http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 01:15:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Subway to remove chemical from bread  (Read 477 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:48:02 AM »

Subway said today it is removing a chemical used in yoga mats and shoe soles from the bread of it its popular sandwiches after a food blogger got more than 50,000 signatures in a petition drive.

"The complete conversion to have this product out of the bread will be done soon," Subway said in a statement. The company said the move had nothing to do with the protest and that it was "already in the process of removing azodicarbonamide as part of our bread improvement efforts."

But Vani Hari, the activist blogger who takes credit for the removal of yellow dyes in at least three of Kraft's Mac & Cheese products for children, was declaring victory after she had been researching the company's bread ingredients since 2012.

"I commend Subway for finally responding to me and now over 57,000 concerned citizens. Their swift action is a testament to what power petitions and individuals who sign them can have," Hari said. "I'd like to note that current Subway sandwiches still have this ingredient, and urge everyone not to eat their sandwich bread until they have finally removed the chemical."

Hari said she was shocked to find azodiacarbonamide, a plastic-based additive, on Subways' food labeling.

The World Health Organization has linked this chemical additive to respiratory issues, allergies and asthma, and it is banned in Europe and Australia. Azodiacarbonamide is legal in the United States and Canada.

"It helps ... produce the air within the foam of a yoga mat," said Hari. "It does the same thing for bread."

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/protesters-target-subway-chemical-sandwich-bread/story?id=22373414

Had no idea they were using this in their bread until today, and I usually eat at Subway once a week. Good to know Subway is changing it.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:51:22 AM »

Now all I can think about is that how many shoe soles and yoga mats I've eaten.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 02:08:21 AM »

Wiki

Azodicarbonamide is used as a food additive, a flour bleaching agent and improving agent. It reacts with moist flour as an oxidizing agent. The main reaction product is biurea, a derivative of urea, which is stable during baking.
In the United States, azodicarbonamide has generally recognized as safe (GRAS) status and is allowed to be added to flour at levels up to 45 ppm.
In the UK, the Health and Safety Executive has identified azodicarbonamide as a respiratory sensitizer (a possible cause of asthma) and determined that products should be labeled with "May cause sensitisation by inhalation." The World Health Organization has linked azodicarbonamide to "respiratory issues, allergies and asthma." Britain, Europe, and Australia now ban its use in food.

Toxicological studies of the reactions of azodicarbonamide show that it is rapidly converted in dough to biurea, which is a stable compound not decomposed upon cooking.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 04:14:30 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 06, 2014, 12:51:22 AM

Just look at it this way -- we've all been doing yoga all this time and we didn't realize it!   bowdown

Now go tell me what industrial chemicals are in their Flatizzas before I try one  icon_smile
http://www.subway.com/Menu/MenuCategoryItems.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&MenuTypeId=1&MenuId=57

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 04:16:12 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 06, 2014, 04:14:30 AM

Just look at it this way -- we've all been doing yoga all this time and we didn't realize it!   bowdown
you look famished from all that exercise, you should have a sandwich  icon_twisted

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 05:30:06 AM »

Quote from: Caine on February 06, 2014, 04:16:12 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on February 06, 2014, 04:14:30 AM

Just look at it this way -- we've all been doing yoga all this time and we didn't realize it!   bowdown
you look famished from all that exercise, you should have a sandwich  icon_twisted

Bring your own!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 10:42:03 AM »

That had a certain sexual ring to it.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 01:59:50 PM »

So THAT'S why subways smell like chemicals...seriously. Always wondered.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 02:17:19 PM »

I live in an area with Quiznos close by again, so forget Subway (I like Subway, but Quiznos' bread is far superior, and we all know that the bread is the most important part of a sandwich).
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »

All the quiznos near me disappeared years ago.  Not sure why though.  The toasted italian sub was fantastic...and I'm guessing it was because of the "flavor chemicals" they added.

Subway has always been my least favorite sandwich place.  Jimmy Johns is far superior, imho.  Although they do make a wicked chicken soup.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 02:59:41 PM »

Quiznos is disappearing because a) Subway figured out how to toast sandwiches, and b) Subway charges a lot less.

People are going to go where it costs less to eat, quality be damned.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 03:11:15 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on February 06, 2014, 02:59:41 PM

Quiznos is disappearing because a) Subway figured out how to toast sandwiches, and b) Subway charges a lot less.

People are going to go where it costs less to eat, quality be damned.

But, even toasted, subways bread is just so....meh.

I think it's more in that Subway is everywhere. There seems to be at least 2 Subways within one mile of wherever I am in the country. You can't get away from them. Quiznos also shot themselves in the foot long ago with that advertising campaign that put a bunch of people off of them.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 06:41:46 PM »

I had a Veggie Flatizza (the Subway folks look confused unless you say "pizza", clearly not attuned to their own marketing) for lunch today. It was crispy and OK. I think if they'd let us sprinkle a bit of Romano cheese and some crushed red paper for flavor, it might sparkle a bit more. The manager wanted to grill me on my thoughts on it, I guess not many folks are ordering it and she's skeptical about it.

I meant to tell her, "Except for the yoga mat-shoe sole after taste, it's great!"   icon_razz

While I agree Quiznos' stuff is far tastier, I stopped eating there due to the crazy over the top sodium amounts in virtually everything they offer. Only way around it a bit is to get their smallest size sandwiches and I just didn't find that filling enough. I don't fixate on low sodium, which at times is just impossible eating out, just on something moderate (say, under 900 mg, vs. 1800, 2500 etc., very common at fast food/deli places). Even supposedly healthier places like Panera, their deli meats are so soaked in salt, the sodium levels can be just crazy.

I admit though I spent maybe the first 45 years of my life not even paying any attention to any of that stuff and my health stayed OK.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:45:29 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: