http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 01:57:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stargate Universe  (Read 6301 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2009, 11:51:54 PM »

How would that work? Someone on the ship would let her girlgriend back home take over her body so they could talk and ..uhh...other things. That pc geek better have one of those flying video cameras handy.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2009, 07:23:50 PM »

Is anyone else watching?

I loved this last week's episode ("Time").  A nice, contained little twist on the time travel/alternate reality story with some Aliens thrown in the mix, told almost completely through the Kino/handycam viewpoint.  Some great acting from David Blue (Eli) again, he's quickly taking the show over which I'm sure was intended, but also some luck in that the guy can actually act. 
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2009, 07:41:13 PM »

Oddly enough, I'm still enjoying it.  I say that because I've disliked every incarnation of Stargate since the movie.  I think it's a combination of decent acting, writing that isn't over the top and the mystery of the ship.  As long as they don't try to ape whatever movie is popular in theaters (like Smallville did each and every week before I finally couldn't take it anymore) or resort to bringing back all those annoying alien faction subplots that muddied up the story for me in the other SG shows, I'll continue watching.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2009, 08:10:50 PM »

Still quite enjoying the show and look forward to it every Friday.

Loved this past Friday's episode.

Spoiler for Hiden:
A very interesting take on paradoxes.

I think they had a unique approach and it was done in a very interesting way. I like that they ended by setting up the second keynote in the past, rather than going through a third loop of it. It helped keep the story going, and left out what would have been a very silly ending. The explanation was very much tied into past mythology about the stargate which helped make the episode resonate better than other takes on the same concept.

Loved the tie-in back to a previous episode too.

Overall - still loving the show.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2009, 08:56:42 PM »

I'm liking it but none of the characters have clicked with me like SG1 did.  I don't think I'd feel any kind of loss if any of gem didn't make it through an episode, and hopefully they'll limit the alien device communications after the previous episodes attempted take over.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2009, 04:29:19 AM »

this weeks episode?  woooo boy.....

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2009, 05:34:40 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 06, 2009, 04:29:19 AM

yeah...should be very interesting to see where they go with that one...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2009, 06:11:17 AM »

Quote from: disarm on December 06, 2009, 05:34:40 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 06, 2009, 04:29:19 AM

yeah...should be very interesting to see where they go with that one...
Yeah. Too bad we have to wait until spring to find out.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2009, 12:32:53 PM »

I already know what happens. The scientist renegotiates his contract, takes a cut in pay, solves his problem with what's available and becomes he number one villain of the galaxy.

Ye Olde Farte
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2009, 10:38:13 PM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on December 06, 2009, 12:32:53 PM

I already know what happens. The scientist renegotiates his contract, takes a cut in pay, solves his problem with what's available and becomes he number one villain of the galaxy.

LOL

Spoiler for Hiden:
Not to mention he was conveniently stranded on a planet that has a marooned spacecraft 2 feet away from him

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2009, 03:50:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 16, 2009, 08:56:42 PM

I'm liking it but none of the characters have clicked with me like SG1 did.  I don't think I'd feel any kind of loss if any of gem didn't make it through an episode, and hopefully they'll limit the alien device communications after the previous episodes attempted take over.

i have the exact opposite issue with the SG shows.  this series is the only one in which i actually thought the characters were even halfway interesting and/or good actors.  all the other SG's were basically bad sci fi channel movies of the week to me.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2009, 12:51:03 AM »

apparently they have picked this up for a second season  thumbsup

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2010, 01:32:23 AM »

this finally returns this coming Friday at 9pm.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2010, 02:44:22 AM »

I only watched the first episode. It seemed ok but I haven't watched any of the rest. Have or had it on the DVR. I have not even checked to see if it is still there or bumped off. Really don't care. I still didn't catch up on LOST. I lack season 5 and all this season. May not even bother with it either.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2010, 02:52:10 AM »

I'm looking forward to Stargate's return. I did not feel the same way about V. When I noticed that the DVR had recorded a new episode of V, I thought "aw crap, it's back."

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2010, 04:50:15 PM »

SGU is way better than V...AND it has much more potential as well.  Definitely glad this one is back.  I am sure V won't last much longer- I watch it but I just don't see the "Nobody Loves Raymond" crowd tuning in.

That said, if Atlantis lasted what...5 years?...I think SGU will get a good run.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2010, 07:28:13 PM »

Quote from: walTer on March 29, 2010, 04:50:15 PM

SGU is way better than V...AND it has much more potential as well.  Definitely glad this one is back.  I am sure V won't last much longer- I watch it but I just don't see the "Nobody Loves Raymond" crowd tuning in.

That said, if Atlantis lasted what...5 years?...I think SGU will get a good run.

couldn't stand any of the previous SG incarnations, but rather enjoy SGU.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »

well  everyones entitled to an opinion.  I liked SG-1 especially during its Showtime run.  SYFY did fine with what they had but couldnt keep the level of the earlier years up. They did kind of jump the shark when they went all SG-1/ Farscape 

SGU has a lot of potential and thats why I figured its in its last season... yeah I have that little faith in SYFY these days.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2010, 09:07:52 PM »

Am I the only one that still types www.scifi.com when I visit the site?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2010, 05:17:09 PM »

And the current run comes to a close with (what else) - a cliffhanger. Now we wait until October.

Not really all that big of a Lou Diamond Phillips fan but liked where they went with his character, all of the characters actually. That and the current story arc.  icon_cool

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2010, 10:10:03 PM »

i really enjoyed last night's finale despite the mostly-pointless cliffhanger ending.  it's not that i mind a little suspense for the next season, but it's kind of dumb when you know there are certain things they just aren't going to do no matter what situations they suggest...can't put every major member of the cast in peril and expect them not to survive.  that said, they've really set up an interesting situation for next season and have shown that they can avoid the rut of planet-hopping on the same ship every week.  i'll definitely be tuning in again next season icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2010, 09:13:58 PM »

Quote from: disarm on June 12, 2010, 10:10:03 PM

i really enjoyed last night's finale despite the mostly-pointless cliffhanger ending.  it's not that i mind a little suspense for the next season, but it's kind of dumb when you know there are certain things they just aren't going to do no matter what situations they suggest...can't put every major member of the cast in peril and expect them not to survive.  that said, they've really set up an interesting situation for next season and have shown that they can avoid the rut of planet-hopping on the same ship every week.  i'll definitely be tuning in again next season icon_cool

I do remember them saying something along the lines of 'don't be surprised if a major character goes away due to the deadline for getting back to destiny' so it wouldn't surprise me if one or more don't survive the cliffhanger.

I've started to like it more, definitely better than Atlantis at this point but the whole 'at each others throats every other week' deal is getting old.

Because I can,
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2010, 09:38:33 PM »

I did enjoy SGU's first season, but the thing that bugs me the most about the show is - why the hell are we as viewers supposed to think that destiny is amazing and holds 'many secrets'? It's fueled by the stars, and flies around stopping at random planets opening a stargate connection to a gate that was left by an earlier ship. Additionally, the ship is a piece of crap, is literally falling apart, and is in such disrepair that in the time they've been on the ship they've barely explored the pile of crap, let alone fixed anything or figured out how to do much at all with it.

So what is the point of the Destiny and why are all the stargates programmed to use the 9th chevron to reach it?

I don't think I missed anything on those lines did I?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2010, 10:04:29 PM »

I dont think all of the stargates are programmed with a 9th chevron.  So far I believe theyve only found 2 with that capability and both have blown up upon use.  The Destiny itself is the pinnacle of ancient technology before the race ascended.  The technology on that ship is invaluable and would completely change the capabilities of whoever figures it out.  Basically, who ever can benefit from Destiny's tech, assuming they can get the ship back to research it, controls the future of mankind. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2010, 01:25:22 PM »

Ah, see - my understanding was that all the stargates had it but it was a problem with power that prevented it to be dialed (IE: When you dial it, the planet's naquadria core overloads... or something)

So then - what is the Destiny's pre-programmed purpose?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2010, 01:28:39 PM »

To boldly go, where no-one has gone before!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2010, 02:09:03 PM »

I do have to say I am hoping they don't end up keeping some of the Alliance guys alive and make them part of the crew, that'd be a bit too Voyager for my tastes.

Because I can,
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2010, 03:17:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 14, 2010, 02:09:03 PM

I do have to say I am hoping they don't end up keeping some of the Alliance guys alive and make them part of the crew, that'd be a bit too Voyager for my tastes.

They lack  a glowing red eye and mechanical arms.

And giant boobs.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2010, 05:58:43 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on June 14, 2010, 03:17:57 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 14, 2010, 02:09:03 PM

They lack  a glowing red eye and mechanical arms.

And giant boobs.

Check again, that one chick has huge ones.  All you need to do is implant her with some cyborg tech, put her in some spandex and you've got a winner.

I was wondering if they'd go Voyager as well, but then I saw Rhona Mitra is too busy with The Gates.  Maybe they'll kill Rhona and she'll come back as a vampire.  Or they'll just add that buff dude that the doc saved.

I really liked the finale, I'm curious if they'll actually be bold enough to kill some folk off (like Lou Diamond) permanently.  I was surprised to see my favorite preggers doc go down, killing the unborn baby would just be too harsh wouldn't it?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2010, 07:03:15 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 14, 2010, 05:58:43 PM

I was surprised to see my favorite preggers doc go down, killing the unborn baby would just be too harsh wouldn't it?

Yeah, probably too raw for the delicate American audience. I'd love to see them end that dumb subplot, but I think it's more likely that they'll write the character off than go for a convenient miscarriage. By the time the show comes back in Oct the actress will have spawned, so they might be addressing that with something other than a fake belly.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2010, 10:36:02 PM »

I'm not sure if this is considered spoiler worthy but just in case:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Lou Diamond is listed on IMDB as apprearing in only 12 episodes, the last one being next season's premiere.  The doc is listed at 30 episodes so clearly she's fine.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2010, 11:29:05 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 14, 2010, 05:58:43 PM

I was wondering if they'd go Voyager as well, but then I saw Rhona Mitra is too busy with The Gates. 

yeah, like that's going to last very long  Tongue

Because I can,
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2010, 02:32:06 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on June 14, 2010, 01:25:22 PM

Ah, see - my understanding was that all the stargates had it but it was a problem with power that prevented it to be dialed (IE: When you dial it, the planet's naquadria core overloads... or something)

So then - what is the Destiny's pre-programmed purpose?
As I understand it, Destiny's original purpose was to explore the universe that had been pre-seeded with stargates.  It is following a trajectory made by even older seeder ships that dropped the stargates onto the planets the SG folks land on.  Eli is the one who figured out that even though the 9 chevron address was originally designed to be dialed only from earth, you cuold change it to dial from anywhere...IF you had the massive power needed to be able to establish a wormhole that traveled that distance.  Unfortunately, as written above, the only 2 planets discovered to be able to do that have met with disastrous ends.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2010, 07:40:04 PM »

No comment on the last ep?  That was awesome!  It was like a blend of Stargate, and the Good, Bad and the Ugly.  Even the music on the planet fit perfectly.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2010, 07:45:56 PM »

I've been liking the whole second season so far, but last night it felt like they kicked a puppy on screen.

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2010, 11:21:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 18, 2010, 07:45:56 PM

I've been liking the whole second season so far, but last night it felt like they kicked a puppy on screen.

Not sure who you are referring to as the puppy, the hot chick (Gin), my sad chunky Eli, or the undertaker (that's what my friend and I call that bad guy from Prison Break/Heroes)?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2010, 11:26:23 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 18, 2010, 11:21:30 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 18, 2010, 07:45:56 PM

Not sure who you are referring to as the puppy, the hot chick (Gin), my sad chunky Eli, or the undertaker (that's what my friend and I call that bad guy from Prison Break/Heroes)?
Spoiler for Hiden:
Eli. After pining for Chloe he finally hooks up with Gin (who is a serious hottie) and then loses her

I don't think anyone could apply 'kicked puppy' to Teabag unless they were describing something he might do.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2010, 09:09:11 AM »

apparently the ratings have been averaging below .5 for the autumn season, and the show will not be back for a third season.  since I doubt the series will get a proper ending then off my DVR it goes!  I wonder what this means for the franchise-  the Atlantis movie looks like it's never going to happen and it'll be the first time since 2002 that Sci Fi doesn't have an active Stargate series.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2010, 02:17:54 PM »

I wasn't heartbroken to hear about Caprica's cancellation, but I really liked SGU.  By keeping the aliens to a minimum on the show, they kept a sense of mystery about the universe they inhabited. When aliens DID show up, they were all the more interesting for it.

I think a large part of the problem for scyfy is that they pump a lot of money into these things and then act surprised when they don't get significant returns on their investment.  BSG ended up costing them a bundle, but the prestige the show received from the numerous awards made it more of a flagship franchise for drawing folks to the channel so they would hopefully stay for other things, imho.

I thought SGU was a nice balance between budget and story, but I guess other folks didn't feel that way.

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2010, 03:26:53 PM »

Stargate Universe has been one of only a handful of shows I've been watching lately. Really sad to see it go. I liked SG1 and Atlantis but I thought SGU was better than both of those shows; I loved the ongoing storyline, the dynamic between the characters, and the slow burn they had with the overall story arc. I felt more invested in this iteration of the franchise than I ever did with the shallow 2D characters and villains of Atlantis. It deserved better.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: