http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 05:03:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupidity in america, It's Hop Hop's fault?  (Read 882 times)
Semaj
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2006, 08:11:45 PM »

Now I am trying to avoid this going into a debate on how crappy america or society is.  I'm just wondering if I am off my rocker for believing what I believe.  So lets avoid this going into a flamewar, I just want to know if anything I said makes any kind of sense.

The other day, some moron who has anonymity and a account on a message board posted something saying Hip Hop is a direct threat to the growth of kids today.  He said it should be banned and not allowed to influence kids.  This boggled my mind, so I retorted with some of what you will read below.   This is all from the hip, so excuse me if this isn't as polished as I prefer... So here we go...

To blame hiphop for what ails the youth of today is like saying spray cans are the reason for the depletion of the ozone layer. Sure, they might have played a part, but the problem is not just on one thing.

We have parents too lazy to deal with tier kids, so they plop them down in front of tv and send em off to school, hoping someone else will do all the things they should be doing when it comes to raising their kids. We got people who wont take responsibility for what's wrong. Simply put, it's Hip Hop's fault my kid is having sex at the age of 15.  No, it's not because you never sat em down and taught em right from wrong and showed them the consequences of their actions. No, it's not because you leave them alone at home from 3 to 6 everyday with nothing to do and no adult supervision. No, it's not because you wont discipline your kids. It's (Video Games/Music/TV)'s fault.

There are so many things wrong with how parents raise kids now a days, I cant imagine it doesn't have a lot to do with what is wrong.  Outside influences do have a say on how your kid grows up, they are influences after all.  However they are just influences and there is one group of individuals who influence the way someone comes out more than any other.  Thats right boys n girls, the parents do.  Other role models have a large say as well, but parents control how well adjusted or unadjusted a kid will be.

In the 80's we had bad rap music at first, like MC Hammer and Will Smith.  Then gangster rap took control for the rest of the decade. We had 80's hair bands singing about sex and drugs n rock n roll. My parents however felt the need to beat my ass whenever I was dumb enough to do something that deserved punishment. Whether it was getting into fights at school or doing bad things at home. I knew that if I did something, there would be consequences I didn't like.

Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). People said an expert should know what he's talking about. And people said OK. Now they're asking themselves why their children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Is it his fault? No, but he helped.   Thats right everyone, not beating your kids is just as bad as taking out ye old belt after they beat up their brother or sister for changing the channel.  However, it's not just a lack of discipline that is messing up society as we know it.

I got through fuck the police, I got through straight outta compton, 2 live crew didn't destroy my childhood. I got through the 80's the 90's and the 2000's so far just fine. I am not warped, maladjusted or unable to see the difference between right and wrong.

What is amazing is when you watch a tv show like leave it to beaver, you think it's a tv show and no one acted like that.  Well people did.  Thats right, we didn't all lock our doors at night.  When the neighborhood bully took Billy's bike, Billy's dad called his dad and the bully caught a hell of beating from his father.  Everyone knew everyone else on the block.  Now, no one speaks to each other, if there is a problem, the police have to settle it, not the people involved.  We are moving away from the whole concept of a friendly mentality into one of "trust no one".

We glorify everything thats wrong with out society.  Soap Opera's are all about glorifying some of the worst problems in society today.  Yet no one complains about how much they warp the nature of young girls into believe it's ok to have random sex whenever they want with whomever they want..  No one talks about how bad country music is.  Sure, they have good songs supporting america, but have a ton of songs about drinking and how much they prefer (Fishing/Getting Drunk/Their Truck) to a woman.  Nowadays the major difference between rap music and country is the people listening to it more than anything else.  I wont even get into all the different forms of metal out there...

Yet somehow this is still all hip hop's fault.  Thats right, it's more hip hop's fault than anything else I have mentioned.  Or so people would have you believe.  Yet i believe something else, and that is: This isn't hip hops fault, this society has been fucking up well before someone like 50 cent ever got a voice. Saying anything to the contrary is narrow minded and equally as stupid.

Take it easy people.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 08:26:33 PM »

LOL what's wrong with country music? Just because they drink, fish, and have a truck? C'mon now!  icon_wink

I wouldn't sweat it about this guy, blaming hip-hop on kids problems today is no different than blaming video games, or any other means of entertainment.
Personally, I don't really care for hip hop. I grew up on rock, and even some country, but for every argument against hip hop, it can be said just the same for rock (drugs & sex was the motto back in the days) so it'd be hyprocritical to condemn hip hop, and yet, still listen to rock.
This guy must listen to classicial opera or something (not that's there anything wrong with that) because if he's listening to anything else, his argument is even less valid.

Seriously though, I wouldn't read too much into some anonymous dude's opinion because it's just that, an opinion. It'd be like some of us video game fans here taking it too personally when Jack Thompson (who isn't even anonymous) launches his latest anti-videogame crusade.
Yeah it's unfortunate that this idiot actually believes the rhetoric he spews, but it is America, and he has the right to do it, just like we have the right to play games or listen to whatever kind of music we want to.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 09:03:22 PM »

The only thing wrong is your title says Hop Hop.  nod

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 12:23:01 AM »

I thought this thread was going to be about someones crazy pet frog

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 12:17:22 PM »

Semaj, I agree with you...  Even in the 80's they wanted parental advisory tags, and blamed video games for stuff.  A lot of it comes down to parental responsibilty.  I know sometimes a bad kid comes out of a good home; it happens.  But nowadays with the TV babysitting and in the other time parents forcing kids into 10 sports, music programs and everything at a young age; nevermind parental guilt in some cases and letting kids get away with anything they want...

I'm not a parent yet, only an uncle, so maybe I'm in for a rude awakening once I have kids.  But I listened to the musical threats of the 80s (Anthrax, Iron Maiden, Metallica before they sucked, etc).  And aside from Poison, Warrent and the like, nothing from then did any permenant damage. 

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 12:29:10 PM »

I agree with what he is saying also, its silly to blame a genre of music for the behavior of kids.......BUT, I will say that the "hip-hop" mentality, that is preached by some of these artists, is 180 degrees opposite from what youth need to hear. As gullible as they are, telling them that its cool to sell/use drugs and pimp women for money is counterproductive, as is the constant talk of violence that some seem infatuated with. It's the something for nothing message that bothers me, along with the DREADFUL "fashion style", and I use that term loosely, that accompanies it.

PULL YOUR FUCKING PANTS UP!!!!!!!!!!!

It still goes back to the parents though, because like he said, they aren't doing there job, and ultimately its their responsibility. I listen to a few hip-hop artists and enjoy a song here and there, but would I want my son (who is only 6 now thank goodness) to emulate anything these guys say? HELL NO. Thats why its gonna be my wife and I's job to steer him down the right path.

One thing I have to disagree with though is this:

Nowadays the major difference between rap music and country is the people listening to it more than anything else.  I wont even get into all the different forms of metal out there...

Big difference, and even though I am not a fan of country music, I hear it a lot here in our office, and trust me, nothing said in country music comes close to being the negative influence that hip-hop CAN BE. Sure there are some drinking songs and some "wife left me so lets go raise hell" songs, but you take your average Tim McGraw or Toby Keith album and put it up against Ludacris and Eminem and then try to tell me the messages are equally bad.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 12:33:02 PM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 12:49:04 PM »

I heard a great song on country music radio just the other day.  Something like "She only loves me for my tractor".  I do enjoy some country music; that however just made me laugh.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 01:21:57 PM »

The other day I was driving my wife's car. She listens to C&W. I was in a pretty good mood leaving. By the time I got home I was depressed and somehow,somewhere along the line bought a six pack of beer.
I haven't had any beer in a year and didn't go out for any.

Isn't hip hop what Peter Cottontail does on the bunny trail?

And just what the hell is a "bunny trail"?

Ye Olde Farte
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 01:57:29 PM »

Quote from: jblank on September 20, 2006, 12:29:10 PM

As long as your talking about the guys, I agree with you. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 01:59:53 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on September 20, 2006, 01:57:29 PM

Quote from: jblank on September 20, 2006, 12:29:10 PM

As long as your talking about the guys, I agree with you. icon_biggrin

I can answer that in the affirmative. nod

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 02:26:27 PM »

Good post Semaj.

Why don't many of these parents spend time with their kids? 
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 03:13:36 PM »

It's parenting.  Parents need to care more, and get involved with their kids.  If you are going to let your kids play videogames all day, play them with them at least.  Be involved.  There isn't an excuse for letting kids get out of control, overweight, etc. beyond bad parenting.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 03:21:53 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on September 20, 2006, 12:23:01 AM

I thought this thread was going to be about someones crazy pet frog
I misread it as 'Bob Hopes fault'..... :icon_eek:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: