http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 11:40:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VII Director Revealed  (Read 11820 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2013, 11:09:34 PM »

I can see what you're saying, Pr0ner, but TiLT's point is that most would disagree with you, and I think the Google link does sort of show that. 

I also wouldn't go dropping the ignorance bomb about this.

In fact, my daughter has a very learned cello teacher who just yesterday pointed me to something she wrote that talks about performing Stravinsky, but imagining TIE Fighters during the Dance of the Earth section.  I brought up Holst and mentioned that he sounded a lot like Williams, and she said that Williams sounded a lot like Holst.

If you need further proof, let me just point out that I am agreeing with TiLT.  That alone should be proof.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2013, 11:10:35 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on March 02, 2013, 10:14:34 PM

I know all movie score composers borrow.  They borrow from other composers, and they borrow from themselves.  I know this more than most, as my several hundred CD soundtrack collection attests.  Yet, their music has an identity, a voice, that is THEIR OWN.  

Star Wars may owe something to Holst.  But it sounds like Williams, not Holst.

I don't know how much you know about orchestration, the art of arranging and combining the instruments of an orchestra to produce a specific sound. What you may or may not be aware of is that most of what you hear in orchestral music, even if it sounds like only a single instrument playing, is actually a layered performance by several different instruments playing on top of each other to complement and expand the final sound. There's a large difference between a trumpet playing solo, and a trumpet playing along with a flute, even though most people would never be able to recognize the flute's presence in the latter. These layers can become rather complex, combining brass, strings, woodwinds and even percussion in a rich sound palette that sounds much simpler than it really is. This layering is where the magic in orchestral music happens.

The "sound" a composer produces is very much based on how he layers these instruments. Specific ways to combine and use them becomes that composer's "signature" and the easiest way to recognize his work. John Williams' work, and particularly what he did for Star Wars and Superman, doesn't just borrow the themes from Gustav Holst's The Planets suite; It also borrows the orchestral layers, and this is what I'm talking about when I say he took his "sound" from Holst. The way Holst layered his instruments was stunningly unique, and John Williams took those layers and made them his own much, much later.

You may not think the two sound alike, and that is your opinion. You can't ask me to argue against your opinion. That's just nonsensical. All I can do is point to the technical foundation for Williams' music, which lies most heavily in his use of layers.

I know I saw a YouTube video a few years ago that compared many pieces of the Star Wars score to The Planets, but I can't find it any more. It was probably taken down because of copyright. The closest thing I could find right now is this, but that compares Williams to far more than just Gustav Holst. It's interesting nevertheless.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2013, 07:21:34 AM »

So, how about that director of the new Star Wars?   Head meets wall

Sandwiches do fix everything.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2013, 02:27:37 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 03, 2013, 07:21:34 AM

So, how about that director of the new Star Wars?   Head meets wall

Abrahms?  Hes good but his work seems a bit derivative of Gustav Holst's The Planets.   

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2013, 02:12:49 PM »

Yawn.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2013, 02:27:38 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on March 05, 2013, 02:12:49 PM

Yawn.

Gustav Holst used to yawn like that.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2013, 12:51:08 PM »

Carrie Fisher is in

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2013, 02:59:06 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 06, 2013, 12:51:08 PM

Gustav Holst would be intrigued by this.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2013, 03:50:34 PM »

cool stuff,so just Mark Hamill to go for the main three(and confirmation on Harrison Ford would be nice)

I still want Billy Dee 'Cool side of the pillow' Williams to be in there as well

I am guessing Kenny Baker,Anthony Daniels and Peter Mayhew will reprise their roles as R2,3PO and Chewie(although they are all getting on a bit now,Kenny Baker is 78,Anthony Daniels is 67 and Peter Meyhew is 68..and last i heard,everyone hates Anthony Daniels,LOL)

I hope they have a role for Warwick Davis as well icon_biggrin

some of the comments on that page Soul posted are funny

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2013, 03:04:06 AM »

Or not

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2013, 03:13:13 AM »

I hear Gustav Holst will be reprising his role as the Dianoga.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 07, 2013, 03:04:06 AM

Or not

what a bitch,i sent the link to my mate laughing because he said they(the original three) would never come back....now i am gonna look a right ..well what a bitch!  icon_frown

Hopefully he wont find out,and i will just leave it as it is and hope she does sign

edit: just saw this pic,not seen this one before
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:41:42 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »

Here's my take: She wasn't kidding (well, about the 'yes'), but the ink on the deal isn't dry yet.  Probably hasn't even been put to paper yet.  Statements like that mess up the negotiations, thus the retraction. 

Alternately, they asked, but since no one knows what's going on with the script yet,  they don't even know if they're going to use her or not.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2013, 11:11:09 AM »

Lando?

One time Harvey Dent Billy Dee Williams' most famous role remains that of Lando Calrissian, and given that it seems many Star Wars cast alumni are being re-recruited for Episode VII, it was always possible that he might be asked back to.

Turns out that he has been. Film Buff reports that Williams appeared at New Jersey-based Monster Mania convention that took place last weekend, and was asked whether he was set to appear in Star Wars: Episode VII. As the site reports, "Billy Dee said he has been asked, but he hasn't decided if is going to do it or not yet". The site notes that just a week or so before, Williams had said that he hadn't been contacted about the movie, so it looks as if things have started to fall into place over the past days.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »

I really hope he's in it.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »

I hope it doesn't come off tacky. We know Harrison Ford can still hold his own, but I don't know if I want to see fat Leia running around and Mark Hamill hasn't done live action in decades. I would have been fine with the movie starting at Luke's funeral or something.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2013, 09:29:04 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 14, 2013, 03:08:03 PM

I hope it doesn't come off tacky. We know Harrison Ford can still hold his own, but I don't know if I want to see fat Leia running around and Mark Hamill hasn't done live action in decades. I would have been fine with the movie starting at Luke's funeral or something.

I personally don't think Harrison has held his own for a decade, so I don't think we know even that for sure.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2013, 09:33:14 PM »

You guys seem to be forgetting that CGI is now the Hollywood answer to making older actors look whatever age you want them to be.

Spoiler for Hiden:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:38:41 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2013, 12:38:44 AM »

Carrie Fisher actually lost a bunch of weight not too long ago (though keep in mind this is a publicity "After" photo, so your reality may vary):

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2013, 07:19:52 AM »

Man, I had such a huge crush on her when I was a teenager... Oh well, we all get older!

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2013, 07:21:07 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 15, 2013, 07:19:52 AM

Man, I had such a huge crush on her when I was a teenager... Oh well, we all get older!

Yeah, but not all of us go through drug addiction hell. Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »

look so good after drug rehab you will not.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2013, 10:01:16 PM »

but I don't know if I want to see fat Leia running around and Mark Hamill hasn't done live action in decades.

I hear they have stand-ins ready:

Spoiler for potentially NSFW:

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2013, 07:09:51 AM »

You know, I'm perfectly find with older actors, so long as the roles they give them are old as well.

Shouldn't be too difficult really, although they'd have to skip over a lot of what could be extended fiction territory, that's probably a good idea anyway.

I'd like to see a new batch of heroes being emphasized. I dislike the same heroes being used over and over.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2013, 12:37:54 PM »

Harrison Ford update from Den of Geek

The actor revealed that he hasn't as of yet formally signed on for the film, but it's now looking very likely that he will.

"I think it's almost true", he told WGN TV. "I'm looking forward to it. It's not in the bag yet, but I think it's going to happen".

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2013, 09:15:44 PM »

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2013, 06:11:19 AM »

Olivia would make a great Princess Leia. Could you imagine Carrie Fisher wearing that costume again?  icon_eek

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2013, 06:35:03 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 26, 2013, 06:11:19 AM

Olivia would make a great Princess Leia. Could you imagine Carrie Fisher wearing that costume again?  icon_eek

icon_lol

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »

Harrison Ford on reprising old Characters:

Chatting to MTV, he was asked about whether he was interested in reprising the role of Han Solo in Star Wars or Deckard in Blade Runner. Ford said that " It might be nice, depending on the circumstances, to revisit any one of those characters. What interests me now is the opportunity to work at all and to work in ambitious projects. What I'm looking for is the next opportunity, the next ambitious opportunity. It doesn't matter if it's one of those. If it's one of those, great. If it's not, that's fine too".

Ford also downplayed his critical comments of George Lucas in the past, arguing "that was then, this is now. It doesn't matter".

I forgot all about the BladeRunner 2 rumours...surprising however to hear Ford say it might be nice to reprise Deckard,even if him and Scott are now friends(but then again,we know there were arguments,does that mean they were no longer friends then?)

and Ian McDiarmid on whether he would..or could be involved in Star Wars again

Ian McDiarmid has been chatting to Sci-Fi Now about returning to Star Wars, and while he's admitted that he's not expecting to turn up in the new trilogy (mainly because of the fate Emperor Palpatine met at the end of Return Of The Jedi), that doesn't mean that the door is closed to the franchise's world for him. "They've got lots of exciting ideas for spin-offs about separate characters and so on, and then there is the television series which George has talked about and decided to make into being for a number of years, and that takes place between Episodes III and IV when the Emperor is very much alive. So I think [the Emperor] probably does have a future".

For a moment i imagined a Ghost Emperor being the bad guy in VII  retard

good call on the spin off's,if they really are about certain character's past,it would make sense to involve the Emperor again somewhere in there,but i can't see a spin off based on the Emperor himself

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2013, 01:51:43 PM »

One person who has not been asked to return...well,yet

Warwick Davis

Warwick played Wicket The Ewok in Return of the Jedi and the Ewok movies and Wald in The Phantom Menace,as well as a extra in the Hutt scene at the Pod Races

"I'm not overly keen to jump in those furry feet again, but would like to be part of it."

Davis added: "I'd love a light sabre this time, who doesn't want a light sabre? I think a darker character, someone on the dark side would be interesting. When you're an actor, the baddies are the ones people remember."

Would you like to see Warwick Davis as a Dark Jedi or Sith??

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2013, 03:51:18 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 31, 2013, 01:51:43 PM

One person who has not been asked to return...well,yet

Warwick Davis

Warwick played Wicket The Ewok in Return of the Jedi and the Ewok movies and Wald in The Phantom Menace,as well as a extra in the Hutt scene at the Pod Races

"I'm not overly keen to jump in those furry feet again, but would like to be part of it."

Davis added: "I'd love a light sabre this time, who doesn't want a light sabre? I think a darker character, someone on the dark side would be interesting. When you're an actor, the baddies are the ones people remember."

Would you like to see Warwick Davis as a Dark Jedi or Sith??

Warwick Davis as an ewok Dark Jedi!  He could assemble a bunch of dark ewoks and it would be like a really scary furry convention!

on second thought, Im thinking any furry convention might be just a bit scary.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2013, 01:27:12 AM »

Abrams expects Gustav Holst to return to direct the score:

There were a number of questions for J.J. Abrams about Star Wars but he pushed those away by saying it was too early for decisions, however he did say that he expects John Williams to return and compose the score for Episode VII (something long-time Arams collaborator Michael Giacchino has said he supported).

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2013, 08:36:23 AM »

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2013, 10:06:02 AM »

Hurrah

New Star Wars film to be made in Britain

Disney's Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement: "We've devoted serious time and attention to revisiting the origins of Star Wars as inspiration for our process on the new movie, and I'm thrilled that returning to the UK for production and utilising the incredible talent there can be a part of that.

"Speaking from my own long-standing connection to the UK with films like Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Empire Of The Sun and recently War Horse, it's very exciting to be heading back."

Step in the right direction?

While the first Trilogy was here,I think the prequel trilogy were based in Australia

EDIT:  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:15:48 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 11, 2013, 10:06:02 AM

While the first Trilogy was here,I think the prequel trilogy were based in Australia

just 2 and 3.  The UK still shares the blame for 1.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2013, 08:07:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 11, 2013, 04:26:19 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 11, 2013, 10:06:02 AM

just 2 and 3.  The UK still shares the blame for 1.

Bah,gutted,LOL

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2013, 09:36:48 PM »

icon_lol

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2013, 11:01:10 AM »

Damon Lindelof speaks about World War Z,but also adds a paragraph at the end about Star Wars 7
Den of Geek

He also spoke of his potential involvement with Star Wars Episode VII. "When the news broke that Disney was going to do it, people were already tweeting, 'Just keep Damon Lindelof away from it.' when I saw that, I started realising that it would be a lose-lose for me in every way shape, or form".

icon_lol

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2013, 11:18:16 AM »

Joseph Gordon Levitt as Han Solo?

wait, what?

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2013, 11:25:48 AM »

I thought Episode 7 was like....based after episode 6,this is not a reboot

I could see him playing one of their brats..so who is Harrison Ford gonna play,his Pa?

Oh,god,i hope this doesn't mean Flashback

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: