http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 04:07:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Stitches?  Broken Bones?  (Voting closed: August 04, 2006, 10:55:44 PM)
I've had stitches but no broken bones - 12 (27.3%)
I've had broken bones but no stitches - 2 (4.5%)
I've had both! - 18 (40.9%)
I've never had stiches or broken a bone! - 12 (27.3%)
Total Voters: 44

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stitches? Broken bones?  (Read 991 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2006, 10:55:44 PM »

That's right - just wanted to see how many people have had stitches, broken bones, and/or dislocated joints here.  I always find it somewhat fascinating that some people go through life without ever breaking a bone or anything while others break several.

Me?  I have four places where I've received stitches.  I had surgery on my left arm when I was 13 or so and have two around 4" surgical scars on the top and bottom of my left arm from my hand on up.  It actually increased the mobility of my left hand a bit, though, I can't move my wrist left | right at all and have limited range moving my wrist up | down along with only being able to do a half thumbs up with my left thumb.  On a gaming note, I'm thinking it may hamper how much fun a Wii will be  frown  Also, I've received two places on my left arm - about 1" each or so - due to getting cut by glass.

No broken bones yet!

What about all of you?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 11:16:29 PM »

I of course have had plenty of stiches. :?  It wasn't until I was 36 however that I broken my first bone (my wrist). Next year another broken bone. Reason? Took up bicycling. :?
Broke my ankle slipping on the ice some ten years ago. Still have a plate and pins in it.
Now I think I have a broken boner. :shock:

Ye Olde Farte
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 11:33:47 PM »

Both, broken ankle, stiches on the forehead in a few spots when I was young (that were once covered by hair, but not any longer  :cry: )

TheMissingLink on PSN
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 11:44:43 PM »

Too many to name, nearly all from playing soccer.  Broken fingers, toes, wrist, leg, nose (twice), concussions...you name it.  Such is the life of the goalie.  Worst one was when a guy took out my legs and slammed me into the corner of a square goalpost at a dead sprint.  40 stitches in the shin, torn ligament, 2 broken ribs, and a really jacked up elbow.  Pretty much ended my senior season of high school.  Anyone who says soccer isn't a contact sport obviously hasn't played the game.

Most recently tore the ligament on the outside of my ankle, which is still giving me trouble 3 months later.  Getting old sucks.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 11:54:52 PM »

I've had stitches once when I was 5 years old.  I had relatively small cut the back of my head that needed a few stitches.  The only other time was when I had my wisdome teeth pulled and needed stitches for the holes.

No broken bones thankfully!
Quote from: "dbt1949"
Now I think I have a broken boner.
lol. That may be the worst one to break.  smile

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 12:13:14 AM »

No stitches aside from oral surgery.  No broken bones.  Time for me to find some wood to knock on...

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 12:25:12 AM »

I've broken my right arm, both bones.  I've had my nose broken twice, and I've had my ribs broken multiple times on both sides.  Side effect of martial arts.  

As far as stitches, I've had major reconstructive surgery on the left corner of my mouth due to an electrical accident (capacitor exploded) (you can't tell, the minimal scar is covered by my goatee) and I've had roughly 250 stitches thanks to a dog attack when I was a kid.  I also have a 2" long 1/2" wide scar right on the bone of my shin from fighting. Thankfully I don't look like I'm stitched together - good plastic surgery team.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 01:03:37 AM »

I had my right index finger cut to the bone with a semi-dull katana (long story), but because it was such a straight and clean cut, I wound up not having to get stitches.  Just had some miniature butterfly band-aids and a pressure wrap for two weeks and it healed right up.

I still have a dent on the bone though. biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 01:17:30 AM »

Both for me.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 01:33:28 AM »

neither one for me...at least not due to accident/injury.  i've had a couple stitches in my mouth after having my wisdom teeth cut out, but that's it.  i'm going almost 28 year without breaking a bone.

that said, i have had a few good injuries over the years.  i've knocked my head quite a few times and have 3 or 4 significant concussions.  the best injury, however, is the time i managed to bite a hole all the way through my tongue...took a nasty spill on my bike and somehow managed to have my tongue sticking out a little when i planted my chin into the pavement.  you could see all the way through and i hit a big vein on the underside, so it bled like crazy.  the doctor thought about trying a couple stitches but decided mouth injuries heal quickly enough that it shouldn't be a problem...turned out okay, but i still actually have about a 1/4" scar on my tongue Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 01:46:15 AM »

Stitches for me.

I once impaled my head on a spike when I was a toddler.  It was part of a wrought iron bench in the entrance of my parents house that had four spiraling rods that came out of each corner.  Each rod used to have a plastic ball on the end of it to protect from impaling, but as a toddler I took them off for throwing and eventually lost them.

Then I fell down the stairs one day and skewered the right side of my forehead right on one of them.  Not sure how many stitches I got, or if I brained my damage.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 01:48:16 AM »

Quote from: "Ragnarok"
Stitches for me.

I once impaled my head on a spike when I was a toddler.  It was part of a wrought iron bench in the entrance of my parents house that had four spiraling rods that came out of each corner.  Each rod used to have a plastic ball on the end of it to protect from impaling, but as a toddler I took them off for throwing and eventually lost them.

Then I fell down the stairs one day and skewered the right side of my forehead right on one of them.  Not sure how many stitches I got, or if I brained my damage.

Sweet Jesus man!!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 02:48:44 AM »

I broke my anke once.  I also broke a bone in the same foot when a fucking horse stepped on it.

Plenty of stitches from stupid childhood accidents.

I also got all my front teeth knocked with an aluminum baseball bat.  Despite what ESPN might have you believe, not everyone loves the ping. :wink:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 03:26:32 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Quote from: "Ragnarok"

Sweet Jesus man!!

+1!

Uh...nothing as bad as the rest of you - stitches on my lip for some reason or another as a kid (don't remember what anymore), and I tripped on a single stair in my old house once (stepped down to get to the living room area) and broke my big toe. Got crutches for a few weeks as a kid for that one.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 04:09:02 AM »

I've broken my arm (fell off a bunkbed), my finger (dropped a weight on it) and my ankle (crashed while innertubing on a mountain, hand 12 people land on me).

I've also been hit in the shin w/ a baseball bat (stitches required to close that up), had ankle surgery to fix the break (and stitches associated with closing that wound), and knee surgery to replace my torn ACL (and stitches associated with that).

The knee surgery was just a couple months ago, still doing the whole therapy thing.

GT/OO Weight Loss Tracker: http://www.jxprime.net/WeightTracker
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 04:31:21 AM »

I've had stitches 5 times, every last one of them above the neck. Never broken a bone technically, but have broken my nose 3 times -- ahh the snowboarding years, when I landed wrong, I landed WRONG!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 04:45:57 AM »

Neither.
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 04:00:29 PM »

Neither for me.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 11:22:07 PM »

I had stiches across one of my knuckles from washing a rocks glass at work. I put too much pressure on the rim of the glass from the inside, popped a good chunk of the glass off as I continued to twist my hand, and sliced right into the knuckle of my index finger.

I also tore my MCL snowboarding, then made it worse a few years later when I got hit playing hockey. No surgery was necessary, but the skin on my knee is wicked/creepy stretchy from the swelling.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 01:49:43 AM »

My childhood was not kind.  I broke my arm when I was 3 or so.  Bouncing from fold-out bed to couch in my grandparents basement and landed on the cement floor.

My brother threw a shingle at me (at my grandparents farm again) and it hit me in the eye scratching the cornea.  I had to go to school with a frigging patch on my eye for quite a while.  I was probably 7.  

Stepped on numerous rusty nails at my dad's old farm.  No stitches from those, obviously, but I was getting yearly tetanus shots.  

Dislocated my elbow with a bad landing from snowboarding.  A few months later I put a two inch gash in my palm with a very sharp knife when I was working at a restaraunt.  Required stitches, of course.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 02:04:51 AM »

Other than Wisdom teeth being pulled (which I don't really count as it's a surgical procedure), I have never had stiches.  Never broken a bone either.  I've had multiple severe concussions, though.  I guess I lead with my head.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: