http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 09:06:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Temporary Hearling Loss (Concerts)  (Read 1138 times)
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2010, 08:57:44 AM »

So I went to my first concert in years, and had a freaking blast.

Of course, afterwards, I can't hear for shit.  Probably have temporary tinnitus.  I can hear, but everything sounds muffled.  Anyway, I know it's temporary (or presume it is), and won't be going to another concert for a good while.  My question is this:  How long can I expect this to last?
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 02:42:42 PM »

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:12:10 PM by joeyjazz » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 04:01:16 PM »

Never go to a concert without earplugs. I'm amazed they're allowed to pump up the volume as much as they do considering how many people get permanent hearing damage from concerts every year.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 29, 2010, 04:01:16 PM

Never go to a concert without earplugs. I'm amazed they're allowed to pump up the volume as much as they do considering how many people get permanent hearing damage from concerts every year.

WHAT DID YOU SAY?????!!???   icon_wink
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »

Somewhere along the way, I picked up tinnitus as a teenager.  When I went to have my hearing checked, my hearing in the ear with ringing tested better than the one without.  I can even bear that out by testing with my iPod headphones.  Moving the same earpiece from one side to the other sounds louder in the ear with ringing.

Thanks for reminding me.  Now I'm going to spend the whole damn day hearing it.   icon_confused

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 05:38:19 PM »

I got permanent tinnitus at a Clash concert. Your brain eventually learns to ignore the ringing sound.

If your concert was just average loud you'll probably recover. My Clash show was painfully loud. The sound was so bad that after the show we couldn't agree what songs they had played.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 05:44:49 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 29, 2010, 04:39:33 PM

Quote from: TiLT on August 29, 2010, 04:01:16 PM

WHAT DID YOU SAY?????!!???   icon_wink

however, vision loss is caused by something completely different  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 07:08:44 PM »

Yeah, I think I have a mild case of tinnitus, which comes and goes,  and have no clue where I got it. The thing with concerts is that they're often too loud to the point of the sound being distorted or not clear enough to hear the individual instruments.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 07:21:46 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on August 29, 2010, 07:08:44 PM

Yeah, I think I have a mild case of tinnitus, which comes and goes,  and have no clue where I got it.

take your pick.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 07:53:03 PM »

I forget which abomination of music band it was that played their music so loud you couldn't even make out which song, instruments, or words and everything blended together but I do remember having ringing for several days afterwards.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 10:57:16 PM »

i have always had bad hearing,and also get Tinnitus at times,even by turning my head sharply my hearing can 'go off'..and then feel as though they have cotton wool in them

after i went to an Aerosmith Concert in 1995,my hearing was screwed even more for about a week

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 12:56:21 AM »

I think you might have gotten a temporary typling loss, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 01:36:48 PM »

I'm pretty sure my constant rock concert attendance in past years contributed to my poor hearing. On the plus side, I have an excuse why I can't hear the wife.  thumbsup
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 02:01:43 PM »

I've never used earplugs at concerts, and don't have any noticeable hearing loss.  Guess I'm just lucky.  :shrug:

That said, I'm seriously considering using them for the upcoming Slayer/Megadeth/Anthrax show, as I imagine that one might be over the top in terms of sheer volume.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 02:21:42 PM »

I have blast damage tinnitus - it's like the day after a concert all the time.  Do yourself a favor - protect your hearing.  More arguments between my wife and I have begun because I didn't hear something correctly...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 03:26:53 PM »

Please protect your hearing. It's not fun being 56 and saying "Huh?" all the time. It's damned frustrating, to be honest.

Stupid headphones.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »

My hearing is on the decline probably because of concert abuse back in the day. After the last show I saw (Blue Oyster Cult in a bar) my ears and head actually hurt for a couple days..........I have actually not gone to shows because of that memory.
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 09:09:51 PM »

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:11:55 PM by joeyjazz » Logged
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 10:15:03 PM »

The great thing about wearing ear plugs at concerts is you can actually hear the music better when you are wearing them.

Normally for me at a concert without earplugs, I can make out the guitar and drums, but the guitar and vocals turn into a high-pitch screech.  As soon as I put in the ear plugs, every instrument is heard clearly and I can understand the vocals.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 12:58:28 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 30, 2010, 02:01:43 PM

I've never used earplugs at concerts, and don't have any noticeable hearing loss.  Guess I'm just lucky.  :shrug:

That said, I'm seriously considering using them for the upcoming Slayer/Megadeth/Anthrax show, as I imagine that one might be over the top in terms of sheer volume.

same here...just haven't bothered with earplugs so far, and i guess i've been lucky enough to avoid any serious damage.  the problem is that the damage is cumulative though...every little bit adds up over your life.

as for the Slayer/Megadeth/Anthrax concert...i just saw that show with Testament instead of Anthrax, and while it was loud, it wasn't anywhere near the loudest that i've seen.  that honor goes to a Motley Crue show in '97.  they were actually measuring the volume at every show and posting the results on their website to find the loudest city...Indianapolis was 2nd place for the tour at alleged volume of 127dB.  as for your upcoming concert, i thought Megadeth sounded great, but Slayer was just overly loud to the point that it sounded like a muddled mess most of the time.  to be honest, some of the best concerts i've experienced were those that recognized the benefit of sacrificing volume for sound quality.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 02:28:18 AM »

Quote from: disarm on August 31, 2010, 12:58:28 AM

as for your upcoming concert, i thought Megadeth sounded great, but Slayer was just overly loud to the point that it sounded like a muddled mess most of the time.  to be honest, some of the best concerts i've experienced were those that recognized the benefit of sacrificing volume for sound quality.

Must vary by venue then, as someone over on OO who saw the show recently said exactly the opposite (Megadeth=bad, Slayer=Great). 

I''ll certainly agree that loud concerts aren't necessarily the best.  Loudest show I ever saw was White Zombie, and it was nothing more than a giant wall of noise for 90 minutes straight.  Most of the time, you couldn't even tell what song they were playing, it was just...loud.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 02:44:27 AM »

lol, that was me Gratch.   Testament and Megadeth was muffled and sounded like crap.   on the other hand, Slayer was ridiculously loud....but sounded awesome!

if i were to go to another one of these shows, i'd carry some earplugs with me or just buy the ones at the show for a couple bucks....just in case.

as for that show, my hearing was muffled afterwards for a couple hours but then it went back to normal.

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 08:24:54 PM »

I think it's bizarre that everyone at a concert generally accepts that they need to wear earplugs to reduce the volume.  If the band is wearing earplugs, and the fans are wearing earplugs... why not just turn the music down so you can all hear it without them?  saywhat
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 09:16:08 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on August 31, 2010, 08:24:54 PM

I think it's bizarre that everyone at a concert generally accepts that they need to wear earplugs to reduce the volume.  If the band is wearing earplugs, and the fans are wearing earplugs... why not just turn the music down so you can all hear it without them?  saywhat

You can't apply logic or reason to things like this. Nobody involved ever does and talking to them about it draws empty, blank stares.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 09:47:15 PM »

Yeah, exactly. I went to a concert years ago, and I could swear the volume was perfect. Everything was clear and just loud enough and you could hear everything from the breaths they took, to the instruments. In some cases, loud is good, but I feel like the art of good volume is lost. I see different volume levels go with the type of music you're playing, or maybe I'm just crazy in thinking that? Well, with folk music, I expect the instruments and the voices to be tune to the point that it doesn't need to be loud in order to hear everything. Case in point, we have a pretty big music festival every year, and about 2 years ago, I had an opportunity for an amazing experience. I saw some really good music, and the guy (a Quebec musician) was exceptionally good and the way had his volume set up was chilling, in that you could hear the power in his voice, being able to project it without the volume being so high. Same was the case with another musician the same night. In short, the volume level was perfect. Then the headliner that night, the one and only Don McLean, while good, had his sound engineers redo the setup. It was accomodated for a bigger crowd, but what disappointed me was that the sound was way too loud for a folk-rock musician. There has to be a compromise, right? It just seems like they all want it super loud these days no matter what and compromising sound fidelity in the process.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 07:19:14 AM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on August 30, 2010, 10:15:03 PM

The great thing about wearing ear plugs at concerts is you can actually hear the music better when you are wearing them.

That's because the sound engineers mixing the concert are wearing earplugs (well, in-ear monitors), too. icon_wink
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 04:01:02 PM »

Went to the Slayer/Megadeth show last night.  This was the first show I've ever brought earplugs to, mainly because other people had said it was so loud.  I actually ended up taking them out because everything sounded very muffled, and I have no ringing in the ears this morning.  I was actually a little surprised at how quiet it was (for a metal concert, anyways).  The last Nine Inch Nails show I saw was much, much louder.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:02:59 PM by Gratch » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 04:18:22 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 20, 2010, 04:01:02 PM

Went to the Slayer/Megadeth show last night.  This was the first show I've ever brought earplugs to, mainly because other people had said it was so loud.  I actually ended up taking them out because everything sounded very muffled, and I have no ringing in the ears this morning.  I was actually a little surprised at how quiet it was (for a metal concert, anyways).  The last Nine Inch Nails show I saw was much, much louder.

You may have developed natural earplugs.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 04:31:21 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 20, 2010, 04:18:22 PM

Quote from: Gratch on October 20, 2010, 04:01:02 PM

You may have developed natural earplugs.

What?  Speak up, will ya?  slywink

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 06:02:59 PM »

If it's a big concert in a major venue and you're not directly in line of the speakers, you're probably fine without earplugs.  For smaller venues, I always use them.  Just a plain fact that repeated exposure to intense noise like that is going to deteriorate your hearing over the long term.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: