http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 04:56:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Take pictures of the dead? SURE!  (Read 607 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 17, 2006, 04:03:50 AM »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3575517a4560,00.html

TOKYO: Japan's obsession with camera-equipped mobile phones has taken a bizarre twist, with mourners at funerals now using the devices to capture a final picture of the deceased.

"I get the sense that people no longer respect the dead. It's disturbing," a funeral director told the Mainichi Shimbun newspaper.

At one ceremony several people gathered round the coffin and took out their phones to photograph the corpse as preparations were made to begin a cremation, she was quoted as saying.

"I'm sure the deceased would never want their faces photographed," she said.

But others called it a form of a memento in the modern age.

"Some can't grasp 'reality' unless they take a photo and share it with others. . . It comes from a desire to keep a strong bond with the deceased," social commentator Toru Takeda told the paper.

That is a kinda disturbing social move.  Land of the rising sun is just odd sometimes...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 05:02:54 AM »

I took a couple of my mom. I have no idea why i did that looking back. At the time I thought nothing of it and felt I needed the pic. I just walked right up with my old insta polaroid and click, whirrrrr, bzzz. No wonder people looked at me funny. Im glad I have the pic..sorta...but Id never do that again. Age makes ya smarter smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 06:14:08 AM »

I dunno....if it's okay for people to go up and LOOK at the corpse, what's wrong with wanting to take a picture?

I was present when my mom died(along with a few other family members), I didn't feel the need to take a picture but that's because I prefer to remember her as she was when alive.  I realize that other people may have different needs, so it's all good to me.

Lastly, unless you leave specific instructions against allowing photos, I don't think the living survivors are in a position to say 'he/she would not have wanted to have pictures taken'.  How the frack would they know?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 01:22:33 PM »

They take pictures of everything else-why not the dead?
Arowyn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 03:41:24 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
I took a couple of my mom. I have no idea why i did that looking back. At the time I thought nothing of it and felt I needed the pic. I just walked right up with my old insta polaroid and click, whirrrrr, bzzz. No wonder people looked at me funny. Im glad I have the pic..sorta...but Id never do that again. Age makes ya smarter smile

When my mom died, the funeral director handed me a laminated program of the funeral and inside were two pictures of my mother in the casket.  I thought that was rather odd, but it was the first funeral I had arranged so I had no idea if this was SOP or not.  I hadn't taken any pictures and had no desire to have them.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 03:50:43 PM »

biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: