http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 08:31:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tell me about Tivo and Comcast  (Read 233 times)
Hrothgar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« on: October 03, 2011, 04:06:08 AM »

Comcast in Houston is still using the ancient Scientific Atlanta HD DVR boxes that even they deemed incompatible with their network.  They kludged a new software system on there that took away some features but added others.  However, it was buggy as heck.  They're finally rolling out a patch for some of the bugs, but Houston has no idea when that patch will arrive.  They also claim they'll be releasing new hardware  (perhaps Motorola boxes) in the future.  They know that will be sometime after the patch that they don't know when it will arrive.  I'm tired of the bugs.

Otherwise, I'm mostly happy with Comcast.  So how well does Tivo work with Comcast?  Which Tivo should I get?  Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 04:09:02 AM »

TiVo and comcast works great, but you will not be able to use On Demand (no, great loss for me)  If you are going to get a TiVo I suggest get the TiVO Premiere.  Lastly, you will need a cable card from Comcast make certain they order a card that will support dual tuners

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 04:01:36 PM »

Is the difference between the Premiere and Premiere XL worth the increased cost?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 07:11:55 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on October 03, 2011, 04:01:36 PM

Is the difference between the Premiere and Premiere XL worth the increased cost?

Do you have a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound home theater?  If so, then the THX sound is probably worth it, if not, then get yourself an external 1-2 TB drive that's compatible and go with it.  I have Comcast, with 1 XL in the living room (where the surround sound is) and a premier downstairs.  I do love the extra space in the XL though - it's been nice not having to deal with the space issues the Comcast Motorola boxes had.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 08:10:24 PM »

TiVo is amazing. You will wonder how you lived without.
The ONLY problem with TiVo + Comcast is finding someone at Comcast that doesn't have their heads completely up their asses who will help you.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:08:42 PM »

1.  Save a few bucks and buy a referb
2.  Yank out the stock hard drive, put in on the shelf and replace it with at least a terabyte drive, as large as the unit will support.  Don't bother with an external drive.  Upgrading the internal is easy these days and will give you better performance.
3.  As stated, you will need a dual-tuner cable card.  They cost the same as standard cable cards per month and Comcast MUST by LAW provide you with one when you request it.  Their installers should know how to install them by now, they've been on the market long enough.  Some locations even allow for self-installs, it's that easy.

I've mentioned it many times before, we are on our 3rd TiVo and it is the most-used appliance in our house.  I have a standing order to immediately replace it if anything goes wrong with the current unit.  The only reason we ARE on the 3rd TiVo is due to trading up model years for Hi-Def, greater capacity, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: