http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 08:22:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid paranoid banks!  (Read 544 times)
Huw the Poo
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Please feed dog

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2011, 09:28:25 PM »

My bank pisses me off.  I was just in the local shop buying some booze, and my card was declined - notice how that only happens when you're not the only customer in the shop?  Anyway, there's no way it's due to lack of funds, so I came home and called them.  Apparently they blocked it yesterday because I tried to spend a whopping 26 on the Royal Mail website.

Earlier today, before I realised what had happened, my card was blocked at the train station and if I didn't happen to have an alternative method of payment I would've been royally fucked - for various reasons I have to get the train that I do each day and I never have more than five minutes to buy a ticket.

This happened less than two months ago as well, and that time they couldn't even give me a reason...apparently my card was just randomly blocked and I had to relate my entire fucking life story before they believed I was I and unblocked the card.

Oh yeah, a couple of years ago I was in a shop and spent about 4 on my card.  Then I walked across the street and tried to spend even less, maybe 3 on it, and that was declined because apparently that was suspicious activity!  What the fuck, banks?  Why does this happen?  Are they terrified of potential liability in the event of actual fraudulent activity or something?  I wouldn't mind if I suddenly tried to spend 5,000 and they asked me to confirm it first, but these last few times are just insane.

Alright, rant over.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »

I have received calls asking about "unusual" credit card use......that might bug me accept someone did use my corporate card  somehow once and they called and caught it so that it didn't cost me anything.

However blocking the card without contacting you first does sound a little extreme.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:54:56 PM »

You know, as much as I'd love to agree with you, this past week my card was declined at a restaurant.  Knowing full well that I had more than enough to cover the meal, I called my bank ready to let a supervisor have it.  Come to find out, they had put a hold on my card because someone in New York had tried to charge over $900 at Wal-Mart and $400 at Kohl's.  

They did succeed in charging $14 at McDonald's and $3 at Dunkin Donuts, but the charges were reversed the day after they posted on my account.

Sometimes things like this happen for no reason, and it does nothing than cause a temporary aggravation, but trust me, you'll be happy when saves your ass.

/rant over.   icon_wink
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:56:26 PM »

Citibank did it to me while I tried to buy gas in a town between Dallas and Wichita Falls.  When they started asking me about charges, they were mostly Internet charges that I'd made before I even left town.

There's a reason Moms everywhere recommend having cash on hand in case of emergencies.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »

I had this happen a couple months ago when I placed a couple small orders.  The bank told me that it's the smaller transactions that raise red flags because people who try to steal numbers do so with instantly processed online transactions.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 10:38:42 PM »

Find a new bank.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:04:06 AM »

I'm surprised at them doing it over such small amounts, unless maybe it's an automated system?

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 06:12:28 AM »

My bank calls me when they have an issue.  Right before Christmas (thankfully just after I finished my shopping, but before buying lunch) my card froze and I received a call that they had noticed somebody on Bed Bath & Beyond trying to buy $10 worth of stuff.  They shipped me a new card right away (meaning 2 weeks - that annoyed me).
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 06:26:55 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on January 21, 2011, 09:56:44 PM

I had this happen a couple months ago when I placed a couple small orders.  The bank told me that it's the smaller transactions that raise red flags because people who try to steal numbers do so with instantly processed online transactions.

This happened to me during the Steam sale at Christmas.  Because I was spending little bits every day, they flagged it and a Steam purchase I was trying to make was declined.  Called them up and got it straightened out.  It sucks when nothing is wrong, but I am sure we would all appreciate it if it turns out that someone has stolen our credit card number.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 07:37:18 AM »

I do realise the importance of anti-fraud teams of course.  I only started this thread to vent because I was so pissed off last night.  But my bank does seem a bit ludicrous in the examples I gave above.  And if they'd just called me when I was at the station yesterday, all would have been fine.

Quote from: Zekester on January 22, 2011, 05:04:06 AM

I'm surprised at them doing it over such small amounts, unless maybe it's an automated system?

Yeah it must be, but I think their algorithms need tweaking. smile

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 07:42:49 AM »

my bank put a hold on my card for a $3 charge on iTunes, luckily I found out when trying to buy something off of Amazon later that day and was able to clear it up quickly without being denied at a checkout.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lassr

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 08:42:54 PM »

the one time I got a call from my credit union it was over a 60 cent charge online to an autoparts store. As they said, that's a way they check to see if it's working before they sell the number to someone else.

Roll Tide!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 08:46:50 PM »

bastards always flag any purchases I try to make from a guy named "Meth Man Mike" who has a credit card swiper in the back of his Chevy Impala.  Suspicious activity my ass.   mad

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: