http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 12:14:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steaks  (Read 4093 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2008, 10:05:06 PM »

I've found that as I get older, I like my meat cooked less.

As a kid I always ate it well done, emulating my dad, because I didn't know better.

In college, it became medium well and that's pretty much what it's been since...until the last couple of months.

I now like it between medium and medium well (if there is such a thing). A hint of pink, but some for sure.

My wife, who is pregnant, has never been a big red meat fan, and thusly she prefers hers nearly charred. As long as it's stark white she'll eat it. Otherwise, she pushes it back.

My mom is a carnivore. Not quite rare, but whatever is between rare and medium. Blood on the plate.

Tip: Target's brand of meat, Sutton and Dodge, is incredibly delicious.  Seriously.

Question: What supermarkets have you noticed that have the best steaks.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 10:08:29 PM »

Medium rare or YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

I tend to buy my meat from the local butchers at farmer's market, but for the mass market stuff, I've always found Costco quality to be well above average.

gellar
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 10:17:50 PM »

Medium rare or bust!  I'll send that thing back if you over cook it.

Mass supermarkets I usually goto Publix.  I like the Fresh Market and/or Harry's if I want to spend a bit more on better quality.

morlac00 on PSN
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 10:25:17 PM »

Yet another medium rare convert. Perfect combination of taste and texture.

I just got a PS3 from Walmart with the $100 gift card deal. I am seriously considering buying some steaks. Which might be the best or the worst thing I ever do.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:26:49 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 05, 2008, 10:08:29 PM

+1

We've had good luck with Costco meats.  We also tried the mail order Omaha steaks and they were pretty good, but I liked their hot dogs even more.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:47:20 PM »

Quote from: Biyobi on June 05, 2008, 10:26:49 PM

+1

We've had good luck with Costco meats.  We also tried the mail order Omaha steaks and they were pretty good, but I liked their hot dogs even more.

Costco steak is always good as is their lamb.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 10:48:18 PM »

+1
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 11:17:50 PM »

Medium rare if I'm at a nice place where I know they can do it right. Medium if I'm at some chain like Outback or whatever.

Quote from: ATB on June 05, 2008, 10:05:06 PM

Whole Foods if money is no object. smile
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 11:46:03 PM »

This used to be the case, but over the past 10-15 years, it seems as if the definition of medium rare has skewed towards Rare to me (I've ranted on OO about this to trig).  The definition of MR that I used to use was pink throughout with a warm red center, and when I order Medium Rare nowadays what I usually get is red throughout with a pink edge (maybe).  I usually have to order Medium to get what I consider Medium Rare. 

Sometimes this happens with restaurants that are being too anal about undercooking steaks just so that they wont ever have over cooked food going out (and have to do another, thereby saving a buck), and it pisses me off that it doesn't come out the way I ordered it.  I know I can send it back (and so do they), but it's really f'in rude to make me have to wait for my food while the people I'm eating with already have theirs just because the restaurant won't cook food the way that it says they do right on the goshdarn menu.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 11:53:04 PM »

I've found over the years that the quality of the restaurant is in direct proportion with the cooking scale.  Basically a good-great steakhouse well always have a 'true' MR, which is the more rare of your descriptions.  The 'chain' and non steak oriented places I almost have to order a rare steak to get it right.  Pyberkub, could it be that as you have gotten older you are now able to afford to goto the fancier places for steak and that is why you are noticing this change?

morlac00 on PSN
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 12:02:49 AM »

Naw, I agree that the doneness has shifted toward the rare as they can always refire the meat, but they cannot unfire it.

btw, I'm a medium rare guy too.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 12:35:27 AM »

Quote from: morlac on June 05, 2008, 11:53:04 PM

I've found over the years that the quality of the restaurant is in direct proportion with the cooking scale.  Basically a good-great steakhouse well always have a 'true' MR, which is the more rare of your descriptions.  The 'chain' and non steak oriented places I almost have to order a rare steak to get it right.  Pyberkub, could it be that as you have gotten older you are now able to afford to goto the fancier places for steak and that is why you are noticing this change?

Nah, I'd go on my folks dime to some pretty good ones before.  A lot of time the rant goes to what the steakhouse says is medium rare on the menu.  On the flip side, my local steak house used to be one of the worst offenders, but one talk to the manager and I haven't had a problem there in a couple of years.  I still have to order medium to get it the way I like (which I'm ok with), but in the past even that would come out too rare.

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 12:41:59 AM »

From About.com:

At medium rare your steak should be warm through the middle with a hint of red. Most of the center of the steak should be pink. The sides should be well browned, the top and bottom charred to a dark brown color. This steak should have a firm surface but be soft in the middle.

From Wikipedia:

# Medium rare - (52.2C/126F degrees core temp) The steak will have a fully red, warm center. Unless specified otherwise, upscale steakhouses will generally cook to at least this level.
# Medium - (57.2C/135F degrees core temp) The middle of the steak is hot and red with pink surrounding the center. The outside is gray-brown.

About's is the definition I grew up with, but wikipedia's seems to be prevailing...

Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 12:59:46 AM »

I loves me a good steak.  I like em medium rare too. 

I basically need it warm in the middle, cool would freak me out.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 01:10:07 AM »

RARE!  pass that hunk of meat over a candle a few times and then slap it on a plate.  if it ain't still twitching then take it back and get me another!  hell, just bring out the damned cow and I'll gnaw on it's flank a bit.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 01:15:55 AM »

Rare, please.
Davidbld
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 01:36:02 AM »

Medium-well please...guess I'm a freak. I like my steak NOT to be dripping blood any more, thank you very much.

Dave
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 02:22:32 AM »

So it would appear this rare shift can be blamed on lousy chefs and their inability to get it right the first time smile

morlac00 on PSN
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 04:22:14 AM »

Just walk a cow through a warm room. I'll be waiting on the other side with my fork and knife.

You can't find a really good steak on the East Coast. You have to go inland. WAY inland.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 04:27:01 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on June 06, 2008, 04:22:14 AM

Just walk a cow through a warm room. I'll be waiting on the other side with my fork and knife.

LOL
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 04:59:05 AM »

I like it just a touch above medium rare. A little blood on the plate is fine, but if it manages to colour my mashed potatoes completely pink, no.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 05:49:29 AM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on June 06, 2008, 04:59:05 AM

I like it just a touch above medium rare. A little blood on the plate is fine, but if it manages to colour my mashed potatoes completely pink, no.

bah!  if you don't have enough butter on your mashed potatoes to repel any errant blood you're not doing it right.

Because I can,
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 05:52:17 AM »

If the meat is bloody, I'm pretty sure the butcher did something wrong.
Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 11:36:55 AM »

If I go to a really nice steakhouse I'll order to temperature, 124F...if you try that at a Logan's you will get spit on your steak.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 11:43:32 AM »

Quote from: Davidbld on June 06, 2008, 01:36:02 AM

Medium-well please...guess I'm a freak. I like my steak NOT to be dripping blood any more, thank you very much.

Me too.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 11:44:26 AM »

Quote from: heloder on June 06, 2008, 05:52:17 AM

If the meat is bloody, I'm pretty sure the butcher did something wrong.

people confuse 'juicy' with 'bloody' when it comes to meat.

Me, I like it medium. Love them juices. I alos like to saturate my baked potato with the juicies.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 12:38:55 PM »

Rare.  The meat should be hot but rawish.  Anything more and you lost meat flavor and meat texture.  It's no wonder people like seasoning and A1 and such.  Meat is charry tasting if you allow it start turning pink or heaven forbid brown.  Medium rare is acceptable but earns a look of disappointment before I eat it.

Sadly, pork and burger get to the medium side of things, not because it tastes better but because of modern bacteria problems.  Otherwise buger would be on the rare side of medium rare and things like bacon, would be hot but not cooked.

I've never eaten non thouroughly cooked fowl.  I suspect I'd like it but the whold 15 minutes to cook chicken at the minimum has been burned in my head...  And yet I still cook my eggs with with raw yolks.  Go figure.

Raw meat of the carcass is actually pretty good, if you ever have the opportunity.  On the other hand I actually had Steak Tartar (or whatever) when I was in France, assuming is would be pretty good.  It is so over soaked in oils and spices that it's downright nasty.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 12:58:32 PM »

Medium Rare for me as well.  As far as good cuts of steaks I find that it is less about the cut of meat (within reason) and more about the preparation and seasoning. 

I've never gotten meat from Costco - is it cheaper than a local supermarket?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 01:01:46 PM »

Medium Rare all the way

For extra fun - sometimes when I go to the really, really nice steakhouses - I'll take a bite of the steak and then in my best fake southern accent -- I'll ask my server if they have any A-1 sauce I can use.

icon_twisted

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 01:16:21 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on June 06, 2008, 01:01:46 PM

Medium Rare all the way

For extra fun - sometimes when I go to the really, really nice steakhouses - I'll take a bite of the steak and then in my best fake southern accent -- I'll ask my server if they have any A-1 sauce I can use.

icon_twisted

Oh and A1 is nasty. NASTY!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 01:39:15 PM »

My wife, who is pregnant, has never been a big red meat fan, and thusly she prefers hers nearly charred. As long as it's stark white she'll eat it. Otherwise, she pushes it back.

I realized I never finished this thought. Now that she's pregnant she's a raging carnivore. Steaks, burgers, you name it and she wants to have it.  Must be the protein requirements.
Unagi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 02:30:14 PM »

Without question,   Whole Foods
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 02:34:41 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 06, 2008, 01:39:15 PM

I realized I never finished this thought. Now that she's pregnant she's a raging carnivore. Steaks, burgers, you name it and she wants to have it.  Must be the protein requirements.

grats!

Because I can,
Mr Bubbles
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 03:06:16 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 06, 2008, 01:39:15 PM

Now all you have to do is keep her Knocked up and you're good as gold.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 03:23:19 PM »

Tip: Target's brand of meat, Sutton and Dodge, is incredibly delicious.  Seriously.

Supermarkets are all the same stuff.  It's good that you like the taste, but there are far better choices than Target.  Check out this Post article.  Sutton and Dodge aren't even real people.

Find yourself a farmer's market around you that has someone selling grass-fed beef and see what you've been missing. 
http://www.eatwild.com
</hippie>

Medium rare or you're doing it wrong. 
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 04:15:26 PM »

Is there really a cooking thread with no contribution from PeteRock? I expected complete recipes along with a back story of the dinner party in which he first tried them out.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on June 06, 2008, 04:15:26 PM

Is there really a cooking thread with no contribution from PeteRock? I expected complete recipes along with a back story of the dinner party in which he first tried them out.

I just figured he started typing when the thread started and he still hasn't finished yet. slywink
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 04:22:04 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 06, 2008, 04:18:54 PM

Quote from: Moliere on June 06, 2008, 04:15:26 PM

I just figured he started typing when the thread started and he still hasn't finished yet. slywink

WELL PLAYED.

gellar
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 04:55:09 PM »

Medium rare.  I only order a steak at places that know how to do that correctly.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 05:49:47 PM »

Quote from: kathode on June 06, 2008, 03:23:19 PM

Supermarkets are all the same stuff.  It's good that you like the taste, but there are far better choices than Target.  Check out this Post article.  Sutton and Dodge aren't even real people.

Find yourself a farmer's market around you that has someone selling grass-fed beef and see what you've been missing. 
http://www.eatwild.com
</hippie>

Medium rare or you're doing it wrong. 

Oh, I figured it was all marketing- like Bartyls and James or Berkley and Jensen (BJs). But SRSLY, the meat is good.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: