a decent body shop can paint it to match.

The pisser is the amount of time that it's going to take me to track down the parts and service for the spoiler and tires. I thought the dealer would do the whole shebang inside of two hours today. And they would have if I'd coughed up the big bucks. Instead it has turned into a PITA. I just had no idea they would try to charge way over $1000 for a gorram piece of molded plastic. What a racket!

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 11:11:04 PM »

Do you really need a spoiler?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 11:32:54 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 20, 2008, 11:11:04 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 11:47:30 PM »

Think how good you're going to feel when you go in for a checkup at the dealer and they tell you you need a timing belt.About $300 zillion. Plus parts.

Ye Olde Farte
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 12:18:15 AM »

What always gets me the most about dealerships is the amount of time they say it will take to do something, I had a recall on the straps to my tailgate and yeah mine had busted before the recall came out it just took me forever to get around to replacing them.  I called up and made the appointment to get them replaced and they said be there around 8am.  I show up at 8am and they ask me if I need a ride back to my job?  I say why it takes less than 5 minutes to change the straps, they expected me to leave my truck there and pick it up at 5pm.  I told them to give me the damn straps and I'll replace them myself which brought about another BS response from them that they had to send the old ones back to get credit for the new ones.  Fine I said give me the new straps and wrench or socket set and I'll do it right in here in front of you myself and you can have your broken straps but I'm not leaving the truck here all day.  The guy finally relented and had a tech drive the truck forward and start on it right then and I was leaving 15 minutes later.

Oh on a lot of cars today that little airdam/deflector isn't going to hurt flow to the radiator, they usually have a separate horizontal one that covers the radiator opening to the underside of the car as well.  They are there more to control noise and aerodynamics than air flow to the engine.  I'm not saying this is the case with all cars but it would be an easy enough thing to test and it's not hard to remove yourself since it is more than likely just held on with a few plastic scrivits, some pliers and a flat head screwdriver will get them out.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 12:41:52 AM »

I say keep it at the dealer; provided you have a good one.. There are definitely dicks out there that will soak you, but I've been using the same Ford dealer for years (and a saturn dealer before that) where I trusted them no matter what; and to date I have yet to have an expensive repair.  I take it in with the car making horrible sounds; willing to pay whatever, they call me later and tell me they greased x parts and its fine: No charge. (Plus they washed the car to boot).

All about the dealer, and understanding each dealer is a private enterprise. Some owners have morals and ethics, others have none.  I did just about throat punch the kid at Mr Lube that decided to pull the plug on my differential to show me the "fluid is dirty".  I'm here for a f'ing oil change! I don't need you prodding my tranny and other shit (and I told them that when I pulled in, which they usually respect). Not happy.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 02:48:34 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 20, 2008, 11:11:04 PM

It's just decorative, but if I remove it the bolt holes and glue stains will look worse than the broken spoiler. And the trim package would look kind of weird without one. It's pretty low priority, though.

Quote from: dbt1949 on May 20, 2008, 11:47:30 PM

Think how good you're going to feel when you go in for a checkup at the dealer and they tell you you need a timing belt.About $300 zillion. Plus parts.

Fortunately I only put about 5,000 miles a year on my car. It doesn't even get its first tuneup until 30,000. It will be six years old by then. I'm a long way from needing major repairs and maintenance. And there's a gas station repair shop that we've used for my wife's car a couple of times with good results, so the dealer will never be doing major non-warranty work. Diagnosing it, sure.

Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 07:48:33 PM »

Quote from: Rich on May 21, 2008, 12:18:15 AM

What always gets me the most about dealerships is the amount of time they say it will take to do something, I had a recall on the straps to my tailgate and yeah mine had busted before the recall came out it just took me forever to get around to replacing them.  I called up and made the appointment to get them replaced and they said be there around 8am.  I show up at 8am and they ask me if I need a ride back to my job?  I say why it takes less than 5 minutes to change the straps, they expected me to leave my truck there and pick it up at 5pm.  I told them to give me the damn straps and I'll replace them myself which brought about another BS response from them that they had to send the old ones back to get credit for the new ones.  Fine I said give me the new straps and wrench or socket set and I'll do it right in here in front of you myself and you can have your broken straps but I'm not leaving the truck here all day.  The guy finally relented and had a tech drive the truck forward and start on it right then and I was leaving 15 minutes later.

Oh on a lot of cars today that little airdam/deflector isn't going to hurt flow to the radiator, they usually have a separate horizontal one that covers the radiator opening to the underside of the car as well.  They are there more to control noise and aerodynamics than air flow to the engine.  I'm not saying this is the case with all cars but it would be an easy enough thing to test and it's not hard to remove yourself since it is more than likely just held on with a few plastic scrivits, some pliers and a flat head screwdriver will get them out.

Careful.  The secondary may be air flow for you condenser.  Its all well and good until you hit that 90F day.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 07:51:44 PM »

$2000 ?

...you got off cheap

icon_cry

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 08:28:21 PM »

What size are the Mazdaspeed tires?  something like 205/45 17s IIRC??

Edit:  I see they are 205/40/17's.  I have 4 195/45/17's bridgestone Re050s that I took of an '08 Miata with lest than 500 miles on the clock.  They're yours for the price of shipping plus 100 bucks. Let me know.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:34:19 PM by Geezer » Logged
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 10:45:42 PM »

Quote from: Geezer on May 21, 2008, 08:28:21 PM

Edit:  I see they are 205/40/17's.  I have 4 195/45/17's bridgestone Re050s that I took of an '08 Miata with lest than 500 miles on the clock.  They're yours for the price of shipping plus 100 bucks. Let me know.

I do love my Bridgestone Blizzaks. But I'm finding a lot of complaints that the RE050s are intolerably noisy once they pass about 7,000 miles. Also that they wear out fast (<15,000 miles). I need to do more research. Thanks a bunch for the offer, I might still take you up on it. The price is sure right.  nod

Yesterday was my day for dealing with car maintenance. It's going to be the weekend before I can think about the tires, spoiler, and underskirt again.

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 07:20:49 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 21, 2008, 10:45:42 PM

I do love my Bridgestone Blizzaks. But I'm finding a lot of complaints that the RE050s are intolerably noisy once they pass about 7,000 miles. Also that they wear out fast (<15,000 miles). I need to do more research. Thanks a bunch for the offer, I might still take you up on it. The price is sure right.  nod

Yesterday was my day for dealing with car maintenance. It's going to be the weekend before I can think about the tires, spoiler, and underskirt again.

You're driving a Miata, running Blizzaks year 'round and you're worried about tire noise????
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 03:22:05 PM »

Quote from: Geezer on May 22, 2008, 07:20:49 PM

Quote from: Ironrod on May 21, 2008, 10:45:42 PM

You're driving a Miata, running Blizzaks year 'round and you're worried about tire noise????

No, the Blizzaks are my snow tires, and very good ones they are. Last winter the Miata successfully scaled a small icy hill that several 4WD trucks had failed (thank you, standard transmission!). I run my Toyos from mid April through Thanksgiving. The only problem is a deep sidewall gouge in one tire that technically should fail inspection. I can just slap my Blizzaks on the rear, drive 0.5 mile to the inspection station, then put the Toyos right back on after I get my sticker. It's a silly waste of time and effort, but it cuts my new tire expense to $0 for the time being. 

It occurs to me to ask why you removed the RE050s from a new Miata after only 500 miles?

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 04:30:51 PM »

Today I took some Krazy Glue to the rubber flaps on my sidewalls, and did an admirable cosmetic repair on the gouges. The car passed inspection. My Toyos have 15-20k miles of tread life left, which is why I was so reluctant to replace them. I resolve to allow a lot more room when backing into curbside parking spaces from now on. The wheels and sidewalls on the right side of my car have many scrapes and scratches. Those on the left are like new.

This afternoon I'm going to see if Krazy Glue can also address that plastic skirt piece. I have great faith in Krazy Glue and duct tape.

Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 06:00:51 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 27, 2008, 04:30:51 PM

I have great faith in Krazy Glue and duct tape.

Duct tape, chicken wire and Shoe Goo can fix anything.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008, 07:44:15 PM »

The plastic underbody strip yielded compliantly to my gluey ministrations, and a few small strips of duct tape should keep it nice and solid. The thing looks like it was designed to break away easily.

So all that's left is replacing the spoiler. No urgency there. Maybe I'll fashion one from duct tape and glue it on.

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008, 07:50:09 PM »

Ye Olde Farte
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 08:00:26 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 23, 2008, 03:22:05 PM

It occurs to me to ask why you removed the RE050s from a new Miata after only 500 miles?

The RE050s are not suited for track/autocross driving. Typically, changing out the OEM rubber is the very first thing anyone can do to a car to steal a little more performance.   With a few exceptions, OEM tires are pretty much fair to middling at best, as far as performance goes.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 08:01:57 PM by Geezer » Logged
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2008, 08:18:41 PM »

Quote from: Geezer on May 27, 2008, 08:00:26 PM

The RE050s are not suited for track/autocross driving. Typically, changing out the OEM rubber is the very first thing anyone can do to a car to steal a little more performance.   With a few exceptions, OEM tires are pretty much fair to middling at best, as far as performance goes.

I'd forgotten that you race Miatas. Although I've always toyed with taking mine out on a track, I doubt that I ever will.

I think that my Toyos are better tires than the Re050s, and I expect that I can get quite a few more miles from them, so I'm going to resist the temptation to store a set of backup tires in my garage. Thanks again for the offer. I hate walking away from a bargain.

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2008, 08:22:15 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 27, 2008, 08:18:41 PM

Quote from: Geezer on May 27, 2008, 08:00:26 PM

I'd forgotten that you race Miatas. Although I've always toyed with taking mine out on a track, I doubt that I ever will.

I think that my Toyos are better tires than the Re050s, and I expect that I can get quite a few more miles from them, so I'm going to resist the temptation to store a set of backup tires in my garage. Thanks again for the offer. I hate walking away from a bargain.

No worries smile  But you should definitely go to the track (or even just to an autocross) sometime.  Heaping piles of fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: