http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:27:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Story writing  (Read 248 times)
Punisher
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2013, 02:40:09 AM »

Does anyone know options for someone who has story ideas, but no actual writing experience?
Something like a sort of collaboration I guess... Either short story, comics, whatever?
I think I have some good ideas ( don't always remember to write them down though), but no idea what to do with them...(I'd like to keep "ownership" of them)...
So is there anything like this out there?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 02:58:19 AM »

Write stories and finish them.

Ideas are a dime a dozen across every industry, implementation and completion is everything.

Writing is something anyone can do, after all, it's English. Write those ideas out into finished stories, and keep working at it. Once you've shown you can finish ideas out into something, then someone might take your ideas seriously enough to want to work together on something.

Of course, you'll be surprised at how difficult it is to turn an idea into a finished product. I'm working on two separate projects turning my game ideas into physical products, and it's the most stressful and difficult processes I have ever experienced, but it's worth it if you are feeling that need to create.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 02:59:40 AM »

The answer isn't going to be what you're looking for.  Ideas are plentiful, even the really awesome ones that you have that nobody else has capitalized on.  It's the execution that's in demand.

This applies to more than just writing.  You see a lot of aspiring game designers on forums asking what they have to do to sell their super awesome game idea, or how to just get some people to do that programming and art & music stuff that's all that's standing in the way of this idea being a million selling mega blockbuster, but it's all that 'stuff' that is the real challenge.

Your best bet is to write your stories yourself, even if you have no experience.  There are a ton of great writing groups both online and offline to help you out, as well as educational resources.

For a starting point, I highly recommend On Writing, by Stephen King.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 03:17:06 AM »

here's a creative writing class I posted about.  it's about 3 weeks in (sadly I haven't had any time to really dig into it due to classes) but the site itself has all kinds of info and videos, and it's free.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 03:20:43 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 23, 2013, 02:58:19 AM

Of course, you'll be surprised at how difficult it is to turn an idea into a finished product.
No I wouldn't! crybaby
If I didn't know how difficult it would be, I wouldn't have posted this..
I've tried it a couple of times and just got nowhere... I have been thinking of doing a comic version of my ideas, which may be a lot easier then an actual story... But even then, not sure where to begin... I can probably do the artwork without too much difficulty, but the writing part is where I get stuck... Especially since the ideas are all just synopsis right now.... And not long ones either...
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 03:29:37 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on July 23, 2013, 03:20:43 AM

not sure where to begin... I can probably do the artwork without too much difficulty, but the writing part is where I get stuck... Especially since the ideas are all just synopsis right now.... And not long ones either...

Begin with an outline (or storyboard if you're working visually). It's a map of your story that lays out how the plot unfolds, when the characters are introduced, where the scenes take place, and all the other nuts and bolts. Start broad and general and drill down to more specifics. By the time you're satisfied with that, the actual writing is easy, even enjoyable. Nailing down that framework is the hard part.

(Said the guy who never had the self-discipline to finish anything.)

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 04:11:14 AM »

Doing a comic is actually harder to do than just writing out the story, because then you have to make the sync the artwork to the story and other writing. Not to mention product artwork decent enough to look at.

Collaborations are even harder, because you'll have to wrangle two people to be on the same page. And unless you're pulling your own weight and getting things done, you're not going to find anyone to collaborate with because they have their own stuff.

The key is to not try to self edit in the middle of writing. If you do that, you are doomed.

Treat it like an essay back in high school to start with. Remember when they told you to write an outline first, then flesh it out?

Writing is like any large endeavor, you break it down into smaller parts that can be finished. An outline lets you have a finished framework to build the story on. Break it down and finish it in chunks.

For my video game project, I actually have two outlines, one is a very rough outline of the entire plot with no regard to branching and out of order gameplay, start to end. It's important to finish that outline not just as a framework, as a milestone to yourself to show that you're progressing. When I started this project (one of two big projects I'm on) this was the first thing I finished, and it's helped propel everything else.

The next outline I'm working on is a semi-detailed outline that breaks things down even further. These will include overall plot branches, what things can happen out of order, etc. This one is going to take a lot longer, but now I have a set goal to work towards because I finished the outline, and I can break it down into sections that I can actually finish.

Next after the second outline, will be the actual script, which I know is going to be the biggest thing I have ever written. But instead of dreading it, I'm going to really enjoy getting the time to go into detail and flesh everything out. And why I can enjoy that prospect is because by the time I'm ready to start on that script, I'll know everything I need to get it finished.

Now, there will always be rewrites, but it's important to make those actual rewrites of a finished script, and not endless self editing in the middle of actual writing.

We got to the moon not by a single genius thinking up everything and building everything in one go. Instead, we broke down everything into small steps that would all work towards the completion of that goal.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 06:03:08 PM »

I hope to write a quartet of science fiction novels. I've got them pretty well laid out in my head. When it came time to try to write them, however, that didn't work out nearly as well. I got bogged down with the unfamiliar chore of writing prose, and my energy for the project petered out. In order to regroup and retry the first novel, I ended up writing it out in a (massive 270 page) screenplay. I then did the same thing for the second novel. I'm now very confident in the mechanics of my story. I'm still inexperienced at writing prose fiction, however.

So I decided to work my way up to the novels by writing some short stories set in the same universe. I'm working on the second one right now.

I think the first one came together pretty well. You can grab a copy here for free, or buy it for 99 for Nook, Kindle or iBooks.

So, I don't know if that's helpful, but that's how I've tackled a similar issue.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 07:35:35 PM »

This is a fantastic book about King's history as a writer and the writing process.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 07:57:44 PM »

see wonderpug, I told you you need to use pictures to get noticed!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 08:06:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 23, 2013, 07:57:44 PM

see wonderpug, I told you you need to use pictures to get noticed!

doh!

Well I second Wonderpug's comment about this book.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: