http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 04:11:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Survivor Redemption Island Rob vs. Russell  (Read 4251 times)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2011, 03:03:33 PM »

Oh sweet Jesus, the next season of Survivor is going to feature both Boston Rob and Russell. I hope they end up on the same team. Check out the news article http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/13/survivor-boston-rob-russell-redemption-island/

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 03:47:41 PM »

Freaking awesome. So happy.

Does make me wonder what Survivor is going to do once they can't bring Russell back anymore. He's now going to have been on 3 out of the last 4 seasons and the one he wasn't on was the worst season in ages.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 03:50:12 PM »

Awesome!

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 03:52:52 PM »

I don't like it. There's thousands of people that want to get on that show, give someone new the chances.

We could see new personalities instead of milking these dry.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »

Wow, while that makes for great TV viewing for fans, it seems like it screws up the game quite a bit.  Not that Survivor has ever been a 100% "fair" game but this is kind of bizarre, even for them.  Previously when they brought people back it was either an "all-star" type of thing or it was the immediate next season, so the contestants weren't necessarily familiar with who was being brought back.  Now they are bringing back 2 of the most notorious and well known, possibly most experienced players in the game. 
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »

It'll make good TV so I'm fine with it.

If Rob winds up on Redemption Island I can see him sticking around by winning those challenges. If Russell winds up there I don't see him getting far as he's never been good at challenges.

Beyond that the rest of the cast looks pretty good this season. I can't imagine they will be as dumb as last seasons contestants.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 09:30:39 PM »

I love this description:

"This season's players include two ex NFL players, an Iraqi veteran, a couple of beauty queens, a hunk with heart, a mean girl and more."

A hunk with heart?  As opposed to the other hunks I guess who have no heart?  I'm guessing they mean this guy but there were a number of shirtless hunks so who knows:

Also looking through the pictures they have what looks like Fabio 2:

This was my favorite of the girls (professional dancer, woohoo!):

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 09:33:27 PM by rittchard » Logged
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »

That's a dead ringer for Fabio

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 10:04:33 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on January 14, 2011, 09:55:30 PM

That's a dead ringer for Fabio
that's no way to talk about a lady.

Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 09:11:34 PM »

Pretty good first episode.

Boston Rob and Russell seem to be playing it low-key so far, which is smart.

The ex federal agent dude...wtf? I'm pretty sure water would be a good treatment for that dry mouth condition there, bud. And the skivvies? Reminded me of the black version of Sam's father in True Blood. Not a pretty site.

Speaking of pretty.....there's a couple hot young girls again. Was surprised to see the blurring already.

Also a bit surprised at the choice at Tribal Council, but I like the idea of Redemption Island. Though I hope they dont plan on showing three what-if scenarios again for every episode  thumbsdown

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 10:23:02 PM »

That was probably the best first night tribal councel ever. This season definatley looks good. The way the so called alliance with the Fed guy blew up was hilarious. And Rob soaking it all in calling them amatuers. Classic.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 10:40:17 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on February 17, 2011, 10:23:02 PM

That was probably the best first night tribal councel ever. This season definatley looks good. The way the so called alliance with the Fed guy blew up was hilarious. And Rob soaking it all in calling them amatuers. Classic.

Definitely an enjoyable first episode and awesome tribal council.  No wonder I've been hearing Jeff Probst pimp this season so hard.  He kept saying even without seeing a single piece of edited fotoage or a complete episode he knew it was going to be a top season.

The Fed guy is hilarious.  I wish we could have put him with Naonka and let the fireworks commence.

What's up with Jamie Lee Curtis being in the show?  Did she have a boob job?  And how the hell did she find the idol so easily?
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 11:08:07 PM »

New Survivor drinking game: Every time Philip mentions that he was a federal agent, drink a beer!

Good gravy, that guy is all sort of delusional. As entertaining (or annoying--take your pick) as he is, he is not going to last long by blurting out what is on his mind 100% of the time. His social game is about as effective as a nuclear bomb.

Christina, who found the idol, is about as inept a player as anyone has seen in a while. She finds the idol, then decides to play it right away? On top of that, she aligns herself with the worst possible people strategically.

The whole way tribal played out was classic. Philip triggering drama, Francesca lying to save her butt, Christina trying to frantically apply damage control, and Boston Rob sitting back toying with all these amateurs. He and Russell must be thinking this will be easy.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 01:06:11 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on February 17, 2011, 11:08:07 PM

New Survivor drinking game: Every time Philip mentions that he was a federal agent, drink a beer!

Good gravy, that guy is all sort of delusional. As entertaining (or annoying--take your pick) as he is, he is not going to last long by blurting out what is on his mind 100% of the time. His social game is about as effective as a nuclear bomb.

Christina, who found the idol, is about as inept a player as anyone has seen in a while. She finds the idol, then decides to play it right away? On top of that, she aligns herself with the worst possible people strategically.

The whole way tribal played out was classic. Philip triggering drama, Francesca lying to save her butt, Christina trying to frantically apply damage control, and Boston Rob sitting back toying with all these amateurs. He and Russell must be thinking this will be easy.

Russell may have a harder time unless he can dig up an idol soon.  Looks like he already has a target on his back (not that that's stopped him before).  I expect he'd be tough to beat on Redemption Island though.

I wouldn't say Christina was inept, she was simultaneously lucky (finding the idol) and unlucky (being caught by Rob).  Her problem was she already knew she was on the outs with Rob, particularly when he wouldn't discuss with her who to vote out.  Given that the "Younger 6" were frolicking around all the time in the water (I love that footage), she had to be feeling the pressure that the older 3 would be systematically knocked out regardless of what she did.  Taking out Rob on day one would have been awesome, particularly using a hidden idol that she found with NO CLUES (that we saw, anyway).  I have no idea how Rob anticipated this on day one, but if it weren't for that on top of the crazy Fed, this could have gone down as one of the most brilliant and bold maneuvers in Survivor history.  Worth a shot.  Of course as Francesca said, it would certainly piss off the others and they still had the numbers - but who's to say without Rob if she might have been able to bring over someone else (to tie it up she'd only need 1).  Without Rob calling the shots and someone else taking leadership, they could all be ripe for the picking.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 01:49:24 AM »

Rob noticed Christina rummaging through the toolbox when they were building the shelter. That's how he figured she had the idol, because he knew she was looking for it pretty aggressively. He made an educated guess that she had it but even if she didn't it would have been a smart call to assume she did though.

The thing is, I felt Christina painted herself into an unfavorable situation by aligning with the other two older people in the tribe. I'll have to rewatch the episode, but my impression is that she didn't try very hard to be sociable with the others, including Rob. She has to be aware of the demographic makeup of the tribe and play along with what she was dealt. When she was caught by Rob looking for the idol around the tool box, he even flat out told her "I know what you're looking for". When she found the idol, she would have been better off pulling Rob aside and sharing it with him instead of Francesca and Philip. I understand her thinking in that Rob is the biggest threat out there but she needs to balance that with the notion that in the team dynamic, Rob is a huge force in the challenges, particularly puzzle challenges. Even though they lost the immunity challenge, Rob's direction with the puzzle part of it almost made up for the huge gap when they fell behind pushing the platforms. There's a time and place to eliminate Rob and it was way too early to do it. Christina's problem was that she was thinking about the individual game way too early.

Now that everyone knows Christina has the idol, it'll be interesting to see how the tribe deals with it now. It would be to her advantage to start hammering on the others that Philip is a loose cannon who will drive everyone crazy.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 02:28:28 AM »

Definately Best First Tribal Evah!!! Holy crap, my wife and I were flipping out!! Phillip is crazy... We couldn't beleieve what he was doing.... In his interagations did he tell suspects, "I'm going to be honest, we have nothing on you and we are just hoping you'll confess.." I wonder if he left the federal agent job because he was asked to.... This has to be one of the worst flubs ever... Even if he felt he was being honest, Rob knows it would have meant more if he didn't wait until tribal... i say rob splits the votes again... phillip and kristina... one of them goes and kristina may use the idol, leaving her open for the 3rd tribal if she doesnt go... I'd like to see phillip and franchequa battle it out.... franchesqua was funny when phillip kept flubbing her name....
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 08:17:21 PM »

That was a great opening for the season. Philip reminds me a bit of a former boss I had. He was so fixated on process and control where certain steps had to be followed exactly before you could get to the final goal. The problem was he would create the process and all those steps he created would turn in to inefficent busywork. If you didn't follow the process exactly he would get all flustered just like Philip was getting.

I suspect he's going to be short lived on that tribe but it will be fun seeing his frustration build until he goes.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 07:35:47 AM »

LOL, Phillip gets all Lord of the Flies over killing a three inch long crab. Classic.

Boston Rob already has the entire tribe under his control and everything is happening just like he planned. The dude is an awesome Survivor player.

Russell is such a predictable one note player. So smug in his confidence that he doesn't realize that maybe, just maybe, there are people out there who might prove to be his equal in the game. Love the fact that Larry the Cable Guy already found the idol, while Russell slags him as the stupidest person on the planet.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 01:19:39 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on February 24, 2011, 07:35:47 AM

LOL, Phillip gets all Lord of the Flies over killing a three inch long crab. Classic.

Boston Rob already has the entire tribe under his control and everything is happening just like he planned. The dude is an awesome Survivor player.

Russell is such a predictable one note player. So smug in his confidence that he doesn't realize that maybe, just maybe, there are people out there who might prove to be his equal in the game. Love the fact that Larry the Cable Guy already found the idol, while Russell slags him as the stupidest person on the planet.

Yeah I have a feeling Russell isn't going to get away with his normal game this time around. Everyone is wise to him. The problem will be if they have the balls to cross him. If they do he is gone.

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 01:29:06 PM »

Larry the Cable Guy.... icon_lol

Maybe his tribe will decide to follow him instead of Russell.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 11:06:22 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on February 24, 2011, 01:19:39 PM

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on February 24, 2011, 07:35:47 AM

Yeah I have a feeling Russell isn't going to get away with his normal game this time around. Everyone is wise to him. The problem will be if they have the balls to cross him. If they do he is gone.

I'm thinking the same thing.  But then again, I was thinking that virtually every week he was on both the first and second times, but every time at the last second he found some way to save himself and stab someone else, so who knows.  Of course given that Larry already has an idol, it could make things difficult, but Russell has faced situations like this before.  The commercial seems to indicate they have some bizarre blindside plan in motion, but it's hard to imagine what it could be with only 3 people on his side.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 11:31:24 PM »

Russell's issue right now though is that he only has two other tribe members following him. Everyone else is either on to his game or have other alliances. If Larry the Cable Guy were smart, he would cobble together a majority vote of the members now by hammering on the fact that Russell is an aggressive schemer who is playing the same strategy as he has in the past. Come on Larry. Git er done!  icon_lol
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 01:52:04 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on February 24, 2011, 11:31:24 PM

If Larry the Cable Guy were smart, he would cobble together a majority vote of the members now by hammering on the fact that Russell is an aggressive schemer who is playing the same strategy as he has in the past

The flip side is that he has also lost doing the same thing over and over.... So, side with Russell, get to the end, and beat him...
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 05:32:51 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Nice move ousting Russell. He'll likely be back, however.

I think that cute dark-haired girl buried herself at tribal, she might be lucky to have one friend left on that tribe now. Overall a somewhat forgettable episode with the exception of what happened at tribal....again.

Does anyone know who the older guy played for in the NFL?

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
dedewhale
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 05:52:15 PM »

I believe this is him

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WrigSt21.htm
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 08:58:15 PM »

271lbs?

was he on 'roids as a player, or what? cause he sure isnt 271 now.

thanks, dadewale

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 10:06:25 PM »

I hate that guy, in fact I hate pretty much everyone on that tribe except for Russell's slutty "storm's a coming" girl; I'm hoping she'll go Naonka on them and steal the food and douse the fire and make everyone miserable before she's voted off.  Something tells me Russell is not going to make it far, I wouldn't even be surprised if Fabio bumps him next week.  Throwing the challenge and then not owning up to it was just cheap and classless.  While I had a bad feeling for him the whole time, I still wished that Firelady would have stepped up and joined Team Russell.  The show is so much better with him in it.  The thing with her is, did she really just want to be 6th place in a 6-man alliance?  Lame.  I hope she regrets it later.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 11:28:11 PM »

I found it hilarious when Rob told Philip to get off the chair so he could take it somewhere to pull out the immunity idol clue. The Federal Agent(?) was pretty much sleeping on the job right there. LOL.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 01:13:24 AM »

"under his fat ass" to be more specific  icon_lol

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Russell crying? really??? Damn, that dude doesnt take loss well LOL

I'm wondering when the Redemption Island survivor gets put back in. Anyone know? Seems to me that whomever wins that many challenges should get an automatic top 5 position, or something.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 05:47:56 PM »

My guess is that the RI survivor will return when the tribes merge.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 07:48:25 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 03, 2011, 10:06:25 PM

Something tells me Russell is not going to make it far, I wouldn't even be surprised if Fabio bumps him next week.

Ugh, I hate being right some times and this season which seemed so promising is kind of going down the tubes for me.  Maybe his little vixens can stir some trouble up, but aside from them, I pretty much don't like anyone on the show.  That stupid hick needs to be shot the next time he does that rooster bit.  All of the hunks are tools and that old guy is just flat out annoying.  All the remaining pretty girls also seem like tagalongs.  Phillip is insane which makes him fun to watch but not a contender.  I suppose I could root for Rob, and his presence still gives the show some edge, but I've never been that much of a Rob fan. 

Will haev to see how it progresses but oddly enough last season's band of idiots was actually more compelling than most of this cast. 
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 08:56:31 PM »

There is certainly a good amount of attractive flesh this season with many of the girls  thumbsup

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 08:22:56 PM »

Some of these girls it seems like they're brand new contestants as apparently they don't have enough personality to appear on screen for more than seconds at a time.

A little let down about Russell going and did feel for him when he broke down - you could tell how much Survivor meant to him and he fit it so well. I did love how he went all Hyde again and stirred things up by goading Ralph to reveal info. I'm fine with not seeing Russel on the show for awhile. Say another 4-5 years. It would give him time away from the game to reflect and hopefully come up with a new strategy. I don't buy that he wouldn't come back.

I loved Rob's commentary about Philips poor choice in swimwear and how things were flopping around. It's both an "ew" and "har" comment in one. I really hope Philip sticks around for awhile yet. I'm not even close of being tired of him randomly telling people he's a former Federal Agent. And it wouldn't be fair for the viewers to have him leave before he explained who's getting the Gorillia and/or the Lion.

So far this is a pretty strong season. I'm not sure if its going to be one my favorites but its already memorable.

*modified for clarity sake
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:37:12 AM by Crawley » Logged
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 06:19:17 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on March 11, 2011, 08:22:56 PM

So far this is a pretty strong season. I'm not sure if its going to be one my favorites but its already memorable.

With Russell gone and Rob running with a bunch of morons (OK yes I'm sure the straight guys will enjoy the eye candy of the 3 hot girls preening each other), this season for me is tanking rapidly.  I had such high hopes too!  This week's ep was one of the most boring and predictable I've seen in a long while.  Rob wins a calling/puzzle challenge?  Surprise!  Which of the 2 girls on the outs will get knocked out?  Surprise!  Ugh.  Oddly enough, the whacko Phillip is probably the most engaging "character" of the season.

The old Russell tribe, I seriously can't stand any of them except for Stephanie.  They seem like a bunch of tools and I was happy that the other girl (Krista?) called them out on their lack of gameplay.  Unless it's just the editing, not a single one of them seems to be looking past their alliance of 6 or thinking about what might happen at a merge.  I sincerely hope that bites them all in the ass in the future.

And Redemption Island?  So far all it looks like is a place for Fabio to continue his string of wins from last season lol.

Best case scenario for the show now is if they do what I generally dislike, the old tribe switcheroo.  Preferably next week.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »

This past episode was pretty boring. The one interesting thing about it was Rob replacing the new hidden immunity idol clue with the old useless one. Since both tribes now have dominant groups in charge, and both of those groups have the hidden immunity, things won't get interesting until them merge and individual immunity is up for grabs. So they basically need a merge in this next episode to keep things interesting or else it'll be either Philip or Stephanie.

I do kinda like Redeption Island for allowing the two teams to trade information or call out people if they have the oppertunity. I'm not sure how big a factor the person coming back in to the game will play.
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2011, 07:42:44 PM »

Not a lot happening this week, but in a reality show there's always going to be some predictable episodes no matter how they try to edit it.  I really like redemption island, I feel it's a great addition to the show (though I appear to be in the minority).  I guess that's all I got . . .
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 08:08:28 PM »

They obviously knew it was a gonna be a slow episode judging by how much they ramped up the girls in bikinis.

We saw them showering under the waterfall, laying on the beach, and like mentioned before.....preening one another.

thumbsup

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 09:14:15 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on March 18, 2011, 06:38:36 PM

I do kinda like Redeption Island for allowing the two teams to trade information or call out people if they have the oppertunity. I'm not sure how big a factor the person coming back in to the game will play.

Yeah that definitely remains to be seen.  If it does turn out to be Fabio, and Andrea is still around, that could make things very interesting.  Particularly if their 2-man alliance does somehow screw Rob up, which would be like some sort of ironic self-fulfilling prophecy that he himself set up.  As Rob himself said, once you get down to the merge, having a 100% tight 2 person alliance can be huge.  If the numbers are close, 2 votes can swing it for one alliance or the other.

I do like that they've replaced the old reward challenge with a 1v1 duel on Redemption, so that's been a plus.  And as you mention, the giving out of info between teams during the duels has also added some extra spice, but only after the merge.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2011, 05:56:58 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on March 18, 2011, 08:08:28 PM

They obviously knew it was a gonna be a slow episode judging by how much they ramped up the girls in bikinis.

We saw them showering under the waterfall, laying on the beach, and like mentioned before.....preening one another.

thumbsup

I really liked the beach scene. They need more of those.  thumbsup

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: