http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 12:00:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars Blu Ray!  (Read 12326 times)
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2011, 01:43:52 PM »

If you read that article, much of it was based on information gathered from other first hand sources. Like this:

Mark Hamil said:
"You can see a huge difference in the films that he does now and the films that he did when he was married. I know for a fact that Marcia Lucas was responsible for convincing him to keep that little 'kiss for luck' before Carrie [Fisher] and I swing across the chasm in the first film: 'Oh, I don't like it, people laugh in the previews,' and she said, 'George, they're laughing because it's so sweet and unexpected'-- and her influence was such that if she wanted to keep it, it was in. When the little mouse robot comes up when Harrison and I are delivering Chewbacca to the prison and he roars at it and it screams, sort of, and runs away, George wanted to cut that and Marcia insisted that he keep it." [lviii]

One interesting bit of trivia relating to her and Lucas' cinema is that Indiana, the Alaskan malamute that gave Indiana Jones his name and also gave Lucas the inspiration for Chewbacca, was in fact Marcia's dog, not George's. [lix] On the subject of Indiana Jones, Dale Pollock provides an anecdote which demonstrates how Marcia's presence in her husband's life influenced his films in subtle but significant ways--in this case, changing the ending for Raiders of the Lost Ark:

"[Marcia] was instrumental in changing the ending of Raiders, in which Indiana delivers the ark to Washington. Marion is nowhere to be seen, presumably stranded on an island with a submarine and a lot of melted Nazis. Marcia watched the rough cut in silence and then levelled the boom. She said there was no emotional resolution to the ending, because the girl disappears. 'Everyone was feeling really good until she said that,' Dunham recalls. 'It was one of those, "Oh no we lost sight of that." ' Spielberg reshot the scene in downtown San Francisco, having Marion wait for Indiana on the steps on the government building. Marcia, once again, had come to the rescue." [lx]

The fact that she left him for another man may explain why he is so intent on destroying things that she also may have influenced.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:47:21 PM by Jag » Logged
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2011, 02:28:36 PM »

Quote from: Jag on September 09, 2011, 01:43:52 PM

The fact that she left him for another man may explain why he is so intent on destroying things that she also may have influenced.

Why doesn't he think of the kids?  And by kids, I mean us.  And by us, I mean me.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2011, 02:35:07 PM »

The Blu-Ray is getting the full Amazon comments treatment, currently at 2 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Blu-ray/dp/B003ZSJ212/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1315578689&sr=1-1

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2011, 03:21:54 PM »

I just read a few Amazon reviews and I won't lie. This is the funniest, nerdiest shit I have ever read.

I'm going back for more.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »

After seeing the prequels, it's hard enough to still view Vader as that ultimate bad a** villian I feared in my childhood, but it's now near impossible to do it when he's chasing after Luke with a pink lightsaber.
icon_lol

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2011, 09:08:20 PM »

I guess I must be in a miniscule minority when I say that I am looking forward to buying the blu ray set. To me, the movies I grew up on went away when ep. 4, 5 and 6 became enhanced "special editions" in the late 90's. All these changes are needless and ridiculous for the most part, but underneath the CGI botox treatments, they ARE basically still Star Wars, and I can't just ignore that. Besides, my 7 year old daughter loves the Star Wars movies and she couldn't care less that they no longer resemble the movies I saw when I was her age. I can't allow personal nerd rage over all this to deny my kid the opportunity to create her own childhood memories of these movies.

Anyhow, I plan to buy the set and enjoy watching them with my kid. If anything, it'll be worth it for the superior video and audio quality on blu ray.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:10:08 PM by Jimmy the Fish » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2011, 09:09:34 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 09, 2011, 09:08:20 PM

I can't allow personal nerd rage over all this to deny my kid the opportunity to create her own childhood memories of these movies.

we can.  tell her WE won't let her have 'em.   icon_twisted

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2011, 09:10:43 PM »

LOL, wow tough crowd.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »

I guess I must be in a miniscule minority when I say that I am looking forward to buying the blu ray set. To me, the movies I grew up on went away when ep. 4, 5 and 6 became enhanced "special editions" in the late 90's. All these changes are needless and ridiculous for the most part, but underneath the CGI botox treatments, they ARE basically still Star Wars, and I can't just ignore that. Besides, my 7 year old daughter loves the Star Wars movies and she couldn't care less that they no longer resemble the movies I saw when I was her age. I can't allow personal nerd rage over all this to deny my kid the opportunity to create her own childhood memories of these movies.

Anyhow, I plan to buy the set and enjoy watching them with my kid. If anything, it'll be worth it for the superior video and audio quality on blu ray.

This times 1 meeelion

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2011, 09:30:33 PM »

even though it may make Hepcat yell 'nooooOOOOoooooOOOOoooo' I'm still getting them too.  it's not like Luke and Boba Fett team up to stop the Boxer Rebellion now or anything like that.

about the only thing that could change that is if the reviews start coming out and say it's horrible transfers.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 09, 2011, 09:38:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 09, 2011, 09:30:33 PM

even though it may make Hepcat yell 'nooooOOOOoooooOOOOoooo' I'm still getting them too.  it's not like Luke and Boba Fett team up to stop the Boxer Rebellion now or anything like that.

about the only thing that could change that is if the reviews start coming out and say it's horrible transfers.

and yet you'll avoid X Men: First Class like it was someone telling you to take a bath...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 09, 2011, 10:25:37 PM »

damn, almost forgot, need to order some blu ray cases and get cracking on making or finding some custom covers for them.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2011, 01:13:27 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 09, 2011, 10:25:37 PM

damn, almost forgot, need to order some blu ray cases and get cracking on making or finding some custom covers for them.

HEY HEY why are you pissing me off,it was Hepcat you were talking to not me,i didn't mention any X-men First Class(this time) icon_evil

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 10, 2011, 02:48:05 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on September 09, 2011, 09:25:44 PM

This times 1 meeelion

Agreed.  I am all excited for them.  I've got no real issues with the changes, honestly.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 10, 2011, 12:15:44 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 10, 2011, 02:48:05 AM

Agreed.  I am all excited for them.  I've got no real issues with the changes, honestly.

Really?  Aside from the whole "Nooo!" Vader thing, have you listened to this?
Obi-Wan's new scream

Just the audio from that youtube clip is from the blu-ray; for the visual, see here:
Spoiler for Hiden:
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2011, 01:10:10 PM »

I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed to the point that you don't want to spend your money to support the needless and silly changes to the film.  If they changed Citizen Kane so that in the end, he's talking about a '76 Impala, I would probably do the same thing.

Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 10, 2011, 06:36:31 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on September 09, 2011, 09:25:44 PM

This times 1 meeelion

Yep, can't wait for these to be released.  Amazon pre-ordered. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 10, 2011, 06:55:12 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 10, 2011, 01:10:10 PM

I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed to the point that you don't want to spend your money to support the needless and silly changes to the film. 

wait until Ani wakes up at the end, revealing the whole thing to be a dream.  still, the story is still the same even with the additions.  it's not like Luke, Han and Leia are suddenly slingshotting around the sun to go back in time to save Alderaan or Han has been replaced by a no nonsense Rebel marine, Leia by a Twi'lek and Obi Wan starts picking up chicks at Mos Eisley.

If they changed Citizen Kane so that in the end, he's talking about a '76 Impala, I would probably do the same thing.

I need to propose that for the re-make.

Because I can,
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 10, 2011, 08:05:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 10, 2011, 12:15:44 PM

Really?  Aside from the whole "Nooo!" Vader thing, have you listened to this?
Obi-Wan's new scream

Just the audio from that youtube clip is from the blu-ray; for the visual, see here:
Spoiler for Hiden:

I've heard it. It doesn't change anything, honestly. Why get all enraged about something so minor?

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: September 10, 2011, 08:49:24 PM »

Quote from: Jag on September 09, 2011, 01:43:52 PM

If you read that article, much of it was based on information gathered from other first hand sources. Like this:

Mark Hamil said:
"You can see a huge difference in the films that he does now and the films that he did when he was married. I know for a fact that Marcia Lucas was responsible for convincing him to keep that little 'kiss for luck' before Carrie [Fisher] and I swing across the chasm in the first film: 'Oh, I don't like it, people laugh in the previews,' and she said, 'George, they're laughing because it's so sweet and unexpected'-- and her influence was such that if she wanted to keep it, it was in. When the little mouse robot comes up when Harrison and I are delivering Chewbacca to the prison and he roars at it and it screams, sort of, and runs away, George wanted to cut that and Marcia insisted that he keep it." [lviii]

One interesting bit of trivia relating to her and Lucas' cinema is that Indiana, the Alaskan malamute that gave Indiana Jones his name and also gave Lucas the inspiration for Chewbacca, was in fact Marcia's dog, not George's. [lix] On the subject of Indiana Jones, Dale Pollock provides an anecdote which demonstrates how Marcia's presence in her husband's life influenced his films in subtle but significant ways--in this case, changing the ending for Raiders of the Lost Ark:

"[Marcia] was instrumental in changing the ending of Raiders, in which Indiana delivers the ark to Washington. Marion is nowhere to be seen, presumably stranded on an island with a submarine and a lot of melted Nazis. Marcia watched the rough cut in silence and then levelled the boom. She said there was no emotional resolution to the ending, because the girl disappears. 'Everyone was feeling really good until she said that,' Dunham recalls. 'It was one of those, "Oh no we lost sight of that." ' Spielberg reshot the scene in downtown San Francisco, having Marion wait for Indiana on the steps on the government building. Marcia, once again, had come to the rescue." [lx]

That is my theory. He hates Star Wars, he hates Star Wars fans, all because of his ex wife. We won't get a decent version until he dies.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 11, 2011, 01:21:17 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on September 09, 2011, 03:21:54 PM

I just read a few Amazon reviews and I won't lie. This is the funniest, nerdiest shit I have ever read.

I'm going back for more.

I agree. The outrage is hysterical.  icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »

It only took me a few minutes to find more than a few examples of nerd outrage on other, equally minor topics from most of you folks complaining that those of us who are choosing to forego this box set are being unreasonable.   icon_wink  But in any case, it's not outrage for most of us, just disappointment.  Even those complaining that we're being unreasonable are mostly agreeing that the changes are unneccesary and needless.

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2011, 03:06:22 PM »

it's basically just Lucas fucking with stuff that doesn't need any changes. Everyone loved the originals, these aren't the originals anymore.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2011, 07:25:11 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 11, 2011, 02:58:35 PM

It only took me a few minutes to find more than a few examples of nerd outrage on other, equally minor topics from most of you folks complaining that those of us who are choosing to forego this box set are being unreasonable.   icon_wink  But in any case, it's not outrage for most of us, just disappointment.  Even those complaining that we're being unreasonable are mostly agreeing that the changes are unneccesary and needless.

Exactly.  I understand there were issues that weren't fixed and needless changes were made. I already own the DVDs, my TV isn't HD. I can forgo yet another release.  I can always change my mind, we'll have some other super release in 2 years, and another a few years after, etc...
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 12, 2011, 12:31:02 AM »

Umm....so there's a boycott against the Star Wars Blu-rays or something?  Since giving up on SW Minis collecting, I'm well aware I'm sort of living under a rock in terms of Star Wars Fandom, but this is honestly the first I've heard of a boycott. I wasn't planning on getting them because the S-Defs I have look so damn good upscaled and I only have a 5.1 audio system. I will say that I got the 1st trilogy DVD box set which has some added CGI, and I'm very happy with them. Before that I had the 3 vol digitally enhanced VHS series, and I don't notice much difference and enjoy the DVD's every bit as much. Sorry, but  I don't want to comb through all 5 pages of this thread, but did Lucas really go overboard this time or something? Is there a list posted on a website anywhere detailing the Blu-ray edition changes?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2011, 12:42:20 AM »

This thread contains everything you ask about.  I know you don't want to read through it all, but skimming it will suffice.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 12:43:52 AM by hepcat » Logged

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2011, 12:48:11 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 12, 2011, 12:42:20 AM

This thread contains everything you ask about.  I know you don't want to read through it all, but skimming it will suffice.

Yeah I figured that. I was just wanting to be lazy and read them all on 1 page on a single website. slywink From the gist the posts on this page, I take it the changes are a bit more significant than the 2004 DVD Box set.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: September 12, 2011, 12:54:23 AM »

For me it's the accumulation of changes.  Every time there's a new release, he monkeys with them even further.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 12, 2011, 01:00:39 AM »

Yeah, I think it's a combination of disbelief that he's yet again redefining his "definitive" version, that there are yet more weird CGI additions (though replacing the horrible Episode I Yoda is the exception of a smart CGI addition) and then the new version of the "Han shot first" scenario is the addition of Vader saying "No... NOOOO!!!!" during the climax of Return of the Jedi.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 12, 2011, 01:24:33 AM »

Eh, I'm dissatisfied with this post.  I've always thought it makes The Grue look like someone who disagrees with me.  It also needs more CGI.

Agreed.  I am not all excited for them.  I've got-real issues

with the changes, honestly.

That's better.

-Autistic Angel
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2011, 02:32:24 AM »

LOL!

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2011, 02:43:40 PM »

So who will have the best in store price on launch day? Looks like Walmart has them listed at $79 but my local store doesn't normally get boxed sets like this.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 12, 2011, 02:43:53 PM »

Looks like George isn't going to stop with just Star Wars:  Noooo!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 12, 2011, 03:09:41 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on September 12, 2011, 02:43:40 PM

So who will have the best in store price on launch day? Looks like Walmart has them listed at $79 but my local store doesn't normally get boxed sets like this.

Best Buy online is showing a price of $79 as well.  I used my reward zone certificates to preorder it.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 12, 2011, 05:12:05 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 12, 2011, 02:43:53 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!      quite funny actually.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 12, 2011, 05:51:09 PM »

LOL

I have been on youtube looking at all the old 'deleted' scenes,this one made me laugh
(1 minute 3 seconds)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFDACpv7Z2c&feature=related

and this one wouldn't surprise me if it happened(18 seconds)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aIZZyIgpco&feature=related

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 12, 2011, 06:00:23 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 12, 2011, 05:51:09 PM

LOL

I have been on youtube looking at all the old 'deleted' scenes,this one made me laugh
(1 minute 3 seconds)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFDACpv7Z2c&feature=related

and this one wouldn't surprise me if it happened(18 seconds)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aIZZyIgpco&feature=related

The first one reminds me of this

Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 14, 2011, 02:42:18 AM »

SFW:  Yes Man, staring Darth Vader.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 14, 2011, 03:49:43 AM »

Quote from: Wargus on September 14, 2011, 02:42:18 AM

thumbsup

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 14, 2011, 04:14:13 AM »

Quote from: Wargus on September 14, 2011, 02:42:18 AM

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: