http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 03:30:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taxes... Sigh  (Read 797 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2007, 02:49:54 AM »

I finally got around to filing our taxes and we owe $1,100 this year!  Exactly what I had hoped for...

My wife has 4 W2's this year and one of them has $0 Federal Taxes witheld.  Why would that be?  We filled out the W4 the same way.  I mean $0, come on, her employer screwed her over.  That can't be right.  If I take that W2 out, we only owe $600. 

Do I have a case?  If I get a copy of the W4 and it looks like it was done correctly, what should I do?

I'm sure we'll end up having to pay 100%, just wondering since I have never seen $0 witheld.

Chris

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 03:21:22 AM »

I'd think you might have a civil case against the employer if you can demonstrate that (1) they didn't file your taxes as filled out on your W4 and (2) they haven't been giving your wife itemized paycheck stubs that would make such an error easily recognizable and fixable on her end.

As far as payment of the taxes go? The IRS wants their money and will get it from you regardless of who made the mistake.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 03:30:11 AM »

That is pretty much what I thought.  I am going to have my wife get a copy of her W4 tomorrow to make sure.

Speaking of W4.

What is the most appropriate way to fill them out anyway?  I've heard different things and I'm just not positive.

We're married, live in a house and have no dependents (1 on the way though).

Chris

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
Spiff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 04:55:22 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on March 16, 2007, 03:30:11 AM

That is pretty much what I thought.  I am going to have my wife get a copy of her W4 tomorrow to make sure.

Speaking of W4.

What is the most appropriate way to fill them out anyway?  I've heard different things and I'm just not positive.

We're married, live in a house and have no dependents (1 on the way though).

Chris

Eco,

If you can swing it. I'd suggest having your wife (assuming you are the main wage earner) do the following: Fill out the W4 with 0 exemptions, and have them withhold at Married, but withhold at the single rate. My guess is you'll end up at about "even" at the end of the year. Your wife will basically be taxed as a single taxpayer with no dependents. The tax rate will be higher, but if you don't want to come up with money at the end of the year, it's a pretty painless solution.

As far as the zero fed tax withholding, there isn't much she can do. She can complain to her employer, but they'll probably apologize. The only good thing is (and I know it still sucks) is that they paid her the taxes and didn't screw the IRS out of them. Also, be sure she gets itemized paycheck stubs so that you can be sure they're doing what she has asked. Another thing is that she can change her withholdings at any time during the year if you need to make adjustments to her withholdings.

"I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles"
DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 10:12:15 PM »

Check her pay stubs to make sure they weren't withholding on the paychecks. If everything adds up then Big Brother his money before he comes looking for you. I doubt that you can do much to the company about it though.

docD
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 02:23:33 AM »

Good info you all.  I will have my wife get a copy of her W4 and her latest pay stub and we will do a full fledged review.  I appreciate the help.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 01:22:15 AM »

This happened to me last year and this one.  My wife works less than 32hr/week and it seems both the Feds and State (California) do not take out full taxes for part time work.  At least that is what it appears to be, her W4 claims married with one deduction and they are taking a total of $7 every two weeks for federal taxes!  Yikes no wonder I almost get divorced every year when I use TurboTax online and watch the real time refund calculator in the corner go from me getting $2000 back based on my W2, to owing $1000 after inputting my wife's data.  I need to find a way to fix this.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 01:33:00 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on March 18, 2007, 01:22:15 AM

Yikes no wonder I almost get divorced every year when I use TurboTax online and watch the real time refund calculator in the corner go from me getting $2000 back based on my W2, to owing $1000 after inputting my wife's data.  I need to find a way to fix this.

I know exactly what you mean.  The same thing has happened to me every year since I have been married (although this is the first year we've had to pay).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: