http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 03:30:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Terminator TV Show  (Read 3142 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2008, 04:31:06 AM »

Anyone watch this tonight?

So far it's pretty bad acting.

Well there's a bunch of stuff taken directly from the movies.  The acting is pretty bad throughout.  Sarah Connor is played by the Queen from 300.  For a second it seemed like they were trying to hint at a love connection with the Terminator o_0
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:30:36 AM by leo8877 » Logged
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 07:42:48 AM »

I wasn't that impressed. I like Lena Headey but she's definitely no Linda Hamilton from T2. I'll keep watching though for a bit and see where things go.

By the way, if your son is the future saviour of the human race and had to be protected at all costs, wouldn't you at least homeschool him???
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 08:50:23 AM »

I have a hard time seeing how it's going to be interesting for weeks on end.  They are inevitably going to have to have episodes that aren't action sequence driven, and having the kid help a small town or the terminator girl deal with love just isn't going to work.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 01:21:28 PM »

I've TiVo'd it, but we'll see how it progresses.  From a few friends that have seen a few more episodes they tell me that it gets better.  They may just be becoming numb to it though...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 02:00:13 PM »

i missed it but don't know that i care enough to worry about it.

I just wish Cameron would do Terminator IV and say Terminator III didn't actually happen.  But here's what the future is like and how the Terminators came about.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »

I personally liked it considering I've been bad mouthing it all week. It is a refreshing change to all the reality shows and reality game shows that have come to taken over our prime time tv. It gave me that feeling I had back in the 80's when A-Team, AirWolf, Night Rider, Magnum P.I. etc. lots of explosions, gun fights, fist fights yet no one would die  icon_confused
As mentioned earlier it will be interesting to see how they pull this off for an entire season. If it fails, I still got CSI Miami on Monday nights to look forward too. 

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 02:24:54 PM »

As mentioned earlier it will be interesting to see how they pull this off for an entire season. If it fails, I still got CSI Miami on Monday nights to look forward too. 

Man, I dunno.  CSI Miami has gone so far off the deep end lately for me.  The facing away, glasses on, glasses off, groan-inducing one-liners from Horstachio (or at least thats what we call him at my place) stuff is just really getting on my nerves.  And what happened to the lab tech that Callie discovered doing shady whatnot and she gave him 24 hours to turn himself in?  Dropped plot thread...  I love CSI, but Miami has just been ultra lame this season.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 02:32:40 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on January 14, 2008, 08:50:23 AM

I have a hard time seeing how it's going to be interesting for weeks on end.  They are inevitably going to have to have episodes that aren't action sequence driven, and having the kid help a small town or the terminator girl deal with love just isn't going to work.

Which is exactly the vibe I got from the previews. I hadn't seen a one until yesterday, odd considering I'm a hardcore Terminator fanatic, but when I watched it and read the synopsis I said screw it. No offense to the ladies, but the whole point behind the Terminators originally was that SkyNet needed a way to blend their machines in to a crowd. I can understand SkyNet going for a sleeker look with each new generation (ala T-1000) but tiny and hot women as cybernetic harbingers of death? That's silly. smile

I'll go watch the originals in protest and ignore the series, especially since Fox will likely cancel it before it hits episode eight.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 02:47:55 PM »

I'll tivo the first few episodes and then will watch a few.  I'm not happy with them going for a Female Terminator, but I guess they felt that needed to go with some hotness to get the young male demographic

I was initially pretty upset with Starbuck being cast as a female and that worked out pretty well.  I hope this works out

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 02:57:46 PM »

I enjoyed it for the most part.  Then again, I like Summer Glau and Lena Headey both, so there ya' go.

But as a tv series?  I'm inclined to agree with the doubters.  You have a story about a woman who is extremely hardcore and hence probably not very likable to the masses.  You have a teen who is pissed that he's constantly on the run, so will probably come off as being whiney, which won't be very likable to the masses.  And you have a hot terminator girl who is going to show a lot less emotion than most people will like.  I think they have a tough row to hoe.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 03:09:01 PM »

I got my DVR set to record all the new episodes and figure I'll catch up on it eventually provided FOX doesn't cancel it within 4 episodes.  I'm a bit behind on my DVR recordings, so it could be awhile- I still have Tin Man on there.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 03:17:50 PM »

I'll wait until the internet zeitgeist passes judgement on whether this is good or not.

But I have to say, I've been waiting to see a Terminator movie set in the future since, well, since Terminator.  There was actually a really good comic book which showed the final battle against SkyNet.  Really interesting the way it was presented, in that it was basically win that fight or go extinct.  That was, one way or the other, the last battle.

However, since they've used like nothing from any of the comics for any of the story, I doubt that story will make it onto film.  Which is a shame.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 03:35:54 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 14, 2008, 03:17:50 PM

But I have to say, I've been waiting to see a Terminator movie set in the future since, well, since Terminator. 

Pretty sure that's what Terminator 4 (with Christian Bale as John Connor) is going to be. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 03:51:22 PM »

I thought it was OK.    Given the lack of TV shows that are watchable right now I am wiling to give it a chance to grow.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 04:01:55 PM »

I still have Tin Man on there.

Delete it to make space.   Seriously, just delete it to make that space blank.  You don't have to fill it, just don't fill it with...that.  Bell was the only redeeming quality to that show and even her hotness can't save the whole thing.  What a mess...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Kratz
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 04:25:57 PM »

Ugh... Tin Man... we didn't make it past the first hour of that shitfest.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 05:06:34 PM »

I tivod it, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Lena Headey is yummy, Summer Glau is less annoying now, so I am looking forward to it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 05:12:21 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 14, 2008, 02:57:46 PM

I think they have a tough row to hoe.

With Linda Hamilton from T2, that line would read:

"I think they have a tough hoe to row."

I had totally forgotten about this show, and it seems like I can continue to do so.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 05:33:11 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 14, 2008, 02:00:13 PM

i missed it but don't know that i care enough to worry about it.

I just wish Cameron would do Terminator IV and say Terminator III didn't actually happen.  But here's what the future is like and how the Terminators came about.

Not a chance of that happening.  Ever.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 06:20:56 PM »

Cameron actually liked T3 IIRC. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 06:28:40 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 14, 2008, 06:20:56 PM

there was something to like about it?  other than it's ending, i don't remember much about it.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 06:31:46 PM »

I thought it was grossly underrated (and I do remember him saying that he thought that ending was the way it should have turned out).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 06:35:08 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 14, 2008, 06:31:46 PM

I thought it was grossly underrated (and I do remember him saying that he thought that ending was the way it should have turned out).

I thought it was completely underwhelming.  Haven't seen it or thought much about it since I saw it opening night. I didn't hate it or anything but I have zero desire to ever see it again.  The ending was kind of nifty but that was pretty much it. 

Re: the TV show- ratings were huge so if word of mouth is decent then it will probably hang around.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 06:58:26 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 14, 2008, 06:28:40 PM

there was something to like about it?  other than it's ending, i don't remember much about it.

The only way the ending could have been genuinely spot-on perfect would be if it had used Brad Fiedel's theme from "Terminator 2." I say that one in particular because its more emotional and less industrial then the theme from the first film. That theme music over the finale would have left me blown away.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 07:37:59 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 14, 2008, 06:35:08 PM

Quote from: Calvin on January 14, 2008, 06:31:46 PM

I thought it was completely underwhelming.  Haven't seen it or thought much about it since I saw it opening night. I didn't hate it or anything but I have zero desire to ever see it again.  The ending was kind of nifty but that was pretty much it. 

I loved T3-  it's the only Terminator film I own.  To me T2 felt to be too much of a re-tread of the first one- even the action sequences felt the same where as T3 felt fresh.  I'm very much looking forward to T4.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 07:52:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 14, 2008, 07:37:59 PM

I loved T3-  it's the only Terminator film I own.  To me T2 felt to be too much of a re-tread of the first one- even the action sequences felt the same where as T3 felt fresh.  I'm very much looking forward to T4.

Man, that's just weird because my response is the opposite- T2 feels radically different than T1 to me, while T3 felt like a complete retread of both. 
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 10:00:41 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 14, 2008, 07:52:20 PM

Man, that's just weird because my response is the opposite- T2 feels radically different than T1 to me, while T3 felt like a complete retread of both. 

At least Kevin and I can agree that Ceekay is retarded. Terminator 1 is a lean, mean, wonderful film filled with a genuine sadness about driving headlong towards a fate you know will destroy everything. T2, while a good film, is the quintessential studio summer film - loud, splashy, obnoxious for the most part. That it remains a solid film, and a worthy sequel, is testament to James Cameron. The third one? It had a terrific ending. 'Bout it, really.

TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 10:10:27 PM »

watched it, it was OK,  then turned on the Wire,  simply the best damn TV show currently made IMHO.  Sorry to say your fantasy based CIS shows need to take a reality check from The Wire,  the budgets in the Wire is how it really happens.  Towns/cities cant even afford to upkeep the cars, let alone find money for DNA testing. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 10:54:29 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on January 14, 2008, 10:00:41 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 14, 2008, 07:52:20 PM

At least Kevin and I can agree that Ceekay is retarded. Terminator 1 is a lean, mean, wonderful film filled with a genuine sadness about driving headlong towards a fate you know will destroy everything. T2, while a good film, is the quintessential studio summer film - loud, splashy, obnoxious for the most part. That it remains a solid film, and a worthy sequel, is testament to James Cameron. The third one? It had a terrific ending. 'Bout it, really.

wow, about the only thing that always pops to mind whenever I think about the first film is Linda's tits  slywink

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 10:58:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 14, 2008, 10:54:29 PM

wow, about the only thing that always pops to mind whenever I think about the first film is Linda's tits  slywink

CeeKay sounds pretty rational to me.

BTW, love the new avatar.  I've been meaning to buy that shirt for a long time.
Kratz
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 11:54:19 PM »

I liked T3.  I thought it was fun for what it was, just like the others.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 01:30:07 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 14, 2008, 10:58:33 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 14, 2008, 10:54:29 PM

CeeKay sounds pretty rational to me.

BTW, love the new avatar.  I've been meaning to buy that shirt for a long time.

thanks.  t-shirt hell seems to be a great place for avatars.

Because I can,
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 02:36:57 AM »

Dammit.  It started out as a fun show (read not great but fun) and a half hour in the second episode, it just took a big huge shit.  Where John goes after doing a little Googling is the dumbest thing I have ever seen.  There is no way this guy is the savior of humanity.  No wonder we burn up.  I'm done.

omgz
unbreakable
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2008, 04:09:47 AM »

Sounds like it has the same problems which make me loathe "Smallville", aka "the Superman soap opera".
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 05:24:59 AM »

Tonights episode was not as action filled as last nights but the intensity was just as high. IMO I feel it could be a good show even if it last only one season.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 02:26:09 AM by JuniorDan » Logged

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2008, 06:25:09 AM »

I dunno, I'm enjoying it.

gellar
BiggerBoat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2008, 07:40:58 AM »

Saw the first episode, but didn't realize they had another one the next night so missed that. I don't think I missed much, based on the pilot.

Production values in the first episode were fairly decent. Not much of a plot -- All set-up. Lena Headey is pretty good as Sarah. I'm ambivalent about Thomas Dekker as John. I certainly liked Summer Glau in Firefly, and she's got the talent and physicality to play some sort of kick-ass heroine, but she's not a Terminator. They seem to be hinting around that maybe she's not a typical terminator, she's something new (she eats potato chips!), but I'm not sure if that's just the reference to her ability to transition from giggly schoolgirl to blank-eyed robot.

The bad terminators have gone from relentless, indestructible killing machines to the Keystone cops of the robot world. The substitute teacher, rather than pursuing John, pauses for something like 8 seconds to toss of an amusing aside. Arnold had his share of one-liners, but he never let them get in the way of the job.

Also, the terminator movies gave us a progression of terminators just to keep things interesting. T1 was the android. T2 was the "liquid metal" T-1000.. T3 had the T-X. But, In the Sarah Conner Chronicles we're back to a couple of the first gen models tossing each other around a room.

And, the timeline is completely whacked. Maybe it's an alternative universe.

Do they have John and the Terminator going to high school in the 2nd episode. How about home schooling these kids, Sarah?

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2008, 01:21:05 PM »

And, the timeline is completely whacked.

It's a show... about TIME TRAVEL
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2008, 02:20:31 PM »

I finished the second episode since I had it started.  It is still a fun show although I can tell they are going to throw everything at it they can to draw it out.  Considering it is on right after the only other show I watch (American Gladiators!) I'll stick with it.  I'd like to support a show like this instead of some other lawyer/doctor/cop show.  I do predict at least one groan inducing moment per episode and I will immediately stop watching the second there is man/robot love!

omgz
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2008, 03:16:14 PM »

Quote from: BiggerBoat on January 15, 2008, 07:40:58 AM

And, the timeline is completely whacked. Maybe it's an alternative universe.

they could have always gone with the version where John Connor ends up being a girl  icon_wink

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: