http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 11:43:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tales from the Crypt  (Read 797 times)
DarkEL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2008, 06:38:12 PM »

Something about me has always caused me to really love the paranormal short story shows (i.e. Tales from the Crypt, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, etc, etc) but there just doesn't seem to be any on TV lately.

Well a couple of weeks ago my wife upgraded our satellite package to the "all channels" package and I was browsing through the online guide today - I noticed a new channel I've never heard of named Chillers and it looks like it shows several episodes of Tales from the Crypt and tales from the darkside daily.

Woot!  Here's hoping that they're not better in my memory than they are in reality.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 11:04:51 PM »

They've just started a new anthology called "Fear Itself" Thursdays on NBC (10pm EST). Two episodes so far. I haven't been overly impressed with it yet, but it's a horror anthology on primetime network TV so I've been supporting it.

As a horror fan I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to have the Chiller network, but stupid Time Warner doesn't offer it.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 12:05:03 AM »

Been watching the Chiller network for the last several hours while working on some side-projects.

Saw the first three Friday the 13th movies and two episodes of Tales from the Crypt so far today.  icon_biggrin

Enjoyable to have a channel like this -- but unfortunately that enjoyment is interrupted by commercials (cheap lame infomercial type of stuff) and I'm not sure but the content seems to be somewhat edited for cable TV crybaby

chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 04:55:34 AM »

Curses... we don't appear to have it.

(Though I still have the first three seasons of Tales from the Crypt taped on VHS... used to play them at my Halloween Parties)

Spawn of OO Collective
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 08:29:34 PM »

After watching a weeks worth of Tales from the Crypt episodes - i'm pretty impressed with how well they've stood up to the test of time. I was fearful that they were much better in my memory (like Robotech was). 

A bit predictable of course, you can usually tell exactly how the episode will end within the first five minutes but overall - they're enjoyable.

Also impressed with how many big-name actors are in the series. Heck the episode I watched last night featured Treat Williams, and Sugar Ray Leonard but more interestingly was directed and had a couple small cameos by Tom Hanks.
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 02:30:34 PM »

Love Tales From the Crypt!  Heh, it's always been good cheesy fun.  smile

You should check out the Masters of Horror series stuff - some really good stuff.  Some of them are really shocking and scary too.   

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 14, 2008, 11:04:51 PM

They've just started a new anthology called "Fear Itself" Thursdays on NBC (10pm EST). Two episodes so far. I haven't been overly impressed with it yet, but it's a horror anthology on primetime network TV so I've been supporting it.

We've been reviewing the 'Feat Itself' episodes every week at Horror-101. So far, they've been pretty good. Thursdays at 10pm. Check it out, folks.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 03:05:59 PM »

I just caught the movie Demon Knight over the weekend.  not too shabby for a b-movie.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 23, 2008, 03:05:59 PM

I just caught the movie Demon Knight over the weekend.  not too shabby for a b-movie.

"That's me flippin' you off!"

I love CCH Pounder.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 02:42:23 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 23, 2008, 03:03:00 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on June 14, 2008, 11:04:51 PM

We've been reviewing the 'Feat Itself' episodes every week at Horror-101. So far, they've been pretty good. Thursdays at 10pm. Check it out, folks.

you guys liked 'em?  I've been disappointed, actually.  Maybe that's due to the involvement of the Masters of Mediocrity (sorry, Masters of Horror) makers, though.  i just feel like we've seen all these stories done to death.  What they need to do (in my opinion) is grab some classic short stories from talented genre writers like Bloch and Matheson that haven't made it to the screen.  The material they're working with now just strikes me as tired.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »

I somewhat agree with Hepcat, though the most recent one was decidedly better than the first two. Perhaps it was the actors involved, but I found myself caring/enjoying it more. Though it, too, was a story we've seen before from the likes of Tales from the Dark Side, Twilight Zone, Tales from the Crypt, etc.

Being a fan of Psych, I was a bit, well... psyched... to see James Roday and Maggie Lawson in the teaser for this week's episode. They tend to have great chemistry.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: