http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 08:33:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars - Episode III Impressions (OMG SPOILERS)  (Read 9583 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2005, 08:09:38 AM »

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's everything I hoped it would be. More when I wake up... slywink

<mod note> added spoiler warning in title  - naednek

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 08:14:49 AM »

won't say much right now because i need some sleep, but HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP THAT WAS AWESOME!!!

i really don't think it could have been done much better...everything we all wanted to see and more.  in my opinion, the execution of Order 66 was one of the most perfectly done dramatics moments of the entire series.  contrary to some beliefs, lucas can still do a few things right Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Buldrhm
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 08:28:14 AM »

I spent the entire last hour and a half with my hand over
my mouth saying OMFG!!!!! over and over, initially this is
the best star wars movie ever, I WANT MORE GEORGE!!!!!
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 08:36:33 AM »

I have no idea how this movie can be soooooo good while the two before it had to be so terrible. All is forgiven though, because this movie picks up the slack and more to a degree that Im going to liken it to Empire Strikes back. It hangs in places, the dialogue is stilted and the love scenes are still terrible, but by god everything else was bliss.

8 out of a possible 8 tenticles.

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 08:37:25 AM »

:shock: <--- me for 2 1/2 hours.

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 08:54:28 AM »

Something I pulled off the OO forums, but in other words:

?
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 09:49:42 AM »

Awesome movie.  Still bad dialogue, but awesome.  It's the missing piece of the puzzle.  Fits perfectly
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 11:12:12 AM »

Shamlessly cut-'n'-pasted from my blog:

Sweet merciful crap.

I had anticipated that Episode III would be the best film out of all six solely by virtue of it being the darkest. After Episodes I and II though, I'm sure you'll forgive me for allowing my faith to have wavered a little. I'm giddy to report that my initial hunch was correct. Episode III is the best.

I've never really understood why Empire was the best film, even though I never disagreed with the assessment. Watching any of the first three films through today, frankly, bores me to tears. So much dead air, so many one-sided droid converations. So much pseudo-philosophical babble that you'd think Yoda went to acting school in the Matrix.

Episode III is distilled essence of Star Wars. A few good Yoda scenes. Seventy cool spaceship shots. Obi Wan's patented beard stroke. More lightsaber duel time than, it seems, all the other films combined. And all of it absolutely non-stop.

It's not perfect. The camera work in the opening sequence is positively distracting. The entire droid army appears to have been retrofitted with kazoos. Anakin's actual fall to the dark side is closer to a screaming, instantaneous plummet. And the odd awkward line can still be found, with accompanying stiff delivery (though they are rare enough, especially in comparison to the previous two movies, to overlook).

In spirit, it feels much more a peer of the original films than the prequels. That alone should make me happy, but the nagging voice in the back of my head is crying out in despair: "Why couldn't the other two be like that?"
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 11:14:30 AM »

I loved it.  I've been waiting to see this movie with much anticipation and I was not let down.  There were a few parts that I thought were a little hokey (a certain Darth Vader scene without giving any spoilers).  Other then that, I thought Hayden Christiansen was for the most part outstanding as he went through his transformation to the dark side.  I think the reason I liked this movie so much was the fact that emotion was brought back into the series.  A certain string of scenes almost made me lose it.  I'm sure others that have seen the movie can guess which scenes I am refering to.  Anyway, this movie was outstanding and left me wanting more Star Wars, and it is a struggle accepting that it is over.  However, I will definately see this movie again in the theater.  I say, even if you werent impressed with Episodes I and II like myself, go see this movie.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 05:52:06 PM »

Here's my take.

Non spoiler-  Excellent, with a couple of exceptions, Lucas pretty much answered all my questions.  Everything is just so much better and more 'natural' now, in terms of sfx.  It's like he can created an entire living universe at will.  There are shots in this movie that will be as memorable to me as anything in the OT.  

Ian McDiarmid gets a special nod from me as turning in the BEST acting in this entire series.  And it was critical too, because he had to be convincing beyond question for this whole 'Anakin falls to the darkside" storyline to work.  Damn, that old dude is such a snake!  And creepy too!

Balancing that excellent work....
Oh god, the scenes between Anakin and Padme are frickin' painful to watch.  For one thing, I thought Natalie looked about as bad as it is possible for her to look in a movie. That one scene on an outside balcony, when she turned around- AHHH!!!  She looked like she had spent the previous night reenacting Carrie Fisher's SW era coke binges.

Spoilers rest of the way***

A couple of disappointments were the lack of explanation of why R2 doesn't fly in the OT, when we clearly see him flying in the PT.  I thought Bail Organa said to wipe both their memories but someone I was with said  he only mentioned the protocol droid.

Also,  Anakin kills the younglings, KIDS!   While this is cool, in so far as it shows he is really a badass, it also puts a damper for me on Padme's "there's good in him" line, and Luke's "there's good in him" based actions, AND the idea of his redemption.  I mean, once you kill a bunch of kids, who really gives a crap if there's 'some' good in you?  Plus, does killing an evil guy really make up for the fact that you willingly joined up with that guy and killed kids for him?

Yoda and Obi-wan can come back in spirit form because Yoda found out the secret(from Qui-gon) and told Obi-wan- okay that's good. But why can Anakin come back?  He wasn't told the secret.  If he was taught it AFTER death, why weren't the other Jedi, who were honorable their WHOLE lives, and why didn't they come back? Jedi like Mace.

Certain scenes were either baffling or ran too long.  Baffling example- that scene with Anakin and Padme on some sort of balcony thingy.  Uh, where they in the same building?  Different buildings but in a psychic connection?  Just thinking about each other? Angry/sad/worried about each other? Thinking about their lives? I don't understand what the heck I was supposed to get out of that scene.

Too long example- Obi-wan chasing the General on that wheel thing.  That whole sequence should have been short and sweet, a brief chase followed by that fight.

The biggest problem for me-  the part where Darth Vader steps away from the table.  First, he stumbles and I, and apparently half the theater I was in, say "Frankenstein!".  C'mon, he looked like Herman Munster for a second there, admit it.  Second, when he yells out "NO!!!" .  C'mon, the Simpsons even parodied that ultimate movie cliche scene of a character yelling out "NO!" in frustration. Not to mention that it made him sound like a wuss.  Those two moments almost spoiled the scene I have imagined in my dreams these many years.  I say 'almost' because the previous shot of the mask and helmet being placed on him is one of those classic "I'll always remember this" moments I mentioned before.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 06:11:42 PM »

I pretty much didn't like this movie. The pacing in the last half was really bad.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 07:44:54 PM »

It seems to me that in the years between Episode II and III, Hayden Christensen successfully evolved from the worst actor on the set to being one of the best.  Even Ewan McGregor sounded pretty flat much of the time, and although I think Obi Wan was supposed to be struggling to maintain his Jedi training and control his emotions, McGregor didn't pull this off nearly as well as Christensen.

As for Natalie Portman, I don't think she could have been worse unless she'd literally delivered her lines by telephone.  While on a shopping trip.

The movie was pretty good besides that.  The only thing that bothered me was how, at the end of the film, all the characters seemed to just accept that they'd arrived exactly where they were supposed to be.  Considering how drastically the galaxy had changed in just a few weeks, I would have expected even a jedi to be a little more shell-shocked.

**** SPOILERS BELOW ****

I also thought one of the best moments in the film was when, during the execution of Order 66 on other worlds, Yoda suddenly dropped his cane and almost fell to his knees from the disturbances in the force.

-Autistic Angel
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 08:51:17 PM »

Kind of a spoiler...

Order 66 was by far the most powerful sequence in this movie.  When Yoda fell to his knees, I think that is about how the entire theater audience felt and that is what I really liked about this movie.  It finally played with emotions and I left the theater with a whole lot of feelings, something Episodes I and II didnt do, but something the OT did well.  

(edit) The scenes with Anakin and Obi-Wan near the end were also very powerful.  In fact, I would say that and Order 66 are by far the most powerful scenes from the first three episodes.  They are, to me, almost as powerful as Luke finding out that Darth Vader is his father in ESB.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 11:15:21 PM »

Loved it.

And even I must admit that Hayden actually did quite well.  I was expecting him to continue his absolute trainwreck of one of the coolest characters of all time.... but he actually did pretty good.  (I am so thankful).

Natalie was horrible, and I NEVER thought I would say that.

Lucas did it.  He really did.  The movie gets an A grade as far as I'm concerned.

And just how cool is Yoda anyway?   I'll tell you.... WAY COOL !!!!

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 11:25:43 PM »

wow.. just wow.. save for a couple of parts where you just wanted to slap one of the characters on the head for being stupid, this is easily my favorite SW movie after Empire.  I'm definitely seeing it again this weekend.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 12:15:11 AM »

gameoverman wrote:
Certain scenes were either baffling or ran too long. Baffling example- that scene with Anakin and Padme on some sort of balcony thingy. Uh, where they in the same building? Different buildings but in a psychic connection? Just thinking about each other? Angry/sad/worried about each other? Thinking about their lives? I don't understand what the heck I was supposed to get out of that scene.

Padme was in her apartment thinking of Anakin, and Anakin was  at the jedi Council (Conference room:P) thinking of padme.  Both were staring at the direction of where they were at.  Thought it was pretty clear.  

A couple of disappointments were the lack of explanation of why R2 doesn't fly in the OT, when we clearly see him flying in the PT. I thought Bail Organa said to wipe both their memories but someone I was with said he only mentioned the protocol droid.

I believe he said to wipe out both their memories.  I could be wrong.

gameoverman wrote:
Yoda and Obi-wan can come back in spirit form because Yoda found out the secret(from Qui-gon) and told Obi-wan- okay that's good. But why can Anakin come back? He wasn't told the secret. If he was taught it AFTER death, why weren't the other Jedi, who were honorable their WHOLE lives, and why didn't they come back? Jedi like Mace.

Maybe the councellor knew that power as well.

gameoverman wrote:
Too long example- Obi-wan chasing the General on that wheel thing. That whole sequence should have been short and sweet, a brief chase followed by that fight.

It didn't feel to long for me, maybe because they switched back and forth to different scenes during that sequence

gameoverman wrote:
The biggest problem for me- the part where Darth Vader steps away from the table. First, he stumbles and I, and apparently half the theater I was in, say "Frankenstein!". C'mon, he looked like Herman Munster for a second there, admit it. Second, when he yells out "NO!!!" . C'mon, the Simpsons even parodied that ultimate movie cliche scene of a character yelling out "NO!" in frustration. Not to mention that it made him sound like a wuss. Those two moments almost spoiled the scene I have imagined in my dreams these many years. I say 'almost' because the previous shot of the mask and helmet being placed on him is one of those classic "I'll always remember this" moments I mentioned before.

I thought this scene was a little hokey myself.  But Anakin has always whined in the prequels  (You don't see him doing that in ep 4,5 and 6) so it kinda fits the character as far as the prequels go.

Quoted by Autistic Angel
It seems to me that in the years between Episode II and III, Hayden Christensen successfully evolved from the worst actor on the set to being one of the best. Even Ewan McGregor sounded pretty flat much of the time, and although I think Obi Wan was supposed to be struggling to maintain his Jedi training and control his emotions, McGregor didn't pull this off nearly as well as Christensen.

I don't know, Hayden Christensen is actually a pretty good actor.  You should really check out Shattered Glass.  He totally carries that movie.  I think why he seems so bad in the star wars movies (mainly ep 2) is because of Lucas more than anything.  He was much better in Ep 3.

I really hated the interactions between obi-wan and anakin during the beginning of EP 3

With all that said, 4 out of 6 isn't bad Tongue
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 12:56:02 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"
gameoverman wrote:
Certain scenes were either baffling or ran too long. Baffling example- that scene with Anakin and Padme on some sort of balcony thingy. Uh, where they in the same building? Different buildings but in a psychic connection? Just thinking about each other? Angry/sad/worried about each other? Thinking about their lives? I don't understand what the heck I was supposed to get out of that scene.

Padme was in her apartment thinking of Anakin, and Anakin was  at the jedi Council (Conference room:P) thinking of padme.  Both were staring at the direction of where they were at.  Thought it was pretty clear.  

A couple of disappointments were the lack of explanation of why R2 doesn't fly in the OT, when we clearly see him flying in the PT. I thought Bail Organa said to wipe both their memories but someone I was with said he only mentioned the protocol droid.

Reading the SW boards, everyone says that only 3PO's memory was getting wiped.  So why doesn't R2 remember how to fly?  And even if R2's memory got wiped, why wouldn't Luke or someone say later "Hey, why can't this R2 unit fly like it's supposed to? Let's fix it."?

Thanks for clearing up the logistics of that nonspeaking scene.  Because the locations looked so similar in coloring and layout, I wasn't sure if they were in different rooms in the same suite(after an argument for instance) or in two entirely different places.  Due to the acting, I still have no idea WHAT they were supposed to be thinking, beyond a generic(and useless) 'of each other'.

The thing about the Emperor knowing how to come back as a spirit, and Anakin therefore learning it from him, could be I guess. But would Anakin really still be using any skills or powers learned from the Emperor after his redemption?  Would Yoda and Obi-wan be okay with that? Somehow I doubt it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 02:55:04 AM »

Is this a spoiler thread?

Space just in case
Gameoverman, during the Anakin Pade scene you mention, Anakin is coming to the decision to betray the Jedi.  He's thinking of Padme because he thinks that if the Jedi capture Palpatine then he won't be able to save Padme's life.  That's what leads him to go after Windu.

Padme is probably ruminating on how much Anakin has changed and how it could effect their relationship.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 03:36:31 AM »

Which still doesn't explain why R2-D2 can't fly in the OT, nor had a flexible arm which he can freaking catch with!

gameoverman wrote:
Yoda and Obi-wan can come back in spirit form because Yoda found out the secret(from Qui-gon) and told Obi-wan- okay that's good. But why can Anakin come back? He wasn't told the secret. If he was taught it AFTER death, why weren't the other Jedi, who were honorable their WHOLE lives, and why didn't they come back? Jedi like Mace.

It still is stupid.  Why?  Because it tried to answer a question no one had!  No one sat around going how come Qui-gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin can communicate from the beyond.  It wasn't an issue until Lucas tried to explain it!

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 03:44:51 AM »

Wow.  I hated this movie.  It was so stupid, so weak and just so overdone.  

1. Why does Mace Windu go from wanting to arrest Palpatine to trying to kill him?  Just becuase that made it seem easier for Anakin to choose to attack him?  Makes no sense, none.

2. What the is up with Padme "losing her will to live"?  That is just the stupidest reason on Earth!  Just having her die in child birth was fine, it worked, it was believable, it was neat.  The whole will to live thing was just cheesy.

3. How come with "Order 66" Yoda can feel them dying but no other Jedi can?  Oh, right he is the best, coolest....or he just needed some cheap way to explain him living.

4. Do we really think Captain Antilies would keep C3-PO and R2 for roughly 15-18 years?!  And still be flying the same ship?  Oh sorry it was the same style....but the style of every other ship changed....just not that one.

And most annoying.

5. If you love Anakin like a brother - don't let him fucking burn to death!  Just kill him mercifully![b/]  Seriously, I was just sitting there thinking - if that is what he does to his brother...well crap.  And come on!  If the goal was to kill Anakin why leave when he was still alive?  

Oh sorry one last one....when did R2 learn to squirt oil out of himself?

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 05:38:28 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

1. Why does Mace Windu go from wanting to arrest Palpatine to trying to kill him?  Just becuase that made it seem easier for Anakin to choose to attack him?  Makes no sense, none.

2. What the is up with Padme "losing her will to live"?  That is just the stupidest reason on Earth!  Just having her die in child birth was fine, it worked, it was believable, it was neat.  The whole will to live thing was just cheesy.

3. How come with "Order 66" Yoda can feel them dying but no other Jedi can?  Oh, right he is the best, coolest....or he just needed some cheap way to explain him living.

4. Do we really think Captain Antilies would keep C3-PO and R2 for roughly 15-18 years?!  And still be flying the same ship?  Oh sorry it was the same style....but the style of every other ship changed....just not that one.

And most annoying.

5. If you love Anakin like a brother - don't let him fucking burn to death!  Just kill him mercifully![b/]  Seriously, I was just sitting there thinking - if that is what he does to his brother...well crap.  And come on!  If the goal was to kill Anakin why leave when he was still alive?  

Thankfully I already saw this movie or I would have been pissed that you didnt put any spoiler warnings anywhere.  
Spoilers.....
Anyway, to answer #1 Mace Windu was going to arrest Palpatine the entire time.  Even when Windu had Palpatine pinned down with his lightsaber he kept saying "You are under arrest!"  He didnt fight him from then on until Palpatine was shooting the lightening at him.  The lightening caused Windu to try and protect him self by deflecting the lightening back.  The other stuff is just nitpicks in my opinion.  If that is going to ruin a movie for you so be it.  Really, I could care less if R2D2 used Jedi mind tricks in this movie, I still loved it.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 05:45:57 AM »

SPOILERS ......

-I hate Vaders "NOOOOO!" moment. Fuck. Mostly the stance. I love the setup - that moment where he understands that everything he has done, everyone he's killed, every rule he's broken - everything - was pointless. He did it all to save Padme, and she died. He became the second most evil mother fucker in the galaxy, and for nothing. That's awesome. The room tearing itself apart: awesome. The sheer rage of Vader at that moment is AWESOME, but he looks like an idiotic Frankenstein clone. FUCK. *sigh* Just have him tear himself away from the table and fall to the ground, supporting himself on his hands and knees, then scream and blow the room up. I did dig the first tentative steps though.

-The dialogue is still poor, still too on the nose, still rough draft "idea-logue" material, and not well re-written, subtle, natural dialogue.

-After Dooku is killed, I was actually kind of bored up until the Opera scene. Then things started to rock. But that was something like half an hour where I found the movie plodding along.

-The theatre was HOWLING with laughter when Palpatine's face melted. Don't think that was the mood Lucas was going for. I dug it though.

-I hate the voice of the droids - though the Neimoidians sound much better.

-Hated the lizzard Obi-Wan rode, but Greivous' wheel was cool.

-Oh damn, me and my buddy wanted to see Obi-Wan force-tear Greivous' heart out of his body ... but he picked up the blaster instead.

-Loved The Duel up until the floaty-lava-platform fight.

I love Star Wars enough to care this much about the little things, and I want to see this movie again, but hell, so much effort went into the movie, and I still think there were so many things that should have been changed on paper before even one frame of digital celuloid was shot. Whatever. Anyone can piss and moan, I guess. I'll just have to step up and make my own movie. Set aside the summer of '08.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 06:21:03 AM »

I'm just pissed they killed Ayan Secura (or whatever that petite twileck jedi's name was).  Tongue

Certainly no where near perfect, acting is still a problem, but I think Lucas has redeemed himself with this one.

I certainly agree with all of Farley's points, but I'm still wowed by the ending duel between

Although, I thought it rather corny how they introduced the whole force ghost deal.  They should have had Obiwan meeting with Qui-gon.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2005, 08:18:16 AM »

Just totally awesome!!!  I loved every minute of it!!!
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2005, 12:20:52 PM »

No Spoilers.

WOW!  What a movie.  Very powerful and thought provoking.  Had a very good Star Wars "feel" to it.  I'm actually going to go in the opposite direction of most here and say that Natalie's performance was very good.  I hated her performance in Episode's 1 & 2.  But, in this film she seemed to convey alot more emotion and was less "wooden" in her performance.  And, believe it or not, I thought the scenes between her and Hayden were very good and believable.  Hayden I give a big thumbs up.  Excellent and believable transition into Vader.

The ending combination of scenes was perfect and made me want to get home and watch A New Hope.

Quick question:  Was the sound in your theaters pretty low?  I could barely hear John Williams' music throughout the movie.  Even the 20th Century Fox fanfare at the beginning was too low.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Buldrhm
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2005, 12:21:35 PM »

Which still doesn't explain why R2-D2 can't fly in the OT, nor had a flexible arm which he can freaking catch with!

gameoverman wrote:

It still is stupid.  Why?  Because it tried to answer a question no one had!  No one sat around going how come Qui-gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin can communicate from the beyond.  It wasn't an issue until Lucas tried to explain it!

R2 may have had the flying equipment removed and something different installed, but where would have been a good place for R2 to fly in the OT?

Maybe Anakin found his way like Qui Gon did, and it still isnt really an issue.
Buldrhm
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2005, 12:27:03 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"

And most annoying.

Thankfully I already saw this movie or I would have been pissed that you didnt put any spoiler warnings anywhere.  
Spoilers.....
Anyway, to answer #1 Mace Windu was going to arrest Palpatine the entire time.  Even when Windu had Palpatine pinned down with his lightsaber he kept saying "You are under arrest!"  He didnt fight him from then on until Palpatine was shooting the lightening at him.  The lightening caused Windu to try and protect him self by deflecting the lightening back.  The other stuff is just nitpicks in my opinion.  If that is going to ruin a movie for you so be it.  Really, I could care less if R2D2 used Jedi mind tricks in this movie, I still loved it.

1 Because the emperor is EVIL, and controls the senate and courts

2 Her will to live was TAKEN from her by Darth Vader, you still do not understand the power of the dark side!!

3 yoda does have 800 years of force training to help him out

4 its not like the rebellion has a ton of money, why wouldnt he still have the same ship / droids?

5 Yes get closer to Darth Vader so that you could be sliced / burned as well, he loved him, that didnt blind him to what anakin has become.

I dont really expect this to help much, but its the best explanation i can give
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2005, 01:22:42 PM »

I'm with Starshifter on this one.  I thought both Portman and Christensen did a much better job this time around.  The dialog was clunky, but I thought they pulled it off well and there weren't nearly as many cringe-worthy lines.  I thoroughly enjoyed the film from start to finish and can't wait to see it again.  The only part I really didn't like was the whole Vader sequence at the end.  I think it would have made him so much more evil had he simply said, "She's dead?  I killed her?  Fuck her, she deserved it for betraying me."

As far as using the same ship 18 years later, remember that Leia was basically trying to travel around incognito when she was captured by Vader.  If you're trying to sneak around, are you going to take the nicest, most souped up ship that attracts notice, or are you going to drive something old, beat up, and inconspicuous to avoid notice?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2005, 01:34:53 PM »

My take on the Vader scene at the end (SPOILER):
Vader asking the Emperor about Padme and screaming NO! when the emperor told him that in his rage he killed her was EXCELLENT!  Did you notice the Emperor smiling as Vader freaked out, crushing everything in the room with the Force?  THAT was the final nail in the coffin that absolutely solidified his ultimate descent into the Dark Side.  Because the mere fact that he asked the Emperor about Padme was proof that there was some miniscule element of Anakin left.  The Emperor squashed that quickly.

XM Channel 76
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2005, 02:06:18 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I thought both Portman and Christensen did a much better job this time around.  The dialog was clunky, but I thought they pulled it off well and there weren't nearly as many cringe-worthy lines.

I think you've helped me figure why I thought both their performances were awful while many were saying Hayden was much better... I wasn't seperating the dialog from the acting. The dialog blows throughout and I guess I can't hold that entirely against the actors. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2005, 02:10:10 PM »

I'm on the same wavelength as Stardrifter on that thought (regarding Vader at the end).  That is how I looked at it also.  The Sith Master is one Evil son-of-a-bitch, that is for sure.  Vader is like fluffy the bunny rabbit compared to him.

I look at it this way: Vader is a confused and broken man who does really bad things because of his belief in having order (sith or otherwise).  

The Emporer is a truly evil man who does wicked things for total and ultimate control of as much as possible.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2005, 02:13:36 PM »

Another thing I just remembered about the ending (SPOILER):
Did you notice Obi Wan pick up Anakin's lightsaber as Anakin lay there burning?  I'm guessing that is the lightsaber that Obi Wan gives to Luke in A New Hope.  Cool huh?

XM Channel 76
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2005, 02:28:45 PM »

Yeah Starshifter, that is the lightsaber he gives to Like in ANH.

All of the complaints that I read did not register while watching the movie last night.  I am a star wars nerd, but even I thought there was cheese and bad acting in Eps 1 and 2.  I didn't have a problem with Ep 3 though.  It was fun, fun, fun.

It's being projected on an IMAX screen out here, so I think I might just have to go check it out on the IMAX for viewing 2. smile
DarkVulgar
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2005, 02:49:20 PM »

There is one big question that was brought up in EP3 but not answered.Is Palpatine Anakins father?I know sith deal in lies and deceit so it could have just been a come on but Anakins mom did get knocked up without having sex.Some might have missed the throw away line that a sith lord learned how to create life by manipulating medichlorines.That sith lord was Palpatines master.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2005, 02:53:20 PM »

My final thoughts before I head out of town for the weekend - when Vader first wakes he is still Anakin just badly injured. As Starshifter says, the Emperor took that away as quickly as he could and loved that his new servant was totally loyal and remained as powerful as ever. Those that bitch that Vader wasn't as cool as he was in the old series are missing the obvious point. Vader became as relentlessly evil and merciless as he was due to the events of Episode 3 and then having 20+ years to fume over them while locked in that suit shut away from ever seeing anything again as a normal man would.

Alright gang, I'm off to Lubbock for the weekend to visit the in-laws. Don't burn down the place in my absence. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2005, 05:23:06 PM »

Hey Mitch or someone else, can you please, for the love of god change the thread title to Spoilers or "includes spoilers" I wanted some good spoiler free commentary and ended up getting at least one part of the movie spoiled because there was no warning. Extraordinarily frustrating and annoying.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2005, 05:45:09 PM »

Quote from: "Buldrhm"

R2 may have had the flying equipment removed and something different installed, but where would have been a good place for R2 to fly in the OT?

Except that Lucas went to extreme lengths to spell every little thing out for us in this movie.  We see Obi-wan grab the light saber, we see the kids named, we see them in their new homes, Yoda says he will go into exile, etc. etc.

So it really strikes me as inplausible that he just didn't mention R2-D2 being changed.  Heck he even mentions having C2-PO's memory wiped.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2005, 06:06:18 PM »

Quote from: "Buldrhm"

So it really strikes me as inplausible that he just didn't mention R2-D2 being changed.

But is it really that big of a deal?  Honestly?  I'm as big of a Star Wars nerd as they come, but at some point you just have to say "Hey, this is fictional entertainment" and realize Lucas simply didn't have the means or need to make R2 fly in the OT.  So it wasn't explained away on the prequels... big deal. It just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, and certainly doesn't affect my enjoyment of the movies.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2005, 06:09:28 PM »

SPOILERS
I do like how only 3PO's memory was wiped. R2 knew everything throughout the OT, and that's awesome. R2 kicks the hell out of Goldenrod.

Did no one else have any problem with the way Vader screamed at the end? Just his posture I mean. It looked exactly like the Engergizer commerical from about ten years ago, where Vader fights the Energizer bunny and the batteries in his lightsaber run out. He screams "NOOOOO!" as the camera pans out.

I'm wondering if being a fan is actually detrimental to watching this movie. You know what it is - I was actually really scrutinizing each and every scene, waiting for the "exsquease me" moments. I don't think I gave Lucas an inch of leaway. I think that's why every unnecessary little robot gag got to me. I mean, sure, they were misplaced, but on the whole, the theatre seemed to enjoy them, but I didn't. Yeah, that's actually pretty close. I wanted to love the movie, but I was also ready to just tear into any stupid choice or inclusion that Lucas made. Hmm, I'll have to remember this next time I was the movie ... which I will, of course.

Oh man, did anyone notice that as Anakin was about to slaughter the Seperatist leaders, a pack of the little box robots from the OT, the ones that ran away from Vader on the Star Destroyer, fled away from Anakin? I LOVED that!

Oh, Greivous was way cooler than I expected. I was really worried about a lightsaber wielding robot when I heard about him, but Obi-Wan rightly kicked his ass, and I'm happy about that. Yeah, I loved how he was like, "Dooku has taught me how to use these," and I'm just thinking, "No he hasn't - and you're going to see that in a few moments."

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2005, 06:18:50 PM »

Well put Laner

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: