http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 06:39:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Generation - What Could Have Been  (Read 783 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2010, 02:55:37 AM »

an interesting casting memo from 1987.  Wesley Snipes could have been Geordi? no Wil Wheaton as Wesley? kind of mind boggling, isn't it?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 03:03:53 AM »

Yaphet Kotto as Picard? Yes please.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 03:56:39 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on August 28, 2010, 03:03:53 AM

Yaphet Kotto as Picard? Yes please.

that would have been pretty cool.  as would roy thinnes imo.

but casting diana crosby as troi?  wtf?

other oddness.  tim russ would have never been the first black vulcan if he took the role of geordi.  there are a few others who later became supporting characters who were potentially main characters. 

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 04:25:01 AM »

Yeah, there were different plans at different times, and some stuff changed relatively late.  You'll notice there is no mention of Worf in that list because the decision to have a Klingon character came very late.  Denise Crosby was brought in as Troi and Marina Sirtis actually read for Tasha.  Roddenberry's concept was that the Troi was supposed to be a "classic" beauty, hence the interest in a blond fair skinned actor.  Meanwhile, he was apparently quite taken by "Aliens" use of a female marine and so the darker skinned Sirtis fit his vision for the security officer role.  On top of that, Crusher's kid was supposed to be a girl for a very long time but Roddenberry changed that relatively late in the process as well.

There are a lot of "what ifs" in Star Trek, though.  Like how the movies were a late change from the plans for a new series with the original cast.  And so on.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 05:44:54 AM »

there are a lot of people i don't know in those lists,i am guessing American stars of the time?

i really love Yaphet kotto,and he has some great films that have a big place in my growing up(Alien,Running Man,Live and let die,Midnight Run)...but Picard really brought Patrick Stewart into the limelight (at least for me)..and i have been a massive fan of his ever since

Jenny Agutter,i have been in love with ever since American Werewolf so i would of loved that

Kevin Peter Hall i think his size would of been a bit distracting(unless they kept putting everyone else on platforms)...wasn't he like 8ft (as he played Predator and Bigfoot in Bigfoot and the Hendersons)

EDIT:okay i looked it up,he was 7"2'

i suppose some of this can be put in the same catorgary as What if ..Tom Selleck was Indiana Jones

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
WHEEAATTON!!!
Gaming Trend Reader

He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 12:24:27 PM »

ROOOOOOOTTTTTHHHHHHHHH!   icon_lol
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 02:36:41 PM »

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 02:51:31 PM »

Reggie Jackson? REGGIE JACKSON?! Maybe it's a different guy?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 07:10:09 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on August 28, 2010, 02:51:31 PM

Reggie Jackson? REGGIE JACKSON?! Maybe it's a different guy?

He proved his acting chops in The Naked Gun.
bonefish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 01:31:08 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 28, 2010, 05:44:54 AM

Jenny Agutter,i have been in love with ever since American Werewolf so i would of loved that

Jenny Agutter,i have been in love with ever since American Werewolf Logan's Run so i would of loved that
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 04:32:08 AM »

+1

I first saw her in The Eagle Has Landed.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 05:40:22 AM »

She certainly got my attention in Logan's Run, but it was American Werewolf in London that sealed the deal for me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 05:42:26 AM »

Quote from: Gromit on August 29, 2010, 04:32:08 AM

+1

I first saw her in The Eagle Has Landed.

Aww,damn it that was on TV yesterday,i didn't know she was in it

and i was actually thinking of the shower scene in American Werewolf EDIT:yeah what Bull said...i think she was in Walkabout as well,which i have heard is a bit taboo(not seen it myself)....not sure why,maybe very young

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 06:49:43 AM »

The original casting call looked like this:

Original Casting Call
To:   All talent representatives
Date:   3/17/87
RE:   Paramount
"Star Trek: The Next Generation"
1-Hr series for syndication
2-Hr TV movie to start June 1
24 1-Hr episodes to start end of July

Please resubmit for the following roles. New York and Chicago submissions are encouraged. Please be advised that there are no scripts available. Actors may look at sides[sic] in the casting office only.

Seeking the following regulars

* Captain Julian Picard: A Caucasian man in his 50's who is very youthful and in prime physical condition. Born in Paris, his Gallic accent appears only when deep emotions are triggered. He is definitely a `romantic' and believes strongly in concepts like honor and duty. Captain Picard commands the Enterprise. He should have a mid-Atlantic accent, and a wonderfully rich speaking voice...

* Number One (AKA William Riker): A 30-35 year old Caucasian born in Alaska. He is a pleasant looking man with sex appeal, of medium height, very agile and strong, a natural psychologist. Number One, as he usually is called, is second in command of the Enterprise and has a very strong, solid relationship with the Captain...

* Lt. Commander Data: He is an android who has the appearance of a man in his mid 30's. Data should have exotic features and can be any one of the following racial groups: Asian, American Indian, East Indian, South American Indian or similar racial groups. He is in perfect physical condition and should appear very intelligent...

* Lt. Tanya Hernandez: 26 year old woman of Ukranian descent who serves as the starship's security chief. She is described as having a new quality of conditioned-body beauty, a fire in her eyes and muscularly well developed and very female body, but keeping in mind that much of her strength comes from attitude. Tanya has an almost obsessive devotion to protecting the ship and its crew and treats Capt. Picard and Number One as if they were saints...

* Lt. Deanna Troi: An alien woman who is tall (5'8" - 6') and slender, about 30 years old and quite beautiful. She serves as the starship's Chief Psychologist. Deanna is probably foreign (anywhere from Italian, Greek, Hungarian, Russian, Icelandic, etc.) with looks and accent to match. She and Number One are romantically involved. Her alien `look' is still to be determined...

* Wesley Crusher: A small 18 (or almost 18) year old boy to play 15, his remarkable mind and photographic memory make it seem not unlikely for him to become, at 15, a Star Fleet Acting Ensign. Wesley is more of an intense (not cute) teenager whose energy comes from an inquisitive nature...

* Beverly Crusher: Wesley's 35 year old mother. She serves as the chief medical officer on the starship. If it were not for her intelligence, personality, beauty, and the fact that she has the natural walk of a striptease queen, Capt. Picard might not have agreed to her request that Wesley observe bridge activities; therefore letting her son's intelligence carry events further...

* Lt. Geordi LaForge: A 20-25 year old black man, blind from birth. With the help of a special prosthetic device he wears, his vision far surpasses anything the human eye can see. Although he is young, he is quite mature and is best friends with Data. Please do not submit any `street' types, as Geordi has perfect diction and might even have a Jamaican accent. Should also do comedy well...

http://stng.36el.com/st-tng/trivia/misc.html#1
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 08:50:27 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on August 29, 2010, 06:49:43 AM

The original casting call looked like this:

* Lt. Geordi LaForge: A 20-25 year old black man, blind from birth. With the help of a special prosthetic device he wears, his vision far surpasses anything the human eye can see. Although he is young, he is quite mature and is best friends with Data. Please do not submit any `street' types, as Geordi has perfect diction and might even have a Jamaican accent. Should also do comedy well...

Yeah, Geordi's storylines always were the funniest.

Quote from: 7 Seasons of TNG

Geordi LaForge: Hi, I'm Geordi.  It's nice to meet you, doctor.

Leah Brahms: Hah!  As if, loser.  Say, that reminds me: is that outrageous Okona still aboard?

Outrageous Okona: You rang?

Leah Brahms: Oh, Captain Okona, you're such a rakish, daring rogue!  You there, hairclip face!  Fetch my bags!

Geordi LaForge: (siiigh)  I'm so desperately lonely....

-Autistic Angel
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 02:02:03 AM »

* Beverly Crusher: Wesley's 35 year old mother. She serves as the chief medical officer on the starship. If it were not for her intelligence, personality, beauty, and the fact that she has the natural walk of a striptease queen, Capt. Picard might not have agreed to her request that Wesley observe bridge activities; therefore letting her son's intelligence carry events further...

que?
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 04:05:01 AM »

Yeah, Pulaski fits that description better than Crusher. Tongue
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 06:33:51 AM »

* Lt. Tanya Hernandez: 26 year old woman of Ukranian descent who serves as the starship's security chief. She is described as having a new quality of conditioned-body beauty, a fire in her eyes and muscularly well developed and very female body, but keeping in mind that much of her strength comes from attitude. Tanya has an almost obsessive devotion to protecting the ship and its crew and treats Capt. Picard and Number One as if they were saints...

A Ukranian woman named Hernandez and their top pick for the part was an Asian woman.  I guess they wanted to fit as many ethnicities into one role as possible slywink

J.D. Roth as Wesley?  Who would have hosted GamePro TV?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:37:15 AM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: