http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 01:40:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman Returns!  (Read 1657 times)
Fireball
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2006, 06:49:03 PM »

I'll be posting a longer review on my website but for now I can sum my feelings up with one word: wow.

Okay, more than one word: This is how I like my superhero movies -- dramas with action punches, not boring films that are nothing but action and explosions. This is a true sequel to the first two Superman films, and has been aptly described as "lyrical." It had me from the opening credits.

The backstory behind this film is a decade of false-starts and near disasters. I wish someone had been making a documentary of the agony that was Superman V --> Superman Reborn --> Superman Lives --> Superman Returns.

Also, Superman Returns posted the eighth-best Wednesday opening in history, just a bit off last year's July 4 spectacle, War of the Worlds, and considerably above Batman Begin's mid-week bow. $21 million on Wednesday is a good head of steam going into a four-day holiday weekend.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 07:36:16 PM »

What was ahead of it on wednesday openings? Regardless, 8th best is pretty impressive. I bet the first weekend will rake in some large numbers too.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 08:10:47 PM »

I saw it last night on the IMAX and really enjoyed it. Great story, loved the music

Only complaints that really stick out for me.
 - Thought it could have used just a bit more action
 - Some of the 3d segments of the movie were a bit too fast moving to really work with the 3d effect.
 - Thought there were a couple of minor plotholes (such as kryptonite not seeming to affect superman as strongly as other times, and a few other things I can't say as it would require spoiler tags)
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 02:23:08 AM »

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/?page=wed&p=.htm

pretty impressive list.

5 o the top 8 are 'sequels', or prequels for that matter.  6 if you include the new superman.

8 of the top 10.
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 03:14:12 AM »

you can tell this was made by a fan, for the fans...my buddy and I counted no less than 9 comic covers done as scenes in the film. It was amazing.

I'm kind of floored but the criticism it's receiving in the media. It really just proves that anyone can criticize anything and it doesn't mean dookie...
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 06:21:37 AM »

Just got back from the flick ... and it was good. But I wouldn't say it was great. I could rant a bit, but I won't, not until more people have seen it. Some parts were awesome (airplane!), while some parts seemed like odd or illogical choices.

But above all, there was a lot of love, creativity, passion, effort, etc. put into the film. And Routh is Superman - a very good choice. (I just wish he were five years older.)

It's just not a perfect film, and it's not as epic as I had hoped it would be. I'll leave that up to the sequel.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 12:25:49 PM »

I haven't seen it yet.  How was Spacey?  Great I hope?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 02:40:52 PM »

Pretty damned good. I'd say the only actor who didn't really fit, for me, was Kate Bosworth. She just didn't have the strength that I would have wanted for Lois.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 02:50:24 PM »

The Gf and I went and saw it last night, I thought it was really good, and she even claimed she liked it.  Shes not a comic book person by any stretch.

I thought the action sequences were well done, i would have liked to have seen more though.  Thats just me.  I didnt think that the 'love story' was two awkward, it was supposed to be.  Just like in the first movies with reeve.

I thought spacey was great.  People were saying that It was Spacey being Hackman, even so, I thought he did a great job.  I liked Kitty.

I did think that Lois needed some work.  it wasnt that Bosworth was a bad choice, I think she just needed to be stronger.  I suppose for what was going on storywise though.  It sort of fit.

Good movie though.  I recommend it.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 06:06:25 PM »

Boy...you guys really aren't going to like me after this....

I enjoyed X-Men 3...I didn't care if it adhered to the storyline of the Dark Phoenix Saga.  Me and my friends were pretty pumped at the end of it.

I felt Superman Returns was merely average.  I'm glad I saw it, but I'm glad it was only a matinee.  A lot of the movie was just plain boring.  When they first show Lois Lane asking questions, she doesn't come off as likeable and more like a pain in the rear.  I like Kevin Spacey as an actor and at times he was brilliant....and other times he just didn't seem like Lex.  The overall plot was a bit rediculous.  The could have been more action.  I just came out with an OK feeling after the movie, and the longer I think about it, the more issues I see with it.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 12:38:08 AM »

I saw it with teh wife today and it was a fun movie.  Even though I'm not nuts about the character of Superman I really enjoyed Superman Returns.  The scene with the airplane and the music and the ballfield all came together really nicely and I felt like I was 10 years old again watching Christopher Reeve for the first time.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 03:45:46 AM »

Lex Luthor's real estate is a real fixer upper.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 02:29:57 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Where was all of that super-advanced Kryptonian weaponry that was going to help Lex defend his new continent?  I never really understood where he got the idea that his island was going to come with its own stockpile of crystalline WMDs.

-Autistic Angel
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 02:59:38 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
 I think he planned on making it with the other crystals he had.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 01:01:40 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
I got the impression that it wasn't so much actual weaponry as the threat of dropping a crystal next to their continent if they pissed him off.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 01:48:15 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Spoiler for Hiden:
I got the impression that it wasn't so much actual weaponry as the threat of dropping a crystal next to their continent if they pissed him off.

Spoiler for Hiden:
That was my thought as well. Short of Supe's powers, how exactly would they remove a growth like that?

And to post something outside of spoiler tags, I do have to say - I saw the film last night, and I really enjoyed it. Even though I'm not much of a Superman fan, the film was a great watch.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 05:24:04 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Was anyone, um, surprised by the symbolism at the end of the flick, the religious undertones? I know Supes has been seen as a Jesus figure from time to time, but I really didn't expect it to pop out like it did. Is Singer religious?

As well, I would have figured the movie would have made more by now (85 mil as of July 2). I guess there is the holiday for you guys tomorrow. That should bring in some bucks.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 02:53:33 AM »

Why do I always have the compulsion to read spoiler tags even when, by definition, I know they will spoil the movie for me?  Damnit I hate myself sometimes...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 08:39:06 PM »

I would recommend against seeing this movie on IMAX 3D.  I really enjoyed the movie but I found myself annoyed when I had to put the 3d glasses on especially because the quality of the 3d was subpar.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2006, 09:32:24 PM »

Quote from: "Kev199"
I would recommend against seeing this movie on IMAX 3D.  I really enjoyed the movie but I found myself annoyed when I had to put the 3d glasses on especially because the quality of the 3d was subpar.

Thanks for the advice, we were debating making the 2 hour drive to Atlanta to see it on the IMAX.  I personally didn't want to spend $13 per ticket.

Can't wait to see it though.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: