http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:10:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk me out of getting a Zune?  (Read 2737 times)
Roman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2008, 01:14:13 PM »

Hi all,
I have a 1st gen Nano with horrid battery life (-5hrs).
I am giving thought to the Zune right now - the 8gb model - no need for the 80gb model. I have a PSP for watching movies already.
I like the FM radio option as well.
I have a bberry already as well for email etc etc  - so no need for an iPhone and or iPod Touch.

Anything that I should be made aware of before jumping in with both feet?
I know that whatever I bought via iTunes will not work on the Zune - anything else?

Also what accessories should I look into?

Thanks in advance,
Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 01:19:48 PM »

I have the 30 GB Zune. My biggest complaint is the way you have to sync the files from your computer to the Zune via the Zune software. There is no drag and drop functionality. This can make updating a bit of a pain. Otherwise I am happy with the player itself.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 01:21:19 PM »

Talk about a name out of the past.  Holy cow. Hi Roman! <waves>
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 01:23:01 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 16, 2008, 01:21:19 PM

Talk about a name out of the past.  Holy cow. Hi Roman! <waves>

tear I have been over at (well used to be  icon_wink) OO for the past few years since the split.
Looks like I will be making this my new home.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 01:28:19 PM »

Music sucks. There, did I talk you out of it?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 01:29:54 PM »

You want to get a Creative Zen instead. All Flash based storage (instead of HD based if you get that model of Zune), painfully simple file transfer (yes, you should use their software, as it'll auto-generate playlists for you, but it's not required), a great sound chip, and a very usable UI. Oh, and it's quite cheap, too.

Buy that instead. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 01:30:48 PM »

I can't talk you out of it, because I absolutely LOVE my Zune (I have the 80Gb).

While the Zune software is not perfect, I vastly prefer it over the bloated mess that is iTunes.

As far as accessories go, if you do a lot of traveling in the car, the official (Microsoft) FM transmitter is awesome. It's pricey, but it's by far the best FM modulator I've ever owned for any MP3 player (and I've gone through two iPods and a Zen).

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 02:05:16 PM »

They could eventually go away?  I've never used one before, but I have loved every iPod I have ever used and have no need to move to anything else.  What I typed is of concern to me, though, should Microsoft decide to bail out on the product.  No chance in hell of Apple doing it, with the success they have had.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 02:14:09 PM »

I honestly doubt that Microsoft would bail on the Zune.  It's their only real foothold in the lucrative mp3 market and I think we all know that Microsoft would chew its own arm off before giving up on a chance to make some cash.   icon_wink

I love my Zune.  It's a 1st gen and I got it cheap but it's been a real tank.  It's been dropped, left in a hot car all day and used on many bike rides and it's held up just fine.  The only real complaints I have are the aforementioned annoying software used for transferring files to it (although nothing will ever be worse than itunes, imho) and some bad firmware updates that caused the thing to just plummet in battery life.  They fixed the latter problem in a later firmware update, though.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 02:37:18 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 02:31:34 PM »

it all depends on whose tit you want to suck from.  MS's tit gives bitter beer, like Natural Light, but Steve Jobs gives sweet vanilla flavored goodness, like ambrosia.

You might want to look around and see if there's any news of an updated Zune coming out soon.  IIRC it's been awhile since they updated the hardware.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 02:35:04 PM »

but Steve Jobs gives sweet vanilla flavored goodness, like ambrosia.

It just comes in a mug that weighs 40 pounds, and must be purchased with a side salad and appetizer even if you don't want them.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 02:37:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2008, 02:31:34 PM

it all depends on whose tit you want to suck from.  MS's tit gives bitter beer, like Natural Light, but Steve Jobs gives sweet vanilla flavored goodness, like ambrosia.

You might want to look around and see if there's any news of an updated Zune coming out soon.  IIRC it's been awhile since they updated the hardware.

the 80 gig came out not that long ago (last summer, if i'm not mistaken) so i doubt we'll see an updated zune anytime soon.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 02:45:43 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 16, 2008, 02:35:04 PM

It just comes in a mug that weighs 40 pounds, and must be purchased with a side salad and appetizer even if you don't want them. Thank you sir, may I have another?

Fixed

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 02:49:51 PM »

It just comes in a mug that weighs 40 pounds, and must be purchased with a side salad and appetizer even if you don't want them.

I honestly have no issues with iTunes, although maybe because I use it on my MacBook.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 02:55:21 PM »

(Yellowking and PR_GMR stand against a white background)

Yellowking: Hi! I'm a Zune.

PR_GMR: Hi! I'm an Ipod.

(Roman walks into the shot)

Roman: I'm not sure which one of you to buy.

Yellowking: Buy me. I've FM radio!

PR_GMR: ... So you can listen to that Nickelback song a thousand times a day on your local corporate radio station.

PR_GMR: I'm easy to use. I fit in your back pocket. I can be easily synced using Itunes on a Mac or a PC. I come on a regular or a nano size. I can play video--

Yellowking: So can I!

PR_GMR: I can play video from the tends of thousands of selections easily purchaseable thru Itunes. There are also thousands of podcasts. Your favorite songs can be had just for one buck each.

Yellowking: I can do all that!

PR_GMR: We are so charming... even Radiohead finally agreed to have all their music available thru ITunes.

Yellowking: I got Radio--Oh wait, I don't.

PR_GMR: I can be easily put into any music dock, and provide life to any house party. If I go on the road, I can be easily plug into any USB equipped car stereo. I can even store your favorite family pics.

Yellowking: (getting visibly upset) Well, I can do all that. And it doesn't matter.. Because I hate you. Hate for you drives the very core of my CPU. The only reason I exist is to spite you. Steve Jobs is the spawn of Satan! Hear me roar!!

(Yellowking drops to the floor, ranting and raving, foaming at the mouth)

PR_GMR: I can easily go jogging with you. Just put in a pair of earbuds, and is your sweet, sweet favorite music as you get fit.

(PR_GMR shrugs, puts on his earbuds, clicks on his Ipod and runs off-stage)

(meant only in jest to YK  Tongue )

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 03:00:24 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 16, 2008, 02:49:51 PM

I honestly have no issues with iTunes, although maybe because I use it on my MacBook.

I've only had one issue where it started renaming my songs from the way I had them as 'Band Name/Song title' to just 'Song title', but I stopped it from doing that.  The funny thing is that I eventually started liking having only the song title listed as with the band name alot of times the whole song name wouldn't appear.  It doesn't cause me any trouble on finding songs at all, especially with the iPhone displaying the album covers like it does when you turn it sideways.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 03:01:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2008, 02:31:34 PM

The new models (8 and 80 Gig) came out last November.  

I have an older 30 GB model and I love the hardware and interface.  One of my friends who has only had iPods played with it for a while and said that he liked the interface better than his iPod, too, for what it's worth.  

The PC software kind of sucks since they took some of the functionality out of it in the November re-release, but they've added a few things back in to the new version and made it suck a bit less.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 03:03:34 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 16, 2008, 02:55:21 PM

PR_GMR: We are so charming... even Radiohead finally agreed to have all their music available thru ITunes.

wait doesn't YK give them-

oh wait, nevermind.

Tongue

and it was last November for the latest Zune update.  it seems so long ago.

Because I can,
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 03:12:57 PM »

I have and love a Zune.
However, there are a lot of issues. The thing restarts at random, sometimes during the middle of a podcast which means you have to manually find your place again. The Zune software likes to randomly rename your music, and never gets it right when it does. I'm still trying to figure out which songs are which on a few albums I have on there. As always, MS's tech support is completely useless, and really a waste of time.

PSN ID: EduardoX
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 03:15:29 PM »

Yellowking: I got Radio--Oh wait, I don't.

Err, actually I do. I just did a search on Zune's marketplace and found all of Radiohead's albums.

But then again, blatantly lying in commercials is what Apple does best, so the ad works anyway.  icon_biggrin

The Zune software likes to randomly rename your music, and never gets it right when it does.

Get yourself a good MP3Tag editor like MP3Tag. I rename all my stuff before it goes on the Zune and have never had any trouble with the Zune renaming anything. MP3Tag does a good job of cleaning out all the metatag garbage that can cause weird results in the Zune software.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:18:45 PM by YellowKing » Logged
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 03:50:08 PM »

The monthly Zune Pass subscription works out well for me - 15 bucks, all the music you can download, etc.  I typically buy a couple CDs a month, so it certainly "saves" me money in that respect.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 03:59:19 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 16, 2008, 02:49:51 PM

Same.  Though I do think iTunes for Windows is generally not very good.

Quote from: Brendan on June 16, 2008, 03:50:08 PM

The monthly Zune Pass subscription works out well for me - 15 bucks, all the music you can download, etc.  I typically buy a couple CDs a month, so it certainly "saves" me money in that respect.

This is the ONE feature I really would love.  However, since a) MS does not see fit to allow the Zune to be compatible with OS X and b) as PR_GMR mentioned, I have a fuckton of devices that use a native Apple dock, it's just not an option.

gellar
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 04:41:50 PM »

I have the 80gig Zune and it has worked great so far. The new Zune software finally gets a lot of functionality that iTunes has. Autoplaylists and so forth. The wireless sync is great just set and it and it will sync all of your podcasts and so forth in the morning without having to hook it up. Just takes a bit longer for big files. The software still doesn't let you redo ID3 tags that well, about my only complaint. Battery life is really good, did a flight to Europe and it lasted me all the way there with being on pretty much constantly. The touchpad on the new ones is really easy to use the interface is good, I only get a little issue when trying to press down on the button and it thinks it's up or down instead of enter. And if you plan to use the radio for NPR or something that is always a plus.

Really it just comes down to personal preference, if you want the wireless syncing, and the extra little quirks the Zune has then go with that. There docks coming out for it but it's not as widely used as the iPod. You have to hunt down for the RSS feed link to get most major podcasts but after you find it, syncing and getting podcasts is pretty easy. You get the 15 dollar a month plan which I hear is good, along with TV shows and so forth starting to come out now for it. Also the Zune does have almost gapless playback now with the last update. It's not quite perfect but I think it's better than the iPod.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 05:15:22 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on June 16, 2008, 01:19:48 PM

I have the 30 GB Zune. My biggest complaint is the way you have to sync the files from your computer to the Zune via the Zune software. There is no drag and drop functionality. This can make updating a bit of a pain. Otherwise I am happy with the player itself.

You can drag and drop in the zune software... just like with ipod, but better since you can do it on multiple computers.

If you mean in windows... yeah, neither will.  Though you can hack the zune to work this way.

I've been enjoying my zune more since the new software came out.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 06:14:54 PM »

You people are asses. Now I want a Zune.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 06:15:11 PM »

having used both - i would recommend the Creative Labs Zen.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 09:56:35 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on June 16, 2008, 06:15:11 PM

Yep.  The fall Zune software was an improvement but the Zen is just a lot nicer/easier/more full-featured.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 10:19:19 PM »

You can't drag and drop from windows to the device.  But.  You can drag and drop from Windows to the Zune Software itself, and then let it auto-sync everything you drag and dropped.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 11:00:04 PM »

My wife and I just traded mp3 players. I had a Samsung Z5 4gb and she had a Creative Zen V Plus 4gb. I liked the Z5 but it sounded better in my wife's car with in-line FM modulation. I didn't care for the Zen too much, but it sounded good in my car so I figured, why not?

Well, in transferring tunes last night, the Zen just stopped working. Can't turn it on. Can't reset it. It's just a little black brick right now. They say that if I leave it plugged in overnight, etc, it should be ok.

Haven't checked it today, but when I did check woot, it must've been density. They're selling a refurbed 4gb Sansa E260 for $39 + shipping. With a little Rockbox install, it'll play my beloved .ogg files. For $39, I figured, why not?

g/l on your search.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 11:01:13 PM »

Quote from: warning on June 16, 2008, 09:56:35 PM

Quote from: hitbyambulance on June 16, 2008, 06:15:11 PM

Yep.  The fall Zune software was an improvement but the Zen is just a lot nicer/easier/more full-featured.

New software came out in the last month that addresses the tagging issues and adds some more browsing options...
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 11:02:28 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on June 16, 2008, 10:19:19 PM

You can't drag and drop from windows to the device.  But.  You can drag and drop from Windows to the Zune Software itself, and then let it auto-sync everything you drag and dropped.

Yeah, that's what I said above.  Do any of the big players allow windows drag/drop by default?

Also, as mentioned, I know people have done some sort of hack that allows you do use windows to drag/drop w/ the Zune.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 11:08:58 PM »

I have a Zune 30, and I couldn't be happier.  That being said, my wife has an iPod 5.5, and up until last week, I hated it (mostly because of iTunes on PC).  Then, one of my coworkers introduced me to Rockbox, and that is one hell of a sexy piece of software.  It makes your iPod an external HDD that plays almost every single format under the sun.  I really hope they port this over to the Zune.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 12:43:18 AM »

Quote from: kratz on June 16, 2008, 11:02:28 PM

Quote from: Zarkon on June 16, 2008, 10:19:19 PM

Yeah, that's what I said above.  Do any of the big players allow windows drag/drop by default?

Also, as mentioned, I know people have done some sort of hack that allows you do use windows to drag/drop w/ the Zune.

Quite a few allow you to change the USB mode in the settings menu.  They'll offer MTP which is what the Zune does and usually also USB mass-storage mode which basically changes your mp3 player into an external USB drive as far as Windows is concerned.  I know the Sandisk, Creative and Cowon players all offer this.  But not the Zune.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 03:58:33 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on June 16, 2008, 11:08:58 PM

I have a Zune 30, and I couldn't be happier.

Are there any other differences between the 30 GB and 80 GB versions other than the storage capacity and price?

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 04:01:35 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on June 17, 2008, 03:58:33 PM

Quote from: rickfc on June 16, 2008, 11:08:58 PM

I have a Zune 30, and I couldn't be happier.

Are there any other differences between the 30 GB and 80 GB versions other than the storage capacity and price?

correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the 80gb version is smaller.  however, you can probably get a 30gb version dirt cheap if you look around online.

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 04:09:02 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 17, 2008, 04:01:35 PM

Quote from: fyedaddy on June 17, 2008, 03:58:33 PM

correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the 80gb version is smaller.  however, you can probably get a 30gb version dirt cheap if you look around online.

I'm really interested in the two right now but can't decide. I don't think I'll need more than the 30 GB but the 80 GB is just that much better of a value for the cost.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 04:17:34 PM »

The 30GB is the Zune 1.0 or some crap, and the 80GB is the 2.0... or some crap... the first model, and the newer model.

The 30GBs (which can at times be found for dirt cheap) will upgrade to the 2.x software, so you get the same features.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 03:45:36 AM »

The newer Zunes (8 and 80GB) also have the touch-sensitive front control-pad thingy, so you can swipe-scroll similar to how you would on an iPhone without smudging your screen.  Or you can tap it like the original ones, which works great as far as I'm concerned.  And as mentioned above it is also smaller with a slightly larger screen.

Having said that, the fact that the 30GB has the new firmware means that you're not really losing functionality going that (cheaper) route.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »

The Zune's officially dead, while MS puts all its Might behind Windows Phone:
http://www.zune.net/en-US/support/zuneplayers/supportzuneplayers.htm

Although it lives on as a cheap joke in sitcoms and movies. I forget what I was watching the other night, but there was a line where a guy checked something on his Zune, and the other guy said, increduously, "You bought a... ZUNE?"  icon_smile

MS was apparently still selling Zunes through something called the Zune Originals web site until recently.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:41:36 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 12:50:19 PM »

It is how Ashton Kutcher's character in Two and a Half Men got to be worth 1.5 billion dollars - he wrote software which MS bought for the Zune.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: