http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 04:32:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Terminator stuff that doesn't make sense  (Read 1677 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2009, 07:54:38 PM »

I suppose you could list hundreds of things that make no sense in the Terminator movies. After watching pt 2 and 3 again last night I was wondering...

1. Just do they keep capturing and reprogramming terminators in the future to send back? I mean these are pure killing machines that can kills whole resistance groups before getting taken down. Yet they can somehow grab one intact and reprogram it?

2. Why dont the folks in the future that are so good at the number 1 above just invent a virus and let it kill off Skynet?

3. Nothing inorganic can come through the time portal..unless its wrapped in living tissue...umm ok. The why not shove a plasma rifle up a terminator's ass? Ot hide a pulse pistol in his chest cavity? Better yet just wrap some future weapons in bacon and let the terminator hold onto them? Duuuh.

4. Again with the inorganic stuff. T2 had the T1000 as pure liquid metal. so how did any of him make it through? Same with the T2000 or whatever her model was..she was liquid outside a solid frame. Same deal.

5. And dont even start me on time paradoxes. In T3 he kills Connor and Connor's wife sends the T800 back. Ok so now Connors knows not to trust the T800 in the future. So um then he wouldn't get shot right?

Ok head hurting..peace out smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 12:58:46 AM »

First of all throw out part 3, it is being written off as not being official cannon.

questions 1 and 2 are answered in the TV series. There are several ways to incapacitate the various terminators and reprogram them.

3. I like bacon.

4. I assume they made it through because they took on human forms, and the skin was real enough to pass through.

5. Pay no attention to T3.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 02:12:54 AM »

Since when is T3 not part of official canon?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 02:23:42 AM »

Why if the machines are smart enough to plan all this to do they keep coming back later in time...why not go earlier and kill off Sarah Connors parents?  They will not be alerted to Terminators the way Sarah and John now are.

Given the state of the future under SKynet how does the resistance keep getting weapons and ammo?  How do they get fuel for their vehicles?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 02:53:09 AM »

Ya why hasn't Skynet won? It isn't like humans breed and grow up that fast to join the fight.

Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 03:13:39 AM »

The hardest thing is deciding what I should tell you and what not to. Well, anyway, I've got a while yet before you're old enough to understand the tapes. They're more for me at this point... to help get it all straight. Should I tell you about bacon? That's a tough one. Will it change your decision to send it here... knowing? But if you don't send bacon, you could never be. God, you can go crazy thinking about all this... I suppose I'll tell you... I owe it that. And maybe it'll be enough if you know that in the few hours we had together I ate a lifetime's worth.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 05:08:40 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 18, 2009, 07:54:38 PM

3.The why not shove a plasma rifle up a terminator's ass? Ot hide a pulse pistol in his chest cavity? Better yet just wrap some future weapons in bacon and let the terminator hold onto them? Duuuh.

This is my favorite post of 2009 so far.

Quote from: Scraper on January 19, 2009, 12:58:46 AM

3. I like bacon.

I do too! That settles it, then.

The Terminator is about two things: Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Summer Glau. I live for the episode where they meet. It could happen.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:42:38 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on January 19, 2009, 02:12:54 AM

+1

It's called Terminator 3 and stars Arnold. How can it be anything but "official". And it was a worthy sequel. Not as good as Judgement Day, but still pretty damn entertaining.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 04:48:47 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on January 19, 2009, 04:42:38 PM

+1

It's called Terminator 3 and stars Arnold. How can it be anything but "official". And it was a worthy sequel. Not as good as Judgement Day, but still pretty damn entertaining.

I could be wrong here, but I thought I read that the new Terminator movies in production are working around T3, also there is no denying that the TV show completely disregards T3 (and is superior IMO).

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 05:20:32 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 19, 2009, 04:48:47 PM

Quote from: JayDee on January 19, 2009, 04:42:38 PM

+1

I could be wrong here, but I thought I read that the new Terminator movies in production are working around T3, also there is no denying that the TV show completely disregards T3 (and is superior IMO).

The TV show disregards T3 since it started after T2.

The new Terminator movie is not disregarding T3.  They're in the same storyline.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 05:48:49 PM »

I guess we should have expected diverging time lines given as much as they muck up the streams in this unverse...

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 19, 2009, 05:48:49 PM

I guess we should have expected diverging time lines given as much as they muck up the streams in this unverse...

Don't cross the streams!!!!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 10:05:13 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on January 19, 2009, 02:23:42 AM

Why if the machines are smart enough to plan all this to do they keep coming back later in time...why not go earlier and kill off Sarah Connors parents?  They will not be alerted to Terminators the way Sarah and John now are.

i have wondered about this too, but it makes for better movies.  terminators in 1950 would be so lop sided.  of course, it also seems odd that nobody other than john connor is capable of leading the resistance?!  what if John simply eliminated his rivals through bad tactical choices so he could assume the mantle?  hell, it's not like a bunch of 4 star generals are just going to start listening to some tweak-ed out looking guy just because he says he had a pet terminator as a kid? 

Quote from: Jaddison on January 19, 2009, 02:23:42 AM

Given the state of the future under SKynet how does the resistance keep getting weapons and ammo?  How do they get fuel for their vehicles?

or better yet, why doesn't skynet build front line terminators with built in weaponry so they couldn't be fired by a human?  or build them with some kind of ID checking tag so only a skynet machine could fire the trigger? 

i have taken the storyline for granted that it is designed around making the best scenes for movies, not as a wholly plausible universe strictly beholden to reality.  aka, turn off part of the brain while watching, specifically anything related to time travel.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 10:37:29 PM »

Time paradoxes make my head explode. Bill and Ted had it right. Basically all you need to do is intend that in the future, you will go back in time and do something, and then you will have an effect on the present. All this fighting against Terminators is unnecessary.

(the other thing the makes my head explode is the question "what is the beginning of time? and what was before that?" <pop>)

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 11:07:33 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 19, 2009, 10:37:29 PM

Time paradoxes make my head explode. Bill and Ted had it right. Basically all you need to do is intend that in the future, you will go back in time and do something, and then you will have an effect on the present. All this fighting against Terminators is unnecessary.

(the other thing the makes my head explode is the question "what is the beginning of time? and what was before that?" <pop>)

time doesn't really exist. it's simply a space between 2 events. it's for our small human minds to wrap around something. so basically it was always there, it's infinite. there was never a period where time didn't exist. the second the universe was created time was.

though i could be wrong. it's been a while since i've read up on the theory of time travel. my personal belief is you can't travel to the past, unless the multiple universe is true.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 11:13:25 PM »

IIRC Positrons and the like are actually electrons (or equivalent) traveling backward in time so time travel exists at that level.

I always loved Heinlein having Lazarus Long father himself.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 11:28:29 PM »

My question with time travel becomes one of frame of reference.  The Earth does not sit in the same point in space as it did 3/6/12 months ago.  Does time travel keep you in the gravity well as you travel, or do you get spit out into interplanetary space?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 12:40:11 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 19, 2009, 10:37:29 PM

I also head-assplode about where does the universe end...and if it ends, what's on the other side.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 01:06:09 AM »

The dynamics of recent discoveries about the universe are interesting to say the least.

Instead of the galaxies slowing down to collapse into another big bang it appears they are accelerating apart

At the center of most galaxies there appear to be giant black holes that are expanding.

What you said about the future and location has to be one of the biggest problems with inter-stellar travel beyond small LY distances...how do you know what you think you are traveling to is where you think it is if it is 1000 LY or more distant?  This assumes way faster than light travel is possible.  I guess wormholes would be feasible if such a thing was traverseable since it would be located in some fixed place  in the universe.

Which makes for an interesting point...if you time travel and the earth is in a different place in orbit/rotation where do you land?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 03:13:38 AM »

Within 1 second of sending a cyborg back in time, Skynet has to know it failed so why not send another instantly...or send 10,000. Hell why even bother. Skynet must be winning the war. But how does resistance always get access to a time portal when Skynet does? smile

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 04:02:52 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 20, 2009, 03:13:38 AM

Within 1 second of sending a cyborg back in time, Skynet has to know it failed so why not send another instantly...or send 10,000. Hell why even bother. Skynet must be winning the war. But how does resistance always get access to a time portal when Skynet does? smile

Well because Skynet shouldn't know. If the past is changed it should affect an alternate branching timeline, not the one that the Terminator was sent from. So in fact, sending the Terminator back in time is useless for the Skynet that sent it.  Which means that the whole Terminator series makes no sense at all, unless the Skynet gets some satisfaction in some other Skynet getting to take over the world without as much of a fight.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 04:49:10 AM »

Skynet is stuck in the Matrix, so it is doomed to repeat everything over and over.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 04:50:19 AM »

Quote from: Caine on January 19, 2009, 10:05:13 PM

or better yet, why doesn't skynet build front line terminators with built in weaponry so they couldn't be fired by a human?  or build them with some kind of ID checking tag so only a skynet machine could fire the trigger? 

i have taken the storyline for granted that it is designed around making the best scenes for movies, not as a wholly plausible universe strictly beholden to reality.  aka, turn off part of the brain while watching, specifically anything related to time travel.

By playing wargame against human, Skynet become better Skynet and also have fun in the same time.smile

Playing games against human opponents are more fun than against AIs.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 05:15:37 PM »

Why Terminators always travel through time naked.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 06:41:26 PM »

Don't look to me.  I'm still trying to figure out why the Empire in Star Wars installed safety rails in only about 1 out of 4 bottomless shaft locations.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »

Quote from: Simon on March 09, 2009, 05:15:37 PM

That's frickin' hilarious. (TFH!)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: