http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 01:02:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Take this job and shove it  (Read 1360 times)
Qbe
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2007, 02:29:32 PM »

[Job-related rant ahead]

So I quit my job today.

The managers are largely incompetent jerks.  They've complained that I am not getting a particular project done quickly enough; then when I focused solely on that, they've complained that I haven't gotten enough other things done.  Finally last Wednesday the VP ambushed me by IM and said, among other things, "broaden your focus or seek employment elsewhere."  He was trying to bully me into quitting, I guess.  Imposing the requirement that I send him hour-by-hour status was the tipoff.

Well, if I didn't already have a much better job offer, I would've been worried.  Instead, his tirade made me decide to give them no notice of my leaving.  But I compromised.  Last night I sent them my resignation email, informing them that today is my last day.

Said VP replied and said that I wasn't very professional, giving them so little notice then said, and I quote, "What would Jesus have done?"  WTF????  This is an "IT" "company".  Either the guy's mocking me, knowing that I was in the clergy years ago, or else he's serious.  Either option is disturbing.  But typical of this place.

The president's reaction was more ominous; he sent an IM to others suggesting that I have a contract which requires me to give more notice.  When I was a contractor at this place, my employment contract said that I was supposed to give 28 days notice.   But in December I became an employee: my signed and witnessed employment agreement indicates no such thing.  He's probably trying to be his usual jerk self to try to make me worry.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.  This is the worst job I've had in 20 years.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 02:45:53 PM »

You don't have anything to worry about. Screw em hard.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 02:55:08 PM »

Here in Canada, employers aren't allowed to say stuff like "broaden your focus or seek employment elsewhere." or WWJD in a private sector place of employment.  You would have grounds to quit based on the hostile work environment.
I'd be spending the better part of today collecting all my chat logs / emails etc and archiving them to a USB drive or something.

I'd cover your ass on this; they may try to withhold payment.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 02:56:42 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 02:56:41 PM »

"What would Jesus do?" Yeah, that's called mockery.

One of the benefits of a free market economy - there is ALWAYS another job out there. Except in Detroit. icon_wink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 03:09:16 PM »

Surprising that they would try to keep you around when they know you want to quit.  You could certainly do more harm than good even without trying, especially if you are customer facing at all.

We walk people out and tell them not to report back for work in any way and continue to pay them until the last day.  If it is some one leaving on their own amicably they stay until their last day.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 03:14:46 PM »

Fortunately (or so I thought) this is a telecommuting company, so all emails are on my Gmail account and I've archived all relevant IM exchanges to my own drive, along with the employee handbook webpages.  I've never been to the home office, and never will.  When I log out, I'm gone.

Yep, I'm concerned that they might try to screw me out of my last week's pay.  My brother-in-law is a lawyer.  I have his number.  But in any case, the signing bonus at my new job would more than offset the loss of wages.

Hostile workplace.  You could say so.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 03:28:52 PM »

Quote from: Qbe on May 15, 2007, 02:29:32 PM

The president's reaction was more ominous; he sent an IM to others suggesting that I have a contract which requires me to give more notice.  When I was a contractor at this place, my employment contract said that I was supposed to give 28 days notice.   But in December I became an employee: my signed and witnessed employment agreement indicates no such thing.  He's probably trying to be his usual jerk self to try to make me worry.

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't know that you're an actual employee now, especially if it's a big company.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 03:33:20 PM »

Well.... I guess this frees up your time for Children of Mana I sent to you   slywink

Seriously, that sucks.  Hard.  Good riddance!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 03:33:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 15, 2007, 03:28:52 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't know that you're an actual employee now, especially if it's a big company.

Heh, the company is a dozen or so, but it wouldn't surprise me either if he didn't know  icon_wink

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 08:00:52 PM »

You should have responded to the WWJD comment with "he'd sue your ass for religious harassment!"   icon_biggrin

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 08:10:17 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 15, 2007, 08:00:52 PM

You should have responded to the WWJD comment with "he'd sue your ass for religious harassment!"   icon_biggrin

Within an hour I'd thought up at least a dozen zinger replies to his WWJD comment...but I haven't sent him any reply at all.  That comment is one of the aces up my sleeve in case they try to screw me out of a paycheck.

The more people purposely try to push my buttons, the colder and more stubborn I get.  Either these guys are trying to get a rise out of me to make me say something I shouldn't, or they're blatantly stupid.  I once leaned toward the former, but now am leaning toward the latter.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 08:16:06 PM »

Quote from: Qbe on May 15, 2007, 08:10:17 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on May 15, 2007, 08:00:52 PM

Within an hour I'd thought up at least a dozen zinger replies to his WWJD comment...but I haven't sent him any reply at all.  That comment is one of the aces up my sleeve in case they try to screw me out of a paycheck.

The more people purposely try to push my buttons, the colder and more stubborn I get.  Either these guys are trying to get a rise out of me to make me say something I shouldn't, or they're blatantly stupid.  I once leaned toward the former, but now am leaning toward the latter.

Probably.  I've worked for people that somehow take it personally when someone quits or leaves the company.  One jackass took it so far as to immediately fire anyone who turned in two weeks'...then got pissed when people just started quitting without notice.   retard

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 08:20:38 PM »

....Said VP replied and said that I wasn't very professional, giving them so little notice then said, and I quote, "What would Jesus have done?"...

I'm a Taoist, but I'm guessing he would have given to Caesar what is Caesar's, and nothing more.  They paid you, you gave them work.  Sounds like Caesar got all he has a right to expect.  Either that, or he would have told a story to let your boss know what a jackass your boss is acting like.

They had a chance to keep you happy enough to make you want to give them a customary but not required two weeks notice.  They failed.  You didn't give them that notice, and now they realize they were better with you than without.

There must be money in treating people like dirt, that's all I can guess from your bosses and mine.

Good luck, and I hope you're treated better where you are going.

Done posting
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 09:21:03 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on May 15, 2007, 08:16:06 PM

I've worked for people that somehow take it personally when someone quits or leaves the company.  One jackass took it so far as to immediately fire anyone who turned in two weeks'...then got pissed when people just started quitting without notice.   retard

Sounds like some high-quality management.  Like we have.  "We'll treat you like crap!  We'll treat you like a thief!  We'll make you want to quit, and then act surprised and offended when you do!" 

Idiots.

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on May 15, 2007, 08:20:38 PM

....Said VP replied and said that I wasn't very professional, giving them so little notice then said, and I quote, "What would Jesus have done?"...

I'm a Taoist, but I'm guessing he would have given to Caesar what is Caesar's, and nothing more.  They paid you, you gave them work.  Sounds like Caesar got all he has a right to expect.  Either that, or he would have told a story to let your boss know what a jackass your boss is acting like.

Sounds like you know Jesus better than a lot of WWJD moralizers do.  Years of studying the New Testament have taught me that the answer to "WWJD" is, "Not what you think he would do."

Quote from: the Nightbreeze
They had a chance to keep you happy enough to make you want to give them a customary but not required two weeks notice.  They failed.  You didn't give them that notice, and now they realize they were better with you than without.

There must be money in treating people like dirt, that's all I can guess from your bosses and mine.

Good luck, and I hope you're treated better where you are going.

Thanks, and thank you for the support guys.  It's been an unpleasant day which has been the end of an unpleasant 8 months of employment (2 as a contractor and 6 as a low-paid benefitless employee).  I've appreciated all your comments and advice.  Time to go sign out...for good!

On Monday I start my new job in Milwaukee.  Two days after I decided that Michigan is dead (at least for IT), I got a phone call for a new job, then an interview, then an onsite interview, and after that they were practically begging me to come and work for them.  It's nice to be appreciated.  I've had my fill of crap jobs.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 09:22:44 PM by Qbe » Logged

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 09:36:40 PM »

Good for you, you should never work for somewhere that you don't like or stresses you out. Life is way too short to short for that.
There's a good country song (fairly new), can't remember who sang it, but the guy sings something like he thew his hard hat to the ground and told his boss where he could stick it!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 10:30:52 PM »

Now I just need a new job too...
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 11:14:48 PM »

Life IS too short to work for assholes.

Best of luck to you.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 04:13:53 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on May 15, 2007, 09:36:40 PM

Good for you, you should never work for somewhere that you don't like or stresses you out. Life is way too short to short for that.
There's a good country song (fairly new), can't remember who sang it, but the guy sings something like he thew his hard hat to the ground and told his boss where he could stick it!

Can't pull the title out from memory, I'm no country music fan, but the artist was Van Zant (of the Lynyrd Skynyrd musicians' family)

Done posting
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: