http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 05:26:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Bowl XLIII  (Read 10068 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2009, 07:05:25 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on February 02, 2009, 07:03:45 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on February 02, 2009, 06:58:55 PM

Quote from: godhugh on February 02, 2009, 06:51:11 PM

And it's "sandwiches" Tongue.

Um, no.  It's not.  At least not in Pittsburgh.

Here, I'll even use it in a sentence:

"Yuns ready to drag up to head dahntahn for a sammich?"

According to the Primanti Bros. website and menu, it is.

http://www.primantibrothers.com/menu/city/strip/

However, people from Pittsburgh still call it a "sammich" regardless of what the menu says.  As they say, "It's a 'Burgh Thing." 

I've been visiting Pittsburgh for 9 years with my wife.  Her entire family is comprised of Pittsburgh natives.  I am well-versed in "Pittsburghese".  And "sammich" is most definitely part of the language.  I've been corrected too many times not to have learned this valuable fact.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:07:18 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2009, 07:07:16 PM »

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2009, 07:31:25 PM »

I think I figured out why many Cards fans seem to be whining about the referees today.  It's such a rare event for peeps Arizona to watch a football game they simply don't understand the rules.   icon_smile

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2009, 07:40:27 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on February 02, 2009, 07:31:25 PM

I think I figured out why many Cards fans seem to be whining about the referees today.  It's such a rare event for peeps Arizona to watch a football game they simply don't understand the rules.   icon_smile

Ouch.   icon_lol

In other news, although I don't necessarily agree with the message of this picture, it is nonetheless amusing to me:

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2009, 07:41:33 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on February 02, 2009, 07:31:25 PM

We all do it (or at least a fair number of us).  When Philadelphia lost to New England in the Super Bowl I had issues with some of the officiating.  When Philadelphia lost to New Orleans in the playoffs I had issues with the officiating.  When Philadelphia lost to Arizona in the NFC Championship I had an issue with the pass interference no-call on Philadelphia's 4th and 10 play.  Falling just short of a Super Bowl title is difficult to accept.  I know, I've been there.  Twice.  Many will argue that the last play of the game was not a fumble and Arizona "should" have had one last shot.  However, as the ruling on the field was a fumble and there was little in the replay to provide irrefutable evidence in order to overturn the ruling on the field, this simply gets added to the list of questionable calls that inevitably plague an NFL season.  

However, games are not won and lost in one instance.  The game is played for 60 minutes, and when the game ends on a poor play it's easy to fixate on that one play (or official's call) as it is freshest in everyone's mind.  However, what about the potential 14-point swing to close the 1st half (Arizona could have scored 7, but not only did they turn the ball over but they also gave up 7 to the opposing team)?  

One call does not make or break a game.  There was another 59 minutes and 55 seconds of football played outside of that questionable fumble call.  

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2009, 07:43:22 PM »

Actually, anyone who is claiming that last play was an incomplete doesn't know football from a hole in the ground.  It's not questionable in the least.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2009, 07:48:23 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on February 02, 2009, 07:43:22 PM

Actually, anyone who is claiming that last play was an incomplete doesn't know football from a hole in the ground.  It's not questionable in the least.

If it was so clear-cut then there wouldn't be so many questioning the call.  Perspective also influences one's thoughts on the call as well.  While I believe it to have been a fumble, and that the call on the field was correct, it was a close call, at the end of a close game.  Dissent is inevitable, no matter how correct the call may have been.

I could continue to lament the no-call pass interference scenario at the close of the Eagles/Cardinals game.  However, what good does that do?  All it really does is make me look like a whining, sore loser.  In the case of yesterday's game, Pittsburgh is the Super Bowl champion.  Again.  And that one call was not what made it so. 

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2009, 07:56:48 PM »

It was close enough to warrant a booth review. While it turns out they did one, watching the broadcast live gave no indication that it happened.

We have this system in place to make sure that the right call is made, and it would have been inexcusable had they not reviewed the play.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2009, 08:02:38 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 02, 2009, 07:48:23 PM

If it was so clear-cut then there wouldn't be so many questioning the call.  Perspective also influences one's thoughts on the call as well.  While I believe it to have been a fumble, and that the call on the field was correct, it was a close call, at the end of a close game.  Dissent is inevitable, no matter how correct the call may have been.

I could continue to lament the no-call pass interference scenario at the close of the Eagles/Cardinals game.  However, what good does that do?  All it really does is make me look like a whining, sore loser.  In the case of yesterday's game, Pittsburgh is the Super Bowl champion.  Again.  And that one call was not what made it so. 

Exactly.  I'd be surprised if you could find any fan who thought the refs were overly biased towards their team; everyone thinks their team gets screwed by the refs (well, excepting Duke basketball fans, because they obviously have to know the refs favor them).
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2009, 08:05:37 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on February 02, 2009, 06:22:44 PM

I have to say that PeteRock and his wife Jaime are first class party hosts.

Thank you.   icon_redface

I arrived around 2:45pm to find PeteRock already in the kitchen doing some prep work. Jaime was working the crowd keeping everyone involved and entertained. Even though I didn't know their other guests I always felt welcome and included in the discussions. The afternoon started with their signature nachos consisting of a homemade mixture of jalapenos, ground beef, shredded cheese and other seasonings. He also made homemade guacamole for the nachos that was fantastic. Throughout the day I mixed in bottles of my favorite root beer: Henry Weinhard's. Arguably one of the best root beers you can buy.

I am fortunate to have a wife who knows her sports, who likes to entertain, and who can keep everyone in the room involved while I handle things in the kitchen.  I count on her ability to help all to feel welcome and involved so that I am not left struggling to balance entertaining and cooking all at the same time.

During halftime everyone except PeteRock went outside to play some Bocce Ball. This made for some entertaining and potentially dangerous games depending on how much everyone had been drinking. Fortunately there were no accidents or police called on our occasional rowdy game.

And it wasn't that I didn't want to play, but I was interested in Springsteen's halftime show and I still had to finish double-frying all of the fresh-cut french fries.  We wouldn't have eaten until the post-game festivities if I hadn't kept up with the food and cleanup in the kitchen.

Meanwhile PeteRock stayed inside and dutifully finished making the  Primanti Brothers "sammiches." At the start of the second half we were all treated to our own personalized sammich with choice of capicola or sweet sausage. When someone mentioned that they wouldn't be able to eat a whole sammich and wanted to split one with their significant other the response heard from the kitchen was "Shut your mouth".

ninja

You eat what you're given.  Of all people, I think it was Keith who said that he might have to share a sandwich.  Just a few minutes prior I had to make sure I didn't accidentally get any seasoning on a passing dog or Keith might have inadvertantly eaten one of them as well (I think he may have even accidentally eaten one of Jaime's saltwater fish right out of the tank because it was too close to the food spread).  He was getting a whole sandwich.  Regardless of where it was going to be "shoved." 

They ate their own sammich. All around the room was heard garbled sounds of praise as everyone enjoyed their Primanti Brothers sammiches.

Somewhere in between all this food was a game playing.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Steelers won I think.

Thanks for the kind words.  It pleases me to know that guests enjoyed themselves, and also the food.  Jaime had wanted the official cuisine of Pittsburgh, and so I did all I could to bring a taste of Pittsburgh to the desert of Arizona.  It was her day, and so I wanted her to be able to focus on cheering on her team while someone else handled the food.  If you're going to do something, there's no doing it "half-assed."  Especially for the Super Bowl.  Even if that meant cutting fresh potatoes and double-frying eight batches of fries.  For Jaime to say that my recreated Primanti Brothers sandwich was "pretty damn close" to the original really made all of the work worth it as it's a taste of home for her.  And the grunts and groans of approval from around the room only continued to verify that the food at least came close to living up to the PeteRock reputation.

It made my day to be able to make the day about Jaime and her Steelers.  And so she got to see her Steelers win the Super Bowl, we had a blast with all of our friends, hopefully guests made new friends as I don't believe all have been in the same place together before, and I was able to give Jaime what she wanted.  A Super Bowl party with close friends and the food she associates with her home in Pittsburgh.

Thanks for coming.  All of the guests in attendance helped to make the day what it was.  And it's nice to know all had a nice time.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2009, 08:07:47 PM »

Agreed.  Had the Steelers lost, instead of the fumble call, you'd be hearing about the Ben Roethlisberger touchdown that wasn't and how bad officiating lost them the game.  It's all about perspective and which end of the questionable call your team falls on.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2009, 08:11:12 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 02, 2009, 08:05:37 PM

It made my day to be able to make the day about Jaime and her Steelers. 

waitwaitwaitwaitwait...she likes the Eagles and the Steelers? Is that allowed?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2009, 08:19:28 PM »

If it was so clear-cut then there wouldn't be so many questioning the call.  

It's simple.  Warner must have complete control of the ball prior to his hand moving forward.  It's very clear that Woodley has knocked the ball sideways before Warner's arm moves forward.  In fact, he's still in the motion of taking the football back and starting to go up (cocking the football) to throw it when Woodley hits him (moving the arm forward and knocking the ball loose at the same time).  There's no doubt about it.

Now for those who are complaining about the call, they fall into two groups.

One isn't saying the call was wrong, but that it wasn't reviewed enough.  As if looking at it for 10 minutes might change the outcome.  It wasn't a case of an obscured view (a.k.a. Ben's TD run that they overturned)...there was a clear, unobstructed view of the play.  As such, the booth didn't need multiple replays to know what the correct call was.  This group is a particularly pathetic bunch of whiners because they're trying to use the lack of a lengthy (unnecessary) 10 minute "review" to somehow justify that the refs were biased for the Steelers.  If you want to argue the refs on other calls, fine...but in a game of bad, missed and inconsistent calls, this was one the refs got right.  Trying to use it as a poster child for "proof" that the refs had the fix in is ludicrous

The other group who somehow think it was the incorrect call don't know football.  They think that Warner just had to have the ball in his hand without regard to control.  I don't begrudge this group as much, but they really need to learn the rules, which are quite clear in this case.

-----

But lets just say we live on the planet Make Believe and say it was a pass.  So, as previously noted, the ball hits his OL (#76) before bouncing to the turf.  Either way, the game is OVER at that point because if it's a pass, it's an illegal forward pass.  That takes 10 seconds off the clock because it's an offensive penalty in the last minute of the half.  So if someone actually thought that the Cards were robbed on this play, let's see what they're asking for:

1.  That the refs should have found clear and irrefutable proof to overturn the call on the field of a fumble.
AND IF #1 WAS TRUE:
2.  That the refs should have ignored the illegal forward pass, which would have made the clock expire.
AND IF #2 HAPPENED:
3.  That the unsportmanlike conduct penalty for Farrior removing his helmet should be assessed regardless of the fumble or the illegal forward pass.
AND IF #3 HAPPENED:
4.  That the Cardinals should have gotten the ball on the 29 yard line with time enough for 1 play.

Now that would have been the biggest robbing in sports history since the USSR/USA basketball game in 1972...

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2009, 08:24:36 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 02, 2009, 08:11:12 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on February 02, 2009, 08:05:37 PM

It made my day to be able to make the day about Jaime and her Steelers. 

waitwaitwaitwaitwait...she likes the Eagles and the Steelers? Is that allowed?

For the sake of our marriage, yes.  She supports my Eagles during the season, but she still retains some allegiance to the Steelers.  She started cheering for the Eagles when she started watching football with me and my friends.  The energy level was always so high that she couldn't help but get involved.  She's been a fan ever since.  And she knows more about the Eagles than many of their fans.  She knows the fight song, she travels with me to Philadelphia twice a year to see games, it wasn't even a question that we'd go to the NFC Championship together, and she is always there alongside me yelling at the TV every Sunday.  

I can't begrudge her the Steelers thing as she's from Pittsburgh originally.  But she has always been willing to participate in my support of the Eagles and because she wasn't really much of a football fan when she was younger her allegiance to the Steelers wasn't so strong that she couldn't be influenced a bit.  But it's not something that she was willing to abandon altogether.    

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2009, 08:24:49 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on February 02, 2009, 08:07:47 PM

Agreed.  Had the Steelers lost, instead of the fumble call, you'd be hearing about the Ben Roethlisberger touchdown that wasn't and how bad officiating lost them the game.  It's all about perspective and which end of the questionable call your team falls on.

I think that depends on whether you know the game or not.  If the Steelers had lost, I'd still say the refs sucked.  But because they lost because their #1 defense gave up 2 TDs in the 4th quarter to lose, I'd say they deserved to lose.  I think there were a number of questionable calls, but you have to accept how your team got in position to lose.  As such, the Cards fans should be kicking themselves over letting the Steelers march down the field to win the game, not over a fumble that they'd like to somehow magically turn into an incomplete pass.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2009, 08:44:52 PM »

im pretty sure theres no mention of "control" in the forward pass ruling - the qbs arm just has to be moving forward.  i think the ball could be balancing on his pinky alone - but when the arm moves forward its a pass.  and like was mentioned, warners arm was contacted - theres no way it would have been intentional grounding.  the only reason it was "grounded" was because warner was barely able to muscle his arm forward with the defender on it.  it wasnt like he was going down on a sack and and flicked it forward - he was going to fully extend and throw, but  the guys hand on his arm kept him from generating power - ive never seen plays like that called grounding.  even if it were, with the pitt penalty i'm PRETTY sure they would have offset (i think right?) and the down would have been replayed.  i dont think the offensive penalty, even in the last 2:00, would have taken precedent over the defensive one - its not like 10 seconds would have run off, THEN the plays would offset

the ONLY time plays like that are called fumbles are when "empty hand" comes into effect - which clearly wasnt the case here as warner, well, tossed the ball forward
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »

...the Cards fans should be kicking themselves over letting the Steelers march down the field to win the game, not over a fumble that they'd like to somehow magically turn into an incomplete pass.

That's exactly how I feel.  It never should have come to a desperation play on the part of the Cardinals.

Did I mention I despise Aaron Francisco?
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2009, 08:51:15 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 02, 2009, 08:44:52 PM

im pretty sure theres no mention of "control" in the forward pass ruling - the qbs arm just has to be moving forward.  i think the ball could be balancing on his pinky alone - but when the arm moves forward its a pass. 

You're wrong. 

Since I've now mentioned this link about 3 times and people keep missing it, I'll post the important phrase directly here.

According to NFL VP of Officiating Mike Pereira, the replay official upstairs did see the play clearly.

"We confirmed it was a fumble," said Pereira. "The replay assistant in the replay booth saw it was clearly a fumble. The ball got knocked loose and was rolling in his hand before it started forward. He has to have total control."

Case closed.  Done.  End of story.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2009, 09:15:36 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 02, 2009, 08:24:36 PM

She started cheering for the Eagles

Because she clearly has brain damage.

And she knows more about the Eagles than many of their fans.  She knows the fight song, she travels with me to Philadelphia twice a year to see games, it wasn't even a question that we'd go to the NFC Championship together, and she is always there alongside me yelling at the TV every Sunday.  

Does she want the Iggles to cut McNabb and fire Reid? slywink
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2009, 09:16:46 PM »

i understand why the vp said it, and why he had to say it... i even understand why it wasnt officially reviewed (and it wasnt - they may have looked at it, said it was a fumble and decided NOT to review it - but to claim it was officially reviewed is insane - in comparison, think how long it took to review holmes clear td catch - and this play was MUCH closer than that).  but you cant have a superbowl being decided on an overturn - i completely get that (it would bring the whole "review" process into question, which the nfl is already pretty cautious about)

and i get why the vp said he had to have total control - i just dont think that wording is anywhere in the rules.  id be surprised if it WASNT added in next year, but im pretty sure it isnt in there now.  if it were, thered be no need to have the empty hand rule, because any pass, arm forward or not, where the qb didnt have total control would be a fumble.  and ive seen many, many plays where the qbs arm was going forward while being hit, the ball was moving around and it wasnt even a question that it was an incomplete pass (or, if he basically just spiked it, was intentional grounding)
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2009, 09:33:05 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 02, 2009, 09:16:46 PM

i understand why the vp said it, and why he had to say it... i even understand why it wasnt officially reviewed (and it wasnt - they may have looked at it, said it was a fumble and decided NOT to review it - but to claim it was officially reviewed is insane - in comparison, think how long it took to review holmes clear td catch - and this play was MUCH closer than that).  but you cant have a superbowl being decided on an overturn - i completely get that (it would bring the whole "review" process into question, which the nfl is already pretty cautious about)

and i get why the vp said he had to have total control - i just dont think that wording is anywhere in the rules.  id be surprised if it WASNT added in next year, but im pretty sure it isnt in there now.  if it were, thered be no need to have the empty hand rule, because any pass, arm forward or not, where the qb didnt have total control would be a fumble.  and ive seen many, many plays where the qbs arm was going forward while being hit, the ball was moving around and it wasnt even a question that it was an incomplete pass (or, if he basically just spiked it, was intentional grounding)

Do you have a copy of the official rulebook? The version that is online is just a digest of the rules and leaves out quite a lot of information. I'm not saying you don't, I'm just curious what you are using as your source.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2009, 09:36:32 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 02, 2009, 09:16:46 PM

The first part of your post insinuates that the refs are now making up rules on the fly...do you REALLY want to go there?

The difference between this one and those "many, many plays" is as follows...

Those plays:
1.  QB starts the throwing motion
2.  QB arm moves forward
3.  Arm or ball is hit
4.  QB loses complete control of the ball
5.  Ball pops out
 = incompletion.

Warner:
1.  QB starts the throwing motion
2.  Arm or ball is hit
3.  QB loses complete control of the ball
4.  QB arm moves forward
5.  Ball pops out
 = fumble

It's really not all that difficult.  As such, this play wasn't close at all.  

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2009, 09:43:57 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on February 02, 2009, 09:15:36 PM

Clearly, as she said "I do." 

And she knows more about the Eagles than many of their fans.  She knows the fight song, she travels with me to Philadelphia twice a year to see games, it wasn't even a question that we'd go to the NFC Championship together, and she is always there alongside me yelling at the TV every Sunday.  

Does she want the Iggles to cut McNabb and fire Reid? slywink

She has mixed feelings.  When all of our local fans bash McNabb she's usually the one to come to his defense.  She's a McNabb supporter, and she also knows that given our options he's a decent quarterback.  A bit inaccurate at times, and fairly inconsistent, but when weighing options on the market neither of us are ready for him to go.  Yesterday as guests started showing up she stopped and sadly said, "Awww.  I forgot to invite someone to our party and I doubt he's doing anything else today.  I feel bad."

When I panicked and asked who, she said, "Well, Donovan of course." 

The rumor right now is that Chucky might be approached to come back to Philly to resume his old position as offensive coordinator.  After winning a Super Bowl as a head coach I'm not sure how likely that move might be, but anything is a step up from Morningwheg in my eyes. 

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2009, 11:11:36 PM »

Do you have a copy of the official rulebook? The version that is online is just a digest of the rules and leaves out quite a lot of information. I'm not saying you don't, I'm just curious what you are using as your source.

nope, no official rulebook; id just never heard the "complete control" before.  its never been an issue.

The first part of your post insinuates that the refs are now making up rules on the fly...do you REALLY want to go there?

i dont think the refs made up a rule on the fly - i think the vp created an explanation for why the play wasnt scrutinized more.  and i can completely understand why - does the nfl and even the fanbase WANT a superbowl possibly decided on a booth overturn on the potential last play of the game.  and i think the answer is no.

Warner:
1.  QB starts the throwing motion
2.  Arm or ball is hit
3.  QB loses complete control of the ball
4.  QB arm moves forward
5.  Ball pops out
 = fumble

this case isnt different from the first though - prior to this, the only way a qb fumbled when his arm was moving forward was if he did so with an "empty hand."  if its always been a case of complete control, thered be no need for the empty hand exception, because its redundant.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2009, 01:10:55 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 02, 2009, 11:11:36 PM

Warner:
2.  Arm or ball is hit
4.  QB arm moves forward
5.  Ball pops out
 = fumble

this case isnt different from the first though - prior to this, the only way a qb fumbled when his arm was moving forward was if he did so with an "empty hand."  if its always been a case of complete control, thered be no need for the empty hand exception, because its redundant.

What? Do you even watch football? Whenever they review these type of plays, all they look for is when the ball starts to come out and when the arm moves forward. If the balls starts to come out (i.e. moves) then it is a fumble. It doesn't matter what the QB does at that point. He could push it forward just like Warner did, it's not a pass. Same thing applies to fumbles. If the ball is moving before the player is ruled down by contact, then it is a fumble.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2009, 01:24:25 AM »

NFL Digest of Rules

Protection of Passer

By interpretation, a pass begins when the passer -- with possession of ball -- starts to bring his hand forward. If ball strikes ground after this action has begun, play is ruled an incomplete pass. If passer loses control of ball prior to his bringing his hand forward, play is ruled a fumble.

When a passer is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional movement forward of his arm starts a forward pass. If a defensive player contacts the passer or the ball after forward movement begins, and the ball leaves the passerís hand, a forward pass is ruled, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground or a player.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2009, 01:54:57 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 02, 2009, 11:11:36 PM

nope, no official rulebook; id just never heard the "complete control" before.  its never been an issue.

i dont think the refs made up a rule on the fly - i think the vp created an explanation for why the play wasnt scrutinized more.  and i can completely understand why - does the nfl and even the fanbase WANT a superbowl possibly decided on a booth overturn on the potential last play of the game.  and i think the answer is no.

Warner:
2.  Arm or ball is hit
4.  QB arm moves forward
5.  Ball pops out
 = fumble

As shown above, the aren't nearly the same thing.  As I said before, you're wrong.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2009, 04:00:36 AM »

?

...and he reached back pretty far before even getting to that point
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2009, 04:23:50 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 02, 2009, 09:43:57 PM

Quote from: Eightball on February 02, 2009, 09:15:36 PM

Clearly, as she said "I do." 

+25 points for catching that one.   (applauds)
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2009, 01:33:17 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 03, 2009, 04:00:36 AM

?

...and he reached back pretty far before even getting to that point

Perfect.  Notice his hand has already started to slip off the laces of the ball and the ball hasn't even reached his ear-hole to begin the forward throwing motion. 

Nothing short of a Zapruder Film of the Super Bowl can change the fact that it was the right - and it was an easy - call.  Protest all you like, but that won't change.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2009, 02:01:18 PM »

I think it's the best Super Bowl ever.

-Peter King

Edit:

I think even upon further review, with lots of time to mull things over, I'd still come to the same remarkable conclusion: We just witnessed the best Super Bowl in history. Pittsburgh 27, Arizona 23.

-Don Banks

Edit two:  icon_lol

Can you imagine what NFL Films is going to do with Harrison's miraculous touchdown return, the longest play in Super Bowl history? Before Films is done with it, they'll turn that one play into a four-part mini-series, narrated by Morgan Freeman.

-Don Banks
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:09:06 PM by SensuousLettuce » Logged
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2009, 12:16:27 AM »

not even close to being the best.  It was good, especially in the last 5 minutes, but most certainly not the best.

Last year was clearly better than this year.  The Giants weren't supposed to win, the Patriots were supposed to be undefeated, and the giants suprised nearly everyone and pulled the biggest upset.  Steelers, they beat a team who got hot towards the last part of the season and throughout the playoffs. 

Sorry ATB, you think everything is the best, until the next thing that entertains you. 
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2009, 12:55:01 AM »

I would concede that it was not the absolute best Super Bowl.  But I would not conceded that "It was Not Even Close."  The losing QB puts in a 400+ yard performance, and the winning team pulls of one of the most unlikely series of completed passes in recent memory to drive 70 yards (80 yards considering a penalty) by keeping busted plays alive.

However, I would think one needs to wiki up before one even puts XLII as the best one.  I thought it was better for the upset, but that could sound like youthful lack of familiarity.  There's been 43 of these, after all.

Done posting
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2009, 01:53:08 AM »

To me, it would have been the best had Arizona won...but that's just me.   icon_lol
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2009, 02:23:28 AM »

I don't know if it is best ever, but it is damn close. The game could have gotten out of hand early in the first half, but Arizona battles back and makes it 10-7. Then a batted ball from Big Ben is picked off, and the Cards march down to the 1 yard line. Just when it looks like they are going to go into halftime with the game either tied or, god forbid, the Cards actually winning 14-10, Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison makes the interception, and bumbles all the way down the sideline dodging would be tacklers to score a TD as the half ends. Instead of 14-10 and an upset in the making, it's now 17-7 at halftime. In the third quarter, the Steelers get two first downs inside the Cardinal 5 yard line, and the Card defense stops them cold both times, nearly coming up with an interception. So they head into the fourth quarter with the Steelers lead now 20-7 and it looks like the game is over. But Warner and Fitz finally start making things happen, and they march down the field on the #1 defense in the league and score like it's nothing. Then the Cards down the punt on the 1-yard line, and get a SAFETY to make it 20-16. THEN Fitz breaks his huge TD run and the Cards actually have the lead 23-20 with just 2:36 left to go. The Steelers get the ball and immediately are called for holding, and are backed up to the 12 yard line. But they march down the field and score on one of the greatest catches in Super Bowl history, leaving just over :30 seconds on the clock for Warner to make something happen. When he gets to about midfield, the #1 defense steps up and forces a fumble to end the game.

What more could you ask for in a Super Bowl? Huge defensive plays, goal line stands, two of the greatest TD catches in Super Bowl history, the longest play ever in a Super Bowl, lead changes late in the fourth, a 2:00 drill to win the game...come on!

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2009, 03:11:19 AM »

Quote from: msteelers on February 04, 2009, 02:23:28 AM

I don't know if it is best ever, but it is damn close. The game could have gotten out of hand early in the first half, but Arizona battles back and makes it 10-7. Then a batted ball from Big Ben is picked off, and the Cards march down to the 1 yard line. Just when it looks like they are going to go into halftime with the game either tied or, god forbid, the Cards actually winning 14-10, Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison makes the interception, and bumbles all the way down the sideline dodging would be tacklers to score a TD as the half ends. Instead of 14-10 and an upset in the making, it's now 17-7 at halftime. In the third quarter, the Steelers get two first downs inside the Cardinal 5 yard line, and the Card defense stops them cold both times, nearly coming up with an interception. So they head into the fourth quarter with the Steelers lead now 20-7 and it looks like the game is over. But Warner and Fitz finally start making things happen, and they march down the field on the #1 defense in the league and score like it's nothing. Then the Cards down the punt on the 1-yard line, and get a SAFETY to make it 20-16. THEN Fitz breaks his huge TD run and the Cards actually have the lead 23-20 with just 2:36 left to go. The Steelers get the ball and immediately are called for holding, and are backed up to the 12 yard line. But they march down the field and score on one of the greatest catches in Super Bowl history, leaving just over :30 seconds on the clock for Warner to make something happen. When he gets to about midfield, the #1 defense steps up and forces a fumble to end the game.

What more could you ask for in a Super Bowl? Huge defensive plays, goal line stands, two of the greatest TD catches in Super Bowl history, the longest play ever in a Super Bowl, lead changes late in the fourth, a 2:00 drill to win the game...come on!

sorry, you're a tad bit bias Tongue
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2009, 03:19:52 AM »

Quote from: naednek on February 04, 2009, 03:11:19 AM

One possibility.  Another one is the bias in the scenario can be found elsewhere.  Yet another possibility is that you may be dead inside.

I'd say another possibility is that you don't know a football from a watermellon, but anyone with an avatar of my fellow high school alumni Joe has to be aware of the shape of the ball.

Done posting
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2009, 04:13:59 AM »

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on February 04, 2009, 03:19:52 AM

One possibility.  Another one is the bias in the scenario can be found elsewhere.  Yet another possibility is that you may be dead inside.

I'd say another possibility is that you don't know a football from a watermellon, but anyone with an avatar of my fellow high school alumni Joe has to be aware of the shape of the ball.

wow, you know what they say about making assumptions....

you probably should visit the board more before making ridiculous statements like that. 

I didn't have a stake hold in this years super bowl.  I like the Steelers, they are typically classy, and they're a fun team to watch.  The Cardinals, while they are in the niners division, it was kind of neat seeing them get their chance.  I don't like Warner for many reasons, but this year he had a good year, and he led his team to the big game.  I rooted for the Cardinals, but didn't really care one way or the other.  Part of me wished they won, so that the steelers couldn't take ownership for most superbowl wins, but I'd rather it be them than the cowboys.

As far as you saying I don't know football, that just makes me laugh.

If I was a steelers fan, I'd probably say it was the best one, especially if I was a young fan, not seeing them in the 70's.  Bias is always a factor, and there's nothing wrong with that.  It wasn't a put down to msteelers.  However looking at it objectfully, taking your fandom away from it, and knowing there was a better played game just a year before, is enough for me to say that this year's super bowl was a fun and exciting game, but it wasn't the greatest or the best.  Now, if the Cardinals would have won as an underdog, my opinion might have changed.  I mean, what are the chances that a 9-7 team to go all the way, with all odds against them.   That's why I consider last  years game to be one of the greats, because that's what happened (minus the record)  The Giants weren't supposed to win that game, no way they were going to take down a team who hasn't lost a game all year.  And yet they did, and very dramatically they did.

Anyways, lets take away your snide comments, and since this is solely based on individual opinions, I want to say, congrats to msteelers and the rest,  I'm glad this was one of the best games for you.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2009, 04:35:59 AM »

Quote from: naednek on February 04, 2009, 04:13:59 AM

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on February 04, 2009, 03:19:52 AM

wow, you know what they say about making assumptions....

you probably should visit the board more before making ridiculous statements like that. 

I didn't have a stake hold in this years super bowl.  I like the Steelers, they are typically classy, and they're a fun team to watch.  The Cardinals, while they are in the niners division, it was kind of neat seeing them get their chance.  I don't like Warner for many reasons, but this year he had a good year, and he led his team to the big game.  I rooted for the Cardinals, but didn't really care one way or the other.  Part of me wished they won, so that the steelers couldn't take ownership for most superbowl wins, but I'd rather it be them than the cowboys.

As far as you saying I don't know football, that just makes me laugh.

If I was a steelers fan, I'd probably say it was the best one, especially if I was a young fan, not seeing them in the 70's.  Bias is always a factor, and there's nothing wrong with that.  It wasn't a put down to msteelers.  However looking at it objectfully, taking your fandom away from it, and knowing there was a better played game just a year before, is enough for me to say that this year's super bowl was a fun and exciting game, but it wasn't the greatest or the best.  Now, if the Cardinals would have won as an underdog, my opinion might have changed.  I mean, what are the chances that a 9-7 team to go all the way, with all odds against them.   That's why I consider last  years game to be one of the greats, because that's what happened (minus the record)  The Giants weren't supposed to win that game, no way they were going to take down a team who hasn't lost a game all year.  And yet they did, and very dramatically they did.

Anyways, lets take away your snide comments, and since this is solely based on individual opinions, I want to say, congrats to msteelers and the rest,  I'm glad this was one of the best games for you.

The Pats/Giants game was dreadfully dull except for about 2:45 in the 4th quarter.  It most certainly wasn't a great game.  It was a great upset. 

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2009, 05:54:09 AM »

I'm the first to admit that I'm biased, but what does that have to do with anything in my post? Did none of those things happen? Any one of those plays would have been a big deal in a regular season game by itself. Yet they all happened in one Super Bowl. I'm not saying it's the best ever, because that would absolutely be biased. But I can take off my Steelers hat for a moment and judge the game based on its own merits as well, and it was a fantastic game.

And I've seen all of the old Steelers Super Bowls from the 70's several times. I even have the original radio broadcasts from all four on CD somewhere. This game was way better than all of those.

Edited because I can't count.  retard
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:20:57 PM by msteelers » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: