http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 09:03:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars - 3 new movies ?  (Read 2479 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2004, 05:19:02 PM »

Hey all:

So I'm listening to the Jim Rome show at lunch today (as usual), and he mentions that 3 new Star Wars films are to be made.

He says it like it is brand new news... and it is definately the first I had heard of it.  Now, I admit to not being a Star Wars freak or anything, but this type of news would certainly be cool if it's true.

Anyone know anything about this, or is Romey truly 'burning' - if you know what I mean?

Thanks.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 05:26:26 PM »

I'm just wondering if Lucas just figured out that he can't possibly patch the HUUUUUUGGGEEEEE holes between movie 2 and 4 with just movie 3.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 05:31:58 PM »

The rumor went around last week.  ILM people supposedly signed NDAs saying they could not talk about Episode 7, 8 and 9.  Whether that means Lucas is thinking of making them or not is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, Lucas would have to hand over director and writing duties to someone else to even be able to stem the tide of hate he has been given with his two substandard prequels (this is coming from someone who loves the Star Wars films).  I realize he sees dollar signs, but I'm not sure Episode 3 is going to be as big of a hit as he may think it will be.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 05:33:32 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I'm just wondering if Lucas just figured out that he can't possibly patch the HUUUUUUGGGEEEEE holes between movie 2 and 4 with just movie 3.

These would be post Return of the Jedi, so there will be no filling of holes.  Arguably Star Wars: Clone Wars on Cartoon Network filled in the time between 2 and 3.  3 is set a number of years past 2 if I remember...much like Episode 1 was to 2, so he may not have as big of holes to fill in between 3 and 4.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 08:24:11 PM »

Is it possible that he is talking about the DVD releases of the original trilogy. That Rome's ajoker, and there are apparently new scenes and more cgi and stuff, could he have been talking about that?

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 09:02:39 PM »

Nope, this is on several other forums I read that had this story and talk about it well before Rome ever brought it up.  It's about the sequels, not the original movies.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 09:43:06 PM »

Ahh, I am pretty sure that Lucas said he would not be making the sequels (7,8, 9) because he wanted to spend more time with his family and didnt want to "spend another 10 years of his life on star wars". He is after all, like 60 isnt he?
Thats interesting though, but it coudl just be a rumor *cough* ilovebees.com *cough

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 12:14:44 AM »

Fine, just make the Timothy Zahn books into movies and call it a day.  Then launch the license into the sun and make nothing SW ever again.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 01:47:32 PM »

Quote from: "jimmyorr99"
Ahh, I am pretty sure that Lucas said he would not be making the sequels (7,8, 9) because he wanted to spend more time with his family and didnt want to "spend another 10 years of his life on star wars".

This is pretty much what I've heard for years.  He's supposedly got the plot for episodes 7, 8, and 9 all written (and has for the longest time) but has always said that he would never film them (this was around the time of the Episode 1 announcement IIRC).

I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a few years off after Episode 3 is in the can, and then announces that Episodes 7-9 will be made, but with him in a much reduced role (but with no less authority).
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 02:57:15 PM »

It was the director of RotJ (Richard Marquand) that regarded working for Lucas on that movie as "directing Macbeth with Shakespeare himself looking on from the wings."

When he wrote the original story it was nine films, with the only constants being R2 and 3-PO and the Emperor. Figure that one out. smile It would lead more into the Dark Horse version of the series rather than the Zahn books, which I'm fine with as I always thought Zahn was tremendously overrated.

I don't think we'll see them, but the almighty dollar is still king in Hollywood, first and foremost. Now with them basically closing the door on LucasArts (for re-structuring) Lucas has to have another revenue source. I also suspect that SWG will fall by the wayside in a big, big way once WoW and EQ2 hit, so there goes a big source of continuous cash.

Lucas has completely deluded himself into thinking that his 20 years away from the camera wouldn't have an affect on how he directed again. You'd think that he would have learned from Kubrick and Terence Malick's examples that you're going to be extremely rusty, no matter how inherently talented, if you take that long between projects.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 04:27:41 PM »

Does the man need any more money?

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 05:07:25 PM »

Im suprised hes not ranked higher on the celeb rich lists, all teh star wars stuff that comes out. All the stuff that I bought when I was little, and still ocasionally do? Thats a mindboggling amount of money. :shock:

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 06:07:58 PM »

He owns the rights to all merchandising and sequels. The only thing Lucas does not own are the rights to the first Star Wars. 20th Century holds that, and you bet your ass they'll continue to hold onto it. I smile whenever I think of that as I know it's a big thorn in his side. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 09:31:44 PM »

Oh man, he must be kicking himself for that one. :lol:  :lol:
Meh 4/5 movies aint bad

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 01:42:17 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Fine, just make the Timothy Zahn books into movies and call it a day.  Then launch the license into the sun and make nothing SW ever again.

Now THAT is a movie I'd go to watch many, many times over.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2004, 02:10:43 PM »

I really liked the Timothy Zahn books, actually I liked most of the post-Endor SW books, that would be a great idea for three more movies. I doubt it though frown Thats a real shame. Oh well, back to A New Hope.

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2004, 02:33:19 PM »

If you had to name the next Star Wars movie, what would it be?

Here's mine:
Star Wars Episode III: Genocide of the Gungans

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2004, 06:56:10 PM »

Star Wars Episode III: The Rise of The Empire/ Jar-Jar Dies

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: