http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 05:42:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUPERMAN RETURNS TEASER TRAILER - HOLY CRAP!!!  (Read 2791 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2005, 05:02:57 AM »

Behold the return...

Sweet merciful crap.... If you have any love whatsoever for the majesty of the original Donner film, your jaw will drop when you see this. :shock:

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 05:45:34 AM »

Whoa!  That was damned cool!  I'd like to see that in non-postage-stamp size. biggrin

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 05:52:49 AM »

How about fullscreen quicktime?

http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/trailer.html

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 06:02:20 AM »

That trailer made me cry, I'm so giddy. Could the greatest superhero movie of all time finally get a worthwhile sequel?

"It is for this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you.... my only son...."

I believe a man can fly.

Veloxi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 06:36:07 AM »

Whoa....just...whoa...

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 06:43:45 AM »

wished it didn't look so computer generated.  But man it's about time a real superhero is back on the big screens.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 07:07:27 AM »

I'll never understand why people like Superman.

He's just such a boring character.

*sigh*

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 07:47:42 AM »

In the hands of a good creative team, Superman is NOT a boring character. Of all the major superheroes in the DC Universe (the universe which for obvious reasons includes almost all the iconic heroes), Superman has the most genuinely human soul. That means he can be tortured, and torturing characters is the heart of good drama.

He's hard to write well because he's so iconic. And because he's become a very obvious messianic character*, and messiahs can be difficult to present in interesting ways, due to the impulse to make them too perfect. But what makes Superman better than, say, Captain Marvel, is that he's not one-note or one-dimensional. He's a very alien being trying to live out what he believes to be the best traits of his adopted world, but not always succeeding. For example, Superman has on more than one occasion killed his opponents, even though that's a violation of his own moral code.

* - The messianic subtext of the Superman story really gained steam in the late Silver Age, and reached its apex with Superman: The Movie, where Jor-El is presented as a divine figure sending a Kal-El, his only son, to earth as a savior.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 08:24:03 AM »

That trailer gave me goosebumps!  smile

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 08:28:56 AM »

I'm glad you get that much out of the character fireball. I really am.

But to me he's still outrageously boring. It will never matter how he's written as a character or what his dilemma is, he's always going to bore me like no other.

The only thing that Superman ever did that made me happy in any of the stories related to him was when he died. Rock on Doomsday. Rock on.

unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 09:27:12 AM »

You hit the nail on the head with Superman.  And from the trailer, it seems the Messianic overtones are back.  Personally, I always preferred the way the animated series handled it; the Jor-El episodes kicked ASS.

Another interesting facet about his character is that, unlike just about any other hero, he IS Superman.  His alter ego is Clark Kent.  There really aren't too many heroes who come to mind in a similar situation.

Actually, Superman dislikes killing, but I'm not sure it's entirely part of his moral code (unlike Batman, who is very strictly against the taking of life).  However, I'm far more knowledgeable about the nuances of Marvel characters.  I am possibly quite wrong on that.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 01:11:41 PM »

I liked David Carridines speech in Kill Bill about how superman was the different superhero.

Superman is his real identity and his alternate was Clark Kent, which is backwards with all the other superheros.

I thought that speech in the movie was pretty cool and well done.
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 01:31:40 PM »

Oh yeah, I was wondering where I heard something like that before.  I didnt really agree with the part about Superman seeing people as weak and clumsy, however.

Two people I tried putting into my above comment (in a similiar situation to Superman) were Thor and She-Hulk, but neither really fit.  Thor may have been, well, a god, but his memory was erased and he actually thought he was a regular person.

And the She-Hulk was a person who was later altered.  And while she prefered to remain as She-Hulk most of the time (and later lost the ability to transform back anyhow), it was a choice.

Neither really fit, however, so I just erased it out.  I guess it does sound too much like that without it, but such wasnt my original intention  Tongue
TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 01:33:15 PM »

The fact that he's Clark Kent second is one of the reasons I find the Superman character boring.
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 01:36:34 PM »

Actually, it gets kind of like Silver Surfer: when you have a hero who is pretty much indestructable, you end up having to come up with enemies who are likewise.  It could get boring, but comic books have obviously done a decent job of coming up with new stuff.

I need to figure out what the deal was with Superman's dog.

[edit] Wow, Wikipedia is quite the source of comic book info.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2005, 01:59:44 PM »

Quote from: "TheGameAh"
The fact that he's Clark Kent second is one of the reasons I find the Superman character boring.

Bingo.

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2005, 02:12:59 PM »

I've been away from the books for a while; but I thought since the 1986 reboot he was Clark Kent first, and Superman second since his powers didn't manifest until his late teens?

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2005, 02:33:50 PM »

Quote from: "JLu"
I've been away from the books for a while; but I thought since the 1986 reboot he was Clark Kent first, and Superman second since his powers didn't manifest until his late teens?

I believe you're right.  But I'm referring to the movies mostly.  Clark Kent didn't have much of a role in the movies I thought.

Spiderman 2 and Batman Begins I thought were a nice idea of how a superhero movie should be made.  You should care just as much about the human side as the hero side.

Slight OT:  One of the great mysteries of the universe.  How the hell did Margot Kidder land the part of Lois Lane?
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2005, 02:53:40 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Another interesting facet about his character is that, unlike just about any other hero, he IS Superman.  His alter ego is Clark Kent.  There really aren't too many heroes who come to mind in a similar situation.

Well, that hasn't truly been the case since 1985. The modern, Post-Crisis Superman IS Clark Kent, that's who he thinks of himself as, and his life as Clark is far more real than his life as Superman. Pre-Crisis Superman was practically the opposite.

Post-Crisis Batman, however, IS Batman, and he even describes his Bruce Wayne persona as his "mask."

That cool speech in Kill Bill revealed that Quentin hadn't read a comic book since 1985... but clearly did read the review of Superman: The Movie that was in the New Republic.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2005, 02:55:16 PM »

Quote from: "JLu"

I believe you're right.  But I'm referring to the movies mostly.  Clark Kent didn't have much of a role in the movies I thought.

Spiderman 2 and Batman Begins I thought were a nice idea of how a superhero movie should be made.  You should care just as much about the human side as the hero side.

Slight OT:  One of the great mysteries of the universe.  How the hell did Margot Kidder land the part of Lois Lane?

I think she kept passing out in the producer's lawn and they gave her the part to make her go away.

One thing I'll give Kidder is that she stood up for Richard Donner, as did Gene Hackman. That's one of the reasons the Salkinds dropped them both from Superman III. In the end, I doubt they minded that much.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2005, 04:48:43 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Whoa!  That was damned cool!  I'd like to see that in non-postage-stamp size. biggrin

Go see the new Harry Potter.  Both Warner Bros. movies and the internet trailer released the same day as Goblet of Fire hits theaters?  My guess is that it's attached.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2005, 05:31:48 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Whoa!  That was damned cool!  I'd like to see that in non-postage-stamp size. :D

Go see the new Harry Potter.  Both Warner Bros. movies and the internet trailer released the same day as Goblet of Fire hits theaters?  My guess is that it's attached.

Yup, I saw the midnight showing of Harry Potter last night and it had the Superman trailer.  Nice surprise. :)
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2005, 05:33:32 PM »

Oh.  My.  God.  

And they're using the John Williams music.  Thank god. biggrin
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2005, 05:53:43 PM »

To quote Batman from Infinite Crisis #1 "The last time you really inspired someone, was when you were dead."

Anyways, the trailer and the movie:

So far, in my opinion, the only thing they have done right was use the classic music. The scene with him flying out of the clouds into the sun almost got me excited

but then they showed a close up of Routh and blew the vibe. I realize that he really isn't that young, but for a superman that is suppose to be near 40 in the script, he looks just way to freakin young. He looks too young to be a 30 year old superman. Now I wouldn't normally have a problem with Routh's age. He is 3 years younger than Superman from the comics when he first appeared and looks younger than that but this being a movie, they could just make Superman younger if the movie was a introduction. However as far as this movie is concerned, Superman I, II and probably III actually happened, then he goes away for 10 years to find his homeworld and comes back. If they were hell bent on casting someone who looks like a Highschool kid (and lets be honest, Tom Welling looks older than Routh and he IS playing a highschooler) they should of just started over from scratch like Batman Begins than continue off from the existing Superman series of movies.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2005, 05:56:14 PM »

I thought this was a reboot of Superman, and threw out the previous 4 movies?

I mean, look at how young Lois looks.  It's -Kate Bosworth- for crying out loud.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2005, 06:08:38 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
I thought this was a reboot of Superman, and threw out the previous 4 movies?

I mean, look at how young Lois looks.  It's -Kate Bosworth- for crying out loud.

It keeps I & II annnd when Superman comes back Lois is married and has a kid but the kid maaaaay be Sups.

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2005, 06:24:52 PM »

It's funny how Marvel have made so many different superhero films, (Ghost Rider, Blade, Daredevil, Hulk, Spiderman, X-men, Punisher, and I'm sure there's a few I missed) that DC seems to rely on Batman and Superman so much. How's about a Green Lantern film, or a question one (love the JL cartoon, one of the best things on tv), or Flash. I know that there's a Wonder Woman one on the way, but I think that will go the same way of Catwoman and Electra.  

And Kate is on the new cover of Total Film, and she looks incredibly young and nothing like Margot Kidder. Must be some great makeup she uses.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2005, 06:27:46 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
It's funny how Marvel have made so many different superhero films, (Ghost Rider, Blade, Daredevil, Hulk, Spiderman, X-men, Punisher, and I'm sure there's a few I missed) that DC seems to rely on Batman and Superman so much. How's about a Green Lantern film, or a question one (love the JL cartoon, one of the best things on tv), or Flash. I know that there's a Wonder Woman one on the way, but I think that will go the same way of Catwoman and Electra.  

Green Latern came very close to getting the green light. It was going to be a comedy starting Jack Black.

Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2005, 06:35:34 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
I know that there's a Wonder Woman one on the way, but I think that will go the same way of Catwoman and Electra.

Joss Whedon is writing and directing Wonder Woman so I expect it will be a quality movie.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2005, 07:18:13 PM »

You're kidding right?  Margot Kidder was perfect for Lois Lane.  I think everyone cast in the original Superman movies were perfect for the parts.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2005, 08:34:29 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"

You're kidding right?  Margot Kidder was perfect for Lois Lane.  I think everyone cast in the original Superman movies were perfect for the parts.

She played the character well enough, it's the look that she was completely wrong for.  Superman is supposed to be with a hot chick.  All superheroes are supposed to be with hot chicks.  It's in their credo.

"Even the female superheroes?"

Especially the female superheroes.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2005, 08:42:53 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Quote from: "Starshifter"

She played the character well enough, it's the look that she was completely wrong for.  Superman is supposed to be with a hot chick.  All superheroes are supposed to be with hot chicks.  It's in their credo.

"Even the female superheroes?"

Especially the female superheroes.

Margot Kidder always turned me on big time!  It was the raspy voice and those big round eyes that grabbed me. :wink:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2005, 08:54:10 PM »

Bryan Singer has copped to the fact that the leads look a lot younger than their ages would dictate, and said that's really where you have to suspend some disbelief because they need to be young enough toage with the franchise over the next decade. Based on that statement, then I can accept how young they look. It doesn't make it perfect, but I'll accept a concession to the realities of film making.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2005, 09:20:19 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Bryan Singer has copped to the fact that the leads look a lot younger than their ages would dictate, and said that's really where you have to suspend some disbelief because they need to be young enough toage with the franchise over the next decade. Based on that statement, then I can accept how young they look. It doesn't make it perfect, but I'll accept a concession to the realities of film making.

'cause only young folk age over a decade...  :roll:

It's a bullshit excuse.  The real reason you cast two young, hot actors is so that the teens will go see it.  If you cast 40-year-old actors in the roles, your potential audience drops exponentially.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2005, 09:30:43 PM »

But if you have two people who are young and in shape right now and can age with a franchise as it ages, would you not want that over two actors who might be right for the roles now, but will look too old for it by the third film?

I'm not saying I like the choice from an aesthetic point of view, but I'll agree that with a revamp of their major franchise they decided to skew the first film younger with the intent of the actors growing with their roles ala Harry Potter. It doesn't bother me as much as it would have they cast someone ten years younger than Christian Bale as Batman. Also, I still wish they had Tom Welling as Superman and just took Smallville to the big screen and furthered Superman's adventures that way.

/shrug

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2005, 10:04:59 PM »

Brandon Routh is hot so I fail to see the purpose of this debate.

If I can believe that William Shatner was a starship captain, I can accept that Brandon Routh is what Christopher Reeve would look like after seven years in space.

In fact, this mathematical equation, displayed in graphic form, proves it:

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2005, 12:07:35 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Bryan Singer has copped to the fact that the leads look a lot younger than their ages would dictate, and said that's really where you have to suspend some disbelief because they need to be young enough toage with the franchise over the next decade.

:?: Because there really is no other need to suspend belief when watching a grown man flying around in red underoos? :?:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: