http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 05:24:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars - Episode III Impressions (OMG SPOILERS)  (Read 9753 times)
Fireball
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2005, 06:25:55 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Wow.  I hated this movie.  It was so stupid, so weak and just so overdone.  

1. Why does Mace Windu go from wanting to arrest Palpatine to trying to kill him?  Just becuase that made it seem easier for Anakin to choose to attack him?  Makes no sense, none.

He was going to arrest Palpatine when it seemed like the Sith Lord was spent and powerless. After Palpatine struck back at him, he realized that he was too powerful to contain, and had to die.

2. What the is up with Padme "losing her will to live"?  That is just the stupidest reason on Earth!  Just having her die in child birth was fine, it worked, it was believable, it was neat.  The whole will to live thing was just cheesy.

That's mere opinion. I thought it worked well.

3. How come with "Order 66" Yoda can feel them dying but no other Jedi can?  Oh, right he is the best, coolest....or he just needed some cheap way to explain him living.

800 years of training? And who says that other Jedi couldn't feel it happening? Perhaps they were too busy dying to respond.

4. Do we really think Captain Antilies would keep C3-PO and R2 for roughly 15-18 years?!  And still be flying the same ship?  Oh sorry it was the same style....but the style of every other ship changed....just not that one.

No, that was the same ship. We don't know if it's the same Captain Antilles, but it's safe to assume it was. Given the delapidated state of the Galaxy in A New Hope, it makes sense that Senator Leia would still be travelling in the same vessel. Particularly with all of Alderaan's financial resources being put to use as part of the Rebellion.

5. If you love Anakin like a brother - don't let him fucking burn to death!  Just kill him mercifully![b/]  Seriously, I was just sitting there thinking - if that is what he does to his brother...well crap.  And come on!  If the goal was to kill Anakin why leave when he was still alive?  

I'll admit, I wondered this. But then, even if I loved someone, I'd probably be a bit pissed at him for trying to, you know, kill me, and I wouldn't want to walk down there and give him the chance to grab me and pull me into the lava.

[Oh sorry one last one....when did R2 learn to squirt oil out of himself?

Even droids must urinate?

El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2005, 06:54:41 PM »

I really liked it.

One nitpick: why in God's name did Grievous have a cough? (or at least, that's what it sounded like to me).
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2005, 07:07:31 PM »

Grievous was badly injured at the end of the second Clone Wars series, thus his cough early in ROTS and clutching of his chest.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2005, 07:16:03 PM »

I'm pretty much with Whiteboyskim on the Vader scene
Spoliers

I think its a crucial link between Anakin we see in the PT and the cold, remorseless Vader that dominated the OT.  To see Vader in the suit and here James Earl Jones' voice crying out for Padme and in despair humanized Vader in that suit for me and actually served to make his turn back to the light in ROTJ that much more believable.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2005, 07:18:33 PM »

Re: Captain Antilles and the ship from Episode 4.

I can't believe anyone would have an issue with that ship still being around at the time of the OT.  In today's modern Navy much of our fleet is 20 years older or more.  Why is it implausible to assume that would be different in the Star Wars universe?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2005, 08:16:04 PM »

Dafones, regarding Greivous:

SPOILERS

I even knew he was going to wield 4 sabers, but when he busted them out and started spinning two and cutting up the floor?!!?!?!?   :shock:   GOOD NIGHT!!!   I was in heaven.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2005, 08:28:25 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Re: Captain Antilles and the ship from Episode 4.

I can't believe anyone would have an issue with that ship still being around at the time of the OT.  In today's modern Navy much of our fleet is 20 years older or more.  Why is it implausible to assume that would be different in the Star Wars universe?
Really. The Falcon had been around for a long time before Han even owned it.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2005, 08:34:59 PM »

I have never seen so many hands cut off in one sitting.

OMG SPOILERZ

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2005, 08:36:51 PM »

***spoilers***

For me, the reason that scene at the end with Vader crying out "No!" is out of place is mainly because it reduces Vader to a semi-lame, comical figure.  I would have liked it better if Anakin would have lost that last bit of humanity as Anakin.   Once he is actually in the Vader outfit, he is the Ultimate Badass(second only to the Emperor).   I would not allow Vader(in the outfit) to ever appear to be anything less than that.

It makes sense that he'd have to get used to the new legs, to a certain extent. Anakin and Luke didn't exactly have to go through physical therapy to learn how to use their new hands, why should the legs be any different.  

I would have liked to see a scene where Vader sits up, stretches and flexes his legs. Then he asks the Emperor about Padme.  The Emperor tells Vader "You killed her, don't you remember?".  Vader tilts his head a bit, then says "Yes, as I kill all those who won't join us.", THEN he gets on his knees and calls the Emperor master.  That's how the real Vader would be.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2005, 08:43:05 PM »

The real Vader would have produced a cardboard cutout of Padme, then cut it in half.  qwned!!!  Tongue
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2005, 12:18:08 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Hey Mitch or someone else, can you please, for the love of god change the thread title to Spoilers or "includes spoilers" I wanted some good spoiler free commentary and ended up getting at least one part of the movie spoiled because there was no warning. Extraordinarily frustrating and annoying.

Will Do
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2005, 12:23:08 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
SPOILERS
I do like how only 3PO's memory was wiped. R2 knew everything throughout the OT, and that's awesome. R2 kicks the hell out of Goldenrod.

Did no one else have any problem with the way Vader screamed at the end? Just his posture I mean. It looked exactly like the Engergizer commerical from about ten years ago, where Vader fights the Energizer bunny and the batteries in his lightsaber run out. He screams "NOOOOO!" as the camera pans out.

I'm wondering if being a fan is actually detrimental to watching this movie. You know what it is - I was actually really scrutinizing each and every scene, waiting for the "exsquease me" moments. I don't think I gave Lucas an inch of leaway. I think that's why every unnecessary little robot gag got to me. I mean, sure, they were misplaced, but on the whole, the theatre seemed to enjoy them, but I didn't. Yeah, that's actually pretty close. I wanted to love the movie, but I was also ready to just tear into any stupid choice or inclusion that Lucas made. Hmm, I'll have to remember this next time I was the movie ... which I will, of course.

I was doing the same.  When I saw Dooku doing a back flip I wanted to yell OMG Really, an 80 year old man doing back flips.  So for a bout the first 10 mins I was doing this, and I told my self, I'm really not going to enjoy this if I nit pick from the start.  

So I stopped, I let the bad dialogue soak in, and the other small things that were a tad bit stupid, and just watched it for what it was.

It was a better experience.  rrmorton hates this statement, but, it's all in your state of mind.  If you are going to come in from the get go and nitpick and criticize there's no way you will enjoy any movie.  

It's find to reflect at the end, but it seems like many people were already ready to attack as soon as the scrolling title showed up on screen.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2005, 01:54:02 AM »

I just watched Phantom Menace again, just to see how it all fits together.

You know, what?  I really liked it. smile  That midichlorian bullshit kind of makes sense.

Plus, you know, I think the Darth Maul battle may be the best saber battle of the series.  Really. smile
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2005, 02:48:23 AM »

It is even better when played out via Legos.  Cool
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2005, 04:24:34 AM »

Quote from: "Driver"

You know, what?  I really liked it. smile  That midichlorian bullshit kind of makes sense.

I liked the ROTS allot too but thats still going to stay as a dumb idea on his part along with Jar jar. The force reduced to bactieria? No thats just lame.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2005, 04:46:01 AM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"

I liked the ROTS allot too but thats still going to stay as a dumb idea on his part along with Jar jar. The force reduced to bactieria? No thats just lame.

"The Force reduced to bacteria" is also a very inaccurate description of what midichlorians are. Midichlorians do not create the Force.

Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2005, 04:54:13 AM »

Plus, you know, I think the Darth Maul battle may be the best saber battle of the series. Really.

I agree.  There were some good fights in RotS but the Maul fight is still my favorite.  I loved the movie but was let down by the Jedi vs. Sidious fight.  I would have loved to see Sidious take on all 4 Jedi at once but it really doesn't happen.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2005, 08:27:18 AM »

They really should have kept some of these villians all the way through the main prequels, but we've heard that before.

I mean, it's like the original batman movies where they kill off the joker in the first movie.  Not a good idea.

Then they replaced him with Count Dooku, and don't even bother to build him up as a really nasty villian.  Sure, he does the usual maiming and killing, but that's just normal villian stuff.

Anyway, back the movie at hand.  These movies have been really inconsistant in terms of Jedi abilities.

Right off the bat I was annoyed by the fact that you have those little scrapper droids attaching themselves to Obiwan's fighter, then you have that complex sequence of them removing the droids.  What I thought at that point was why didn't the two jedi simply use the force to throw those droids off their hull?  I mean, they can fling people and big droids 20-30 yards away and lift X-Wing fighters out of bogs, but for some reason they can't fling some annoying little droids off their fighters.

Of course, this is what happens when you work in a vacuum as Lucas has lately.

I do like the movie, but I just wanted to chime in that I can certainly see why many would not.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2005, 04:34:35 PM »

why should the legs be any different.

Using your hands does not require the use of your equilibrium like your legs do. You'd be amazed how complicated standing on two legs really is.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2005, 05:49:23 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
why should the legs be any different.

Using your hands does not require the use of your equilibrium like your legs do. You'd be amazed how complicated standing on two legs really is.

Good point.  

Although I still say that if I were in control, Darth Vader in his black suit would NEVER be allowed to stumble.  Tongue
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2005, 05:49:37 PM »

"The Force reduced to bacteria" is also a very inaccurate description of what midichlorians are. Midichlorians do not create the Force.

But they do channel it and grant the host organism a sensitivity to the Force.

Is there any reason why a Jedi couldn't just give a blood transfusion to someone else and create a new Force-wielder?  After all, if Jedi are typically recruited as small children and are forbidden from marriage or procreation, they've got to have *some* way to reproduce.

-Autistic Angel
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2005, 06:25:29 PM »

Quote from: "Shifter"
Plus, you know, I think the Darth Maul battle may be the best saber battle of the series. Really.

I agree.  There were some good fights in RotS but the Maul fight is still my favorite.  I loved the movie but was let down by the Jedi vs. Sidious fight.  I would have loved to see Sidious take on all 4 Jedi at once but it really doesn't happen.

Yeah, the Sidious fight suffered from the Star Trek effect: you take one look at the 'away team " and you can tell they're all going down.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2005, 06:28:46 PM »

You could no more transfuse midichlorians through a blood infusion than you could transfer your own DNA through the same. Midicholorians live within the cells of Jedi -- they are effectively mitochondria, which are basically separate organisms that live within the cells of all animals here on Earth and make our manner of life possible.  Without them, we'd not be able to process sugars for energy, and thus evolution would not have produced the animal life we have around us.

Now, what you end up with is a philosophical argument. Since sentients are born, seemingly randomly, with midichlorians or without them, there's not a clear cause or effect relationship. Do the midichlorians produce Force sensitivity, or are they attracted to and colonize Force sensitive sentients?

In either case, their presence or absence is indicative of Force sensitivity. But it is not necessarily a causal relationship.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2005, 11:16:05 PM »

Saw it with the older two boys.  We give it a collective six thumbs up! I'm going to take the 6 year-old later this weekend and cover his eyes at some of the more intense parts.

My highlights:

Yoda coming through the door and slapping the two guards down like flies.  Yoda kicks ten tons of ass.

Ian McDiarmid!   :shock:   Wow he did such a great job!  Nuff said.

I loved the opening space battle.  Very epic.

Yoda's line "Go I will.  Good relations with the Wookies I have."  I've found my new signature.  Sir Mix-a-Lot goes into retirement.

Obi-Wan's lizard.  Loved that.

The extremely hot Twi'lek walking up the stairs in the low cut dress.  Yowza!

Only one brief scene with Jarring Jar.  As it should be.

Overall I was very impressed.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2005, 03:24:37 AM »

Quote from: "Fireball1244"

midichlorians having the force or being what gives it is lame, period. He added this on later obviously since Obi-wan in the origioanl trilogy says nothing ever about it. It was origionally a mystical force that all life has that binds etc etc. Thats fine. Dropping in bactieria as the part of it was just dumb. It makes the whole Jedi/Force thing start to sound cheesy, just keep it the way it was.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2005, 03:38:13 AM »

Quote from: "Fireball1244"

midichlorians having the force or being what gives it is lame, period. He added this on later obviously since Obi-wan in the origioanl trilogy says nothing ever about it. It was origionally a mystical force that all life has that binds etc etc. Thats fine. Dropping in bactieria as the part of it was just dumb. It makes the whole Jedi/Force thing start to sound cheesy, just keep it the way it was.

Wow, did you just ignore my last post? The midichlorians are not "bacteria," and describing them as such, or describing them as the "source" of the Force, is simply inaccurate.

Do I think they're somewhat silly? Yes. Did they have to be? No. Lucas screwed that one up, wrote unclear exposition and created a silly "controversy."

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2005, 04:59:29 AM »

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the one human on the planet besides Lucas that thinks the midichlorians were a good addition.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2005, 06:10:42 AM »

I never said they were a good addition. In fact, in the post above yours I called them "silly." Just because Lucas botched the concept doesn't mean the concept was necessarily doomed to be botched.

Simon

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2005, 06:19:00 AM »

I just watched Phantom Menace again, just to see how it all fits together. You know, what?  I really liked it.

I watched The Phantom Menace again tonight and I agree. For what it is it's actually pretty entertaining, and even more so if you just ignore all the Jar Jar silliness. It really doesn't add much to the overall saga but it does introduce the main characters, shows Palpatine scheming to gain control, and shows the first part of Anakin's path to the Dark Side, which was fear.

You know it hadn't occured to me before watching TPM again, but the whole fear leading to anger leading to hate is exactly what each of the three prequels are all about.

I haven't seen Sith yet but will this week. In the meantime, I've watched TPM, will watch AoTC and The Clone Wars cartoons, and then I'll be all ready for Episode III. smile
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2005, 08:09:49 AM »

Quote from: "Simon"
In the meantime, I've watched TPM, will watch AoTC and The Clone Wars cartoons, and then I'll be all ready for Episode III. smile

Definitely the way to go!

I watched the lot of them over last week and saw a mid-day showing on Thursday.

I have to say I appreciate both of the first two episodes more now that I've seen the third and the prequels are finished. Don't get me wrong, they're still technically bad overall movies, but that's never stopped me from liking a movie before slywink

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2005, 12:08:30 PM »

I liked the movie, but what the hell......i'll throw in some nitpicks as well: :wink:

Spoilers
-The Palpatine/Windu fight; did anyone else notice how out-of-place Palpatine looked in the beginning of that fight. What I mean is the actor himself didn't look very natural doing the fight scenes, but then cut away; and he appears the opposite because of the SFX.

-How easily the other Jedi in Windu's team were killed by Palpatine.
They just stood there.  :?:

-Since when did Windu be so powerful as to beat down a Sith Lord so easily? And along those lines, The 'Lord' came across as a bit of a puss in that fight.
It made me think that The Dark Side doesn't have a whole lot going for it.

-The General's 'cough' bothered me too, as did his 'limp' (just like Yoda's does) but then poof....he emerges as this super agile/strong machine  :roll:
And then a simple blaster does him in? Lame.

There were lots of cool scenes that made up for some of these nitpicks, however. And i'll be looking forward to watching this movie again and again.  :mrgreen:

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2005, 04:11:47 PM »

I believe it was in one of the DVD extras on The Phantom Menace that George Lucas explained he'd added midichlorians because people wanted to know why some people were strong with the Force and others weren't.

My question was: who, exactly, is asking that?  Has anyone in this thread *ever* spoken with someone who was consumed by curiosity over why Luke Skywalker could make a good Jedi, but Mon Mothma didn't?

Since when did Windu be so powerful as to beat down a Sith Lord so easily?

I'd recommend watching the first volume of Clone Wars if you get a chance.  Mace Windu is no slouch.

-Autistic Angel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2005, 06:28:28 PM »

Quote from: "zekester"
Since when did Windu be so powerful as to beat down a Sith Lord so easily? And along those lines, The 'Lord' came across as a bit of a puss in that fight.

First, Windu is supposed to close to Yoda in power.  Since Yoda gave Sideous a run for his money I don't have a hard time believing Windu could too.

Also, there is some speculation that Sideous was toying with Windu, waiting for Anakin to arrive.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2005, 06:52:45 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "zekester"
Since when did Windu be so powerful as to beat down a Sith Lord so easily? And along those lines, The 'Lord' came across as a bit of a puss in that fight.

First, Windu is supposed to close to Yoda in power.  Since Yoda gave Sideous a run for his money I don't have a hard time believing Windu could too.

Also, there is some speculation that Sideous was toying with Windu, waiting for Anakin to arrive.

I agree about Windu, he's obviously in a class with Yoda as far as combat powers go, maybe Yoda beats him in the 'foresight' power of the force.

Which brings me to the other thing I agree with. The Emperor all along has known how things would play out, until the end of ROTJ at least.  I believe he was toying with Mace.  I believe that the Emperor knew, once he saw that Mace did not bring Anakin with him, that Anakin would take that snubbing as a sign that the Emperor was right and the Jedi had their own powergrabbing agenda.  At that point, the Emperor knew that Anakin would come of his own accord(that's the kinda guy he is) and throw in with the Emperor.  He just had to buy time, keep Mace occupied.

Those other Jedi he killed, those WERE Jedi, not Padawans.  I believe the reason we saw him do that so easily was to show that he could have given a much stronger fight to Mace if he so desired.  I don't think Lucas would treat his Jedi as redshirts like that, there had to be a purpose to that.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2005, 08:35:21 PM »

I loved Palpatine's creepy faces during his fight against Windu and the other Jedi.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2005, 10:37:54 PM »

Ok, that does make more sense.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2005, 11:51:49 PM »

Quote from: "Zekester"

Ok, that does make more sense.

Especially when you consider that the three other Jedi Mace took with him were all Jedi Masters. The fact that Palpatine slew them without breaking stride yet toys with Windu means he's one powerful mofo. He went all out against Yoda, and we saw him fought to a stand-still. A Sith Lord's full powers are not to be underestimated, indeed.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2005, 12:16:08 AM »

From the starwars website:

In his day, Mace was one of the best lightsaber fighters of the Jedi order. It was said only two opponents ever bested him -- Yoda, and Dooku. Only the most skilled of the Jedi could master the his Form VII discipline of combat -- the deadly technique known as vaapad -- for its aggressive nature treaded dangerously upon dark side practices.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2005, 12:57:44 AM »

The thing that bothered me about the death of Windu's escort wasn't the fact that they were bested by a Sith Lord, but the fact that they were each struck down in a single blow.  I'm not sure why he even feels the need for an apprentice if he can single-handedly slaughter Jedi like they were standard droids.

-Autistic Angel
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2005, 01:01:08 AM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
The thing that bothered me about the death of Windu's escort wasn't the fact that they were bested by a Sith Lord, but the fact that they were each struck down in a single blow.  I'm not sure why he even feels the need for an apprentice if he can single-handedly slaughter Jedi like they were standard droids.

-Autistic Angel

I'm sure it gets lonely being emperor sometimes.

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: