http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 09:47:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That One Toy  (Read 5390 times)
unbreakable
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2007, 03:19:04 AM »

I looked up AT-ATs on eBay a few weeks ago.  I think you can get one for about $35.
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2007, 04:20:39 AM »

My college roommate had one of these. He brought it with him from college, and it served as the coffee table in our apartment for two years. It also saw some hellacious battles between his GI Joes and my Battletech toys.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2007, 06:08:32 AM »

I still have skyfire, grimlock, a g1 Optimus knockoff (still in box), Ultra Magnus, Metroplex, and a handful of others... Snarl, Prowl (slightly broken)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2007, 06:33:46 AM »

I think my parents still have the Millennium Falcon that I had.  Well, all the parts that didn't come off of it at any rate.  Of course it doesn't make the action sounds anymore.

Such a fun toy.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2007, 02:21:10 PM »

I still have my Kenner X-Wing in box. No packing or anything though. Still works..sounds, lights, s-foils and stuff. Never had a action figure for the cockpit though.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2007, 02:26:29 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 09, 2007, 11:02:27 PM

Quote from: algernon on August 09, 2007, 05:07:09 PM

Speaking of old toys.  Anyone else see the new version of Crossbows and Catapults?  I think its called Warchest:  Crossbows & Catapults.  I was a Target and they had it for $34.99.  I never played as a kid but have heard good things. 

You have my attention sir.  Crossbows & Catapults was my absolute, #1 favorite game as a kid.

great game!  there was nothing like tripling up the rubber bands to make the weapons even more powerful  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »

I think the big ones for me were that G.I. Joe aircraft carrier, one of the Transformers group-bots (like the Constructicons) and any kind of off-road RC car.  I would have killed for an RC car.  Maybe that's why I love playing driving games so much. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2007, 02:44:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 10, 2007, 02:26:29 PM

Quote from: Gratch on August 09, 2007, 11:02:27 PM

Quote from: algernon on August 09, 2007, 05:07:09 PM

Speaking of old toys.  Anyone else see the new version of Crossbows and Catapults?  I think its called Warchest:  Crossbows & Catapults.  I was a Target and they had it for $34.99.  I never played as a kid but have heard good things. 

You have my attention sir.  Crossbows & Catapults was my absolute, #1 favorite game as a kid.

great game!  there was nothing like tripling up the rubber bands to make the weapons even more powerful  icon_twisted

Man, my brother & I could get those things moving.  If you used 3-4 rubber bands and tipped it forward, you could pretty easily destroy a castle in a single shot.  Not to mention doing some serious damage to the other person's kneecaps.  My parent's house still has small, carom-sized dents in the walls from this game, and I'm pretty sure my childhood cats were permanently traumatized.

Switching gears, anyone remember Stompers playsets?

Those little trucks were bad-ass.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 02:49:23 PM by Gratch » Logged

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2007, 04:11:57 PM »

I can't figure out why Stompers aren't still around.

Those were amazing toys.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2007, 04:13:44 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 10, 2007, 04:11:57 PM

Those were amazing toys.

probably because the new PC requirements for toys seem to be 'no choking hazards'.

Kids these days are pussies.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2007, 04:49:08 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 09, 2007, 07:02:05 PM

And I know he might not be modelled on a real world gun, but Shockwave sure looks like he'd be fair to classify as a gun:

Where did that grey shockwave come from?  That rocks.  I had only seen the purple ones.  I never really wanted anything I didn't get as a kid, didn't know I was spoiled like that until after high school.  Had pretty much any of them I wanted.  All the G1 transformers, loved Devastator a lot as a kid.  I got an AT-AT in 81 at Christmas, we also got a VCR and video camera the same year so we had (until the tape wore out) a nice video of a tiny me lifting the box that was bigger than myself and dropping it while bitching at my dad for saying Ack-ack instead of at-at. slywink

Recently I went on a kick of buying a few toys that I wanted like these (I've kinda been splurging a bit hedonistically lately as shown by these photos):

Links are the higher res ones

My new Robotech toys

http://www.harkonis.com/robotech.jpg

Transformers, Talisman and a bottle of Lucid absinthe

http://www.harkonis.com/talisman.jpg

Nemesis Prime

http://www.harkonis.com/optimus.jpg

I also bought the Pepsi G1 Prime also.  I spent way more than I should have on frivolous crap, somebody stop me!

I also bought this for halloween, this is a pic of my first time wearing it...

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2007, 05:06:40 PM »

It has to be said: 2003 Indanapolis Colts Jr. Cheerleaders?!

Also: no idea where the grey Shockwave comes from.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2007, 05:07:26 PM »

It was the junior cheerleaders, my niece got to perform at the halftime show and that's a picture of all the kids who went.

I moved out to the boonies and bought a house with my sister and her two kids since her ex-husband became too flaky to pay support like he should have and their lease was up on their own house.  Now I have to deal with all three of them about a million times more than I'd like to slywink  Does it still count as good karma if you whine about the deed? slywink
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 05:09:57 PM by Harkonis » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2007, 05:19:31 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 10, 2007, 04:13:44 PM

Quote from: ATB on August 10, 2007, 04:11:57 PM

Those were amazing toys.

probably because the new PC requirements for toys seem to be 'no choking hazards'.

What choking hazards? The battery case?  The tires?

Little punks.

Stompers did everything.

They had the thin tires. The had fat tires. They had ones that went into the water.  If they revived the brand it could be gigantic.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2007, 05:22:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 10, 2007, 05:06:40 PM

More importantly, never play pool with Harkonis.

Edit: What is that blue Robotech book?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2007, 05:25:51 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 10, 2007, 05:22:44 PM

or Rainbow Six Vegas if you want to live longer that 5 seconds  icon_wink

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2007, 05:28:44 PM »

That's actually the box and display case for the large red veritech fighter (Miriya's)

As far as the pool trophy, you have to realize it was for a team league, and I was only on the team because they needed to meet handicap limits.  We had too many good players (scale was 2-9, we had a bunch of 5's and a 7 and 9) so they needed a 2 slywink

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2007, 05:52:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 10, 2007, 05:25:51 PM

Quote from: ATB on August 10, 2007, 05:22:44 PM

or Rainbow Six Vegas if you want to live longer that 5 seconds  icon_wink

Yes but notice he stays away from GRAW2 and GOW cause he don't want to be SK0013D!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2007, 06:00:21 PM »

I did play Graw2 for a few weeks, did really well at it to, but you didn't want to do competitive, just coop and I find coop boring slywink  That's when I realized R6 is a far superior game Tongue
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2007, 06:47:20 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 10, 2007, 06:00:21 PM

I did play Graw2 for a few weeks, did really well at it to, but you didn't want to do competitive, just coop and I find coop boring slywink  That's when I realized R6 is a far superior game Tongue

Come back son. Come back!
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2007, 11:14:13 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 10, 2007, 02:44:24 PM

Switching gears, anyone remember Stompers playsets?

Those little trucks were bad-ass.

remember them?  hell, i had that exact set in your picture.  my brother and i had several of the trucks and they were awesome.  i actually saw them in a toy store a couple years ago and almost bought one just for nostalgia's sake.  i passed the opportunity and haven't seen them again since icon_frown

as for Transformers, they were my favorite toys growing up and i still have quite a few of my originals.  Optimus Prime, Jetfire, Omega Supreme, Devastator (all the constructicons), Sixshot, Camshaft, Overdrive, Astrotrain, Reflector, 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime, and almost all of the Alternators series are packed away in my closet right now.  my latest addition is Robo-Vision Optimus Prime, a cool Target-exclusive version of Prime from the new movie icon_cool

my brother and i used to have a bunch more original Transformers, but we parted ways with a lot of them years ago...stupid thing to do in retrospect, but our parents said we had too many.  the biggest loss from my collection that i'm almost ashamed to admit is giving up my original G1 Megatron icon_cry
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 11:18:22 PM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2007, 12:43:08 AM »

I just remembered one thing that I really wanted, the massive Lego Castle that came out in the early 80's....

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2007, 01:37:27 AM »

Man Stompers.I loved those things.I did'nt own the playset but I had 2 trucks and a bunch of dirt in my yard. When my cousins would stay over we all had Stompers. We'd wake up at 3am and have them going all over the place. A way cool toy for the time.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2007, 03:01:40 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 11, 2007, 12:43:08 AM

I just remembered one thing that I really wanted, the massive Lego Castle that came out in the early 80's....

the King's Castle was very cool.  i could never talk my parents into buying it, but a friend of mine had the set, along with a ton of other castle Legos.  the only castle set i ever had was the Black Falcon's Fortress...pretty cool, but nowhere near the size of that other monster.  i'm pretty sure it's still in the basement of my parent's house though icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2007, 03:52:44 AM »

I had and loved the Black Falcon's Fortress for the longest time, but longed for a 2nd castle.  Some years later, my wish was granted, and it was a very very happy birthday.

The battles between these two mighty factions were fierce indeed:

If I remember correctly, the Black Falcons had experience on their side, but the King's Mountain troops had superior technology.  (Crossbows!  Swivelly visors on the helmets!  Segmented trees!)
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2007, 04:08:39 AM »

One toy I am still trying to find again is ripcord motorcycle.  They came in about 5 different versions and were very small.  All plastic except for the back wheel was all metal.  You could adjust the rider to make it do wheelies etc.  These would have been out in the mid-80's and were around a $1 or maybe couple bucks.

I have no idea what the name is so can't even find a picture.  I just remember the riders having like yellow arms and blue bodies.

Would love to find them again but with no name and all the bigger more popular ripcord motorcycles it has been no luck so far.

Anyone have a clue what I am talking about?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2007, 04:14:22 AM »

This was my Lego castle. I think it probably pre-dates the ones you guys had:

Ah, the hours, and hours, and hours, and hours, and hours we spent with that thing.

EDIT:  Wow, this thing apparently came out in 1981.  Makes me feel really old...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 04:16:56 AM by Gratch » Logged

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2007, 04:18:32 AM »

Ya I remember those ripcord things. They were a long piece of flexible plastic with teeth on then and you stuck it in the toy and jerked it back out real fast. I had a copter and a car and maybe the cycle too. I could really BRZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz those things. You could really get some torque/gyro effect going with the wheels.

Heres the Ghost Rider version...

http://www.toysrus.com/sm-marvel-rip-cord-ghost-rider-flame-cycle--pi-2475389.html

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2007, 04:25:31 AM »

Quote from: disarm on August 11, 2007, 03:01:40 AM

the King's Castle was very cool.  i could never talk my parents into buying it, but a friend of mine had the set, along with a ton of other castle Legos.  the only castle set i ever had was the Black Falcon's Fortress...pretty cool, but nowhere near the size of that other monster.  i'm pretty sure it's still in the basement of my parent's house though icon_cool

I had the same deal.  After looking through all of that I think my friend had put together a bunch of castle sets as I remember it being alot bigger.

Because I can,
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2007, 04:30:39 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 11, 2007, 04:25:31 AM

Quote from: disarm on August 11, 2007, 03:01:40 AM

I had the same deal.  After looking through all of that I think my friend had put together a bunch of castle sets as I remember it being alot bigger.

I had the king's castle.  I remember though that in the picture shown it is closed.  It could then pulled out to make it seem much bigger.  Had lego hinges on it.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2007, 04:40:00 AM »

another obscure blasts from my past just to see if anyone else remembers...

Wrist Racers

a google search comes up almost empty, but i did find an eBay listing with some decent pictures...

they were little wind-up cars that you wore in that ridiculously big 'watch' with a ramp that pulled out so you could wind it up and launch it anywhere, straight from your wrist.  my brother and i loved racing ours icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2007, 07:39:13 AM »

wow.... A literal blast from the past!!!

and the blast part deux!!!!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 07:40:53 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2007, 11:55:35 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 09, 2007, 02:37:32 PM

The first ones that come to mind are:

i have that in the garage somewhere.

i count myself pretty lucky in that i had the best of the star wars ships and a fare chunk of good gi joe toys too. 

too bad i played with them though.  stupid kid i was.  :doh

there's a few mask toys, transformers, and a crazy metal robot, with 2 smaller ones and a little rubbery pilot stacked inside. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2007, 11:59:37 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 11, 2007, 11:55:35 PM

Wild Bill was my boy, yo.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2007, 12:07:01 AM »

the link i lifted that pic from relates to an auction of a mint boxed dragonfly which went for 1400.  my dad was right.  those things were worth more than i ever thought.

i really wanted the aircraft carrier to land the tomcat on. 

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2007, 03:53:18 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 09, 2007, 09:12:08 PM

Come to think of it one thing I really wanted and never got....cousins had one though...was this bad boy....

Santa hand-delivered this to me when I was 7 or 8.   Woke me up a little before midnight to give to me.   

- shaggy

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2007, 03:55:50 AM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on August 12, 2007, 03:53:18 AM

Santa hand-delivered this to me when I was 7 or 8.   Woke me up a little before midnight to give to me.   

- shaggy

that wasn't Santa.....  paranoid

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2007, 09:45:14 PM »

I had that. It was awesome and is still in pieces in a bucket somewhere in my garage.

The coolest toy I ever had was this:

This is the only picture i can find. It was SO awesome.  Depth charges...you could put guys in it...and it really floated.  It too is in my garage somewhere.

I also have the GI JOE jet that I nagged and nagged my parents to get.

The GI JOE tank would fall into the list of toys I always wanted but never got, but I bought the reissued one about 5 years ago.  Pretty cool!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2007, 09:46:08 PM »

Oh and I got that wild bill helicopter for my birthday. It was really neat too.

Man those toys were awesome.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2007, 11:34:09 PM »

A nice site that show G.I. Joes toys!

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: