http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 05:23:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teacher fired for Wizardry. I can't make this up.  (Read 2035 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 07, 2008, 02:20:25 PM »

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=79533

The rumor is that the trial will consist of a duck and some sort of weighing device...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »

My first thought was, "That game was good back in the day, but it's probably not worth getting fired over."

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 02:36:23 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on May 07, 2008, 02:30:02 PM

My first thought was, "That game was good back in the day, but it's probably not worth getting fired over."

mine too.  I was going to post it but I needed to run to the bathroom and my iPhone doesn't always get good reception there.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Remus West
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 02:37:17 PM »

Nobody likes a Harry Potter wnna be. retard
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 02:37:49 PM »

Ye Olde Farte
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 02:39:44 PM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on May 07, 2008, 02:37:49 PM

"It's a fair call."

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 03:07:32 PM »

ah, life in Hogeye!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 03:07:53 PM »

KD, you've gone too far.
Summon the weeeezard!
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 03:12:06 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 07, 2008, 02:20:25 PM

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=79533

The rumor is that the trial will consist of a duck and some sort of weighing device...

Next thing you know, people are going to start demanding your head because you reference dragons in your name!  Tongue
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 03:12:58 PM »

A thread about teachers?  Yeah, I admit I have a habit of showing up in threads about teachers.

It is disappointing in this age that this sort of fear and superstition exists anywhere, let a lone a school.  If my (fictional) kids  were in this district, I'd be planning a move out of it this summer.

And I do believe the teacher here, that the other charges can be tagged on after the fact very easily and without validity.  If a teacher was under performing like they described, that's a poor reflection on the administrators who kept sending him assignments without trying to remedy the points of these all of a sudden "long standing complaints" about his work.   You can't hope that complaints fix anything if you don't bring them to the attention of the person about whom the complaints were made.  Mrs. Jones didn't like your work. I hope you can tell by how I am breathing, because I can't be bothered to tell you.

And even bearing all of that in mind.  He's a substitute.  They can decide to not give him work because his socks don't match or he has brown eyes.  He doesn't have much choice except to seek employment elsewhere, and if that part of Florida has him blacklisted, and not just that district, it is sadly time to move.  I would encourage it, really.   

I know by reading this story, I would want no parts of working in a district like that.  I am tempted to wonder how hard it is for them to find subs after this press, but then I realize that overly-religious kooks can get education degrees and credentials as well.  Hopefully they find each other.

Those poor kids.  How can they learn when the people acting in their interest have such fear?

Done posting
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »

I accuse the accusers of moronacy. (Yes it is a made up word  ninja2)

Just for clarification

Def: Wizardry

Wizardry \Wiz"ard*ry\, n.
   The character or practices of wizards; sorcery; magic. "He
   acquired a reputation bordering on wizardry." --J. A.
   Symonds.
   [1913 Webster]

Def: Moronacy

Moronacy \Mo"ron*acy\, n.
   The character or practices of stupid people; ignorance; lack of logic. "The accusers
   acquired a reputation bordering on moronacy." DamageInc
   [2008 GT Forums]

I call for their termination and they be sent on a rocket to the sun, Andromeda, or what ever as long as it is not on this planet.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Remus West
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 03:45:47 PM »

The year I taught in Florida I was involved (well, my part was very short as I had to bite my tongue) in a discussion during lunch regarding the Harry Potter books.  I was the only one speaking about how silly it would be to ban these books from the school library.  High school library.  I spent the lunch getting more and more sick listening to supposed educators talking about how these books were a bad influence on children.  One of the participants was not a teacher by the end of the year because she could not pass the basic skills exam.  I spent several hours trying to get her to understand the idea of solving linear systems.  Very simple linear systems.  Yet she failed the math section badly all 4 (yes, they allowed her 4 tries!) times she tried the exam.  Fail exam = Fail to get licence to teach.  Fail to get licence = Fail to keep job.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 03:50:04 PM »

Quote from: Remus West on May 07, 2008, 03:45:47 PM

Fail exam = Fail to get licence to teach.  Fail to get licence = Fail to keep job.

How did you do in the English portion?  License

Sorry, I couldn't help myself!  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 03:53:10 PM by rickfc » Logged
Remus West
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 07, 2008, 03:50:04 PM

Quote from: Remus West on May 07, 2008, 03:45:47 PM

Fail exam = Fail to get licence to teach.  Fail to get licence = Fail to keep job.

How did you do in the English portion.  License

Sorry, I couldn't help myself!  Tongue
They grade for grammar not spelling.  You have to be a complete moron to not pass the exam with flying colors.  Plus, you can blame the spell check for that since I used it but did not bother to look at what it changed my spelling to/from.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 03:56:46 PM »

Quote from: Remus West on May 07, 2008, 03:54:00 PM

They grade for grammar not spelling.  You have to be a complete moron to not pass the exam with flying colors.  Plus, you can blame the spell check for that since I used it but did not bother to look at what it changed my spelling to/from.

I kid, I kid.  You know I had to give you a hard time for that.
Remus West
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 04:16:54 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 07, 2008, 03:56:46 PM

Quote from: Remus West on May 07, 2008, 03:54:00 PM

I kid, I kid.  You know I had to give you a hard time for that.
LordMortis was an English teacher.  Go read his posts.  I teach Mathematics which is far superior to English.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 04:19:12 PM »

I enjoyed the video news story and the reporter hanging up the phone as she explained that she spoke to the school board.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 04:27:06 PM »

and here I thought maybe he had turned someone into a newt, and it was simply making a toothpick disappear.  thats not wizardy.....thats sleight of hand.....
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 04:32:31 PM »

I came in expecting the teacher to be fired for:

But for making a toothpick disappear?  Do they also expel students who wiggle their pencils to make them look like rubber?
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 04:46:06 PM »

BTW, I can't find my Wizardry 8. I wish it were abandonware. Or is it??

On topic, I think that teacher could've avoided being fired if he hadn't been waving his wand at every passing female teacher. That's the inside story.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 04:51:50 PM »

This sort of craziness just reinforces my belief that if I ever want a kid, the wife and I will buy one.  One of us will have to stay home and home-school the kid.  For every level headed teacher like the folks that have already chimed in here there are 10 other teachers that haven't a clue what is or is not good for a kid. 

I suspect that some day I'm gonna end up in the paper for the way I conduct my self defense classes, but it damned well better not be for "Wizardry" or some other nonsense.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 07:20:42 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 07, 2008, 04:51:50 PM

I suspect that some day I'm gonna end up in the paper for the way I conduct my self defense classes, but it damned well better not be for "Wizardry" or some other nonsense.

You better hope it is.  Everyone knows a high level wizard is way more powerful than another equaled level warrior.

morlac00 on PSN
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 07:33:47 PM »

FFFPPSTILTOWAIT

It's the only way to be sure.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 07:39:26 PM »

The Mad Overlord will now run amok!

eek eek eek

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 08:20:15 PM »

Quote from: morlac on May 07, 2008, 07:20:42 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 07, 2008, 04:51:50 PM

You better hope it is.  Everyone knows a high level wizard is way more powerful than another equaled level warrior.

But can a high level wizard take out a Monk? I doubt it.

Land 'O Lakes, Florida -- The stories in the news about inappropriate relationships between teachers and students have been overwhelming.  There was even a substitute teacher in New Port Richey who got in trouble after investigators say she had a relationship with an underage student.

I grew up there! What the heck has happened to my home town?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 08:30:24 PM »

Oh those crazy Christians.
Hemlock Bones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 09:14:54 PM »

Quote from: Lee on May 07, 2008, 08:30:24 PM

Oh those crazy Christians.
Assumption!  Witches have never gotten along with wizards.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 09:55:45 PM »

Sometimes as a parent you just have to be prepared to fight back against this kind of nonsense. I had a run in with a vice-principal at my son's school who blamed just about everything bad on video games including all forms of violence amongst youth. She was very instrumental in disallowing the kids from bringing GBA's to school for lunchtime play and even discourage my son's friend from bringing a Pokemon guide to school; I mean WTF? She was tough to deal with because she had the backing of a number of the women on the PTA.

Finally at a PTA meeting I asked her what specific studies she was basing her opinions on and I then preceded to name a number of studies, including the US Surgeon Generals, that countered her claims. She couldn't name a single study she read and her only comment was a condescending thank you for your opinion and information, but it wouldn't change her policies. It was tough to deal with her because the teachers federation in my province more or less holds the same opinion about violence and video games. I didn't give up and I eventually took it up with the school board with the result that eventually her contract wasn't renewed for the district.

Of course some of the women teachers at my son's school that were cronies local reps  for the teachers federation thought that I was a power-tripping chauvinistic pig for doing what I did. As far as I'm concerned if you're an Educator in a position of power and you want to effect others with your personal opinions, you'd better be able to back it up with fact.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 10:03:37 PM by kronovan » Logged
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 10:30:01 PM »

Ever try your hand at career day while possessing an "interesting" job?  I think I became a hero in my son's eyes when I did that, because all his classmates that I was amazingly cool (I'm not, but I can fake it pretty well).  His teacher's viewpoint?  Not so much  icon_lol
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 11:09:43 PM »

The firing is probably just cover for his new job at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Ever try your hand at career day while possessing an "interesting" job?  I think I became a hero in my son's eyes when I did that, because all his classmates that I was amazingly cool (I'm not, but I can fake it pretty well).  His teacher's viewpoint?  Not so much  icon_lol

What was your job?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 02:24:05 PM »

Quote from: Dan_Theman on May 07, 2008, 10:30:01 PM

What is your 'interesting' job?  Other than being "The man"?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2008, 09:28:40 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 07, 2008, 11:09:43 PM

The firing is probably just cover for his new job at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Obviously the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2008, 11:16:40 PM »

If the state of Florida keeps firing teachers for simply doing magic tricks or wearing bikinis then they're going to run out of decent educators real fast.  Especially if prospective teachers avoid Florida like the plague out of worry of being crucified in a witch trial.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 11:29:16 PM »

Regarding the Wizardry Teacher: Expelliamus!

Regarding the Buxom Bikini Teacher: Boobilcious!

(Yes, I'm aware that removing a Muggle's bikini is usually outside the "rules", but what's a wand for, if not to occasionally have some fun?)

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: