http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:38:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid telemarketers  (Read 1544 times)
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2005, 02:49:45 AM »

So I got a call from a woman claiming to be a handicap person working a telemarketing job selling freaking lightbulbs. I wasn't really interested, but I stayed on the phone because she wouldn't give a word in edge wise. She finished up by saying, "Remember, I'm handicapped and you buying lightbulbs helps keep me employeed."  

Holy crap that pissed me off. I just wanted to scream into the phone "No it doesn't beotch! You being a hard worker keeps you employeed!"

I hate it when telemarketers try to pull the sypathy card on you. The same goes for civil service fund raisers. "Do you want to support your police officers this year?" That shit makes me hot. I pay my freaking taxes. God damnit. I would almost buy their crap if they didn't try to play me for the sucker.

Oh, and that lightbulb lady claimed to be working for a charity deal where they sell lightbulbs to help the disabled, so I can't really crap on their forehead for calling me when Im on the do not call list.
dbt1949
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 11:38:50 AM »

I know the police ones are not actual police but just telemarketers working you. I got to talking one once who was trying to get his Russian girlfriend into the country and all of his problems related to that. We must have spoke for a half hour.  :wink:

Ye Olde Farte
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 02:39:53 PM »

Why I'm SO glad I signed myself up on the 'do not call' list last year. It's SO nice not to get spam calls ever again.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 02:46:26 PM »

The police one in my community at least I know is legitimate...  I can not speak for them all though.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
RaptorRed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 04:14:54 PM »

Most of the telemarketers I get are on long distance lines so I just say hang on a minute and go and watch tv, let them pay for the phone call.

They usually don't call back.

I have no problems with legit charities, but telemarketing makes me see red.

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 04:48:01 PM »

Oh my....I would have unloaded on her.  "Hey, listen up...I'm a disabled vet and I work my ass off.  Don't give me some guilt trip about you being handicapped - there are more than enough of us who don't have to use guilt to get ahead in life!"

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 06:10:24 PM »

If you ever get a telemarketer, just say very clearly that you want to be taken off their call list. After that point, that call center cannot legally call you again.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 06:44:59 PM »

I always play with them.

When the newspaper calls, I scream at them and tell them I am freaking blind and I wish you would STOP reminding me that I cannot read a newspaper anymore.

Sometimes Ill ask them for their home number and I will call them back later... they usually hang up.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 07:56:41 PM »

I used to work as a market research caller.  I quit after a week and a half but here's some very valuable facts I learned.  

I was paid minimum wage.  It got boosted up to $7/hour if I managed to complete a survey (which only happened twice).

Here's the thing, a very large majority of these "call centers" are actually independent places hired out by companies/market research firms.  I got the "take me off your list" request tons of times.  That's great, I'd love to... but we don't have a list.  We only have what's given to us by the company that hired us.  A bank, another research firm, a gorcery store chain, farmhouse.com, a clothing store chain, whatever.

The clothing store chain survey was a fun one.  The target market was the South.  90% of the guys who answered the phone (and who I needed to survey) said they didn't want to do it because "their wife bought all their clothes for them".  Dur?  Just say you hate me and hang up, don't divulge your whipped nature to me.

Anyway, if I got hung up on, I considered that "a good call".  Bad calls are fairly obvious.  I didn't get a lot of smart asses who wanted to play clever pranks, that's probably because of the market survey thing.  Political survey's were great, everyone wanted to do those.

So here's what I learned.

- If I call asking for A, I need A to say "no" to the survey.  This means that A needs to get on the phone and say "no".  If A's wife says no and hangs up, it's a "respondent not available". That means your number goes back into the pot after 90 minutes.

- If you agree to do a survey, please don't back out in the middle.  That's just a total cock block on your part.  It doesn't count as a complete.

- If you just hang up without saying anything.  Like I start my spiel and you hang up, it's "respondent not available".  Please, in the name of God, just say "No, I do not want to do the survey"... and THEN hang up.

- About 90% of the people I worked with were college-age kids.  Most of them weren't even in college (I think I was the only one).  It's soul-crushing work.  I hated it with every fiber of my being.  I couldn't even grit my teeth and do it, and I think I broke the record for most bathroom breaks in a four-hour period.

- If you want us to never call you ever again, you could always just be an asshole and go buck nutty.  If you're talking to someone like me you'll get a "hard refusal", which means you'll never get called for this particular survey again.  I counted all my hang-ups as "hard refusals", which pissed off my bosses. If you're talking to some sadistic moron who's been doing this for a while, you'll get "respondent not available".

- In 100% of the calls I made, these people filled out a form with their phone number on it somewhere.  Those forms go somewhere you know. We got a ton of stuff from banks and shopping centers wanting to survey customers.  Remember your Safeway card?  That's were we got your fucking number.  Now quit bitching and tell me the last three places you bought meat products.  

- I could have finished the survey in five minutes.  But you've just spent 10 minutes yelling at a 19-year-old sophomore in college, who's just trying to earn a little cash while taking summer classes.    

I'm not defending it.  It was a fascinating look into the citadel of the enemy.  And the work sucks, it sucks hard.  I don't want to make the call, and you don't want to receive it.  And honestly, I'm not dumb, I'm just mentally exhausted from three hours of non-stop phone calling, so my "wit-o-meter" is a bit off.  Every time I get a market research call, I take it, and finish the survey.  I figure if I can give a guy a few minutes break from all that nasty stuff, and bump his pay a few bucks, cool.  

Telemarketers get the benefit of finishing their pitch, then it's a whole lot of very clear no's, and requests to be taken off the list.  But generally, I get zero telemarketing calls, because I never give out my phone number to people I don't want to hear from later.

Just Hiro will do.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 12:42:40 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Why I'm SO glad I signed myself up on the 'do not call' list last year. It's SO nice not to get spam calls ever again.

Same here. We haven't had a single one in over a year. We didn't even get the legal political calls last fall. It's been wonderful. Nothing beats a quiet telephone in my book.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 02:24:20 AM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
Remember your Safeway card?  That's were we got your fucking number.  Now quit bitching and tell me the last three places you bought meat products.  

Seriously, if a telemarketer said this to me on the phone, I'd gladly answer whatever surveys they had to say thanks for the laugh.   :lol:

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 07:06:39 AM »

Quote from: "JLu"
The police one in my community at least I know is legitimate...  I can not speak for them all though.

Legitimate, maybe, but sheesh.  :? These so-called "Badge Groups" that do this in support of police or fire fighters don't do this for free. Ask one of them sometime how much of every dollar you send them they keep... you might be shocked at the answer.

I've seen a survey of charitable organizations and the percentage of the monies that actually goes to the charities they are "supporting". It ranges all across the spectrum, from the few that pass on 100% to the few that keep 100% of the money. In the middle there somewhere are the vast majority.  I wish I could find it again...

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 12:15:47 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Oh my....I would have unloaded on her.  "Hey, listen up...I'm a disabled vet and I work my ass off.  Don't give me some guilt trip about you being handicapped - there are more than enough of us who don't have to use guilt to get ahead in life!"

Ha, the really funny thing about that is I am a vet and I collect 20% disability. So, not to far off I would say.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 05:47:03 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
- If you agree to do a survey, please don't back out in the middle.  That's just a total cock block on your part.  It doesn't count as a complete.

Thanks. I have added that to my list of ways to screw with evil telemarketers.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: