http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 01:45:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stargate Universe  (Read 6154 times)
MonkeyFinger
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2009, 01:05:18 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on October 04, 2009, 05:36:35 AM

Also, maybe I missed something, but if they're on a ship and the Stargate is broken and they can't use it to bring them home, then isn't the point of this being a Stargate show moot if they can't use it? When will they ever get to use it?

It's not broken and in fact the ship is establishing wormholes for them automagically now, some sort of pre-programmed hunt for resources with a 12 hour window that looks like a plot element they'll rely heavily on, if I had to guess. We've gone from 7 symbol addresses to 8 symbols and now to 9 with this show and I think the only 'brokenness' is in their understanding of exactly how to use all 9 symbols to get home and getting the power required to do so... without killing themselves in the process.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2009, 09:53:52 PM »

Anyone else think the potentially crazy/self-absorbed lead scientist with long hair was awfully similar to BSG?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2009, 09:57:56 PM »

If SyFy wanted to remake or copy something then they should have used Farscape.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:31:16 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2009, 10:28:36 PM »

Need I remind everyone that it's being written and filmed in Vancouver, Canada. Thefore it will be nothing short of awesome. And it's not that I'm being biased or anything, as I personally didn't care for SG1 or SGA.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2009, 11:40:06 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on October 04, 2009, 10:28:36 PM

Need I remind everyone that it's being written and filmed in Vancouver, Canada. Thefore it will be nothing short of awesome. And it's not that I'm being biased or anything, as I personally didn't care for SG1 or SGA.

the first 2 series were also filmed up there.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2009, 01:02:05 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 04, 2009, 01:05:18 PM

Also, maybe I missed something, but if they're on a ship and the Stargate is broken and they can't use it to bring them home, then isn't the point of this being a Stargate show moot if they can't use it? When will they ever get to use it?

It's not broken and in fact the ship is establishing wormholes for them automagically now, some sort of pre-programmed hunt for resources with a 12 hour window that looks like a plot element they'll rely heavily on, if I had to guess. We've gone from 7 symbol addresses to 8 symbols and now to 9 with this show and I think the only 'brokenness' is in their understanding of exactly how to use all 9 symbols to get home and getting the power required to do so... without killing themselves in the process.

Ok, but I could of sworn that the Stargate that they went through that got them onto the ship in the first place was on Icarus. Not only that, but the ship... Eli mentioned in the second half that this was his second ship he's been on since "yesterday". Second? I thought they only had one ship; one ancient ship.

It was a confusing mess with the back and forth all the time, that I don't really know where things were.

Quote from: Azhag on October 04, 2009, 09:53:52 PM

Anyone else think the potentially crazy/self-absorbed lead scientist with long hair was awfully similar to BSG?

Yeah, reminds me of Baltar. Right down to the same accent Baltar had.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:07:43 AM by Rumpy » Logged
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2009, 01:29:01 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on October 05, 2009, 01:02:05 AM

Ok, but I could of sworn that the Stargate that they went through that got them onto the ship in the first place was on Icarus. Not only that, but the ship... Eli mentioned in the second half that this was his second ship he's been on since "yesterday". Second? I thought they only had one ship; one ancient ship.

It was a confusing mess with the back and forth all the time, that I don't really know where things were

they went through the stargate on Icarus using the nine-symbol address just as the planet was being destroyed and wound up on the ancient ship millions of light years from earth.  Eli mentioned that he was on two ships because he was initially transported onto the Hammond when he didn't take their job offer seriously...beamed onto the Hammond at the beginning, then wound up on the ancient ship after evacuating through the stargate.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2009, 07:56:08 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 04, 2009, 11:40:06 PM

I know, I know. I didn't say the other 2 weren't worth watching and not quality, just that they weren't my cup of tea. There's obviously something to the series as it's about to enter it's 3rd iteration. I mean, other than Star Trek, what SciFi series has ever done that?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 03:21:34 PM by kronovan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2009, 08:30:29 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on October 05, 2009, 07:56:08 AM

just that they weren't my cup of team.

hey, if you want a cup filled from your team... well, let's just say I'm not going to judge you on your lifestyle choice  icon_twisted

Because I can,
warning

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2009, 11:31:50 AM »

I know, I know. I didn't say the other 2 weren't worth watching and not quality, just that they weren't my cup of team. There's obviously something to the series as it's about to enter it's 3rd iteration. I mean, other than Star Trek, what SciFi series has ever done that?

Doctor Who has had two or three spin-off series.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2009, 03:19:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 05, 2009, 08:30:29 AM

hey, if you want a cup filled from your team... well, let's just say I'm not going to judge you on your lifestyle choice  icon_twisted

Yaah, yaah...fixed that. Personally, I can't even fathom what a 'cup of team' would be.   icon_confused
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 03:23:13 PM by kronovan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2009, 03:27:38 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on October 05, 2009, 03:19:53 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 05, 2009, 08:30:29 AM

hey, if you want a cup filled from your team... well, let's just say I'm not going to judge you on your lifestyle choice  icon_twisted

Yaah, yaah...fixed that. Personally, I can't even fathom what a 'cup of team' would be.   icon_confused

whole team, one cup....

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2009, 03:31:42 PM »

Quote from: warning on October 05, 2009, 11:31:50 AM

I know, I know. I didn't say the other 2 weren't worth watching and not quality, just that they weren't my cup of team. There's obviously something to the series as it's about to enter it's 3rd iteration. I mean, other than Star Trek, what SciFi series has ever done that?

Yup, that would be the other one. But did the spin-offs get shown in a prime time slot and run for 5+ seasons like the SG and ST series did? I personally don't know, as I only ever watched the original eons ago and at the time it aired Saturday morning.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2009, 04:36:22 PM »

I liked it... pretty much.  It did seem like they were at times trying to figure things out as they were filming...but I kinda like the dark bits and the idea with the ship stopping etc....was pretty good.

The one thing I really like but really hate/like is Eli...wtf...take the guy that lives with his mom in a basement is just too geeky and silly to like...and not to like as well.  And how he got there was just... well not sure what to say about that

Eh, I'm in cause I dig Stargate-- at least we know it won't be cancelled after 4 episodes.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2009, 06:01:05 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on October 05, 2009, 03:31:42 PM

Quote from: warning on October 05, 2009, 11:31:50 AM

Yup, that would be the other one. But did the spin-offs get shown in a prime time slot and run for 5+ seasons like the SG and ST series did? I personally don't know, as I only ever watched the original eons ago and at the time it aired Saturday morning.

Well, the only one I can think of that does that is Torchwood. It has run for 2 seasons so far, but not sure about a 3rd. And then there's a Dr Who cartoon series and a Sarah Jane spinoff.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2009, 08:06:05 PM »

Well this is defintly a BSG influenced series with the tone they have set. They're pretty quickly up front showing people this isn't going to be in the same mold as the previous two (which I never got into much myself) with the set ups of tension/conflicts between characters. I liked the pilot enough to keep watching for now at least.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 08:09:27 PM by Jumangi » Logged
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2009, 05:03:01 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on October 05, 2009, 01:02:05 AM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 04, 2009, 01:05:18 PM

It was a confusing mess with the back and forth all the time, that I don't really know where things were.

Quote from: Azhag on October 04, 2009, 09:53:52 PM

Yeah, reminds me of Baltar. Right down to the same accent Baltar had.

By the end of SG1 and Atlantis, Earth has had up to three of their own hyperspace capable ships (thanks to the Asgard and some scavenging).  Eli was beamed up to one of them, taken to another planet 21 light years away, where they were using the planet's core to provide the power to lock in the 9th chevron.  The syndicate attacked the base there, the Icarus recovered the fighter craft and some base personnel from the planet and jumped out.  The rest of the people on the base went through the gate and ended up on Destiny.

(Yes, I am very much an SG1/SGA/SGU fan. )

It was a rocky start to the show, though admittedly, early SG1 doesn't look that great to the new viewer.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2009, 07:12:02 PM »

I loved the first episode.

However, I am concerned that Stargate Universe will fall into the standard stargate trap. HUGE episodes at the starting point, mid point and end of a season - but with most eps filling the gaps between being anywhere from punchedinthegroin awful and merely passable, with maybe one or two being genuinely good. (Atlantis most certainly felt that way to me, and in the later years of sg1 with the Orii running around the random eps really felt out of place.)

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »

SyFy always claims lack of funds for 90% of the eps with only a few being full blown cool. Im to the point where if they cant afford to make a show right then just dont make one.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2009, 11:27:20 PM »

Ok I just watched it. Unbelievable..I liked it. I did not like the back and forth timeline. I never do.  And ok ok the blonde is hot. But the Senator's daughter brunette is hotter.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2009, 11:32:47 AM »

I just thought of something from the opener.

Spoiler for Hiden:
3 or 4 Lucien Alliance ships attack the Hammond. That ship is Stargates latest and greatest. It has Asgard shield AND beam weapons. The very same weapons that could take out Ori ships in 3 shots. So why is it  when the planet blows that there are still 3 or 4 Lucien ships ?? They should have blown them to bits within the first 1 minute.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2009, 01:56:30 PM »

OK, so what came off the ship there at the end?  icon_confused

-craig

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2009, 02:02:12 PM »

I think that was a shuttle that came off. It's supposed to the be question you're left wondering  Tongue
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2009, 02:03:03 PM »

It's working!  icon_biggrin

-craig

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2009, 03:09:43 PM »

What came off...
Spoiler for Hiden:
I think it was the shuttle with the senator's body so he didn't just sit there and rot for the entire series?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2009, 04:25:21 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
When  they found the air scrubbers borked and needed to repair them with ancient stuff..did anyone else wonder whats in the ancient crates on board the ship? I mean they sent this ship out ahead and planned to join it later. Surely they fully stocked the thing with everything they'd need to repair it with.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2009, 11:59:34 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 10, 2009, 04:25:21 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
When  they found the air scrubbers borked and needed to repair them with ancient stuff..did anyone else wonder whats in the ancient crates on board the ship? I mean they sent this ship out ahead and planned to join it later. Surely they fully stocked the thing with everything they'd need to repair it with.

Spoiler for Hiden:
That's for the last show...they open everything up and find out that they contain everything they actually needed to get home and fix the ship, including two crates full of ZPM's, and that they didnt need to leave it to begin with.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2009, 03:08:10 PM »

So - four hours in. Personally, I really have found myself enjoying it. I could do without the meeting stones back to earth with the whole 'oh, I look different but I'm visiting my loved ones' thing that seems like it'll affect every single episode to come -- but that's really the only part of it that I'm not digging.

What's everyone's take on the series so far?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2009, 03:16:46 PM »

I agree on the meeting stones, first time they used them to visit the senators wife I was confused and thought it was another flashback.  I haven't seen Fridays episode yet but I'm liking it too.

Because I can,
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2009, 03:32:10 PM »

thumbsup

Although I recall someone bringing up the fact that using the meeting stones to go see an estranged spouse instead of having Daniel Jackson go to the ship to fix it was pretty lame....and it is.

Other than that, definitely digging it.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2009, 03:33:42 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on October 20, 2009, 03:08:10 PM

What's everyone's take on the series so far?

It is fine but I really wish something would happen!  Realistically they got to Destiny, sealed leaking air vents (with a senator!) gated to a planet, found the mineral, power went out, and the ship braked around a gas giant.  To me that is a 2 hour premier not 4 hours of time.  Way, way to much time with flashbacks and stone using.  

It could be fine but can they really continue the "crisis" of the week thing?  How many systems can break on Destiny.  Enough for one season?  What is going to happen in season 2?  

Anyway it is probably better than any other sci-fi on tv right now but that isn't saying much.  

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2009, 03:35:01 PM »

Quote from: walTer on October 20, 2009, 03:32:10 PM

Although I recall someone bringing up the fact that using the meeting stones to go see an estranged spouse instead of having Daniel Jackson go to the ship to fix it was pretty lame....and it is.

+1  Why aren't McKay, and Carter using the stones all the time to figure out how to help?  Instead we have stereotypical ego guy 101 Rush. 

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2009, 04:43:44 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on October 20, 2009, 03:35:01 PM

+1  Why aren't McKay, and Carter using the stones all the time to figure out how to help?  Instead we have stereotypical ego guy 101 Rush. 

Yeah that doesn't really make any sense either. Instead we get pissed off Colonel dude that is useless and no help but at yelling at people. Which seems to constitute 3 quarters of series WE SOLVE PROBLEMS BY YELLING AT EACHOTHER ALL THE TIME. SO EFFECTIVE.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2009, 12:32:21 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on October 20, 2009, 04:43:44 PM

Quote from: farley2k on October 20, 2009, 03:35:01 PM

Yeah that doesn't really make any sense either. Instead we get pissed off Colonel dude that is useless and no help but at yelling at people. Which seems to constitute 3 quarters of series WE SOLVE PROBLEMS BY YELLING AT EACHOTHER ALL THE TIME. SO EFFECTIVE.

I've now seen the first 3 episodes and I kind of like the grittier feel and the Voyager-esque perspective, but I can't help but think McKay and/or Amanda Tapping would have solved the whole problem in about 15 minutes, particularly if someone put a gun to Rodney's head.  They could also use some hotter people.  That said, I'm really digging Eli; David Blue is a cutie, and it never hurts to introduce a character playing an MMORPG  icon_wink
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2009, 04:14:45 AM »

This is the first Stargate TV show for me and I like it but don't love the show yet.

Seems like Lou Diamond Phillps and Ming-Na characters are being under-utilize and
I just want to beat the sh!t out of Dr. Nicholas Rush.  mad
That arrogant SOB makes my blood pressure go up. I like the actor Robert Carlye but just can't stand the Dr. Nicholas Rush.

I do love Eli and Elyse (Senator's daughter)  nod
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2009, 04:22:28 AM »

Philips character seems to be the series designated pain in the ass.  my prediction:

Spoiler for Hiden:
at some point he hijacks Colonel Youngs body for an episode or two, pretending to be Young while Young is held hostage in his body on Earth.

I have to hand it to them, there's no lack of hot chicks on the ship.

Because I can,
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2009, 03:28:46 PM »

Although, when Rush woke up after being drugged, he did apologize and he seemed a bit more likable after that...but I am not sure how long that will last.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2009, 03:59:53 PM »

Quote from: biggercup on October 22, 2009, 04:14:45 AM

I just want to beat the sh!t out of Dr. Nicholas Rush.  mad
That arrogant SOB makes my blood pressure go up. I like the actor Robert Carlye but just can't stand the Dr. Nicholas Rush.

that means the actor is doing a good job...

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2009, 06:46:57 PM »

Quote from: biggercup on October 22, 2009, 04:14:45 AM

Seems like Lou Diamond Phillps and Ming-Na characters are being under-utilize and

I'm sure Ming Na's time/plotlines are coming, as they've already made a fuss about her being the first major gay/lesbian character in SG.  Plus I read they cast Reiko (24's Michelle, also in AvP) Aylesworth as her (on earth) girlfriend!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2009, 08:53:17 PM »

Oh goodie!  She can use the stones to talk about their relationship issues like everyone else has.  That will be great. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: