http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 08:00:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Season 2  (Read 2712 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2009, 07:20:14 PM »

well, the season finale is next week, and rumor has it the series isn't coming back for a third  icon_frown  the last few episodes have been pretty good, with a surprising loss on Fridays episode.  I'm just hoping they don't have a cliffhanger.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 09:24:54 PM »

Hmm, I've fallen behind. I'm not around when it's on but have watched via hulu. I'll have to try to catch up soon..
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 11:20:07 PM »

Hopefully another network will pick this up.  I wasn't expecting the tragic event this past week.  Bummed me out.  I don't see how they can wrap everything up with one show.  John Henry, his brother,  the little girl, Ellison and the evil metal bitch make for an interesting story arc.  This has been a solid series since about a third of the way through season one.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 12:13:47 AM »

Quote from: dmd on April 05, 2009, 11:20:07 PM

I wasn't expecting the tragic event this past week. 

it was so out of the blue and sudden that I had to rewind and watch it a couple of times just to make sure what happened really happened.

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 12:15:37 AM »

My theory is that the "Evil Metal Bitch" is actually fighting against the future Skynet Robots. She is one of the European Liquids that we saw in the sub episode that is independent and is actually trying to develop John Henry to combat the future Skynet. Thus the current John Henry's brother is actually the Skynet computer. Nothing else really makes sense given all the clues they have dropped. Of course we still have one more episode to find out. I really hope it gets picked up. The fact that there is a new movie coming out may help its chances.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 12:44:53 AM »

They've been killing off characters left and right lately.  Two main characters dead, one supporting character dead and another most likely dead.

I will agree that the second last episode ranks up there with one of the better TV deaths of all time.  No hype, no preview just insant and violent.

16-bit and loving it!
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 04:11:44 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on April 06, 2009, 12:15:37 AM

...She is one of the European Liquids that we saw in the sub episode ...
I guessed I missed this.   Is this an online episode or what?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 04:15:00 AM »

Quote from: dmd on April 06, 2009, 04:11:44 AM

that was about two episodes ago or so.  The Last Voyage of the Jimmy Carter, parts 1 and 2.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 04:26:49 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 06, 2009, 04:15:00 AM

Quote from: dmd on April 06, 2009, 04:11:44 AM

that was about two episodes ago or so.  The Last Voyage of the Jimmy Carter, parts 1 and 2.

that's not proven though...just a theory that Scraper suggested.  there's been no evidence so far to link Weaver to the liquid terminator seen on the sub or confirm that she's against Skynet.  that's all just speculation so far...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 04:34:40 AM »

my understanding of dmd's question was that he was asking about the sub episode and the appearance of the liquid metal robots, not about the validity of scraper's theory.  perhaps i misunderstood what he was asking about.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 04:56:15 AM »

I hate it that so many sci-fi shows get cancelled almost exactly at the time they start to get really good and find their "voice."  It's really frustrating.  What is even more frustrating is that sci-fi fans just don't seem to put in solid ratings in a consistent block.  How is it that Mexican soap operas can routinely blast great shows like this and Reaper, Firefly, etc. - by two to one?!??! 

Anyway, I hope it can get picked up again, any chance for a save on the sci-fi channel.  I think the execs at Fox are a bunch of fucking idiots.  Why do they even bother with shows like this and Dollhouse only to drown and kill them?  You know it's not that difficult to figure some of these things out.  Hmmm there is a HUGE Terminator sequel coming out this summer.  Gee I wonder if there's anything that might be done to cross-promote this.  Geee ummm errrr derrr nah let's just stick our Terminator show in a death slot months before the movie comes out.  Hmmmm we have the #1 and #2 show on every week.  Gee I wonder if it might make sense to promote a new show by placing it after one of these shows, even just the premiere to get people excited.  Nah, let's just stick it in the historically worst slot of the week.  Ugh. 
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 12:50:25 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 06, 2009, 04:34:40 AM

my understanding of dmd's question was that he was asking about the sub episode and the appearance of the liquid metal robots, not about the validity of scraper's theory.  perhaps i misunderstood what he was asking about.
I'm a little sick, so my thought processes are not up to par(I was being dense).  When I read sub episode, I was thinking mini episode, not submarine episode.  I saw both, but still didn't catch that the liquid in the box was a European flavor.  I was also thinking about a tie-in to the upcoming movie, but I guess that'd be too much to ask. 
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 01:21:07 PM »

My theory is that the "Evil Metal Bitch" is actually fighting against the future Skynet Robots.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like she's trying to protect the Skynet-kills-everybody future.  My guess is she's going for some sort of timeline where terminators get invented, but humanity isn't wiped out.

It'll really be too bad if this show gets canned.  It's been consistently good and doesn't have the huge plot holes I've come to expect with most science fiction programs.  Hopefully the new movie will stir up some interest and the show will somehow stay on the air.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 02:00:12 PM »

Quote from: dmd on April 06, 2009, 12:50:25 PM

Quote from: hepcat on April 06, 2009, 04:34:40 AM

I'm a little sick, so my thought processes are not up to par(I was being dense).  When I read sub episode, I was thinking mini episode, not submarine episode.  I saw both, but still didn't catch that the liquid in the box was a European flavor.  I was also thinking about a tie-in to the upcoming movie, but I guess that'd be too much to ask. 

Yeah this is all my theory like Disarm said. But the Submarine went to Europe to pick up the package, the package was actually the liquid terminator who had a message for future John Connor. John asked them (whoever them is) if they would join him. They said no. So I assume that wherever the liquid terminator is from, it is separate from Skynet. The liquid terminator also killed a human very freely so I assume it's not under the control of other humans in Europe.

With all of these assumptions it's not a stretch to then think that the "evil metal bitch" is actually from the same line of terminators as the liquid one on the sub and that they are working against skynet. Heck they could even be John Henry of the future terminators. Evil Bitch even said in the last episode that the future of the human race may depend on John Henry.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 02:10:32 PM »

I like it.  That would help explain why the little girl was targeted for termination.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 02:23:25 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on April 06, 2009, 01:21:07 PM

My theory is that the "Evil Metal Bitch" is actually fighting against the future Skynet Robots.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like she's trying to protect the Skynet-kills-everybody future.  My guess is she's going for some sort of timeline where terminators get invented, but humanity isn't wiped out.

Yet she wipes out someone on her own staff who doesn't agree with her, wipes out everyone in the facility that was doing something with terminator alloys, John Henry insinuates that she wiped out several employees who are recorded as having left the company, and she hints that Ellison may be wiped out if he outlives his usefulness.

She also hints that the survival of the little girl is inconsequential to the survival of John Henry. It doesn't sound like an entity who is too concerned with whether everyone dies or just mostly everyone.

We've already noted that John Henry can lie, and he was just recently taught to lie by Ellison and Liquid Mommy terminator. How much easier would it be for liquid mommy terminator to lie, especially since that's the whole reason for the shapeshifting - infiltration and subterfuge.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 03:01:01 PM »

Quote from: raydude on April 06, 2009, 02:23:25 PM

Yet she wipes out someone on her own staff who doesn't agree with her, wipes out everyone in the facility that was doing something with terminator alloys, John Henry insinuates that she wiped out several employees who are recorded as having left the company, and she hints that Ellison may be wiped out if he outlives his usefulness.

She also hints that the survival of the little girl is inconsequential to the survival of John Henry. It doesn't sound like an entity who is too concerned with whether everyone dies or just mostly everyone.

We've already noted that John Henry can lie, and he was just recently taught to lie by Ellison and Liquid Mommy terminator. How much easier would it be for liquid mommy terminator to lie, especially since that's the whole reason for the shapeshifting - infiltration and subterfuge.

The main thing that's got me thinking that she may be up to something at least partially benevolent (well, more benevolent than Judgement Day, anyhow) is that she's got Ellison giving John Henry morality lessons.  The purpose definitely could be that she's trying to turn JH into a better killer.  On the other hand, the lessons seem to be having the exact opposite effect.  JH is probably the most likeable, and in some ways the most human, character on the show right now.    It'll be interesting to see if that's actually what Liqui-Mom is going for, and if so, why. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 03:14:25 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on April 06, 2009, 01:21:07 PM

Here's the difference I see. Skynet is after the complete annihilation of the human race. They kill to kill. Evil Bitch seems to only kill when she has to for her mission. The liquid on the sub killed the initial human she saw, then it hid until it delivered the message. It could have gone on a killing spree and killed everyone there, but it didn't. While Evil metal chick will kill I don't think it is her purpose or her sides purpose to kill humans. Humans just get in the way sometimes. When Evil metal chick went to the warehouse in the desert she went there to destroy it, I assume this was a skynet facility, she killed everyone there, not because it was her job to kill, but because she had to erase the place from history.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 07:52:47 AM »

Just caught up to the latest episode on hulu.

Yep, I see her actions very much as a practical machine there for a mission, but one that isn't from skynet, but isn't for the humans either.

I think she's from the separatist machines and like them, are mainly concerned about her and her kind alone.  All the separatists are likely self aware to a point, whereas all the machines under skynet are its slaves.  The construction of John henry

And I was actually hoping the story would take a turn along this route as it was already setup in T2 that a machine could learn on its own if somehow separated from skynet.

And wow, really wow at the character death.  Really gutsy move doing that.  Although I suspect there were other things happening with that actor, or they needed to prune the cast a bit.  Still what a really fitting way for a character to die, nothing drawn out, just dead while doing his job.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:07:55 AM by Turtle » Logged
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 12:28:51 PM »

Quite the season finale (and final scene).  Too bad we probably won’t see a season 3.

16-bit and loving it!
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 02:53:56 PM »

Yeah, I'm going to be really bummed out when they cancel this show. The last few episodes have been some of the finest TV I've watched in quite a while.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 11:37:19 PM »

Yeah, sad to see this show go away now that it has prepped the way for Terminator Salvation.

On the other hand, once the new terminator movie comes out, maybe it will revitalize interest in the show.  But, I doubt it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 01:13:34 AM »

damn, they did a good job making the ending a cliffhanger but not a cliffhanger at the same time.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 06:03:21 PM »

The show is quite obviously drawing strong parallels between the liquid terminator and Sarah Connor. They both have a "son" that in their eyes is absolutely vital to the surivival of the human race, and they are both willing to do absolutely anything, up to and including killing anyone in their path, to make sure their destiny comes to pass. I'm surprised I'm the first one to point this out, as I didn't feel it was done very subtly.

I'm happy the show is over and that it ended on a strong note. The entire middle part of the season has been really really weak, and I'm afraid a third season would have been as well. It also doesn't help that Terminator Salvation completely ignores the events in the show, which would just confuse new fans looking for a continuation of the movie's universe.

I also have to say that I'm pleased that Skynet was introduced so casually, and that there was nothing the Connors could have done to stop it. It was just there, and we got no clue about how it was built and what it really is, nor at what stage of its development it was at.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 09:09:46 PM »

I never got into the show (I wanted to), but I'm crazy about Lena Headey. If you need another dose of her, she's in one of the "After Dark Horrorfest III: 8 Films to Die For," called "The Broken," and it actually sounds like one of the more interesting (i.e., less of an all out gorefest) of the films (something about a family mirror shattering an unleashing murderous doppelgangers, if I'm reading it right).
http://www.horrorfestonline.com/#/films

As for the Chronicles, I'm sure I'll catch up on DVD sets at some point. I think to some extent it's a show I could get more into if I was watching a concentrated dose of it.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 09:27:36 PM »

It started out weak as it tried to reconcile with the movies and placate the fans. I almost abandoned it when it was just car chases and fight scenes. But once it made peace with itself and found its own footing, it delivered some pretty solid sf. As disappointed as I was to learn that it's very likely going off the air, I don't see how they can bring it back now. The writers really wrote themselves into a corner.

I'll say this, though: When I eventually rent the new movie DVD, it will be very hard to take it at face value and pretend that the TV series never happened.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 12:50:01 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 13, 2009, 06:03:21 PM

The show is quite obviously drawing strong parallels between the liquid terminator and Sarah Connor. They both have a "son" that in their eyes is absolutely vital to the surivival of the human race, and they are both willing to do absolutely anything, up to and including killing anyone in their path, to make sure their destiny comes to pass. I'm surprised I'm the first one to point this out, as I didn't feel it was done very subtly.

I guess I didn't see the parallels because to me Sarah Conner's moments when she doesn't kill stand out a lot more. She refused to kill the hispanic informer and got pissed at Cameron for killing him. She let the kid who was hiding in the bathroom of the bowling alley live, even though he knew where they lived. She was adamant about Cameron NOT killing the bird in the chimney. She didn't even kill the first guy who tied her up, John had to do that. She didn't want Ellison killed, even when Cameron was insisting that she should have killed him previously.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 09:39:33 PM »

This EW column...

Scoop: Fox set to terminate 'Sarah Connor Chronicles'
http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/04/scoop-fox-set-t.html?cnn=yes

made me think, "Scoop? I already knew this from reading the GT forums."  smirk

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 10:29:37 PM »

Unsurprising, but sad anyway. I am now down to watching only one TV show (Lost) with one other on probation (Parks & Recreation).

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 10:57:42 PM »

Ah, poo.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 11:47:16 PM »

so much for their 'new approach' for shows in the Friday night death slots.  I'll be surprised if Dollhouse gets renewed, and this doesn't give me hope it will be.  they also fucked around with Fringe last week, apparently letting the American Idol show run over which screwed up my recording of it as the guide showed it ending at 10.

at this point I'm going to pass on any sci-fi on FOX and just rent the whole seasons from Netflix if the show has more than 1 season.

Because I can,
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 09:39:13 AM »

Ive learned long ago that American Idol cannot be counted upon to only run an hour even if scheduled that way.  I always set my DVR to tape from 9-11 so I dont miss a minute of fringe.   
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 02:53:25 PM »

Quote from: soulbringer on April 15, 2009, 09:39:13 AM

Ive learned long ago that American Idol cannot be counted upon to only run an hour even if scheduled that way.  I always set my DVR to tape from 9-11 so I dont miss a minute of fringe.   

I thought about that, I had to do that with Heroes for awhile.  I was barely into the show anyways, and last weeks scheduling snafu was a sign that it was time to take it off my recording schedule.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 04:11:26 PM »

Quote from: soulbringer on April 15, 2009, 09:39:13 AM

and they did it again last night.  cutting off the last couple of minutes of Fringe on my dvr.   mad

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 04:25:10 AM »

Wired's Save Sarah Connor Chronicles From Termination

I only watched the first two episodes of the first season. Is the general consensus that this series is worth watching? Maybe I can catch up now that BSG is gone.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2009, 12:04:28 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on May 05, 2009, 04:25:10 AM

I only watched the first two episodes of the first season. Is the general consensus that this series is worth watching? Maybe I can catch up now that BSG is gone.

I thought it was a very well-written show once it got past the "time-traveler of the week" phase in the early part of season 1. It's one of the few shows I really enjoyed watching on TV.

It's this sort of thing that makes the Sci-fi channel (Syfy? Blurgh) such a disappointment to me. Shows like TSCC should be able to find a home there, instead of struggling on network TV where all the "joe six-packs" are looking for medical dramas, cop dramas, or Dancing with the American Idols.

Formerly Sith Lord
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2009, 02:47:50 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on May 05, 2009, 04:25:10 AM

Yes, it gets better. The first several episodes tried too hard to please the fisticuffs/explosions/car chase crowd while reconciling with the already-muddy movie canon. They eventually get that out of their system and become comfortable with their own characters, storyline, and voice. A few episodes even show some sophistication and nuance. It was one of only three shows that I watched, and I miss it.

Summer Glau plays the most convincing android character since Brent Spiner. Plus, hubba-hubba.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2009, 03:28:46 PM »

My only problem with the show is that in my opinion it didn't really get interesting until the last half dozen episodes of the last season.  It was like they needed someone to light a fire under their ass to get it going.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2009, 06:51:46 PM »

CNN's Josh Levs weighs in with a great article on why 'Terminator: TSCC' should be saved!
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2009, 07:47:15 PM »

god damnit, i thought this bump would have good news. instead it's no news.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: