http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 07:27:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars Blu Ray!  (Read 12643 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2011, 01:54:37 PM »

sounds like Simon Pegg is still feeling the hurt,who is one of the biggest 'original' trilogy fans and has been a little vocal about this on his Twitter Account over the last few hours,he still sounds very pissed off

simonpegg
I'm hearing some rumblings about supposed audio additions to the original trilogy on the Star Wars Blu-Rays. Is this a hoax? Suspect it is.
4 hours ago

simonpegg
Wasn't going to buy them anyway. Not even going to watch borrowed copies now. The only thing I'd buy is the original, original three on blu.
4 hours ago

simonpegg
Always loved Vader's wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin's ghost. What a fucking shame.
2 hours ago

simonpegg
Can't believe it still bothers me. It's like getting upset because a dead relative's corpse has rotted a bit more.
2 hours ago

simonpegg
I wonder if George Lucas will ever replace himself with CGI. He should do. He's a muppet.
2 hours ago

icon_lol icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2011, 02:23:01 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 31, 2011, 01:54:37 PM

simonpegg
I'm hearing some rumblings about supposed audio additions to the original trilogy on the Star Wars Blu-Rays. Is this a hoax? Suspect it is.
4 hours ago

I'm with Simon-  like I said it sounds (literaly) to ridiculous to be true, even for George.  I'd have to go back and compare that sequence to the end of RotS to see if maybe someone hadn't lifted it just to be funny.  and AICN said the Obi Wan one sounds like Obi is getting a hummer in the alleyway out back of the Mos Eisley Cantina.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 31, 2011, 02:30:41 PM »

Ok I cancelled my pre-order pending some actual reviews to see if stuff like that is really being changed.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2011, 02:41:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 31, 2011, 02:23:01 PM

simonpegg
4 hours ago

I'm with Simon-  like I said it sounds (literaly) to ridiculous to be true, even for George.  I'd have to go back and compare that sequence to the end of RotS to see if maybe someone hadn't lifted it just to be funny.  and AICN said the Obi Wan one sounds like Obi is getting a hummer in the alleyway out back of the Mos Eisley Cantina.

if you mean the Youtube vids that you posted on the last page it says in the description that he lifted the audio from 'RotS',i guess he made those vids just so we could compare on how it 'may' sound 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2011, 02:47:37 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 31, 2011, 02:41:32 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 31, 2011, 02:23:01 PM

simonpegg
4 hours ago

if you mean the Youtube vids that you posted on the last page it says in the description that he lifted the audio from 'RotS',i guess he made those vids just so we could compare on how it 'may' sound 

it says it's from a leaked audio file, nothing more specific:

NOTE: The video is not from the blu-ray, I just synced up the leaked audio clip with existing video.

hopefully reviews will start leaking out before the set is released.

Because I can,
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2011, 05:02:45 PM »

The blu ray set is apparently on torrent sites already, so if the rumors are legit, we'll start getting confirmation shortly.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2011, 07:26:56 PM »

that guy has put up the actual Blu-Ray clip now

although i hate the 'Nooooooooo',i do like the short star wars theme when he does it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RVJJfny4I&annotation_id=annotation_867594&feature=iv

EDIT:LucasArts confirms

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/31/lucasfilm-confirms-change-to-blu-ray-release-of-return-of-the-jedi/?scp=1&sq=lucas+films&st=cse
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:34:31 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2011, 07:34:13 PM »

I hear in the new version Greedo suffers from narcolepsy, therefore collapsing asleep on the table during a moment of stress without any violence whatsoever. A subtle snoring has been added to the audio track.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2011, 07:55:22 PM »

Well it's not *horrible*, but still... Lucas is just screwing with the fans now.  He knows how reviled the "Nooooooo!" from Ep 3 was, and had to twist the knife a little more.

I wish someone would do a proper cleanup and distribution of the 1993 "definitive edition" laserdiscs, or edit out all of Lucas' tweaks from the blu rays. Adywan has done some decent edits, but he either changes too much (see the YouTube clip referenced on the previous page), or not enough (kept the scene with Jabba in Mos Eisley)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 08:02:02 PM by Laner » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2011, 09:21:19 PM »

Well that's lame.  I'm out then.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »

another missing scene from star wars..AWKWARD!! Tongue icon_wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF-xMA6kv0M&feature=feedrec_grec_index

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2011, 11:44:12 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 31, 2011, 11:40:36 PM

another missing scene from star wars..AWKWARD!! Tongue icon_wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF-xMA6kv0M&feature=feedrec_grec_index

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2011, 07:32:02 PM »

Why doesn't George just remake the original three films in entirety? He can replace the combination of David Prowse (in Darth's costume) and James Earl Jones (voice) with Hayden Christiansen (in costume) and Carrot Top (voice).

He can replace Chewbacca with an Ewok, replace C-3PO with Jar-Jar Binks' nephew, and so forth. Instead of shooting at each other with blasters, they'll just shine flashlights on each other (there's just too much killing in those movies!). Maybe insert some random yells "AAAAAAA!" and "OOOOOOOOH!" here and there with no rhyme or reason.

Instead of light sabers they can just bang their "light wands" gently with nobody getting, you know, hurt.

Cowboys & Aliens indicates Harrison Ford's days as a box office draw are over, so why doesn't George just paste someone else's face on his body the whole movie. Replace his face with Shia LaBeouf, that'll draw the kiddies!

I don't have BluRay so this is all moot for me anyway but it does seem like the best thing you can do if it ticks you off (cause clearly George doesn't listen and doesn't care... maybe he's just doing these changes to take a dig at the fans that have criticized his past changes), is vote no with your dollars.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2011, 08:05:24 PM »

Are the fan-made original trilogy restoration projects kosher to talk about here, or does that fall too close to piracy talk?
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 02, 2011, 08:05:24 PM

Are the fan-made original trilogy restoration projects kosher to talk about here, or does that fall too close to piracy talk?

I think that's fine.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2011, 08:59:06 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 02, 2011, 08:05:24 PM

does that fall too close to piracy talk?

Aaarrrrr, only if ye be talkin' 'bout hijacking a freighter and making the crew walk the plank to meet Davey Jones.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2011, 01:32:07 AM »

Well I've only recently become aware of all the amazing work that's being done by the forumers at originaltrilogy.com but holy shit!  They're amazing!

I was under the impression that the best version of the unaltered original trilogy was the old Laserdisc version, since the 2006 DVD release of the unaltered trilogy was non-anamorphic, had a jittery image from the 1993 transfer, a shitty audio transfer, and other assorted problems, but it turns out the DVD version is nearly identical to the Laserdisc version, but at least somewhat better quality somehow.  Still shitty looking for a 2006-era DVD, though.

Well these heroic fan-restoration projects have taken the 2006 DVDs and converted them to anamorphic as best as possible, removed the gate weave jitters, performed color correction to better match the way it originally looked, added multiple audio track options of higher quality, and probably even more magical wizardry that is going over my head.

If you're a purist like me and want to see the same exact movies that came out 30 years ago at a higher quality than Lucas will let you see, you can do that!

Or, if you're not a strict purist, there are "de-specialized" versions that use the higher quality Special Edition DVDs as source material and edit out as much CGI crap as possible, keeping some of the unoffensive visual effect upgrades but making the movies as a whole super-close to the originals.

Just incredible work from these guys, considering the source material they're working from.  Can't recommend these fan-restorations enough if you're sick of Lucas's tinkering.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2011, 01:44:40 AM »

fans boycotting

so,we know about the Krayt Dragon call by old man Ben,we know about "Noooooooooo",we know about Muppet Yoda>.CGI Yoda(TPM only thank god)....looks like the Ewoks are now having a make over as well...CGI eyes

and fans are threatening to boycott the BR collection

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2011, 01:49:50 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 03, 2011, 01:44:40 AM

fans boycotting

so,we know about the Krayt Dragon call by old man Ben,we know about "Noooooooooo",we know about Muppet Yoda>.CGI Yoda(TPM only thank god)....looks like the Ewoks are now having a make over as well...CGI eyes

and fans are threatening to boycott the BR collection

I think the ewok eyes and cgi yoda are fine. The noooo and krayt yell changes are ridiculous.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2011, 02:29:40 AM »

Ok, not that last one.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2011, 03:01:16 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 03, 2011, 02:29:40 AM

Ok, not that last one.

good friggin' christ..so,do you think its best to wait until George Lucas Dies and then whoever takes over can release the set as the fans want it?

i also found this,from Blu Ray...Greedo still shoots first but its a 'tighter edit' as the guy who's video this is says
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKEX6QJ-zlQ&feature=related

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2011, 03:12:43 AM »

Ok, not that last one.

At the changes

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2011, 03:13:20 AM »

If they put a stupid rock in front of Artoo and do nothing to the uber-conveniently placed rocks the Sand People crawl around before Ben comes in with his whale song, then it goes beyond stupid to George just fucking with everyone.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2011, 03:32:40 AM »

From looking at the restoration projects, there are so many other changes that have been made in these revisions that most people aren't aware of because they're so much more subtle.

(middle images are the special edition modified versions (not blu-ray specific changes))
There was a mountain removed in the double-sunset:
Spoiler for Hiden:

The language was changed on the Death Star tractor beam controls:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Various shots were reframed:
Spoiler for Hiden:
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 04, 2011, 08:19:43 PM »

LOL,Simon Pegg is still going on about this

simonpegg
Now having extra breakfast. I just didn't want it to end. My final word on the SW Blu-Rays. When they hit the shelves, just say NOOOOOOOOOO!
10 hours ago

simonpegg
Fret not, there are still starship crews up there kickin ass n' takin names. Step up Jim, Leornard, Nyota, Pavel, Hikaru, Monty & uhh Spock.
9 hours ago

simonpegg
You realise only a small percentage of what I say on here is true right? #pinchofsalt
31 minutes ago

simonpegg
The Star Wars rage, that's all true mydogatela.com/starwars.gif
30 minutes ago

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2011, 04:19:30 PM »

• Vader says "I see you have the high ground" when Luke is hiding in the rafters

I thought he says: "I see your Schwartz is as big as mine."
    Greggy_D

View Profile
    « Reply #186 on: September 06, 2011, 08:24:59 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 31, 2011, 09:21:19 PM

Well that's lame.  I'm out then.

Same.  Just canceled my Amazon pre-order.
    ibdoomed

View Profile
    « Reply #187 on: September 07, 2011, 12:35:55 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 03, 2011, 03:01:16 AM

good friggin' christ..so,do you think its best to wait until George Lucas Dies and then whoever takes over can release the set as the fans want it?

Yes.

Although this could be the studios plan. Milk it, milk it, milk it, milk it again, all while Lucas takes the brunt of the hatred and upon his death announce they've rediscovered an original hidden away and are releasing it pure in a SHDCBD special limited numbered boxed set edition because they can only copy it so many times. Then a couple years later they'll discover a way to copy it some more! Amazing.
    rshetts2

View Profile
    « Reply #188 on: September 07, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »

The Krayt call, no big deal the original one was goofier. 
    I dont like the added "Nooooooo"'s  it changes the flavor of the scene but its still not that big of a deal to me, I can live with it.
    I just wish Lucas has shown some brains and a bit of respect for the source material and reinstated the scene where Han shoots first.  That one change completely altered the dynamics of Hans personality and his growth through out the trilogy.  If he had gone back to the original scene, I think he would have had a huge jump in fan approval, and his other tweaks would have been less glaring.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
    metallicorphan

View Profile
    « Reply #189 on: September 07, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »

i still hate the young Anakin ghost scene at the end of Jedi...and the Jabba's Palace 'musical number'

for Empire,i quite liked the original Hoth Wampa and not seeing it properly(just that one shot with its paws up coming at the camera),while the new version spoils a lot of tension in that scene,at least for me

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
    « Reply #190 on: September 07, 2011, 02:41:22 PM »

Empire was helmed by a much better director than Lucas. Lucas' changes just come across as ego trips.   It's like having Scorsese's Taxi Driver recut by Uwe Boll.  

I'm hoping enough folks boycott the release that he'll rethink his methods and allow us to view the work of superior directors the way they were meant to be viewed.
    « Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:08:22 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
    Fireball

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #191 on: September 07, 2011, 07:55:36 PM »

In general, the only change that really bothers me is Greedo firing first. I love the additional windows in the ESB special edition. I like the they got rid of the English words and replaced them with Aurebesh characters. I don't mind the CG rock in front of Artoo. Not fond of the "nooo!" in Jedi. I like the blinking Ewoks.

I'd trade all the changes I don't particularly like, and losing all the changes I do like, just to get Han shooting first. It's the only truly offensive change, in my opinion -- it warps his character arc.

Jag

View Profile
    « Reply #192 on: September 07, 2011, 08:16:52 PM »

Fascinating article on Marcia Lucas, George's first wife and her impact on the movies.
    CeeKay
    Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
    « Reply #193 on: September 07, 2011, 08:49:01 PM »

I never even noticed the Ewoks didn't blink at all-  if it hadn't been pointed out I probably wouldn't have realized it.  I think more people are going to be ticked off by blinking Vader though.....

Because I can,
    Bullwinkle
    Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
    « Reply #194 on: September 07, 2011, 11:26:18 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on September 07, 2011, 07:55:36 PM

In general, the only change that really bothers me is Greedo firing first. I love the additional windows in the ESB special edition. I like the they got rid of the English words and replaced them with Aurebesh characters. I don't mind the CG rock in front of Artoo. Not fond of the "nooo!" in Jedi. I like the blinking Ewoks.

I'd trade all the changes I don't particularly like, and losing all the changes I do like, just to get Han shooting first. It's the only truly offensive change, in my opinion -- it warps his character arc.

Well, that's kind of how I feel.  It's a slippery slope, these changes, and we took a hard slide right at the beginning (the superflous and redundant Jabba scene isn't high on my list either).  I would rather have no changes than the awful ones.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
    « Reply #195 on: September 08, 2011, 02:27:31 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 07, 2011, 08:49:01 PM

I never even noticed the Ewoks didn't blink at all-  if it hadn't been pointed out I probably wouldn't have realized it.  I think more people are going to be ticked off by blinking Vader though.....

They drew dots for pupils on his eye covers and also gave him a moving mouth that movies after seeing Optimus Prime's changes from the cartoon to the Bay movies.
    CeeKay
    Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
    « Reply #196 on: September 09, 2011, 09:55:16 AM »

the latest alteration:

Spoiler for Hiden:

icon_wink

Because I can,
    Blackjack

View Profile
    « Reply #197 on: September 09, 2011, 01:02:39 PM »

Quote from: Jag on September 07, 2011, 08:16:52 PM

Fascinating article on Marcia Lucas, George's first wife and her impact on the movies.
    Fascinating piece, Jag, thanks.  icon_smile And I think this supposed quote from that about surmises Georgie's attitude towards fans over the last, say, 15 years or so...
    Quote from: Marcia Lucas
    But George just said to me, I was stupid and knew nothing. Because I was just a Valley Girl. He was the intellectual.

I could see me saying "George, Jar Jar is a stupid, perhaps offensive character who adds nothing to those three films whatsoever." and he would say "You're stupid and know nothing. You're just a valley girl. I'm the intellectual." Despite my protests I'm not a girl, he probably would ignore that observation.  Fabulous

Of course he's rich, he can do what he wants. He can mangle the 1977-1983 films into Smurfs-Ewoks crossover specials if he wants to. He's not getting any more money from me on DVDs, and I'm sure he could care less.

The main thing that has bothered me over the years is how a director whose entire Star Wars and after career is based almost purely on fan love and loyalty, can have such arrogance and outright hostility towards many fans' concerns. It's often just... appalling.  disgust Of course he'd say the fans who complain about this that and the other thing aren't "real" fans, but I'd actually venture that those fans he's derogatory about are actually his strongest fans. He just had blinders on about it imho.

Or maybe he just imagines they're all like his ex-wife... I knew I could wind this post back to the beginning!  icon_smile
    « Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:10:23 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
    PC
    -Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
    -Grim Dawn
    -Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
    rshetts2

View Profile
    « Reply #198 on: September 09, 2011, 01:22:42 PM »

you know, not to come completely to Georges defense but I would take anything someones ex wife says with a bit of skepticism.  They are generally not a good choice for unbiased opinions. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
    Bullwinkle
    Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
    « Reply #199 on: September 09, 2011, 01:30:34 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on September 09, 2011, 01:22:42 PM

you know, not to come completely to Georges defense but I would take anything someones ex wife says with a bit of skepticism.  They are generally not a good choice for unbiased opinions. 

It's not just her saying it, though, from what I understand.  There have been rumblings about her influence for decades.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to: