http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 04:33:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Bowl XLIII  (Read 10087 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2009, 03:38:36 AM »

Cards v. Steelers

I'll leave it to the experts.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:40:18 AM »

Matt Leinart, Superbowl MVP.

gellar
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 03:55:10 AM »

Watching the Cardinals today really made me like them.  I've never seen fitzgerald before the playoffs, but the man is passionate- giving it all he had on every play. Cheering his teammates on.  That was fun to watch. Then there's Kurt Warner. I love his story and I love that it continues.

That said, I see no way the Cards can compete with the Steelers.  As much as I don't like the Steelers, they seem to be healthy and peaking at the right time.  I think they are going to win in a romp.

I want the Cards to win- because when I first started watching football- they were one of my three favorite teams (no- I've not been a fan all 20 years). I want them to win because everyone thought they would lose.  I want them to win because I wanted to see them run the table with a 9-7 record.  That said, I want the steelers to win because of my AFC allegiance and I grew up with the 'NFC is the uber conference' talk and I still hate the conference (2nd year in a row I've cheered for the NFC. I feel dirty).

So I'll be cheering for the Cards but I have no idea how they are going to compete with the Steelers.  Score prediction? 24-14, but I don't think it be that close other than on the scoreboard.

the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 04:06:07 AM »

Quote from: gellar on January 19, 2009, 03:40:18 AM

Matt Leinart, Superbowl MVP.

gellar

If MVP stands for most violated pants, perhaps so.  If he gets in the game, those shorts ought to fill quick.

Done posting
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 04:13:09 AM »

I'll have to support the Cards for two reasons. 1: Never been to the Superbowl, and I think it'd be cool for them to win on the first time and 2: Tim Hightower, watched him play at UR and I am happy to see him have success at the next level.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 04:41:45 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 19, 2009, 03:55:10 AM

That said, I see no way the Cards can compete with the Steelers. 

*sigh*

When will they learn...   Roll Eyes
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 04:43:47 AM »

I like both teams.  I'll be rooting for Pittsburgh to win, but for both teams to have a good game.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:45:37 AM »

That said, I see no way the Cards can compete with the Steelers.  As much as I don't like the Steelers, they seem to be healthy and peaking at the right time.  I think they are going to win in a romp.

Not only is AZ the team that's peaking in these playoffs, the Steelers had injuries to two major offensive players tonight. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 04:51:17 AM »

Steelers, just to watch Gromit cry  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 04:59:32 AM »

Obviously the Steelers' defense is what springs to mind, but do they even have an offense that can reliably put points on the board?  It seems to me they haven't been the same offensively since they won the Super Bowl a few years back, but I don't pay that much attention.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 05:04:40 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 19, 2009, 04:51:17 AM

Steelers, just to watch Gromit cry  icon_twisted

You're evil.  LOL
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 01:53:35 PM »

Quote from: Gromit on January 19, 2009, 04:41:45 AM

*sigh*

If blowing an 18 pt lead to a team that doesn't have nearly the weapons the Steelers do, doesn't give one pause, I don't know what should.  (I'm also guessing you missed the rest of my first post where I said, more or less,

GO Cardinals!)

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 02:18:37 PM »

This is the NFL - any team can compete with any other.

The Cardinals are the 2nd coming of the 1979 LA Rams - a 9-7 team that got hot at the right time.  The Steelers are the most battle-tested team in the NFL, finishing 12-4 against a brutal schedule.  The Cardinals are all about offense, with the guy who I've considered the best WR in theThere's the coaching subplot in this game, with Wiz being passed over for Tomlin in Pittsburgh.  It actually makes for an entertaining setup to the game.

But the old adage that almost always is true is that a good defense beats a good offense.  And the Steelers have a great defense.  The Cards have had problems against a 3-4 defense earlier this year and no one runs it better than Pittsburgh.

On the offensive side, the Steelers have a balanced enough offense to put points on the board. 

Prediction: STEELERS

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 02:23:12 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 19, 2009, 01:53:35 PM

Quote from: Gromit on January 19, 2009, 04:41:45 AM

*sigh*

If blowing an 18 pt lead to a team that doesn't have nearly the weapons the Steelers do, doesn't give one pause, I don't know what should.  (I'm also guessing you missed the rest of my first post where I said, more or less,

GO Cardinals!)

I'd rather look at it this way:  The Cards didn't blow the lead.  Philadelphia made some terrific adjustments at halftime (as they should've), and made it a game.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 02:34:51 PM »

How anyone (other then Gromit) can root for the Cards when the Steelers have the opportunity to pass the COWBOYS for most SB wins ever is beyond me. Folks, they can shut the Cowboys up. That's gotta mean something to everyone! slywink

Anyway, as for the game, I've underestimated the Cards throughout the playoffs and I'm not going to do it again. I would normally predict a traditional Super Bowl blowout, but I think it will be a very close game. I still think the Steelers will win, on the strength of their defense which is unlike anything the Cards have seen, but it will be a tight one.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »

Wow. I'm still coming down from yesterday's games. I lost my mind during way too many moments in the Steelers and Ravens game. Here's my very early analysis of Super Bowl XLIII.

Cards:

Amazing offense lead by Fitzgerald who has had a hall of fame type run through the playoffs. In order for them to beat the Panthers and the Eagles it was said that Fitzgerald would have to have career games in each, and he did...in the first half  icon_eek The key to their success hasn't been just the passing game, the defense has provided a short field by making the opposing quarterbacks make mistakes, and they've relied more on the rushing game.

But what impressed me the most watching the NFC Championship game was the way Warner and his receivers read the Eagles blitz packages, and almost always ran the perfect hot routes. It was ridiculous.

Steelers:

Big Ben is turning into a big time quarterback, even if he wins ugly. His receivers take time to get open, and Ben provides that by shifting around in the pocket and keeping plays alive long after the play should be over. As long as the game is close, I trust Ben to at least give us a chance to win. Ward is very important to this offense, but the Steelers offense still got it done with him sitting on the sideline after that injury early in the game. His mentality has carried on though in rookie Limas Sweed, who delivered one of the nastiest hits of the night, and made some big catches (after dropping a sure TD). Willie Parker looks healthy again, despite his 47 yards against the Ravens. How can I say he looks good after getting just 47 yards? Well, because based on how tough the Ravens D is, and Parkers history playing them, I said before the game that anything close to 50 yards was going to be a good game, 60 yards would be a fantastic game.

Oh, and a nasty defense. That's all that needs to be said about it.

Keys to the game:

- If the Cardinals offense can handle the Steelers blitz like they did the Eagles' blitz, then Fitzgerald will have another career night and a Super Bowl MVP trophy. However, they wont be able to make such easy reads this time, as the Steelers are the masters at hiding where the blitz is coming from, unlike the Eagles who seemingly used the Goodyear blimp to call their defensive plays down to the field. For the Steelers, they need to put pressure on Warner and get some hits on him early. History has shown that if you hit him, he WILL turn the ball over at some point. Right now Warner is in control and is looking like a stud again. Make him feel uncomfortable in the pocket, and start second guessing himself, and he could have multiple turnovers in the game.

- If the Steelers can establish the run with Willie Parker, then everything else on the offense falls into place. They will chew up the clock and keep Fitzgerald off the field, and open up the passing game. Even with the Steelers Defense, I expect the Cardinals to be able to score at least 2 or 3 touchdowns. If the Steelers can get the running game going, then they should be able to match that and at the very least keep the game from getting out of hand. For the Cardinals defense, they have thrived this post season because of turnovers from the opposing quarterbacks. In games when Willie Parker has 100 yards, Ben has thrown 4 TD's and 1 INT for a QB rating of 103.4. In the games when Parker didn't rush for 100 yards, he has 13 TD's, 14 INT's, and a rating of 72.5. Taking away Parker greatly increases the chances of a mistake by Ben, which the Cards will need to help out their offense.

I am very excited about this game. I'm nervous because the Cards are going to be BIG underdogs heading into this game, but regardless it should be a good game.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 04:51:48 PM »

I hate the two week break before the Super Bowl.  BOO TWO WEEKS!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 06:34:52 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 19, 2009, 04:51:48 PM

I hate the two week break before the Super Bowl.  BOO TWO WEEKS!

Agreed. But it does give everyone time to rest and heal up so it's kinda cool for them.
BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 01:46:49 PM »

I'm picking the Cardinals. And no, it's not because everyone else is picking the Steelers.

What I saw in the game against the Eagles was incredibly intelligent play design and play calling in the first half. Jim Johnson is a defensive wizard, and he was way outcoached by the Cardinals O-coordinator in that first half. The Eagles made some adjustments at half and their O stepped up and made it a game, but when it mattered, the Cards went back to their smart playcalling and put together a drive that will be long remembered by all who watched that game. Like the Eagles, the Steelers like to bring the heat. I like Warner's ability to read that pre-snap and hit the hot route. And when they hit a hot route, it's not a 6 yard gain...it's Fitzgerald catching the ball in space and running 40 yards after the catch.

The major question for the Cardinals i think is the run game. Again...i will go back to the Eagles. The Eagles let Adrian Peterson score two touchdowns, but for most of the day kept him in check. They shut down the Giants run game when it mattered. The Cardinals ate up yards on the ground against the Eagles. That was very unexpected...and it was when they started doing that I figured the Eagles were in deep trouble.

If the Cardinals can figure out a way to get some yards on the ground they'll win the game.

I'm going Cards 24-16.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 04:10:45 PM »

Quote from: BEEFHAMMA on January 27, 2009, 01:46:49 PM

Like the Eagles, the Steelers like to bring the heat

Unlike the Eagles, the Steelers bring the heat with 4-5 players instead of 6 to 8 and nobody has run successfully on the Steelers

Done posting
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 04:14:37 PM »

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on January 27, 2009, 04:10:45 PM

Unlike the Eagles, the Steelers bring the heat with 4-5 players instead of 6 to 8

Yea, there are some fundamental differences between the two defences.  Not the least of which is the Eagles play a 4/3 versus the 3/4 of the Steelers.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but BEEF's analysis is a bit lacking.

I really think the Cards are going to have trouble moving the ball.  First things first...you must stop the wide runs against Arizona.  The Eagles allowed the Cards to get a couple of good runs early in the first half and it set the tone for the game.  If they're able to do that against Pittsburgh, it may be a long day for Steelers fans.  But I don't see that as being very likely.  For all everyone is saying about the Cards vaunted offense, they finished only 4th in the league in total offense and a dismal dead last in rushing offense. 

Warner does not like pressure in his face.  He's vulnerable to fumbling from the blind-side blitz, but he tends to get happy feet when he can't step up.  So I'd expect a heavy dose of interior stunts designed to break Foote, Farrior or Timmons free.  Once we get some interior pressure and Arizona reacts, watch our ILBs drop back while Harrison / Woodley are set free from the outside.

In the backfield, expect a fair amount of 5 DB sets on 2nd and 3rd down, where McFadden and Taylor are disrupting the WRs closer to the line of scrimmage.  Unlike many teams, our 6-0 and 6-1 DBs are big enough that the mid-ranged "jump balls" that Warner throws under pressure won't nearly be as effective as they were against the smaller Eagles CBs.  Deshea will play as a safety net with Ryan Clark.  Watch Farrior and Foote take away the inside slant/TE while Troy plays a mix of coverages.  They're going to be able to mix it up and Warner has always had challenges with the 3-4 defense.  He doesn't see them a lot and they tend to take away the quick passing routes he prefers.  This years' Steelers squad may be the best team ever at running the 3-4.  As long the Steelers tackle well - and they're an excellent tackling team - they should be able to shut down the Cards. 

Stranger things have happened, but I don't worry about Az's offense.  I think the key to the game is the Pittsburgh offense not turning the ball over and "holding serve" on special teams (which is the one place I think the Cards have a decided advantage).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:21:06 PM by Blackadar » Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 11:39:33 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 27, 2009, 04:14:37 PM

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on January 27, 2009, 04:10:45 PM

Unlike the Eagles, the Steelers bring the heat with 4-5 players instead of 6 to 8

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but BEEF's analysis is a bit lacking.

story of my life man, story of my life. smile

i'm just going from what i saw in the Eagles game...I'm no expert. Their playcalling was incredible. And you guys are right...the Steelers CAN do with 4 or 5 what it takes the Eagles 6, 7, or maybe even 11.  retard
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 11:56:34 PM »

As I have little interest in the game itself, I'm instead focusing my attention on our food offerings for the day.  My wife is originally from Pittsburgh and so she has asked that I prepare a famous Pittsburgh staple.  For the Chicago/Indy Super Bowl we shipped in hot dog supplies and deep dish pizza straight from Chicago.  For the Patriots/Giants game we made thin crust pizza and flew in lobsters from New England.  Unfortunately, as food in Arizona is pretty pathetic, and there really isn't a specific regional cuisine the area is famous for, we're left with the cuisine of Pittsburgh.

And so we will be making homemade Primanti Brothers "sammiches." 

I'll be making fresh coleslaw with Primanti's standard recipe, we're going to fry our own fresh-cut French fries, and we'll be setting up our multi-burner griddle to prepare the various meats and fried eggs (capicola and sweet sausage, mainly as they're our two favorite meat options when in Pittsburgh).  Fresh-cut soft Italian bread topped with fried capicola or sweet sausage, melted provolone, fresh-cut French fries, a fried egg, coleslaw, sliced tomatoes, and sliced onions.

Hell.  Yes.   drool   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 05:10:38 AM »

Interesting breakdown on NFL salaries. No surprise that the Cowboys are in first place, but the Raiders in 2nd?! I guess throwing money at a problem doesn't always help. The other big surprise is that the Cardinals are #11. The Bidwells have a reputation here in Phoenix of running their team on the cheap.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 07:00:59 AM »

That sandwich looks divine.

Except for the tomatoes.  Fuck tomatoes.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 08:04:53 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on January 30, 2009, 07:00:59 AM

That sandwich looks divine.

Except for the tomatoes.  Fuck tomatoes.

Speak up, I can't hear dead people.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 11:23:37 AM »

Won't be watching.  I hate the Squeelers that much....   mad

Can't watch them win another SB....

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 04:46:38 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 30, 2009, 11:23:37 AM

Won't be watching.  I hate the Squeelers that much....   mad

Can't watch them win another SB....

Imagine being a Baltimore fan and living in Pittsburgh.  I figured you were still dealing with the sting of a tough AFC Championship loss as I continue to feel nauseous every time I see another Cardinals flag waving from a passing vehicle.  Two weeks ago you wouldn't have even known the area had a team, and now all of a sudden the valley is "stricken with Cardinal fever."  Every time I catch game "highlights" from the NFC Championship it brings back the memory of sitting in that stadium watching my season come to a close.   

At least living in Philly, when we lost the entire city was in mourning.  Here I'm part of a team fanbase from another part of the country, and I am surrounded by alleged fans of a team who beat the Eagles to knock them out of Super Bowl contention. 

It continues to sting.  I had no intentions of watching the Super Bowl this year (I didn't watch in 2001, 2002, or 2003 following losses in the NFC Championship), but friends begged us to have a party and so I'll be focusing my attention on the grub (kick-ass nachos and Primanti Brothers "sammiches") while my wife cheers on her home-town team the Stillers.  At least I can watch fellow Jersey-boy Bruce Springsteen at halftime.  Usually I couldn't care less about the halftime show, but I'm looking foward to watching Springsteen.

Outside of that, at least there will be beer.  Lots and lots of beer.   

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 04:59:31 PM »

I'm rooting for Card-Pitt and hoping we crush the Jerries real soon.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 05:45:46 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 30, 2009, 04:46:38 PM

At least I can watch fellow Jersey-boy Bruce Springsteen at halftime.  Usually I couldn't care less about the halftime show, but I'm looking foward to watching Springsteen.
Not having any attachment to The Boss I found this comment from another New Jersey native amusing:

Why Springsteen? Is Gary Glitter still stuck in Thailand? Is Buddy Holly not returning the NFL's phone calls?

I grew up in Monmouth County, New Jersey, which contains both Springsteen's hometown (Freehold) and his early haunt (Asbury Park), so I can't stand him in the same way that only a New Yorker can really, really hate the Yankees. I'll say this much about the Boss: His output over the past 25 years or so would make even Beethoven nostalgic for the first few albums. Springsteen is in that elite group of rock stars who have objectively sucked two, three, or even four times longer than they were ever any good (are you listening Sting, David Bowie, R.E.M., Patti Smith?). That, and in the video for "Glory Days," he had the worst fake baseball throwing arm since Gary Cooper in Pride of the Yankees. Which is saying something.

Watching Springsteen perform at the Super Bowl—and before him, rock mummies like Tom Petty and Rolling Stones—let's just say I'd rather go straight to the Bodies exhibition, where at least no one is pretending that the corpses on display aren't actually dead.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 05:48:30 PM »

Usually those residents are killed and eaten.  He probably doesn't have long. 

BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 02:36:29 PM »

i could eat that sandwich in 4 bites. you shipping one out my way???
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 08:35:01 PM »

Unfortunately, as food in Arizona is pretty pathetic, and there really isn't a specific regional cuisine the area is famous for

Uh, hello?  eek You must not eat out very often...
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 11:10:23 PM »

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCE!

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 02:31:55 AM »

yeah Bruce!

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on January 31, 2009, 08:35:01 PM

Unfortunately, as food in Arizona is pretty pathetic, and there really isn't a specific regional cuisine the area is famous for

We do, and having come from Philadelphia, the food in Arizona does not even compare. 

Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 01, 2009, 04:07:19 PM

We do, and having come from Philadelphia, the food in Arizona does not even compare. 

It's two completely different cultures...you can't really compare the food types.  I was raised on Arizona cuisine, and I'd probably say the same thing about East Coast food as you're saying about Arizona's.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 10:17:16 PM »

Quote from: Gromit on February 01, 2009, 05:50:30 PM

It's two completely different cultures...you can't really compare the food types.  I was raised on Arizona cuisine, and I'd probably say the same thing about East Coast food as you're saying about Arizona's.

Gromit-

I'm curious: what is Arizona cuisine? I lived in Scottsdale for 7 years (true I was young) but I don't remember anything being labeled 'Arizona cuisine'. El Pollo Asado maybe? slywink  Mother Tuckers? Pinacle Peak Patio?
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 11:25:28 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 01, 2009, 10:17:16 PM

Quote from: Gromit on February 01, 2009, 05:50:30 PM

Gromit-

I'm curious: what is Arizona cuisine? I lived in Scottsdale for 7 years (true I was young) but I don't remember anything being labeled 'Arizona cuisine'. El Pollo Asado maybe? slywink  Mother Tuckers? Pinacle Peak Patio?

I would characterize it as Mexican, generally speaking.

Although I don't mind a good steak and a cheap tie at Pinnacle Peak. smile
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 11:39:50 PM »

if the opening drive is any indication, this is going to be a rout. 

challenge called?  best of luck to you there az.

and az gets it.  interesting.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 11:42:42 PM by Caine » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: