http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 01:11:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Target Employees Protesting Thanksgiving Hours  (Read 1891 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2011, 09:15:26 PM »

Anthony Hardwick says he resents working at Target Corp. (TGT) on Thanksgiving and has garnered more than 37,000 signatures on an online protest petition.

Target, Macy’s Inc. (M), Gap Inc. (GPS), Kohl’s Corp. (KSS), Toys “R” Us Inc. and Best Buy Co. all plan to open at midnight or earlier on Thanksgiving in an attempt to goose sales that the National Retail Federation says may rise just 2.8 percent this holiday season, or about half as much as last year.

Hardwick, 29, who says he has been a Target parking attendant in Omaha, Nebraska, for three years, began the petition two weeks ago on the website Change.org after learning that he and his coworkers would be required to start at 11 p.m. Nov. 24 for a 10-hour shift.

“I was so disappointed the day I found out about this because I did the math in my head and I was going to have to go to bed in the early afternoon on Thanksgiving to go in and work 10 hours,” Hardwick said in a telephone interview.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-14/target-employees-protesting-thanksgiving-hours.html

Cry me a river! I can't remember the last time I got a holiday off unless it fell on what of my scheduled days off. There have been plenty of times where I find out 30 minutes before shift change they don't have enough officers to cover the next shift and I'm hit with another 8 hours of mandatory over-time. It sucks, but it's the job.. I just tough it up and do it just like this whiner should.
Target isn't forcing anyone to work there, they didn't come knocking on his door begging him to come to work for them, he chose that job and he knows that being in that kind of business you may have to work all kinds of hours.. if you don't like it, then take off. With how bad unemployment is right now, there's plenty of people who would be more than happy to cover the hours he's crying about having to work.

This story just reminded me of the pre-911 days when they had private security doing the air ports and a few of them said they didn't do their jobs to the full extent because the pay was so poor.
Did their employer not tell them what the pay was before they signed up? Yeah I'm sure the pay was bad, but again, nobody is being forced to work for it.. if you don't like the pay then leave. If you stay, then do your job.

Even my first job at McDonalds I was making minimum wage and even back then I worked the best I could, giving 110% to it and working all kinds of hours.. so hearing stories like this of how you "have" to pull a 10 hour shift on a holiday tends to strike a nerve.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:20:29 PM »

I honestly don't blame them, especially since customers are actually annoyed at Wal-Mart for pulling this. Granted, it's your choice to go to black friday sales, but if that's your thing, they are now asking people to leave their family early so they can go line up, and I at least get the point.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 09:24:21 PM »

Yeah, it's kind of douche move by the retailers.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 09:27:55 PM »

Black Friday hours have approached a new level of ridiculousness.  And shopper insanity obviously gets passed on to retail employees, extending their own hours beyond what should normally be required of an employee.  However, as my mother-in-law worked most of her career in retail, she always said that if you don't want to work holidays or ridiculous hours, then stay out of retail.  Granted, it's a bit crass to say such a thing, but with retail positions come extensive holiday hours.  That relationship is a given and has always been a given.  But, those extensive hours have progressed beyond what most would consider to be reasonable. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 09:28:33 PM »

Welcome to the world of retail.

As an ex-target employee myself, you can leave whenever you want, for whatever reason you choose. If you decide to stay with the optional employment, then do your job. Too many millions of americans looking for work for people to be complaining about working a 10 hour shift on thanksgiving..

And the reason places like Target and Walmart do these are for consumers like you and I. If it wasn't in such high demand, there'd be no need for extra hours on the holidays.
Since it is.. and Target is a for-profit company who needs to stay in business, it all comes down to the bottom line of making money. If employees don't want to work, then don't.. it's that simple.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:37:04 PM »

I'm surprised they didn't just try to get some of the normal overnight stocking crew to work those shifts.  Several years ago I worked the 10pm to 6am shift at Target, unloading trucks and stocking shelves just because it paid $2/hr more and I had college bills to pay.

While I can understand the "be happy for the job you have" and "give it your all" sentiments, it does annoy me that retail stores have pushed the whole Black Friday thing earlier and earlier every year to the point where it is now.  And those companies have to realize that it has a negative effect on their employees for relatively small benefit on their end.  Yes, they will probably get time and a half for that day, but screwing up your holiday and sleep schedule is worth something as well. 

If only consumers would start valuing their own time and realize it's not really worth the hours of lost sleep and pushing and shoving to save $10 on a fucking fad gadget.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 09:40:19 PM »

Sorry, but it's flat out wrong.  Screw the world of retail noise and other bullshit...there are certain days that a department store should be closed.  Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day are two of them.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is part of the problem.  Choosing to work on one of those days is just that...a choice and should not be mandatory.  I personally refuse to shop anywhere on either day regardless of the sale or awesome amazing once a year prices.  What the hell happened to companies even having a shred of common decency.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 09:57:25 PM »

<hepcat continues to stoke the flames of righteous indignation so that when the sale time comes, he'll be the only one in line>

Yeah, that's just flat out wrong!

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 10:35:10 PM »

Quote from: ericb on November 14, 2011, 09:40:19 PM

Sorry, but it's flat out wrong.  Screw the world of retail noise and other bullshit...there are certain days that a department store should be closed.  Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day are two of them.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is part of the problem.  Choosing to work on one of those days is just that...a choice and should not be mandatory.  I personally refuse to shop anywhere on either day regardless of the sale or awesome amazing once a year prices.  What the hell happened to companies even having a shred of common decency.

I worked at a movie theater all through high school and always worked on the holidays.  It was actually fun those days because we would pot luck it and have a great time.  No one seemed to bitch about it either.  There were people I worked with that would take those days off but since I am a picky eater, Thanksgiving sucks for me anyway.  Working xmas eve meant I didn't have to go to church that night.

No one has to work the holidays.  If you don't like your job because they want you to work the holiday then quit.  That is what makes this a great country...
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 10:53:53 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 14, 2011, 09:37:04 PM

If only consumers would start valuing their own time and realize it's not really worth the hours of lost sleep and pushing and shoving to save $10 on a fucking fad gadget.

This. I even hate shopping on weekday afternoons in the middle of the summer, when there's no competition at all. I can't imagine joining a shopping mob. Fortunately the internet makes it entirely optional. There is a link in my sig for those to whom this is news.  icon_wink

Quote from: ericb on November 14, 2011, 09:40:19 PM

Pretty sure almost all stores are closed on those two days by law in MA (gas stations and convenience stores excepted). There was a kerfuffle here a few years ago when some grocery stores wanted exemptions...they were shot down by the majority who are content to have the day off, and would have felt compelled to open if their competitors were open.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 10:58:43 PM »

I'm sorry, this reeks of bullshit.

No one forces you to work at a particular place.  No one forces you to stay employed.  No one is forcing you to actually show up that day, if you're willing to accept the consequences of your actions. 

I worked at a shit job (Wal-Mart) for 5 years, and hated it, and finally got the hell out.  Could I have gotten out earlier?  Maybe.  Do I blame Wal-Mart for making me work holidays, extra hours, low pay, et al?   Well, I blame them /as a company/ for their corporate culture of low wages, minimal benefits, and the idea that the employees are nothing more than swappable pieces worth very little individually.  Do I blame them for /my/ working there?  Nope. 

BTw, I'm in a much better job now, and ... guess what?  I'm working Thanksgiving.  And Christmas (most years, but not this year due to it being on a Sunday and my schedule being currently M-F).   And every other holiday.

Am I complaining because 'oh my god I can't be with family'?  No.  I'm enjoying the (very much) extra money I'll be making, and we're having Thanksgiving on /the weekend/. 

That's really 37,000 people that need to seriously take a look at their lives and decide if they want to be working at the particular place they are now, or if they'd rather join the 9+ percent who are unemployed, or the far greater percent who are underemployed. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 11:00:30 PM »

If you dont want to work crazy holiday hours don't get a job at somewhere that is known for crazy holiday hours 

Personally,  every year I am thankful for Amazon so I don't have to deal with the great unwashed masses. no need to slim it with the common folk when I can just click and spend.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 11:42:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 14, 2011, 11:00:30 PM

If you dont want to work crazy holiday hours don't get a job at somewhere that is known for crazy holiday hours 

A couple folks have said this but hears the rub....  This is a brand new policy so for all their employees this is unexpected.  There are crazy holiday hours and then there is working from 10 pm Thanksgiving night until 8 am the next morning.  That is bat shit insane.   You are asking your employees who work normal hours (non overnight) to do this which will pretty much ruin them for a few days as the body cannot adjust to that on a short scale.  Enjoy the loss of productivity over the Weekend Retailers!  Someone else mentioned they will get time and a half.  Not likely as it is either against their policy or not applicable to part time employees which they will use to avoid this.

morlac00 on PSN
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 12:08:56 AM »

I don't think it's all of retails fault.  Back in the day doors would open at 6am.  But people camped out overnight anyways.  The powers that be takes notice and thinks why should we make them camp out when they could inside our stores buying our products. 

I believe it's a response to what shoppers were doing.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 12:11:52 AM »

I don't work retail, but I often have to work maintenance windows which are overnight and unexpected.  I'm on salary, so I don't even have a chance of getting paid extra for the time or anything.  I just consider it part of the job and I've often worked two days with ony a couple hours of sleep in between.  It is what it is and I guess if they don't like it, they should probably find another job.

Separate from all that, though, this whole Black Friday thing has gotten beyond stupid.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 12:17:56 AM »

Quote from: morlac on November 14, 2011, 11:42:14 PM

A couple folks have said this but hears the rub....  This is a brand new policy so for all their employees this is unexpected.  There are crazy holiday hours and then there is working from 10 pm Thanksgiving night until 8 am the next morning.  That is bat shit insane.   You are asking your employees who work normal hours (non overnight) to do this which will pretty much ruin them for a few days as the body cannot adjust to that on a short scale.  Enjoy the loss of productivity over the Weekend Retailers!  Someone else mentioned they will get time and a half.  Not likely as it is either against their policy or not applicable to part time employees which they will use to avoid this.

Morlac:

If you work retail, having unexpected changes to your work hours is part of the deal.  When I worked at Wal-Mart, I often didn't know what my schedule was more than 7-10 days in advance, if that.  Yes, it's scummy of Target to do this.  Again, the choices are simple:  1)  Work the hours (which most of the 37k people are going to do, and we all know it), 2) don't work the hours and accept the consequences of that and 3) quit your job, and accept the consequences of that.

No one's forcing these people to work at Target.  No one is forcing these people to do anything.  They signed a voluntary agreement to work for Target, and these hour changes are part of it, unless they can prove that Target has legal documentation saying that they cannot change hours without more than X # of days notice (and protip:  They can't). 

Hell, my own job required us to work mandatory overtime with about 3 days notice a few weeks back.  It's part of working in the service sector, though.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 12:54:55 AM »

Yeah, the economy is in such great shape that finding another job should be a breeze.  I'm sure that the retail moguls haven't thought about that at all.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 01:02:50 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 15, 2011, 12:17:56 AM

Quote from: morlac on November 14, 2011, 11:42:14 PM

A couple folks have said this but hears the rub....  This is a brand new policy so for all their employees this is unexpected.  There are crazy holiday hours and then there is working from 10 pm Thanksgiving night until 8 am the next morning.  That is bat shit insane.   You are asking your employees who work normal hours (non overnight) to do this which will pretty much ruin them for a few days as the body cannot adjust to that on a short scale.  Enjoy the loss of productivity over the Weekend Retailers!  Someone else mentioned they will get time and a half.  Not likely as it is either against their policy or not applicable to part time employees which they will use to avoid this.

Morlac:

If you work retail, having unexpected changes to your work hours is part of the deal.  When I worked at Wal-Mart, I often didn't know what my schedule was more than 7-10 days in advance, if that.  Yes, it's scummy of Target to do this.  Again, the choices are simple:  1)  Work the hours (which most of the 37k people are going to do, and we all know it), 2) don't work the hours and accept the consequences of that and 3) quit your job, and accept the consequences of that.

No one's forcing these people to work at Target.  No one is forcing these people to do anything.  They signed a voluntary agreement to work for Target, and these hour changes are part of it, unless they can prove that Target has legal documentation saying that they cannot change hours without more than X # of days notice (and protip:  They can't).  

Hell, my own job required us to work mandatory overtime with about 3 days notice a few weeks back.  It's part of working in the service sector, though.
You are correct but you are missing my point.  Unexpected changes are part of the deal but they always fall under normal working hours.  This does not and it is a brand new, once a year policy.  I would guess that they did not tell this to anyone they recently hired so it is being sprung on their employees at the last second and I highly doubt it is voluntary which is lame.  

morlac00 on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 01:04:26 AM »

It's a job. Sometimes it ain't fun.

Sure, they might be taking advantage, but you can leave.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 01:12:41 AM »

Quote from: Devil on November 15, 2011, 01:04:26 AM

No they really can't because this economy sucks and they have mouths to feed.  I am pretty confident they would not pull this shit if the job market was in better shape.  Hiring new employees is expensive.  It takes time and money to find and train them.  Use to be companies would do their best to keep employees happy so as to retain the good ones.  I have seen this shitty treatment of employees get worse and worse over the last few years and quit a job recently because of this kind of crap.  I think some of these companies will be in for a rude awakeneing when the economy comes back and they are suddenly left with no good employees.

That being said, naednek is right and it is not entirely the fault of the retailers, they obviously think they can make money.  I just think it is an incredibly short sighted policy.  Taht and people are nucking futs this time of year.

morlac00 on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 01:16:54 AM »

Quote from: morlac on November 15, 2011, 01:12:41 AM

Quote from: Devil on November 15, 2011, 01:04:26 AM

No they really can't because this economy sucks and they have mouths to feed.  I am pretty confident they would not pull this shit if the job market was in better shape.  Hiring new employees is expensive.  It takes time and money to find and train them.  Use to be companies would do their best to keep employees happy so as to retain the good ones.  I have seen this shitty treatment of employees get worse and worse over the last few years and quit a job recently because of this kind of crap.  I think some of these companies will be in for a rude awakeneing when the economy comes back and they are suddenly left with no good employees.

That being said, naednek is right and it is not entirely the fault of the retailers, they obviously think they can make money.  I just think it is an incredibly short sighted policy.  Taht and people are nucking futs this time of year.

Hey, you said the same thing I did.  Nicer.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 01:29:54 AM »

Yes, morlac, I agree.

Target, and everyone else, is taking a risk that their unhappy employees wont leave as soon as they get the chance. Could be short sighted or could be worth it.

Time will tell.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 01:38:29 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 15, 2011, 01:16:54 AM

Hey, you said the same thing I did.  Nicer.

Don't get use to it smile

morlac00 on PSN
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 01:39:44 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 14, 2011, 10:58:43 PM

No one forces you to work at a particular place.  No one forces you to stay employed.  No one is forcing you to actually show up that day, if you're willing to accept the consequences of your actions. 

I worked at a shit job (Wal-Mart) for 5 years, and hated it, and finally got the hell out.  Could I have gotten out earlier?  Maybe.  Do I blame Wal-Mart for making me work holidays, extra hours, low pay, et al?   Well, I blame them /as a company/ for their corporate culture of low wages, minimal benefits, and the idea that the employees are nothing more than swappable pieces worth very little individually.  Do I blame them for /my/ working there?  Nope. 

BTw, I'm in a much better job now, and ... guess what?  I'm working Thanksgiving.  And Christmas (most years, but not this year due to it being on a Sunday and my schedule being currently M-F).   And every other holiday.

Am I complaining because 'oh my god I can't be with family'?  No.  I'm enjoying the (very much) extra money I'll be making, and we're having Thanksgiving on /the weekend/. 

That's really 37,000 people that need to seriously take a look at their lives and decide if they want to be working at the particular place they are now, or if they'd rather join the 9+ percent who are unemployed, or the far greater percent who are underemployed. 

no one is forcing you to keep breathing, yet...
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 01:49:54 AM »

No sympathy at all.  Good thing they don't work at a hospital as we never close

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 01:58:55 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 15, 2011, 01:39:44 AM

Quote from: Zarkon on November 14, 2011, 10:58:43 PM

no one is forcing you to keep breathing, yet...

Yet.. if you don't, CeeKay might have to come and give you mouth to mouth to keep you alive.

Not a good analogy though as you don't have a choice on breathing. (Seriously try and hold your breath for as long as you can. Your body will give in and you'll breath.)

If you don't like working 10 hours on Thanksgiving, then don't. There are plenty of good people out there who would be thrilled to work thanksgiving to provide for their families too. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the better of yourself and your company.
I know I'll get stuck on Thanksgiving at work for a 16 hour shift. It's part of the job. It sucks, but I live with it as it's what puts food on the table.
At the same time I know it's my choice to work it.. and as I work 2 jobs, 7 days a week, with mandatory over-time all while I put myself through school, it's hard to have sympathy for people whining about working some extra hours on a holiday.
I'm not complaining though, I work so much to get myself ahead in life because nobody else will do it for me. Just like my job didn't come knocking on my door begging me to come work for them, neither did Target to any of these people. They chose their work and are free to leave at any time.

In the retail business especially, with the rise of Amazon and other online retailers, stores like Target have to compete to stay alive and if they can bring in some extra cash flow from opening early, then that's what they need to stay in business. It's what their employees agreed to when signing on.. and if they don't like it, they can look for work elsewhere. They'll have a whole year between this Thanksgiving and next one to look for a different job that doesn't make them pull a whole 10 hour shift on a holiday once a year.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 02:25:38 AM »

I'm just going to throw out a few things.

1) Not everyone, especially in rural areas, who's working there would be able to find another job.  As in, there simply may not be anyplace else to work.  My mother lives in a poor area of upstate NY, and has been looking for work for about a year and a half.  There simply are not any jobs to be had.  Saying "If you don't like it, quit" rings hollow, when the only thing standing between a lot of people and poverty is a crummy job.

2) Saying "tough, deal with it" is how workers get taken advantage of.  If employers are given a pass on making unreasonable demands of their employees, then they'll continue to do so. 

I think asking day shift employees to work an overnight on a holiday is fairly unreasonable.  Yes, plenty of jobs ask more extreme hours of employees, and I've worked both retail and in the games industry, so I've done it too, but the difference is that with those jobs, you anticipate these kinds of things, and there are systems in place to compensate employees when they occur.  I don't think it's at all unreasonable for these employees to protest.  As has been said, of course most will work the hours, but I'd rather they speak out than just silently take it.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 02:49:11 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on November 15, 2011, 01:58:55 AM

I work 2 jobs, 7 days a week, with mandatory over-time all while I put myself through school.

eek

How long do you plan on keeping that up? 

morlac00 on PSN
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 03:14:03 AM »

Quote from: morlac on November 15, 2011, 02:49:11 AM

I work 2 jobs, 7 days a week, with mandatory over-time all while I put myself through school.

eek

Aiming for another year or so. I still get a decent amount of free time though as my second job and school are only part-time. I've been trying to work my way up to Lieutenant or Captain but they only have an opening once a year or so (when someone gets fired) so that's what prompted me to start going to school for business programming as a back-up plan in case I can't move up to a shift supervisor position.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 03:23:40 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on November 15, 2011, 03:14:03 AM

Quote from: morlac on November 15, 2011, 02:49:11 AM

eek

Aiming for another year or so. I still get a decent amount of free time though as my second job and school are only part-time. I've been trying to work my way up to Lieutenant or Captain but they only have an opening once a year or so (when someone gets fired) so that's what prompted me to start going to school for business programming as a back-up plan in case I can't move up to a shift supervisor position.

So your saying you need some help getting someone fired?   ninja

Seriously though, good luck to you.  You will have earned it.

morlac00 on PSN
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 04:46:05 AM »

I've been working part-time for Walmart for a few years now.  The first year I was there was the first year that store had been open on Thanksgiving at all, and they were pretty nice about it.  The hours were 7-5 that day and they basically asked people to volunteer.  Since I had just started and had no plans anyway, I worked that day.  The store opened at 5AM the next day for the big sales.

But that year a part-time employee was killed at a Walmart in New York state when the crowd rushed the doors at 5AM.  You may remember it, it got a lot of coverage since there was footage of people continuing to shop and come in and out while people tried to help him.  After that Walmart hired some company to advise them on how to avoid that in the future and the recommendation was to end the "one big sale at one specific time" approach. 

Ever since the Walmart I'm at (normally not a 24 hour store) does not close on Thanksgiving night at all and just stays open.  So people line up in the store.  And they stagger the sales and post the times in their flyers so people who want some TV aren't rushing the store at the same time as some other big item.  This year the first sale starts at 10pm Thanksgiving night.  I work 3pm to midnight on Thanksgiving day. 

The only good thing is that by having all the big sales staggered over the night, the next day is actually pretty quiet now other then dealing with the one thing about "Black Friday" I've never understood - it's absolutely crazy how many people line up for those overnight and big sales and end up returning stuff the same day.  It usually takes us a couple of days in my department alone to work through all the returns, and that always included high demand items that we could sell if we could get them back onto the shelf.

That weekend is probably the worst part of working retail.  And its all the fault of customers, who clearly don't give a shit about making retail workers work holidays if it makes the sales more convenient for them.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 02:30:19 PM »

When I worked at a grocery store in my younger days, we had to work crazy hours around Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Just comes with the territory. 

At least most of the retail army gets paid for their extra hours... when I'm asked to work through the weekend on top of my regular schedule, I don't get squat, other than the benefit of continued employment.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 02:53:21 PM »

It seems these employees expected crazy hours around the holidays and then got screwed with hours completely beyond what they were expecting, and at the last minute.

Like you, I'm sure all of them were expecting to get overworked this holiday and had managed expectations entirely and then got hammered with something unreasonable that the company knew thay'd bend over and take,

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, 04:41:34 PM »

Boston Globe ran a comprehensive story today that confirms what I posted earlier: It's illegal for stores to open on Thanksgiving or Christmas in MA, and has been since the 17th century. Blue laws FTW!

Some chains that had promoted midnight sales are amending their early-bird hours to comply with the state’s 17th-century blue laws. The rules prohibit retail employees from working until the clock strikes 12 a.m. after Thanksgiving - leaving no time for staff to prepare for midnight openings.

In recent days, Walmart, Target, and Macy’s have all retreated from previously announced midnight promotions at their Massachusetts locations. Macy’s now plans a 12:30 a.m. opening on Black Friday, Target is scheduling a 1 a.m. start, and Walmart has pushed its kickoff to 4 a.m.

Massachusetts is one of few states that restrict most shops from doing business on the holiday. In recent years, various retailers, including Whole Foods, CompUSA, and Super 88, have tried to challenge the state’s rigid blue laws. The laws, penned by the Puritans during the 1600s, were created to prevent Colonists from straying from church to drink or conduct business on the Sabbath. They include many regulations that are rarely enforced, such as a ban on dancing on Sundays.

The most stringent provisions were focused on protecting Sundays, but even those limitations have been weakened. Over the past three decades, the Legislature has permitted shops to open on Veterans Day and Columbus Day and allowed package stores to sell alcohol on Sundays. The blue laws do not apply to businesses such as pharmacies and food stores with fewer than three employees working at a given time.

The biggest opposition to changing the blue laws has involved protecting employees from feeling pressured to work on holidays. Workers in other states are also resisting retailers’ increasing intrusion into Thanksgiving.

Of course, nothing prohibits them from requiring workers to report at 12:01 am on Black Friday, so the overall suckitude isn't diminished by much.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »

Tough titty!!

Seriously, they work retail. What do they expect?
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »

I am popping my retail holiday Black Friday cherry this year. I work for the Microsoft Store at an upscale mall around here and we will be open at midnight on Black Friday. I'm scheduled for 7am to 4pm, which is doable, I believe. Good luck for me to find parking, though. Will have to research bus pass or get a ride or something.

From what my coworkers have told me, it will be INSANE. Part of me is looking forward to it, though. I will report back if I survive...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 15, 2011, 04:47:50 PM

Tough titty!!

Again, they exected what they had experienced during previous years and got considerably worse instead.

Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 06:24:17 PM »

Quote from: naednek on November 15, 2011, 12:08:56 AM

I don't think it's all of retails fault.  Back in the day doors would open at 6am.  But people camped out overnight anyways.  The powers that be takes notice and thinks why should we make them camp out when they could inside our stores buying our products. 

I believe it's a response to what shoppers were doing.

Stores wouldn't do it if they couldn't make money from it, so the stores are just responding to demand.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 06:33:14 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 15, 2011, 05:42:41 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 15, 2011, 04:47:50 PM

Tough titty!!

Again, they exected what they had experienced during previous years and got considerably worse instead.

More importantly, exactly where did the phrase "tough titty" come from?  It's not like a 2 month old was nursing, noticed his mother's breasts were particularly tough to gain purchase and then cried out, "These are some tough titties!"

It's just driving me nuts (another phrase I'll probably be asking about later).  Issie, you out there?  Help me out here.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2011, 06:34:23 PM »

ninja Not during work hours.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: