http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 11:04:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starship Troopers 3 Trailer!  (Read 2672 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 07:52:56 PM »

Watching bits and pieces of the first one when it came out, I hated it.  Sitting down and watching the whole film to get the context, i actually understood what the intent of it was.  Verhoeven is a subversive son of a bitch (watch Robocop for further evidence).  If the first film had come out post 9/11 it would've received far more notice.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 07:54:28 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 07:54:16 PM »

Looks better than the 2nd one.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 07:58:49 PM »

The new trailer is worth watching just to hear how the voice over say "Lola Beck" and "Dix Hauser".
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2008, 08:03:11 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on March 06, 2008, 03:14:08 AM

Quote from: SkyLander
This. Dizzy with curly hair > Denise Richards

I've spent years championing Dina Meyer's positive attributes with no results.

I now feel vindicated.

+1 to that!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2008, 08:28:39 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on June 24, 2008, 07:54:16 PM

Looks better than the 2nd one.

That isn't a high standard to live up to.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2008, 09:02:10 PM »

Quote from: raydude on March 05, 2008, 04:28:54 PM

Did you guys who liked it actually READ the novel? If not, go read it, and come back here again and say you don't want to have the novel made into a movie.

I loved the novel and still loved the first movie but it obviously was only barely inspired by the book.
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2008, 09:20:18 PM »

I really liked the first one, but i have to say the second ranks among the worst movies I have ever seen. The whole thing was just terrible.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2008, 06:14:07 PM »

the movie was essentially a satire of the themes espoused by the novel - i think it was a brilliant way of subverting Heinlein's views through an 'adaptation'. it could have been more consistent with that theme for sure, but i'm surprised by the number of people who hadn't picked up on that.

from imdb - this comment sums it up:

The film is insanely violent. People are literally cut to pieces by the smaller creatures and slowly, painfully melted by a plasma the larger insects spray. However, the alien bugs fair no better. The people and cows getting hacked up relentlessly in this film horrify us but we cheer as machine rifles and grenades blow the giant insects apart. The body count is high on both sides. It is all literally and purposely utter, senseless violence. But then at one point a psychic uses his powers to read one of the alien's emotions. He triumphantly yells, `It's afraid!' and a legion of human warriors jubilantly cheer at this pronouncement. Who's barbaric here? What is humanity? These bugs are clearly not `human' yet they are intelligent, advanced, and most importantly they have feelings. If they can be afraid, can they not also be sad, happy, in love? These are questions the writer has left to us to ask with out leading us by the hand through what could have been a much more preachy film.

Considering the fact that, in his book _Stranger in a Strange Land_, Robert A. Heinlein--who wrote the novel upon which Starship Troopers was based--pointed out that there were millions of people already in America before the Europeans came and ruthlessly slaughtered these `subhumans' on their new property, it is safe to say that there is a lot more going on in this film than a simple slug-fest. The dazzling special effects and heart pounding action are all just a distraction--like all the noise in real life--from the more important things said here. Even the trailer and commercials for this movie were purposely misleading with Blur's delightfully mindless `Song #3' blaring and the singer yelling `Whoo-hoo!' as a stream of soldiers pour out of ships to go to battle. Every aspect of the film was one gigantic, satirical slap in the face of humanity and no one noticed.

Some may suggest that the satire was not intended but that would be incredibly insulting to screenwriter Edward Neumeier because that's what he excels at. If you didn't catch the not so subtle satire in his earlier screenplay for _Robocop_ then you're under the age of ten. Despite being so financially successful, _Starship Troopers_ is one of the most important, yet overlooked, movies of the 1990s from an intellectual point of view.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 06:21:48 PM by hitbyambulance » Logged
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2008, 03:20:25 AM »

This trailer doesn't inspire me.... and I **LOVED** the first movie and really got it.

And it wasn't all about Dizz, thought I lusted after her for weeks afterwards.   Denise Richards wasn't bad either, but her character was a pain in the ass.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2008, 03:44:09 AM »

Trailer still looks like cheap crap.  Might be dumb fun, but not good.  I was much more intrigued by the trailer on that page for the Hunter S. Thompson movie. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: