http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 04:47:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Test your Die Hard knowledge (Die Hard is 25 years old?!)  (Read 465 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2013, 08:35:54 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/quiz/2013/jul/16/quiz-die-hard-test-your-knowledge

15 out of 20
I missed the 2 questions about DH4, John's daughter's name, the name of the chauffeur, and which airport DH2 is set at. 

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:40:20 PM »

17 out of 20.

Haven't seen Die Hard 4.0, so missed the villain in 4.0, the day on which it takes place, and for some reason I couldn't remember the length of time between Die Hard and Die Hard 2. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 08:59:30 PM »

There's only one Die Hard.  The others don't compare.  Two wasn't bad, but then it went downhill in a hurry. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 09:04:51 PM »

20 out of 20.  Yippie-ki-yay, motherfuckers.   icon_cool

Quote from: McNutt on July 16, 2013, 08:59:30 PM

There's only one Die Hard.  The others don't compare.  Two wasn't bad, but then it went downhill in a hurry. 

I quite enjoyed the first four.  Haven't seen the last one yet...looked pretty lame.

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:13:19 PM »

You scored 19 out of a possible 20

Very good! You're the Special Agent Johnson of Die Hard quizzes

missed #7
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »

You scored 18 out of a possible 20

Very good! You're the Special Agent Johnson of Die Hard quizzes.

Hark is the other agent Johnson - no relation.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:26:55 PM »

20 out of 20

Perfect score! If we were awarding prizes for this, we'd send you a copy of Hostage Terrorist, Terrorist Hostage: A Study in Duality

but I watched them all recently.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 10:28:27 PM »

18 out of 20. Couldn't bear to watch past the third one. The first one is a true classic.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 10:40:27 PM »

16 out of 20

It didn't tell me which ones i got wrong,it just said
Very good! You're the Special Agent Johnson of Die Hard quizzes

The worse thing was having questions about 4.0,like anyone remembers that!!

EDIT: oh my bad,i didn't see the show answers option
8,10,12 and 19 were the questions i answered wrong
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:50:33 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 11:01:32 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on July 16, 2013, 10:28:27 PM

The first one is a true classic.

Every Christmas my wife suggests we watch a Christmas movie.  I always put on Die Hard.  Best.  Christmas.  Movie.  Ever.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 11:03:18 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 16, 2013, 11:01:32 PM

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on July 16, 2013, 10:28:27 PM

The first one is a true classic.

Every Christmas my wife suggests we watch a Christmas movie.  I always put on Die Hard.  Best.  Christmas.  Movie.  Ever.

i try and watch it and Lethal Weapon every X-mas.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 11:13:41 PM »

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 12:58:59 AM »

Die Hard 4.0? NA was the only place it was called Live Free Or Die Hard?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 09:58:13 AM »

I enjoyed the last two (5 much more than 4 fwiw).  I at least think both 4 and 5 were more entertaining overall than 2 for me, just wish it had more of the donut eating cop.  1 and 3 are still my favorites
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 17, 2013, 12:58:59 AM

Die Hard 4.0? NA was the only place it was called Live Free Or Die Hard?

Yep.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 03:03:20 PM »

The 4.0 threw me... I kept thinking 'Was there a Die Hard I didn't see?'

14/20
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »

Even though I've seen Live Free or Die Hard in theaters and on TV numerous times, I missed those two questions (3 and 7). I refused to see A Good Day to Die Hard earlier this year, and I'm not surprised the quiz doesn't reference it at all.

The original film -- if you're not seeing the near comically censored, sanitized version shown on basic cable seemingly every week -- still mostly holds up as well as the last couple of sequels don't. I actually saw Live Free or Die Hard a couple times in theaters and then got it on DVD but it doesn't just hold up well when I see it now.

I say Mostly (for Die Hard) because the FBI agents and the Idiot Police Captain (played by the guy who plays the obnoxious teacher in The Breakfast Club) are imho a little too conveniently, utterly idiotic. If somebody did a reboot, I'd tweak those characters a bit.

With the sequels, I boil it down mostly to the sequels Trying Too HardTM to Top Die HardTM, and forgetting if you don't care about the characters, including the supporting characters, and you don't have a villain near as interesting as Alan Rickman's Gruber, then all the stunts, bullets and digital FX in the world won't make the audience get into the movie. It's like the directors keep thinking Die Hard is about more bullets and more explosions, rather than about characters first, suspense, and then all the pyrokinetics build off of that.

btw, my little apparently wrong triva I remember is that Die Hard With a Vengeance's script was originally called Simon Says, and was initially submitted as a possible Lethal Weapon sequel. According to sites, that's actually not true:
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2013/03/13/movie-legends-revealed-die-hard-3-started-out-as-lethal-weapon-4/
Screenwriter Jonathan Hensleigh sold a screenplay tentatively titled Simon Says to 20th Century Fox in 1992 or Ď93. The original screenplay was much like what we eventually saw in Die Hard With a Vengeance, except that Simonís motives would be exactly as they seemed, just seeking revenge (so basically the entire second half of the movie was unique to the Die Hard script). Hensleigh noted on the commentary for Die Hard With a Vengeance that the idea for the story came to him when he thought about an incident in his childhood when he had injured one of his friends. What if that friend had never gotten over it and sought revenge years later? That was the basic concept behind the script. Fox purchased the script with the intention of turning it into a starring vehicle for burgeoning star Brandon Lee, who had just made the action film Rapid Fire. It was a hit, and studio executives thought he was going to be a big deal. So they began negotiations on sequels to Rapid Fire as well as developing other starring vehicles for Lee, including Simon Says. The original screenplay would star a New York cop named Alex Bradshaw (played by Lee) with the character that became Zeus Carver being an African-American woman.

Tragically, Lee was killed in 1993 during the filming of The Crow. The script went back into the pile of available projects owned by Fox. It was still a well-regarded script, however, which is important when it comes to sequels, as you have to try to convince some of these stars to come back for another film when they really are not particularly interested in doing another sequel (Willis notably turned down a number of scripts for a third Die Hard during the early 1990s). So when Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver were looking to make a fourth Lethal Weapon, they contacted Fox and tried to buy the script. Thatís undoubtedly where the legend originates. However, the sale never actually occurred (they didnít end up finding a good enough script for Lethal Weapon 4 until 1998).

Eventually, director John McTiernan (the director of the first Die Hard film) discovered the script and adapted it into Die Hard With a Vengeance in 1995 (still at Fox).
So it was interesting in being seen as a vehicle for the late Brandon Lee. And maybe at this point Fox should stop trying to get Die Hard scripts done from the ground up -- maybe it's better at this point to just look at action scripts and find one that's Good, and then see if it can be tweaked to work as a Die Hard movie.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 06:07:53 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »

I saw A Good Day to Die Hard while on the plane and while it was enjoyable, it definitely falls into both those categories BJ.  it also harkens back to DHWaV (3) with a similar action.  the enemies only stand out in one way in that the main bad guy looks like The Most Interesting Man in the World. 

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 08:18:11 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 17, 2013, 06:00:11 PM

maybe it's better at this point to just look at action scripts and find one that's Good, and then see if it can be tweaked to work as a Die Hard movie.  icon_smile

Die Hard 4 Whatever also didn't start out as a Die Hard script. The original was a book, so maybe that's why it's the only really good one. The book was a sequel (there were lots of name changes and stuff), and interestingly enough, the not-John Mclain role in the movie adaptation of that prequel book was Frank Sinatra.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:19:42 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 08:23:20 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 17, 2013, 08:18:11 PM

Die Hard 4 Whatever also didn't start out as a Die Hard script. The original was a book, so maybe that's why it's the only really good one. The book was a sequel (there were lots of name changes and stuff), and interestingly enough, the not-John Mclain role in the movie adaptation of that prequel book was Frank Sinatra.

odd, did not know that.  although I question the bolded part.  I like the first one and the third one most. 

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 08:59:06 PM »

1,3,2,4.....not seen 5,but yeah,thats my order

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 09:12:13 PM »

I got 14/20, which I think is pretty good given that I've never seen any of the movies  icon_wink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 08:12:59 PM »

19! The one I got wrong I somehow forgot to click but I knew the answer. It seems sort of pathetic that I know these movies inside and out.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: