http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 06:40:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Trek: The Motionless Picture  (Read 4307 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2007, 08:55:42 PM »

I hadn't seen this since I was about 12 years old, shortly after it first came out. My sons and I had recently watched a few of the original Star Trek episodes and they noticed the movie at the library. I didn't remember much of it but they loved the old Star Trek episodes we'd watched so this seemed like a good bed, right?

Wow. This movie was terrible.

First, "The Motion Picture". Okay. Yeah we get it. Is this so people think they didn't slip a TV episode into the theaters?

Then the long, long, long scenes where nothing is happening except flying around the Enterprise on a shuttle, or flying through 2001 inspired trippy light shows. And the shots of the crew looking awe-inspired. They could have cut 30 minutes from the movie just by shortening some of those scenes.

Then "Presenting Persis Khambatta" the bald chick. Enough said about her.

The movie didn't feel like Star Trek at all. It's like they saw the success of Star Wars and decided they must release a big-scale Star Trek movie to ride that gravy train. There were almost no character interactions. I felt sad for McCoy, forced to stand around the deck and make crabby comments.

And last, "The human adventure has just begun." Nice grandiose way to end a bloated, grandiose movie.

By about the 8th long scene of psychedelic effects my sons (7, 9 & 10) all wandered off to watch my wife play Viva Pinata.

I'm going to have a difficult time convincing them that The Wrath of Khan is really good. I haven't seen it in over 10 years - it is still really good right?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:57:26 PM »

Khan is the best Star Trek movie.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 09:03:27 PM »

Khan will always be the best Star Trek movie.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 09:16:09 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on January 14, 2007, 09:03:27 PM

Khan will always be the best Star Trek movie.

That is the best out of all of them my all time favorite Khan is just a badass.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 09:17:48 PM »

They all sucked.. Not even worth a rental.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 09:22:34 PM »

The one with the borg was pretty good.

I think that was the last one I saw.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 09:23:34 PM »

I'm going to have a difficult time convincing them that The Wrath of Khan is really good. I haven't seen it in over 10 years - it is still really good right?
Watch it first...nostalgia ain't what it used to be. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 10:25:54 PM »

Except in the case of Wrath of Khan, it really is. That, and First Contact are the two top Star Trek movies in my mind.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 10:27:07 PM »

The first movie is somewhat hamstrung by the fact that it was an expanded script from what was supposed to be a new series with the original actors.  The success of the original show in syndication lead to Paramount funding the new series with new uniforms, etc., for a mid-70's comback.  However, the success of Star Wars lead to a last minute decision to make a movie instead and they only had a few scripts complete.  Roddenberry also apparently felt they needed to stay away from typical action sci-fi since that was not what Star Trek was about and choose a more sedate story.

The later movies are better if only because they knew they were making movies from the beginning and they realized they needed to fill the two hours better.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 11:02:23 PM »

My personal favorite is "The Undiscovered Country" (yes, I know, heresy to suggest other than the Wrath of Khan). After that I'd put First Contact and Wrath of Khan similarly matched up on the quality scale.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 11:16:56 PM »

Was this the director's cut DVD? I haven't seen it but I heard it improved the pacing a lot.

As for Wrath of Khan, time hasn't been kind to the production values.  Khan had a substantially lower budget than the first movie and it shows.  While some of the ILM effects still hold up pretty well, the sets, costumes, etc feel pretty low budget.  But the rest of the movie still kicks all kinds of ass and James Horner's score rocks. 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 11:27:16 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 14, 2007, 11:16:56 PM

Was this the director's cut DVD? I haven't seen it but I heard it improved the pacing a lot.

Yeah that's the one we watched.  I can't imagine what the original must have been like if this was improved.

The cool thing was we'd just watched The Trouble With Tribbles last week (with the "old" Klingons) and so I had to explain that the creatures at the start of The Motion Picture were the "real" Klingons.  That was probably the best scene in the whole movie.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 01:29:29 AM »

Quote from: warning on January 14, 2007, 11:27:16 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 14, 2007, 11:16:56 PM

Yeah that's the one we watched.  I can't imagine what the original must have been like if this was improved.

The cool thing was we'd just watched The Trouble With Tribbles last week (with the "old" Klingons) and so I had to explain that the creatures at the start of The Motion Picture were the "real" Klingons.  That was probably the best scene in the whole movie.

They aren't "real" Klingons, they are Klingons. It's explained in a rather good episode of Enterprise. And for the record, TMP is very weak. Its slow, plodding, not very Star Trek like in many ways, and probably my least favorite film
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 01:38:38 AM »

After 2-3 attempts, I still haven't managed to make it through all of Star Trek I.  Khan is probably the best as far as actual quality as a film, but Star Trek IV (where they go to San Francisco) is my personal favorite.  Even people who generally don't like sci-fi movies can have a good time with that one.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 01:49:26 AM »

Even-numbered movies == good (Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, First Contact).
Odd-numbered movies == bad (TMP, Search, V-Whatever-It-Was-Called, Generations).

After First Contact it all went to hell.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 02:34:13 AM »

Quote from: Qbe on January 15, 2007, 01:49:26 AM

Even-numbered movies == good (Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, First Contact).
Odd-numbered movies == bad (TMP, Search, V-Whatever-It-Was-Called, Generations).

Generations was kind of fun.  The last 2 were just 'meh'.  I'm waiting to see what J.J. Abrams is going to do with XI.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 03:10:25 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 15, 2007, 02:34:13 AM

Generations was kind of fun.  The last 2 were just 'meh'.  I'm waiting to see what J.J. Abrams is going to do with XI.

I liked pretty much all the next gen ones. And as to your last comment, I most decidly am not. I hate the concept, and I dont want to see other actors playing those characters. Period. That has been done, movies have been made, a television series was filmed, and a cult following developed around a show, an idea, and a cast. To see that reimagined with new actors for absolutely no good reason while most of the originals are still alive and the ST universe is so rich with ideas that they could use is just godawful stupid to me, insulting, and probably blasphemous to the Trek fans. I know I will never regard whomever they put in Kirk's uniform as the real deal. Its Bill Shatner for all of time. The original idea and script for the Romulans Wars would have been brilliant-dark, gritty, fascinating. But nope, of course not, we get the bubblegum director and a new way to retcon everything we have grown to know and love. Ok now I have made myself angry.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 03:16:20 AM »

Beat me to it.

But generally the Next-Generation ones are so-so at best overall.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 03:29:49 AM »

I kind of liked Generations, mainly because Malcom McDowell is pretty f'in cool.

First Contact was good.

Insurrection was absolutely horrible.  Felt like a really bad episode of the TV series. 

Nemesis- lost with me the dune buggies.  Better than Insurrection but I have no desire to ever see it again. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 03:51:24 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 15, 2007, 03:29:49 AM

Insurrection was absolutely horrible.  Felt like a really bad episode of the TV series. 

Who could forget Riker flying the Enterprise with a Thrustmaster joystick?  icon_lol

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 04:00:29 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 15, 2007, 03:51:24 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 15, 2007, 03:29:49 AM

Who could forget Riker flying the Enterprise with a Thrustmaster joystick?  icon_lol

I liked it!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 04:29:04 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 15, 2007, 01:29:29 AM

good episode of Enterprise

Does not compute.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 04:59:26 AM »

Quote from: kathode on January 15, 2007, 04:29:04 AM

Does not compute.

I liked the two-part mirror universe episode of Enterprise but didn't watch much besides that.

How did they explain away the change in Klingons from white guys with goatees to the current badass mofos?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 05:01:12 AM »

Quote from: warning on January 15, 2007, 04:59:26 AM

How did they explain away the change in Klingons from white guys with goatees to the current badass mofos?

Maybe those were Cleengons? paranoid

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 05:13:34 AM »

Does not compute.

I really liked the third season of Enterprise (especially the latter half).  I really need to watch the fourth season sometime since I've heard good things about it. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 05:20:05 AM »

Does not compute.

Oh yeah, because as I remember, you have watched all of..zero of them? Certainly not more than 3. Definitely you are qualified to comment on the overall quality of a show that spans 90 episodes disgust
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 07:10:06 AM »

Gene Rodenberry said there were Northern and Souther Klingons, while others said the Klingons from the original series were genetically bred human/klingon hybrids for their PR department.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 10:57:27 AM »

I'm still scarred by the sight of those leisure-suit 70s jumpsuit uniform things they were wearing  saywhat

"To see that reimagined with new actors for absolutely no good reason while most of the originals are still alive and the ST universe is so rich with ideas that they could use is just godawful stupid to me, insulting, and probably blasphemous to the Trek fans."
I agree.  If that is indeed what they're doing, I have no idea what they're thinking.  Pretty much every effort to make old TV shows into new movies has failed miserably, and I can't see this being any different.

"How did they explain away the change in Klingons from white guys with goatees to the current badass mofos?"
As a result of failed experiments to create Klingon Augments (like Khan and his followers) and a Klingon plague, many Klingons lost their forehead ridges, which are the ones we see in TOS.  Over time, the condition reversed itself, which is why they once again have them in the newer series.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 12:56:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 15, 2007, 07:10:06 AM

Gene Rodenberry said there were Northern and Souther Klingons, while others said the Klingons from the original series were genetically bred human/klingon hybrids for their PR department.

"We do not talk about that time in our history." - something like that, via Worf in Next Generation. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 03:41:49 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 15, 2007, 05:20:05 AM

Oh yeah, because as I remember, you have watched all of..zero of them? Certainly not more than 3. Definitely you are qualified to comment on the overall quality of a show that spans 90 episodes disgust

You = crybaby They're on my Netflix list, and you fell for my trap!  icon_twisted

Can't wait for the Abrams film.  I respect the original actors but am not up for Star Trek: The Assisted Living Frontier.  I'm very interested to see what the Lost guys do with it. 
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 04:27:17 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 15, 2007, 12:56:40 PM

"We do not talk about that time in our history." - something like that, via Worf in Next Generation. smile

Alright, it's time to get my DS9 fanboy hat on. Worf explained it with a throwaway line in the DS9 ep that was set in the "Trouble with Tribbles" TOS episode. The DS9 crew are sitting there and they talk to someone from the station who complains that there are bloody Klingons everywhere. They look around and see only the Fu Manchu looking guys then look back at Worf (who was wearing a hat or something) and they ask what happened.

"We do not discuss it with outsiders," says Worf.

If they actually got into specifics later with Enterprise and such then that sucks. Part of the charm from DS9 was how they referred in an off-handed manner to some of the greatest mysteries of the Star Trek universe while never filling in the gap. My favorite being the entire Breen arc. Up to that point whenever the series needed a phantom menace (ahem) they referred to the Breen.

"*unintelligible mechanical gibberish*" - Breen soldier.
"I'll hold you to that." - Weyoun.

Brilliant series. thumbsup

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 06:06:07 PM »

Why has nobody posted this yet?

Damn kids, always making me do all the work...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 15, 2007, 06:06:07 PM

Why has nobody posted this yet?

Damn kids, always making me do all the work...

Without this it is still incomplete...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2007, 07:43:06 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on January 15, 2007, 04:27:17 PM

Quote from: Destructor on January 15, 2007, 12:56:40 PM

Alright, it's time to get my DS9 fanboy hat on. Worf explained it with a throwaway line in the DS9 ep that was set in the "Trouble with Tribbles" TOS episode. The DS9 crew are sitting there and they talk to someone from the station who complains that there are bloody Klingons everywhere. They look around and see only the Fu Manchu looking guys then look back at Worf (who was wearing a hat or something) and they ask what happened.

"We do not discuss it with outsiders," says Worf.

If they actually got into specifics later with Enterprise and such then that sucks. Part of the charm from DS9 was how they referred in an off-handed manner to some of the greatest mysteries of the Star Trek universe while never filling in the gap. My favorite being the entire Breen arc. Up to that point whenever the series needed a phantom menace (ahem) they referred to the Breen.

"*unintelligible mechanical gibberish*" - Breen soldier.
"I'll hold you to that." - Weyoun.

Brilliant series. thumbsup

Well you won't get any argument from me on your sentiment. It is, to me, beyond briliant. It is the finest sci-fi series ever filmed, aired, whatever. It is just on the whole a phenomenal body of work, and I agree very much with what you said about the Breen arc and the Klingon throwaway with Worf, but Enterprise truly did explain it in a rather heartfelt and logical way that really doesn't interfere with Worf's one-liner. So I appreciated the exposition.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2007, 08:06:21 PM »

Count me in with whiteboyskim and Calvin.

Deep Space Nine was my favorite Trek series, and taken as a whole, quite possibly my favorite TV series ever made.

I suspect that Firefly, had it gone on for a full series, would've quite possibly gone on track to best DS9 as my personal favorite show based on the consistently high quality of the season we got on DVD.

I'd also recommend that any other fans of DS9 check out the novels that have since come out to continue the story from where the show left off; basically, the books are season 8, and have actually done an excellent job of continuing the story without feeling tacked-on for the sake of milking the franchise (which I was pretty concerned would happen).

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2007, 08:36:01 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on January 15, 2007, 08:06:21 PM

I'd also recommend that any other fans of DS9 check out the novels that have since come out to continue the story from where the show left off; basically, the books are season 8, and have actually done an excellent job of continuing the story without feeling tacked-on for the sake of milking the franchise (which I was pretty concerned would happen).

Absolutely agree with you, seconded.  thumbsup
warning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2007, 08:53:06 PM »

Hmm... sounds interesting.  What books are you talking about?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2007, 08:53:25 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 15, 2007, 08:36:01 PM

Absolutely agree with you, seconded.  thumbsup

You can't second yourself!  There are rules damn it!   rules biggrin

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2007, 09:30:37 PM »

I forget the titles, I could check at home. Obviously it's important to read them in order. icon_wink

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2007, 11:17:04 PM »

Ah, the Dominion War was some of my favorite sci-fi ever on TV, until BSG that is. But DS9 still holds a special place for me, just a great series. Was sad to see it go.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: