http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 04:37:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stardust [2007]  (Read 1683 times)
jimmyorr99
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2007, 07:55:38 PM »

Plot:
In a countryside town bordering on a magical land, a young man makes a promise to his beloved that he'll retrieve a fallen star by venturing into the magical realm.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486655/

Looks like it's actually a pretty interesting fantasy movie. There's also a ton of talented actors (including DeNiro) attached to the picture, which is great news. This is a new direction for DeNiro, but I've got faith in him, I didn't think he could handle Meet the Fockers, but he was superb. Looking forward to this.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 08:18:30 PM »

Saw the trailer the other day.  I like fantasy movies, but I'm not excited over this one.  I do like the idea that DeNiro is trying to stretch out, but he is such an accomplished actor he do a movie like this and not have it held against him

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 09:18:25 PM »

The book is fantastic - written by Neil Gaiman.

He's been blogging lots of stuff about the making of the movie during the process - very interesting stuff:
http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 11:46:47 PM »

Didn't seem like that much of a stretch to me.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 12:35:08 AM »

I'm waiting for this one myself.  I've seen it compared to The Princess Bride in terms of tone.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 01:29:38 PM »

Quote from: pricecs on July 17, 2007, 09:18:25 PM

The book is fantastic - written by Neil Gaiman.

He's been blogging lots of stuff about the making of the movie during the process - very interesting stuff:
http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/
Ah yeah, I forgot to mention that. That's really cool, just even more talent in this movie. And RE the earlier comment about DeNiro, I think he's trying to diversify his filmography a little bit. He's a pretty talented actor, so I for one don't have a problem with it.

unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 04:55:05 PM »

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 04:56:39 PM by unbreakable » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 11:29:16 PM »

The previews I've seen make it seem pretty cheesey, but it might be decent.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 06:02:26 PM »

Every preview I have scene looks lame to me to but that doesn't mean it would be a bad movie. Still....

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 08:36:20 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 17, 2007, 08:18:30 PM

Saw the trailer the other day.  I like fantasy movies, but I'm not excited over this one.  I do like the idea that DeNiro is trying to stretch out, but he is such an accomplished actor he do a movie like this and not have it held against him
Did you see Analyze This?

PSN ID: EduardoX
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 10:53:38 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on July 19, 2007, 08:36:20 PM

Or the sequel.  Actually, the last few movies I've seen DeNiro in haven't been all that great.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 01:10:59 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on July 19, 2007, 10:53:38 PM

Quote from: Eduardo X on July 19, 2007, 08:36:20 PM

Or the sequel.  Actually, the last few movies I've seen DeNiro in haven't been all that great.
Really? I thought he was good in Meet the Fockers. He was also pretty good in hide and seek, which I found genuinely creepy. I wouldn't think he'd be anything but quality in this film.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 03:35:03 AM »

Quote from: jimmyorr99 on July 17, 2007, 07:55:38 PM

Looks like it's actually a pretty interesting fantasy movie. There's also a ton of talented actors (including DeNiro) attached to the picture, which is great news. This is a new direction for DeNiro, but I've got faith in him, I didn't think he could handle Meet the Fockers, but he was superb. Looking forward to this.

Why would you think he couldn't do Meet the Fockers when he'd already done Meet the Parents? smile

Anyway, all the short previews made this look crap IMO. However, I saw an extended preview in front of 1408 today and I thought it looked much better. I'll probably check it out on DVD.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 05:14:11 PM »

as long as this doesn't pull the fantasy cocktease and show us all fantasy scenes when more than half of the movie takes place in the "real world".  i'm looking at you, pan's labyrinth and bridge to terrible-ithia  finger

ftr, i did like pan's labyrinth, even though it was a bit rough.  unless this gets high praise from the forum crew, it will be a rental.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 01:40:59 PM »

Quote from: Caine on July 24, 2007, 05:14:11 PM

as long as this doesn't pull the fantasy cocktease and show us all fantasy scenes when more than half of the movie takes place in the "real world".  i'm looking at you, pan's labyrinth and bridge to terrible-ithia  finger
I didn't know if I should expect this at first personally, but the fact that the rundown says he's going to journey into the magic world to solve his problems, it's led me to beleive it'll take place mostly in the "other world" which will no doubt be very cool.

unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 03:03:42 PM »

I saw this last night.  IMO, it's a 4-star movie.

If you liked The Princess Bride, it's a must-see.  If you didn't... it's a must-see.  It was funny, had some plot twists (but nothing stupid), and was pretty fun.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 03:28:16 PM »

Saw it a couple weeks ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it.   It won't blow you away, but it's a solid, fun, exciting movie that gets nearly everything right.  Some of the storyline transitions were a bit tough to follow, but that's a very small gripe in an otherwise great film.  BTW, Deniro is farking hilarious.  One of his scenes had me laughing harder than I have at a movie in years.

Unfortunately, it has completely tanked at the box office.  $35 million revenue against a production budget of $70 million, last I checked.  frown

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2007, 03:35:26 PM »

I adored this film.  Easily the best film I saw all summer (although I didn't get a chance to see Bourne Ultimatum).  I promptly ordered the hardbound version of the graphic novel as soon as I left the theater.

Quote from: Gratch on September 15, 2007, 03:28:16 PM

Unfortunately, it has completely tanked at the box office.  $35 million revenue against a production budget of $70 million, last I checked.  frown

I think Paramount only paid a small fee to distribute it so they had no interest in the movie's success.  However I have heard that the movie was made with an idea for the international market so it's still possible the film could be successful. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 05:18:43 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 15, 2007, 03:35:26 PM

Quote from: Gratch on September 15, 2007, 03:28:16 PM

I think Paramount only paid a small fee to distribute it so they had no interest in the movie's success. 

Which would explain the lack of any sort of promotion at all.

unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2007, 05:53:39 PM »

I remember liking it from some previews, but it's nice to see advertising once the film is released, if for no other reason than to remind me of the film's existence.

But I have no doubt the film will do well on DVD.  They should really advertise the DVD release to capture the family market- they'll make a ton.  This is really a great fairy-tale sort of film.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 11:42:18 PM »

my friends and I gave it all a big thumbs up, with me saying deniro was by far and away the most entertaining part of the movie.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 04:32:37 PM »

Took my GF to see it, was heckuva good movie. A very solid flick with tons of different elements to appeal to all kinds.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 05:18:58 PM »

I though the parts with the brothers was hilarious.  That was a really funny idea to put in there, it worked really well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: