http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 09:57:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tax Software  (Read 957 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »

Hey all, I'm thinking about using a tax software this year to do my taxes and was looking for anyone's recommendations or comments on their experience using them.  Any input is appreciated.  Thank you.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 04:30:55 PM »

For the past 7 or 8 years now I have used Turbo Tax.  I can't say my taxes are super complex, I am married, have two kids and a mortgage.  Don't tend to have a ton of deductions.  Turbo Tax has always been very easy to use and I can get my taxes done relatively quickly.  If you are a Costco member there is a coupon for Turbo Tax for the next two weeks I believe.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 04:32:06 PM »

I've used I-Can E-File the last two years without any problems.. free and easy to use. Does all the numbers automatically for you but it is browser-based versus downloadable software.

http://www.icanefile.org/

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 04:34:10 PM »

Turbo Tax online... used it for 10 years or something like that.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 04:37:35 PM »

I've gone with TaxAct online for the last five or six years.  No complaints, and it's usually under $20 for both state and federal efiling.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 04:39:09 PM »

Yeah, I have used OLT.com for the past 4 or 5 years, which also is under $20. However, my taxes have not been that complicated. This year I'm going to have to fill out an actual 1040 instead of a 1040A, so we'll see how it goes.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 04:40:03 PM »

This is a modified blog post from a couple of years ago:

I use TaxAct.com , as they allow you to file for free in many cases.  

The two best-known online tax preparation packages are H&R Block’s TaxCut and Intuit’s TurboTax.  Unless your tax return is a very simple one (only a W-2, for example), you have to pay for their upgraded services in order to file. But the good news is that you can go through the entire process first for free, regardless of the complexity of your return.  You don’t pay until you file.

There is a third online filing service, TaxACT.  And they let you file for free  – sounds pretty good, right?  It is.

So why bother even bringing up TaxCut and TurboTax?  Because the ability to doublecheck your work is always a good thing, especially when money or a potential IRS audit is on the line.

For example, last year I was working on my tax return with TaxCut.  As I approached the final stages, TaxCut said I owed much more than I anticipated.  So I went to the TurboTax website, entered all my information there, and realized that I had neglected to enter my state sales tax deductions – while the option was there in TaxCut, it wasn’t as obvious as it was in TurboTax.

I eventually found the appropriate section in TaxCut, adjusted my numbers and all was well. Being able to doublecheck my work saved me several hundred dollars.

This year I went through the entire process with both TaxCut and TurboTax’s web-based programs, checking my work with each program, then did my actual filing with TaxACT.  So I was able to have another set of eyes look over my return, if you will, and it didn’t cost me a cent to file.

Pretty good deal, if you ask me.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 04:52:40 PM »

TurboTax Online for me. Can't wait to file this year...full year of employment, no back taxes to pay, second kid with accompanying medical bills, big education expenses = massive refund.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 05:31:22 PM »

Another vote for TurboTax here.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 05:49:25 PM »

I have to look to be sure, but I'm almost 100% positive that I used free TurboTax online last year.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 05:53:58 PM »

so what's different between turbo tax online and the retail box version?  Are you just paying up front?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 06:11:24 PM »

Turbo tax for me as well.  I have a rental property so I need the premiere version to max out the deductions.  I went with a standard tax program a few years back and found out I lost a large amount of money due to deductions it didnt include.

The thing about tax software is it really depends on your needs.  Still among the ones Ive used, Ive found Turbo Tax to be the most intuitive, gave me the best return and is very easy to use.  Tax Cut was the one I used previously and I regret the purchase.  Saved a few dollars up front but lost hundreds on the return.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 06:13:41 PM »

Quote from: naednek on January 11, 2011, 05:53:58 PM

so what's different between turbo tax online and the retail box version?  Are you just paying up front?

I used the free online version.  The box version you pay for.  H&R also does a free online version.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 07:32:30 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on January 11, 2011, 06:13:41 PM

I used the free online version.  The box version you pay for.  H&R also does a free online version.

So if you e-filed using turbo tax online, they don't charge?  That doesn't seem right, or make sense.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 08:08:13 PM »

Quote from: naednek on January 11, 2011, 07:32:30 PM

So if you e-filed using turbo tax online, they don't charge?  That doesn't seem right, or make sense.

Most places that are "free" either mean that it's free to use the software but you pay $8 or so to actually file (sometimes Federal is free and they charge for state).

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 08:13:18 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 11, 2011, 08:08:13 PM

Most places that are "free" either mean that it's free to use the software but you pay $8 or so to actually file (sometimes Federal is free and they charge for state).

This.  It's free to file federal, and since there's no state tax in Texas, it's totally free for me.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 12:24:19 AM »

[sarcasm]
Do you really have to go around the globe to use Turbo Tax?  Why the heck do they need a GPS system to tell you how to use it?
[/sarcasm]

Ad writers should actually think about what they put in their advertisements, because Turbo Tax is a fine program, but every time I see that ad, smartass mode kicks in and I think that line above.
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 12:42:11 AM »

Another Turbo Tax online vote.  Married, 2 kids, mortgage, & some stock sales. 

I tried both Tax Act and Turbo Tax last year to see the difference.  I'd used Turbo Tax for the previous 6 years, so that might have influenced my results.  I found Turbo Tax was much better at hand holding and making sure I entered everything correctly.  YMMV.

Before that I had always just done it by hand.  Really, if it was just married I'd probably still do it that way.  Basic returns are pretty easy if you don't mind reading directions.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 08:36:54 PM »

I used TurboTax and H&R Block Online back when I did my taxes myself.  Both seemed to get the job done fine.

I do have to say though, if your taxes are any sort of complicated, I strongly recommend going with a CPA.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 02:05:17 AM »

Quote from: gellar on January 12, 2011, 08:36:54 PM

I used TurboTax and H&R Block Online back when I did my taxes myself.  Both seemed to get the job done fine.

I do have to say though, if your taxes are any sort of complicated, I strongly recommend going with a CPA.

Why do you have a star by your name?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 02:06:06 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 13, 2011, 02:05:17 AM

cause he's special.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 03:08:27 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 13, 2011, 02:06:06 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 13, 2011, 02:05:17 AM

cause he's special.

EXTRA. SPECIAL.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 08:48:58 PM »

I have been using www.freetaxusa.com for years.

It is free (10 bucks for state) 

I just log in each year, change the little numbers around from my w2, and hit enter.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 01:49:43 AM »

It's true, but it's for 1040EZ (and "simple") returns only.  Feds only (fee for State).

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 01:53:01 AM »

FWIW, Amazon has the Business version of Turbo Tax for $94 right now.  I think I had to pay at least $99 last year, if not $129 (which is retail right now), so I'm going to hop on this quick.  But for Turbo Tax Premier, it's cheaper to get from Turbo Tax right now ($49), vs Amazon (cheapest is $63, retail is $75).

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 04:11:47 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 11, 2011, 04:30:55 PM

For the past 7 or 8 years now I have used Turbo Tax.  I can't say my taxes are super complex, I am married, have two kids and a mortgage.  Don't tend to have a ton of deductions.  Turbo Tax has always been very easy to use and I can get my taxes done relatively quickly.  If you are a Costco member there is a coupon for Turbo Tax for the next two weeks I believe.

This.  Typically only takes me a couple hours to get everything done.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 05:57:03 AM »

Don't forget that if you itemize deductions or have a 'complex' tax return, the IRS won't accept your filing until mid to late February.  Linky.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: