http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 11:10:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Target Employees Protesting Thanksgiving Hours  (Read 1878 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2011, 06:36:34 PM »

Jeebus!  This secret Issie Signal Watch he gave me a while ago really works!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2011, 06:57:31 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 15, 2011, 06:33:14 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 15, 2011, 05:42:41 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 15, 2011, 04:47:50 PM

Tough titty!!

Seriously, they work retail. What do they expect?

Again, they exected what they had experienced during previous years and got considerably worse instead.

More importantly, exactly where did the phrase "tough titty" come from?  It's not like a 2 month old was nursing, noticed his mother's breasts were particularly tough to gain purchase and then cried out, "These are some tough titties!"

It's just driving me nuts (another phrase I'll probably be asking about later).  Issie, you out there?  Help me out here.

It came from the same place 'Fuck me running' came from.  nod
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2011, 06:59:37 PM »

I have never heard that in my life.  How is that even physically possible without some form of harness?

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2011, 07:43:21 PM »

Sounds like a challenge to me.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 07:55:36 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 15, 2011, 07:43:21 PM

Sounds like a challenge to me.

Listen, I like you Chaz.  But I don't like you in THAT way.  We really need to establish some boundaries here.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »

Quote from: ericb on November 14, 2011, 09:40:19 PM

Sorry, but it's flat out wrong.  Screw the world of retail noise and other bullshit...there are certain days that a department store should be closed.  Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day are two of them.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is part of the problem.  Choosing to work on one of those days is just that...a choice and should not be mandatory.  I personally refuse to shop anywhere on either day regardless of the sale or awesome amazing once a year prices.  What the hell happened to companies even having a shred of common decency.

yup, as someone who worked at mcdonald's and walmart through HS and college this is 100% true.

These people aren't below you. They are human beings with families. I'm sure they have relatives travel in as well. Hell, I don't even work retail and my company is a 24 hour 365 day operation(even tho no banks are open, bah).

Shit man, black friday isn't even the busiest shopping day, xmas eve is. There is no reason other than corporate greed. Good on these guys for finally taking a stand. Retail treats you like crap, pays like shit and has next to no benefits. Fuck. I had to EARN vacation at walmart and got nothing at mcdonald's even has a shift manager.

You guys should be saying boo-fucking-hoo to the store, not the employees for wanting to be treated like humans.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »

Actually, I'm pretty sure the Saturday and Sunday before Xmas are the busiest shopping days.  Xmas Eve was usually pretty sedate after an initial morning rush.  By the afternoon, the majority of the shopping was done, and people had started traveling.  Xmas Eve was actually one of my favorite days of the year to work.  I'd wear a Santa hat, and people were usually thrilled to have someone helping them.  It was a good time.

Now, the day after Xmas was truly the definition of suck.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2011, 08:40:39 PM »

Dramatically increasing the intrusion of work hours into the Thanksgiving holiday is a dick move, and these retail stores deserve to be called out on it. These workers understood that being in retail meant working on holidays, but the hours required this year are unreasonable. That doesn't make them whiners. One is not a "whiner" if they don't just silently accept every punishment their employer dishes out.

Stores should be closed on Thanksgiving. I do not participate in the jack assery of Black Friday, and have contempt for those who do.

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2011, 08:48:17 PM »

My wife works for Costco, and they actually treat their employees great.  She makes really good money, the benefits are fantastic, they close for the holidays, and they don't even have a black friday. The closest they come to acknowledging black friday is that they have special coupons that last for 3 days during that weekend and the deals are nothing super special. She said it's always busy as hell that weekend, but people aren't being trampled to death, and she still works the same type of hours she always does.

The entire "you work in retail so suck it up" attitude is bullshit.  Stores can treat their employees with respect and still make plenty of money.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2011, 09:05:51 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on November 15, 2011, 06:24:17 PM

Quote from: naednek on November 15, 2011, 12:08:56 AM

I don't think it's all of retails fault.  Back in the day doors would open at 6am.  But people camped out overnight anyways.  The powers that be takes notice and thinks why should we make them camp out when they could inside our stores buying our products. 

I believe it's a response to what shoppers were doing.

Stores wouldn't do it if they couldn't make money from it, so the stores are just responding to demand.

Ya I believe we just said the same thing...
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2011, 09:07:16 PM »

I always wonder if stores actually make any more money by opening at midnight or whatever ungodly hour they do.  Sure, it's a spectacle that always makes the evening news (and why the hell is this? it's a yearly event), but I bet those same people would show up if you opened at 7am with those same sales.  In fact, you might even get more customers because you'll get the non-crazies who refuse to show up at midnight.

Really, it's because there was an arms race of stores trying to beat each other to the punch on opening times.  It'd be nice if they all just collectively stepped back and said "Wait, what the hell are we doing here?"  

Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2011, 12:18:03 AM »

Quote from: naednek on November 15, 2011, 09:05:51 PM

Quote from: Scuzz on November 15, 2011, 06:24:17 PM

Quote from: naednek on November 15, 2011, 12:08:56 AM

I don't think it's all of retails fault.  Back in the day doors would open at 6am.  But people camped out overnight anyways.  The powers that be takes notice and thinks why should we make them camp out when they could inside our stores buying our products. 

I believe it's a response to what shoppers were doing.

Stores wouldn't do it if they couldn't make money from it, so the stores are just responding to demand.

Ya I believe we just said the same thing...

well then you are one smart guy..... icon_biggrin
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2011, 02:04:15 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on November 15, 2011, 04:46:05 AM

That weekend is probably the worst part of working retail.  And its all the fault of customers, who clearly don't give a shit about making retail workers work holidays if it makes the sales more convenient for them.

Exactly. Black Friday and all the bullshit that is involved in it can go rot in hell. It's an absolute nightmare for everyone on all sides, and frankly needs to be given up on. Of course, we all know that'll never happen.

Quote from: Chaz on November 15, 2011, 09:07:16 PM

Really, it's because there was an arms race of stores trying to beat each other to the punch on opening times.  It'd be nice if they all just collectively stepped back and said "Wait, what the hell are we doing here?" 

Intelligence in retail? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2011, 03:47:39 AM »

More importantly, exactly where did the phrase "tough titty" come from?  It's not like a 2 month old was nursing, noticed his mother's breasts were particularly tough to gain purchase and then cried out, "These are some tough titties!"

It's just driving me nuts (another phrase I'll probably be asking about later).  Issie, you out there?  Help me out here.

Lest you think I forgot about you...

I find two different origins, both seen at multiple sources, but neither with what I would call from any bulletproof sources.

The first would be from the use of hard, stale biscuits soaked in milk as a nursing aid to keep the baby quiet/sated, not unlike a sugar tit.

The other origin was that poor families, attempting to purchase some meat for the stew pot, would go looking for the cheapest part available from the butcher.  In this case, the sources seemed to specify pork mammaries as filling the bill, which were, of course, not exactly the juiciest of parts.

Take your pick.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2011, 04:54:05 AM »

As an update on this?

The guy that made the petition....wasn't even scheduled to work that night.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2011, 02:49:57 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 18, 2011, 03:47:39 AM

Lest you think I forgot about you...

I find two different origins, both seen at multiple sources, but neither with what I would call from any bulletproof sources.

The first would be from the use of hard, stale biscuits soaked in milk as a nursing aid to keep the baby quiet/sated, not unlike a sugar tit.

The other origin was that poor families, attempting to purchase some meat for the stew pot, would go looking for the cheapest part available from the butcher.  In this case, the sources seemed to specify pork mammaries as filling the bill, which were, of course, not exactly the juiciest of parts.

Take your pick.

...waiting on the closer!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2011, 02:51:35 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 18, 2011, 04:54:05 AM

As an update on this?

The guy that made the petition....wasn't even scheduled to work that night.

That makes him more of a hero, IMO.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »

...Bam?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 18, 2011, 03:24:34 PM

...Bam?

Is that for me or is it the closer?

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2011, 03:52:05 PM »

I believe it's supposed to be the closer.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2011, 05:08:14 PM »

Yes indeedy, that's the closer I like my Issie info posts to end with.  I'm a simple man, with simple desires.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »

I work in a call center for the first time in my life. I'm exempt corporate staff so I don't get battered around like the people on the phones.

The treatment is terrible. They can be told to work 15 hours of mandatory OT per week at the drop of a hat. If they don't show, they get written up.

This mentality that people should be treated like this is mind boggling to me. But a lot of the posts in this thread seem to support and even encourage that behavior. Wonder if these are the same people who cheered when they were asked the question about that  hypothetical guy with no insurance dying.

If the economy were better I bet our attrition would be 95%, but I guess they don't have to work here if they don't like it.   Roll Eyes
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2011, 07:28:32 PM »

I spent 11 years in Call Centers.  One was unionized and there were still times scheduled as mandatory overtime. 

Turnover at my first call center was 75% within the first 90 days of employment.  It was 300% per year.  We paid a little better than minimum wage, no union.  The second was for Cingular.  Pay was much better ($9/hour minimum in 2004), the center was unionized, and turnover was 50%/year.

Oh, and as a manager, I got to work that mandatory OT as well. And I didn't get overtime.  So there were times that my reps made more per check than I did.   retard

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2011, 01:32:55 AM »

Exhausted Employee Drives into a Canal After Her Shift

Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2011, 04:25:55 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 29, 2011, 01:32:55 AM

Sorry but I am calling bulls@#$ on this one.

If she was so "tired" then she should have gotten a ride or called a cab to go home.  If she is that tired then driving in that condition is just as bad as drunk driving and she should be arrested and charged.  What if she had wiped out a family due to falling asleep at the wheel.

And no it is not Target's fault.  People need to be responsible for themselves.  It is not always someone else's fault.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: