http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:11:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for a great mattress  (Read 324 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2014, 08:04:47 AM »

I'm looking to get a new mattress, so some suggestions would be appreciated. Currently I have some random Sealy model that I purchased at Menards several years ago. Either I'm getting older, or this mattress is getting crappier. smile

I still haven't decided on a budget. I have a hard time believing that mattress costing thousands of dollars can be that much better than their less expensive cousins, but I'm open to counter-arguments. I'm leaning toward memory foam at the moment, but nothing is certain yet.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:06:19 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »

I have no idea which one you should buy, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware that mattress prices are like car prices.  You are entirely expected to haggle to an extreme degree.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 05:53:55 PM »

Several places have pressure point mesuring systems that can give you a good idea of firmness best suits your body type.  Basically I did learn that most people want ultra soft when they really need firmness.  Support is very important and a lot of peoples back pains are due to lack of proper support while sleeping.  A few years ago I was in the same boat as you.   I had a crappy Sealy and it was killing my back.  I ended up going with a very nice firm Stearns and Foster from Sears.  Its a Latex topped inner coil hybrid.  My back pain disappeared in about a week and Ive slept 1000% better since I changed.  As far as price, yeah dicker with them.  The mattress I bought listed at almost 4k but I bought it for $1750.  MSRP on mattresses is totally out of whack.  Best advice I can give you is to do your research and personally test out several model types and firmness types.  Also understand that while a firmer bed may feel harder than youre used to at first, you will become used to it and be better for the firmness.  Good luck in your search, I can honestly say that doing the work to buy the right mattress pays off big time.  Oh one last thing, mattress salesmen can be like used car salesman.  If you dont like the direction the guy is steering you or you feel he isnt working with you, walk away.  Theres tons of mattress stores out there, find a better and more helpful salesperson.  PS:  I went to Sears after checking out several other places.  They dont work on commission like most mattress salespeople and I found them very helpful, unlike those other places where the salesperson is motivated to get you sold and the move on to the next commission as quickly as possible.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 06:02:51 PM »

See if there are any dealers for non-TempurPedic memory foam mattresses near you. TempurPedic is silly expensive, but you can get good deals if you don't get the original brand. We got ours from Bob's Discount Furniture, a New England chain, and it is crazy comfortable. You can go try it out in the store, of course, and they come in a variety of firmness.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 06:46:30 PM »

One thing I will definitely recommend against is Sleep Number.  A while back when I was dealing with insomnia I switched to one of these and while at first it seemed to be a really cool solution with all sorts of unique features for variation, now it just seems annoying.  Not to mention the horrendous amount of money I spent on it, but I was so desperate at that point I would have paid anything.  Maybe I'm just unlucky or need to get it repaired, but it seems to deflate and give inconsistent feeling, even after I "reboot" it (refill to 100% and then shift down to my number).  And since it's got two sides, there's often like a rift in the middle and sometimes it feels like it sinks me into it lol.  

Long story short, I'm probably also in the market for a new bed too, so I'm curious to hear what people are recommending.  
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 03:13:00 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 03, 2014, 02:05:51 PM

I have no idea which one you should buy, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware that mattress prices are like car prices.  You are entirely expected to haggle to an extreme degree.

Yes. And oddly enough the mattress industry is even sleazier than the car industry. For example, did you know that the major manufacturers give the exact same product different names and model numbers in each retail outlet to prevent price-matching? Unlike car dealers, it's very hard to play one store against another.

We bought our last one at Sleepy's, which we started calling Sleazy's when we realized how negotiable their prices are.

One thing I learned is that pillow-top mattresses are designed to prevent you from extending its life by flipping it over. Put a pad on a normal mattress instead.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 04:33:23 AM »

We have a tempurpedic bed with a topper.  It was 5k when it was new.  It's miserably hot during the summer here in Phx, and this tempurpedic material doesn't help with that.  If you go with a tempurpedic, get one with the cooling tech in it and some cooling sheets. 

On the topic of the pricing thing - we got a mattress from one of those "random mattress R Us" in a shopping mall places for our spare room.  They had a king sized 500 dollar mattress for 200 bucks, including frame.  Why?  It got rubbed against during shipping and the logo was a little roughed up.  Entirely cosmetic and covered by a sheet. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 04:57:32 AM »

I also have a Tempurpedic and we love it (granted we don't live in hellish heat like Ron though). Temperature does affect them (colder temps make them more firm, warmer temps = more soft) with the goal of your body heat making it form to you.

zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 12:31:51 PM »

My wife and I like very firm mattresses. Much better for the back. So instead of paying Sealy or someone some ridiculous amount for a thing with springs and coils and 450-count Egyptian cotton ExtraFluffy stitching, we have this sucker sitting on a simple slat base:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00139851/#/40196496
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 03:44:22 PM »

Whichever one your mom has is really comfortable! headbang headbang3 dude

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 05:47:05 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 04, 2014, 03:44:22 PM

Whichever one your mom has is really comfortable! headbang headbang3 dude

oh, burn. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 12:14:45 AM »

The mattress I bought took almost an hour to pick, because I tried every one at the store. If you have one side where it's uncomfortable to lay on, use that side to check the mattress out. Take your time and don't be rushed. Avoid mattresses that are too hard - they cut off the circulation in your arms and you end up smacking yourself in the face when you roll over.  icon_eek
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 11:10:50 PM »

Have had a Dormia memory foam for about 5 years and I think it's great. It really helped with some back aches I was having.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: