http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 06:44:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Survivor. Where's the thread? Oh, here it is.  (Read 2435 times)
Jimmy the Fish
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2010, 11:32:13 PM »

I'm as big a Survivor fanboy as they come, but holy crap, this season is hard to watch even for me. I've watched every season and this has to be the worst. Aside from Jimmy Johnson, just about everyone else is a colossal douchebag, completely uninteresting, or simply inept as a strategic player.

Brenda is yet another in the endless trail of contestants who got so overconfident and cocky that they were too blind to see their ouster. When will people learn that the moment you make it obvious to everyone else that you want to be the alpha dog power player you're as good as gone?

Purple Kelly is one of the most spineless and clueless contestants to ever play the game. The sad thing is that she will probably go far because she can be so easily manipulated that it doesn't even take any effort. The classic coat tail rider, except so brain dead she should be connected to a respirator.

Sash fancies himself a master of the game, but really, he is nothing more than Brenda's bitch. Now that the queen bee is gone, watch him scramble like a drowning bug.

Naonka is just a disgusting personality. I read an interview with Brenda saying that Naonka is being edited by the producers to seem like a grade-A bitch and that she is actually a nice person. Sure, but when Naonka goes into full ghetto in your face mode, that can't be her playing up to the cameras. She really is that disgusting when she goes off.

I couldn't care less who wins at this point. Hell, give it to purple Kelly. That would be the perfect ending to a excruciating season.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2010, 12:00:03 AM »

I really wish we could see the show after the fact, without all the editing. Would love to have heard the logic and what Sash was thinking. Maybe he was sick of her?
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2010, 12:08:59 AM »

That certainly would be interesting and probably completely change the dynamics of perception.

From what I've read, tribal council normally runs over an hour so there is no doubt a lot of stuff discussed that no one else sees.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2010, 03:36:57 PM »

Hey, I got an idea! Let's build an oven with our wooden crates! That should work real good!

Brenda was just in shock that the "peasants" would revolt. Haha!

Wonder what crazy Na is going to do this time.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2010, 10:19:21 PM »

Quote from: dfs on November 19, 2010, 09:56:37 PM

Quote from: rittchard on November 19, 2010, 09:34:30 PM

It would have taken one minute for her to tell Kelly Purple who to vote for - say Benry (or Naonka).  Then herself, puppy dog Chase and Sash all vote the same way, Sash plays the idol for her and boom!  Done!  4 votes was enough to beat a split vote strategy.  That's not scrambling, it's like a couple minutes to tell your peeps what to do.
At which point you and your peeps have drawn a line in the sand where you are down 5-4 and getting ready for slow death.
The decision was for Sash to go that way or play for himself and he decided that he didn't need Brenda anymore. Can't fault him for that. She had become a pretty polarizing figure.

And now his options are that much better?  Personally I would have wanted to stick with at least one person with a brain in the middle of all these idiots, if only to have some set numbers and someone else to help manipulate the dolts.  Now that he's turned on Brenda, there's really not a single person there who trusts him or that he can trust.  As we saw the last 2 seasons, playing the idol to save someone else is a powerful move in multiple ways, not the least of which is taking out an opponent, solidifying your alliance and sending a message to the other players.  If they took out Holly, there would be no more brain to fight.  If they took out Naonka, it would send a message (don't turn on us).  If they took out Jane, it would be harsh but also a powerful statement.  Benry or Fabio, they take out a potential physical threat.

Seriously in this season of douches and tools, where it doesn't take much more than a small seed to flip someone around, just staying in the game is a chance at a million.  Assuming she had followed what I said above, it doesn't mean an instant 5-4 split, not with this bunch.  Chase could flip Jane.  Brenda could flip Naonka back.  A chicken could flip Fabio, or for that matter Benry as well. 

But maybe I'm underestimating Sash and he figured he needed to get rid of her at some point or another to win the million.  Guess we'll see!
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2010, 05:53:15 PM »

Okay, for the few of you still watching, last night's episode officially made this the WORST season of Survivor in the show's history and Naonka as the worst player of all time. The fact that she is proud of everything she has done up to now is proof that she is a delusional, horrible human being with no other motive but to be a selfish pathetic excuse and a waste of oxygen.

Say what you will about the infamous Johnny Fairplay in his first season on the show and the lies he told, but at least he told them in the context of playing the game.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2010, 07:10:50 PM »

I think I'm more peeved that they're allowed to be on the jury and vote who wins. That should not be. You quit you shouldn't have a say in anything in the game.

Kinda hoping Dan wins this season to seal it as the worst one.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2010, 07:37:45 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on December 02, 2010, 07:10:50 PM

I think I'm more peeved that they're allowed to be on the jury and vote who wins. That should not be. You quit you shouldn't have a say in anything in the game.

Kinda hoping Dan wins this season to seal it as the worst one.

LOL, I thought that last night's episode was perfect in keeping in tune with this season's absolute horribleness and unpredictability - but making it that much more compelling to watch.  2 people quit simultaneously?  Seriously, lol?  Wow wow wow!  And think about how poor Brenda must feel - she gets ousted by Naonka one week only to have her quit the next?  Ouch.

As for the jury thing, apparently it's been "controversial" but was established as a "rule" on a previous season of Survivor.  I was reading Jeff Probst' blog about it, some chick named Juno or something like that in another season, they allowed to be in the jury.  It has something to do with trying to keep things "fair" for the people still in the game that might have established alliances with people that quit.

So what remains?  2 old ladies, 2 dumb hunks, 2 douches and a gimp.  All they need is a pizza place and they could have their own show.

Dan has virtually 0 chance to win but everyone will probably want to take him to final 3, so really it seems to boil down to whether or not any of these tools can solidify a decent alliance.  From the looks of the commercial, it didn't look pretty lol.  At this point, I'd like to see Chase and Benry hook up and take Dan with them to the finals.  I might as well get my maximum eye candy in this horrible season.  What I'll probably get instead is the battle of the old ladies lol.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2010, 09:06:28 PM »

Does Sash still hold an immunity idol? I can't even remember anymore. Assuming so, he and Chase have the upper hand since they hold idols. Chase might be in a more better situation because I don't believe anyone left in the competition knows that Naonka had that idol.

I can't wait to see the reunion show where Jeff Probst can take some more shots at Naonka.Hopefully he doesn't hold anything back.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2010, 10:48:22 PM »

I can't wait to see the reunion show where Jeff Probst can take some more shots at Naonka.Hopefully he doesn't hold anything back.

she'd probably try knifing him

I can't believe she's a teacher. what the hell do you say to your kids when you get back after being like that? All that time to think about it, and all of those lectures, and naonka and kelly still decide to quit like it went in one ear out the other.

I have to say though, the big gulliver's challenge was pretty neat. what do they do with those big things now, wash them up and re-use them in another season? and benry's reaction to naonka was right on the money...funny stuff.

I guess at this point i'd like to see either benry or the nascar dude win it.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2010, 11:57:54 PM »

At this point, I could care less who wins. I just didn't want Naonka to win. I guess Holly deserves it as much as anyone now. She seems to be really stepping up her game lately and giving up the reward challenge prize for the greater good of the entire group was a smart strategic move.

I was reading Jeff Probst's blog on ew.com and he was pretty clear that he absolutely hates quitters and was really critical of Naonka entire way of playing. He really thought that she would give up the reward challenge prize for the rest of her tribemates. So much for assuming that there is good in everyone.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2010, 12:15:10 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on December 02, 2010, 11:57:54 PM

He really thought that she would give up the reward challenge prize for the rest of her tribemates. So much for assuming that there is good in everyone.

I'm not saying I agree with her decision, but let's play devil's advocate for a sec.  Imagine if she'd truly already been psychologically and/or physically broken down to want to quit, how much would "honor" and "sacrifice" be on her mind at that point?  She had more or less decided she wasn't going to keep playing (and if she was still undecided, going on the reward for more strength makes more sense), she had already betrayed her supposed best friend the week before so the people benefiting she could clearly care even less about, she was exhausted from a tough challenge, starving and cold, so why the f- not go out with a bang and grab some reward fun?  It would be the last "fun" thing she'd get to do Survivor-wise, and it didn't seem to me she really cared about anyone there but herself.  Plus she had no need to garner favor with the others since she was giving up, unlike Holly - who I have to say seemed a bit disingenuous in her "sacrifice".  It looked to me like she did it not just because she is innately "good" but to up her position in the game AND probably because she thought she could guilt Naonka into taking her place. 

Now of course the whole thing about her being a teacher and possibly wanting to set an example for her students does kind of boggle your mind, but after her cuss-fests, food stealing and all-around psycho behavior, I think that was long gone from her head.

I think it's easy (and fun) for us to judge as armchair quarterbacks, but I can certainly imagine myself turning selfish or uncharacteristcally mean if you broke me down enough physically and psychologically.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2010, 12:32:40 AM »

I think the point is that honor or sacrifice is something that is completely foreign to her. Remember that her selfish, over the top behavior was on full display from day one, long before she was mentally or physically beaten. Sure, it's easy for us to sit back in comfort of our homes and judge these people put in a situation we will probably never experience, but even it their beaten state, it doesn't change the fact that everyone has some basic values and beliefs they hold regardless of what situation is being presented. I've watched every episode of every season of Survivor and it's not terribly difficult to see how the participants' mental state is affected by the experience to the point where it changes their behavior towards the other tribe mates.

I'm sure Naonka is not 100% always in full in your face mode and she probably has a nice side to her personality under more normal circumstances. In fact, Brenda, of all people, alluded to this in an interview I read. The editing by the show producers are purposely making Naonka seem like a totally horrible person but I still say that because she has this really disagreeable side to her personality, it's more than just the mental and physical stress that is bringing this out for everyone to see.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2010, 02:19:25 PM »

Posted by: rittchard
I think it's easy (and fun) for us to judge as armchair quarterbacks, but I can certainly imagine myself turning selfish or uncharacteristcally mean if you broke me down enough physically and psychologically.

Posted by: rittchard  
Personally I would have wanted to stick with at least one person with a brain in the middle of all these idiots, if only to have some set numbers and someone else to help manipulate the dolts.

Seriously in this season of douches and tools

Certainly easier for some of us more than others, and apparently funner too

Tongue

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
dfs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2010, 03:36:50 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 22, 2010, 10:19:21 PM

Quote from: dfs on November 19, 2010, 09:56:37 PM

Quote from: rittchard on November 19, 2010, 09:34:30 PM

It would have taken one minute for her to tell Kelly Purple who to vote for - say Benry (or Naonka).  Then herself, puppy dog Chase and Sash all vote the same way, Sash plays the idol for her and boom!  Done!  4 votes was enough to beat a split vote strategy.  That's not scrambling, it's like a couple minutes to tell your peeps what to do.
At which point you and your peeps have drawn a line in the sand where you are down 5-4 and getting ready for slow death.
The decision was for Sash to go that way or play for himself and he decided that he didn't need Brenda anymore. Can't fault him for that. She had become a pretty polarizing figure.

And now his options are that much better?  Personally I would have wanted to stick with at least one person with a brain in the middle of all these idiots, if only to have some set numbers and someone else to help manipulate the dolts.  Now that he's turned on Brenda, there's really not a single person there who trusts him or that he can trust. 
....snip....
But maybe I'm underestimating Sash and he figured he needed to get rid of her at some point or another to win the million.  Guess we'll see!

Funny how things turn out isn't it? At 9 Sash looks like he's on the outs and one of the next to go. After two people quit, at 7 he looks like a lock to get into the final 4.

I suspect both Kelley and Naonka made their decision not just because of the physical conditions which did seem pretty terrible, but for mental isolation reasons as well. Kelly was the only person not in the know that Brenda was leaving. Even Brenda didn't bother to tell her. That has to sting. And Naonka....one of these things is not like the others......who knows where her mind was taking her.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2010, 09:27:57 PM »

I think it's humorously sadistic that they made them stay in the jury and spend time at "the ranch" during the filming of the remainder of the show.  At this point they should start airing episodes of Marty, Brenda, Naonka and Kelly living together...that might be more interesting than the actual island stuff.  Brenda and Naonka can strike up their friendship again. icon_twisted 

Regardless of how crazy Naonka appears, I have to believe the experience of being on the jury would be humiliating after quiting.  I think that's what Jeff was going for by leaving their torches as a reminder.  Jeff getting pissed when people quit goes deeper than just being pissed about quiting.  He's mentioned before how many people they pass over to cast each season, knowing there are many, many people that would kill to compete on the show.  That said, sometimes their efforts to cast personalities over competitors blows up on them...like this season when 2 people quit.  Russell was a strong personality, but he was also a fierce competitor. 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2010, 10:17:46 PM »

bonk!  Bye bye cutie  crybaby

Personally I would have stuck with dumping Fabio first, although maybe Chase felt Benry was too close a competitor in challenges, who knows.  Sash is getting more and more annoying, if that's even possible.  Didn't he say he was going to play his idol or was that just BS?  Also I'm not sure why Chase was so concerned about Sash, since AFAIK he still has an idol and no one knows he does.  As long as he kept his eyes/ears open he had the opportunity to blindside anyone he wanted (presuming he brought Holly and Jane in on it).  If the Final 4 is really as it appears, it could be a pretty dull final few episodes.  Hopefully Fabio will make a run winning challenges to keep it interesting.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2010, 01:07:18 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on December 09, 2010, 10:17:46 PM

Sash is getting more and more annoying, if that's even possible.  Didn't he say he was going to play his idol or was that just BS?

He probably didn't play it because he won individual immunity. I can understand that. But we'll see if he plays it the next time he doesn't win it. It is pretty smart to tell everyone you're going to play it as they are unlikely to vote for you in fear you do actually play it. A good tactic.

I think Sash made the right choice with going with Chase/Holly/Jane. If he actually makes it to the final four and doesn't win final immunity I think they would take him as someone who probably isn't liked over someone like Jane who is. Of course that person who's left out will be pissed and probably give their vote to Sash. On top of that there's three jury members who were part of his alliance (Brenda/NaOnka/Useless Kelly). So maybe the voting will be pretty close if he makes it to the end.

My ideal final 3 for this season would be Chase/Holly/Dan. Dan won't get a single question asked his way. Chase will give stupid answers. And Holly will just be crazy paranoid.
dfs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on December 10, 2010, 01:07:18 AM

I think Sash made the right choice with going with Chase/Holly/Jane. If he actually makes it to the final four and doesn't win final immunity I think they would take him as someone who probably isn't liked over someone like Jane who is. Of course that person who's left out will be pissed and probably give their vote to Sash. On top of that there's three jury members who were part of his alliance (Brenda/NaOnka/Useless Kelly). So maybe the voting will be pretty close if he makes it to the end.

I think Sash went the wrong way here and I think he did it because the group he ended up with was a cohesive alliance. I don't think he can beat Holly or Jane in a jury vote, where if he had gone with Fabio/Dan/Benray I think as long as he gets to the jury, he's a sure win.

Of course, in the past I've been wrong in my thinking about how juries would vote.

My ideal final 3 for this season would be Chase/Holly/Dan. Dan won't get a single question asked his way. Chase will give stupid answers. And Holly will just be crazy paranoid.
Dan/Na/Purple Kelly would have been awesome. "Jeff, do I have to cast a vote?"
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2010, 05:42:54 PM »

I think Sash made the right choice, though, it's a tough call.  It's really hard to read how Holly and Jane would do with the Jury, I think more people might be annoyed by them than we know right now. Chase might do okay but then again, I'm not sure people respect his game.  Sash, will probably get Purple Kelly, Nianka, and Brenda's vote.  I also think he'd probably get Marty's vote too as I think Marty will vote based on who he thinks played the game the best outside of his extreme hatred for Jane.   So that's four votes right there, that's pretty strong if it's a three way finale.  I'm not a big Sash fan, but who else deserves to win at this point?  Probably Jane I suppose, but I just can't get excited about that prospect for some reason. 

This is really a tough year to watch.  I'm huge survivor fan and I don't have much motivation to tune in week to week.  I fear this season's failure is going to put pressure on Survivor to turn to gimmick casting more and more though.  While I enjoy the occasional All star shows, I don't want it to turn into an MTV rehash reality show. 

Quote from: dfs on December 10, 2010, 02:43:00 PM

I think Sash went the wrong way here and I think he did it because the group he ended up with was a cohesive alliance. I don't think he can beat Holly or Jane in a jury vote, where if he had gone with Fabio/Dan/Benray I think as long as he gets to the jury, he's a sure win.

Of course, in the past I've been wrong in my thinking about how juries would vote.

Dan/Na/Purple Kelly would have been awesome. "Jeff, do I have to cast a vote?"
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2010, 12:08:11 AM »

I am mixed on whether Sash made the right choice.  THe people in this season are so unpredictable and weird, it makes it impossible to figure things out.

If he went with the other guys, he could have got a potential final of Sash/Dan/Benry - which I'm pretty sure he would end up winning handily.  No one's voting for Dan and who would vote for Benry?  Maybe Fabio?

In this scenario, his best bet is Sash/Chase/Holly (or Dan if we could swing it).  As much a dolt Chase is, he is more likable than Sash, and both he and Holly probably have some pocket votes so it could be really close and come down to what the psychopath Naonka decides to do.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2010, 07:01:13 PM »

We finally watched it last night.

Just...sheesh what an awful season.

Hell, I hope Dan wins.  icon_lol

At least Amazing Race looks good for next season (after the crappiest season finale ever)...and in HD finally!

dfs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2010, 04:11:33 AM »

????? wtf Jeff TELLS them how to stir the pot and none of them get it?

Can somebody splain that to me?

How could Fabio and Dan vote for Jane.
How could Jane vote for Sash?

In a Jane/Holly fire starting contest....Jane will win for sure.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2010, 06:19:07 AM »

Yeah this has got to be the most inept cast yet, their voting went beyond logic. Still extremely glad to see Zombie Jane gone.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2010, 06:24:06 AM »

The most idiotic thing was Chase flat out telling to Jane's face that she was going to be voted out. Only that redneck meathead can screw up a blindside like that.

Most. Inept. Group. Ever.
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2010, 05:23:22 PM »

Jane voted for Sash??? Sigh.  The scene where the three told Jane about voting her out was awkwardness at its best though.  The only rationale I can see for not blindsiding her is that they didn't want to outright lie to her, thinking she might be less angry at them in the end for it.  Didn't quite seem to work like that last night -- but who knows once she calms down maybe she will be somewhat thankful they didn't blindside her and gave her a chance to vent.

I was also impressed at the melt downs over the family reward.  Seriously, if you melt down over family reward night you don't belong on Survivor.  I like how Fabio's mom pulled him aside and tried to get his head back in the game.  Christ, I've never seen such babies on the show in my life -- at least so late in the show.  I guess I have to hope that Sash wins now just because he's the best player.  He's not a particularly good player, but he's the best of this lot.  

As far as The Amazing Race goes, I agree that the Finale was terrible.  I think they might want to rework the format of it.  Maybe they need to have more teams in the final show  or more road blocks or something.  

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on December 13, 2010, 07:01:13 PM

We finally watched it last night.

Just...sheesh what an awful season.

Hell, I hope Dan wins.  icon_lol

At least Amazing Race looks good for next season (after the crappiest season finale ever)...and in HD finally!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 05:25:35 PM by iloveplywood » Logged
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2010, 06:49:44 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on December 16, 2010, 06:24:06 AM

The most idiotic thing was Chase flat out telling to Jane's face that she was going to be voted out. Only that redneck meathead can screw up a blindside like that.

Was it really that bad?  His sad puppy dog eyes and guilty look may just earn him Jane's vote.   If the final 3 really is Sash/Chase/Holly (which I have doubts at this point), who is Jane least pissed at?  From what it sounded like, she was still the least pissed at him.

I don't even know if I'd call this a blindside.  EVERYONE at one point or another discussed Jane as the biggest threat to win if she made it to the Final 3.  Now maybe she was delusional, I don't know, but even she only talked about Final 4.  It seemed like at least sub-consciously she realized no one wanted to take her to the finals, so her whole shtick of being "betrayed" just felt a little hollow to me.  Plus the quashing of the fire, though great TV, was just embarassing.  You might as well have replaced her with Naonka at that point.

dfs:  As for the final vote, who knows.  The fact is no one wanted Jane getting too close, and her horrible attitude at camp didn't win any points.  Forcing the tie would have been fun but at that point I'm thinking no one wanted her around anymore, both strategically and for general camp behavior.

I agree this cast is the worst quality they've ever had as a whole, but as a season I've had a blast making fun of them.  Aside from the first few episodes, every week has caught me off guard with some sort of inane behavior or unexpected elimination.  It's like the Anti-Survivor season.  At this rate, Dan really may win lol.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2010, 07:41:13 PM »

Oh sorry, I guess I gave Chase too much credit for assuming the remaining three would blindside Jane, because smart players would realize that if you telegraph the vote like that, the target might go off and try to rally the others to her side to try to vote someone else out. That would be the sensible, smart thing to do. Obviously, the last thing this collection of idiots can be called is smart.

Although this group is the worst collection of players in Survivor history, I have to admit that the number of laugh out loud moments is worth the price of admission:

1. Fabio whining like a 5 year old about not going on the reward challenge.
2. Jane putting out the fire after learning her alliance was going to stab her in the back.
3. Fabio explaining what a rhetorical question was to Chase the and dumb empty look on his face as the moment just went "whooosh" over his head.
4. Jeff Probst laying out exactly what Dan, Fabio and Jane should do at tribal council and then completely ignoring it.
5. The look on Marty and Naonka's faces as they watched how tribal unfolded.

Can you imagine how Russell Hantz must be feeling watching this season? Too bad he was not cast in it because he'd probably coast to the easiest win ever against these dim bulbs.
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2010, 08:12:56 PM »

I don't get the whole "jane will win for sure" thing.  Maybe they are not showing everything, but it does not seem like the 100% lock all the survivors talk about.  She may have won, but as a viewer I did not see it as that clear.  However, all the survivors seemed to agree she would win, so I assume that is why Dan and Fabio did not change their votes.  Aligning with Jane might be good short term but they might have looked at it as guaranteeing second place, where as now they at least have a chance, even if it is small.  Plus, I am sure Dan thinks the same as all of us do, everyone prob wants to take him to the final 3 no matter what, so why piss off 3 people when you can just piss off one.  As far as Fabio, from the little bits they showed, I think he really trusts Sash, and may believe that Sash is just pulling the strings of Holly and Chase.

Chase is one of the dumbest players ever.  Ok, I personally may not get the whole trying to play survivor with "honor" thing, but if you really don't want to lie to people ok.  But, you don't have to tell them your plans!  Keep your mouth shut if you don't want to lie.  I know Chase likes jane, so I can see him telling her about the vote prior to tribal, even if I disagree.  I thought his outburst at Tribal was worse.  Asking Sash and Holly "That's what were going to do right?" when Jeff asked them who was next.  My god what an idiot.  You could see Holly and Sash sitting there not answering thinking "Shut up you moron" but being forced into saying something by Chase's stupidity.  

From what I have seen I think Sash is the best player of this lot, so I am rooting for him to win.  But Holly may be able to sway some votes her way with a good final tribal speech.  This season has been so blah that I have a hard time remembering all the details, but was she not responsible for a couple of voting block changes earlier in the season?

Edited to add: Good lord, I accidentally said I thought "Chase" was the best player, quite the typo.  I meant Sash.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:22:10 PM by xenocide » Logged
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »

The others perceive Jane as a threat because she is likable, doesn't cause drama (at least before dousing the fire), works hard around camp, and has not screwed anyone over. On the jury, the only who obviously does not like Jane is Marty, but then again, he doesn't like anyone other than himself.

Watching Fabio is interesting. Outside of his episode of whining over the reward challenge, he is a dark horse to win it all. I don't think he's as clueless as everyone thinks he is, and the rest of the tribe seems to be starting to pick up on that. At least Chase is, which is about the only intelligent thing he's thought of so far.

Regardless of who wins, I look forward to the reunion show. I am curious to see how candid Jeff will be. I've seen interviews of him where he talks very candidly about how terrible certain past seasons were. Just watching how he responded to stuff going on at tribal suggests he's not too impressed with this group.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2010, 12:01:26 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on December 16, 2010, 11:06:04 PM

The others perceive Jane as a threat because she is likable, doesn't cause drama (at least before dousing the fire), works hard around camp, and has not screwed anyone over. On the jury, the only who obviously does not like Jane is Marty, but then again, he doesn't like anyone other than himself.

Watching Fabio is interesting. Outside of his episode of whining over the reward challenge, he is a dark horse to win it all. I don't think he's as clueless as everyone thinks he is, and the rest of the tribe seems to be starting to pick up on that. At least Chase is, which is about the only intelligent thing he's thought of so far.

Regardless of who wins, I look forward to the reunion show. I am curious to see how candid Jeff will be. I've seen interviews of him where he talks very candidly about how terrible certain past seasons were. Just watching how he responded to stuff going on at tribal suggests he's not too impressed with this group.

Yeah, really looknig forward to Sunday.  I was discussing it with my buddy at lunch today and we could easily make cases for pretty much anyone (even Dan) winning it all, depending on what combo makes it.  If for instance Chase/Holly/Dan make it (backstabbing Sash along the way), it's plausible that Dan could get votes from Jane, Marty, Fabio and even Sash - just out of spite.  If Chase and Holly split the remaining votes he could win it.  If Fabio wins the immunities, he could go with Dan and maybe Sash and win it all.

Now I know I'm a bit biased, but I think people misread Chase as being flat out dumb, when I think his problem is not stupidity but more of an innocent uncontrollable sincerety that has gone so far awry in this game that he ends up unable to shut himself up even when he knows better.  Every reaction to anything is written all over his face, it's almost like he is incapable of lying effectively without being over-ridden by guilt.  He always goes with his gut instincts, which really seem to want desperately to be "good."  In many ways I think it's actually sweet and endearing, but it's just not a winning trait on this show.  Colby kind of had that problem as well, the angst between being fundamentally a "good guy" vs wanting to do what it takes to win the game.  This show/game has morphed into one where being good the whole game just does not pay off.

Anyway, analyzing Jane, both my friend and I agreed she really wasn't a lock to win, but somehow it had been drummed into everyone's mind for the whole season, probably due to Marty.  On top of everything mentioned above, I think she is very poor and her husband died, so she has a great "sob story" according to Marty.  But that in and of itself wouldn't win her the million, I could see scenarios where Fabio or Sash could beat her.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2010, 08:40:33 PM »

Quote from: rittchard
Now I know I'm a bit biased, but I think people misread Chase as being flat out dumb, when I think his problem is not stupidity but more of an innocent uncontrollable sincerety that has gone so far awry in this game that he ends up unable to shut himself up even when he knows better... Colby kind of had that problem as well, the angst between being fundamentally a "good guy" vs wanting to do what it takes to win the game.

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines with him being similar to how Colby acted in Season 2 by basically giving away the game. And while Holly isn't exactly as likable or as in the background like Tina was in S2 the finale may play out similarly. If those two are in the final I can see Chase doing something stupid like apologizing to Jane and telling her he doesn't deserve her vote and she should vote Holly.

It's really hard to say who might win at this point as there is no clear cut player left that is fully competent. Plus you have a jury that's full of angry, crazy and indecisive people. After what what went down at this last tribal I'm not sure how they would throw their vote. I get the sense there will be more speeches made than questions asked this year.

I also have to say I love Jane for throwing water on the fire to show that Dan's knees were just fine. He jumped up off the shelter like he had a pair of alligators going for his ankles.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2010, 01:17:20 AM »

I'm guessing Holly is going to win. Not that I really care too much at this point. LOL

Hopefully the last Tribal Council and the reunion show will be interesting.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2010, 06:59:36 PM »

Well, an acceptable ending in my opinion. As Probst was reading the votes, it looked like Chase was going to win, which would have been a fittingly pathetic ending to a pathetic season. However, Fabio deserved it. He did not screw anyone over, and he stepped up and put together a string of immunity challenge wins when it really counted. Otherwise he definitely would have been voted out. Sash played himself right out of the game by being more wishy washy than even Chase. Amazing.

The final tribal council was amusing. Some of those people were still really bitter. Dan and Marty, wow, just could not let it go. Naonka played the crazy psycho all the way until the very end. She constantly slagged Fabio at every opportunity, flat out telling him to his face at one point that she could not stand him, yet in the end, she voted for him to win the million dollars. WTF??

And the awkward moment of the reunion show, Shannon still going on about how he thinks Sash is gay. The dude is a homophobic meathead, or he secretly wants to be Sash's boyfriend. The explanation of how Fabio plans to spend the money was so bizarre. I predict he will waste it all on tarot card readings, gold plated bongs, and the best weed money can buy.

Finally, I am skeptical about next season, starting in February. This whole redemption island thing feels like a gimmick and I hate it when they start messing with the basic formula of the show. I sure hope they did a much better job of casting than this season.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2010, 08:25:08 PM »

Yup, that was a entertaining last episode. I'd say the last two episodes were the best from the season and the right person won. I forgot which contestant said Fabio had shown the most growth but he certainly grew during this last episode. I loved seeing Fabio get some smarts and made Sash look like an ass and didn't make Chase or Holly look too good either. He played that perfectly with everything he said and did. Plus the group voted out the right person, Holly, who would have had a good chance at winning.

I was wrong about how the final tribal would play out. I figured Chase would basically give it away but he actually fought. I don't think he sold himself on some of the things he said although Alina seemed to buy in to it with the whole man/boy thing - which I don't think she fully understands. I also figured there would just be a bunch of comments made by the jury but they actually asked questions. Useless Kelly even asked a useless question - didn't Sash basically just answer Kelly's question a few seconds before she asked it? I also liked how Chase, Sash and Fabio were jumping in on each others comments - which allowed Chase to burn Fabio on reminding everyone how clueless he was after the votes were in. If there are any takeaways from this season it would be for the final contestants to continue fighting even if it isn't their "turn".

But other than that this whole season was horrible. Probably one of, if not, the worst. In fact it's got me so upset I've started investing in this new venture capital that is global and has an eco-friendly atmosphere and is looking to OVERTHROW THE GOVERNMENT! Wha? Quick Wendy pass the bong back to Fabio. Jeff's about to ask how your husband correctly told you that you would be voted off first. Strange. I heard words coming from your mouth but they didn't make a whole lot of sense. In any case I know if you continue to wear that cowboy outfit with the oversized hat and tassels there will be no fluffing in your future.

So is this next Survivor with redemption island going to be another All-Star style game? There were quite a few former contestants in the audience. And they played up the Cerie vs Rupert thing. It seems too soon but the prospect of seeing Russel vs Rob is titillating. The All-Star crew would be the best ones to sell this "twist" if its going to be included going forward.

But the best news of night was that Survivor wouldn't allow quitters on the jury! Oh...unless they decide they want them on it. Soooo... did anything change?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2010, 12:32:44 AM »

About 5 episodes in, my friend at work decided to start watching and afte seeing 1 or 2 eps he joking says to me, "I predict the rise of Fabio."  I started laughing but it really lingered in my head and by a couple of weeks ago I told him to expect Fabio to do an immunity challenge run for a possible win, at which point he told me he didn't really think there was any way it was possible.  I was really frustrated the episode where they took out Benry in favor of Fabio, because I just had the sense he was going to do this.  So I guess in retrospect, Chase did deserve to lose since he was the one who seemed to target Benry.

All that said, up til the last vote I thought Chase was going to win, I counted Alina, Brenda, Holly, Jane and Naonka (essentially all the girls).  I thought he by far did the best "transformation" at the tribal council and did about as good a job as you might have hoped given what he had to work with.  Yes he lied and backstabbed and came across as wishy washy, but the truth of the matter was he was always in the mix of making the big plays and decisions, and his craziness stemmed from being at heart a good guy who is uncomfortable lying.  If that's the worst thing you can say about someone, he must be a pretty decent guy.  What did Fabio do to deserve to win from the metagame standpoint?  As Chase mentioned, half the time he had no clue what was happening in the votes, he just rode whatever was happening and continued to play dumb.  I guess as a strategy it's as good as any other, but it's annoying for the players who were taking real risks being in the thick of alliances.  Yes he never backstabbed anyone, but that was just as much because he was clueless with what was going on and never made a strong move from the voting standpoint; all of his alliances were failures.  And in the end, Chase only lost because his psycho girl Naonka turned on him and voted for Fabio.  This after first saying she would never have lasted without Chase, not to mention how many times she said she hated Fabio.  WTF? 

Now of course it's all perspective because I was clearly a Chase fan throughout.  I'm sure if it were reversed and he had been the underdog who had to win 3 immunities to win, I would have loved it.  Oh well, you win some you lose some. 

Next season's twist looks decent.  I like the idea that you vote someone off but they can possibly come back for more, so you have to think it through even more so if you are trying to eliminate someone fom the game.  It really changes the dynamics of how you think about things.  If you vote off a physical threat, for instance, who's to say that threat won't be even stronger if/when it comes back, plus in the endgame it would have the advantage (like Fabio) of not having backstabbed anyone.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2010, 02:20:02 AM »

I was pulling for Fabio only because I couldn't stand Sash and I thought Chase played a really poor social game in terms of jury votes. Chase probably played the best *technical* game of Survivor in terms of lying and backstabbing to further himself, but his constant betrayal and bald-faced lying about rewards just really turned me off of him. He may be a great guy in real life but he pulled some real dick moves.

I was torn because I hated to see all that money go to a 21 year old kid, especially when every time they asked him what he'd do with it he'd reply, "Have fun, har har har." I believe Chase would have funded his cancer charity, while Fabio is probably going to blow it all on keg parties and Xbox games.

I do think Fabio's gameplay was underestimated. Everybody really liked Fabio - the only person he even remotely pissed off was Naonka and even she couldn't stay mad at him when all was said and done. I admire a well-played social game as much as I admire a well-played strategic game, even if it's more subtle.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2010, 07:02:15 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on December 21, 2010, 02:20:02 AM

I was pulling for Fabio only because I couldn't stand Sash and I thought Chase played a really poor social game in terms of jury votes. Chase probably played the best *technical* game of Survivor in terms of lying and backstabbing to further himself, but his constant betrayal and bald-faced lying about rewards just really turned me off of him. He may be a great guy in real life but he pulled some real dick moves.

I don't really see it like that (that he played a poor social game).  Aside from Dan, Fabio and douchebag Marty, it seemed to me like everyone loved him, even Benry who he kept trying to backstab.  Sure they thought he was paranoid and wishy washy, but I think that was understood as the game messing with his mind and they all genuinely liked him.  In the end, the people he bonded with the strongest (all the women essentially - speaking of which remember that challenge where he sided with all the women?) all voted for him to win in spite of the fact he helped vote them off.  All except Naonka (inexplicably) who I guess was just a freakin psycho and ruined his endgame. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: