http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 04:25:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Trek Series(All of them)  (Read 2161 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2013, 07:33:01 PM »

it seems my Next Generation theory on having a cool episode and then a completely nutty episode is true of the Original Series as well,i have just watched a cool Romulan episode and now this episode Bones is seeing Alice In Wonderland characters on an Earth like planet they have found   icon_confused

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »

Last night I watched The Squire of Gothos and it made me realise that the Futurama episode where the ST cast were included got its idea from this episode

with the Squire being a mischievous youngster alien thing,quite a fun episode though

Arena was next which i think the landscape is featured in Bill and Ted as one of them was watching this episode earlier in the film,where Kirk has to fight with a Gorn(which was quite hilarious with its slow swings),and Kirk had to construct a grenade launcher of sorts with the minerals he finds on the planet where the Arena is taking place
I think a Gorn was in the Commercial recently with William Shatner

then i watched Tomorrow is Yesterday where the Enterprise had gone back to Earth 1960s and they had to arrange it so no one knew they had been there,again fun episode and some good ideas for a 60s show

I think i still have about 9 episodes of this first season(your TV seasons lasted even longer back then!)

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2013, 10:22:27 PM »

I watched the episode where the Klingons first came into it(and they didn't really look like Klingons)

and unfortunately the actor who played Kang in that episode Michael Ansara has just died today aged 91 he appeared in :
Star Trek The Original Series episode Day of the Dove
Played Kang for the second time in Deep Space 9 episode Blood Oath(and played Jayal in the DS9 episode 'The Muse') and played Kang one more time in Star Trek Voyager episode Flashback

Michael Ansara as Kang in TOS

Michael Ansara as Kang in Voyager

Michael Ansara as Jayal in DS9

Michael Ansara as Kang in DS9

He also voiced Mr Freeze in Batman cartoons in the 90s

Michael Ansara dies aged 91
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:25:32 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2013, 10:27:40 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 02, 2013, 10:22:27 PM

I watched the episode where the Klingons first came into it(and they didn't really look like Klingons)

I loved the way they dealt with this in the DS9 episode where they inserted the crew into the original Enterprise Trouble with Tribbles episode. When somebody asks Worf about the old Klingons' lack of turtle heads, he just says "We don't like to talk about it."

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2013, 10:36:49 PM »

That is such an interesting quote to me, since back in 1978/79, when bumpy headed Klingons were introduced in ST:TMP, I was trying to figure out what WERE those aliens shilling for McDonald's?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on August 02, 2013, 10:27:40 PM

I loved the way they dealt with this in the DS9 episode where they inserted the crew into the original Enterprise Trouble with Tribbles episode. When somebody asks Worf about the old Klingons' lack of turtle heads, he just says "We don't like to talk about it."

In a nice bit of cross-series continuity, they actually explained the difference in appearance in Star Trek : Enterprise.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2013, 01:12:09 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 03, 2013, 10:16:03 AM

In a nice bit of cross-series continuity, they actually explained the difference in appearance in Star Trek : Enterprise.

They sure did! 

If anyone ever wondered how irritated the Enterprise writers were by hearing people whine that the series wasn't canon, they should watch the last season.  I've never seen a more clear example of series saying, "Well fuck all this...if we're getting cancelled, we're going to pack in all the craziest shit we've ever wanted to do first!"

-Autistic Angel
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2013, 02:19:56 PM »

Anybody have to link to that bit o' information?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 03, 2013, 02:19:56 PM

Yeah, for those of us who didn't watch Enterprise?

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2013, 06:02:36 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on August 03, 2013, 03:52:14 PM

Oh, it's the *best!*  You'll never guess in a million years!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Dr. Arik Soong, the great-grandfather of Noonian Soong, secretly unfreezes a bunch of genetically optimized human embryos left over from the Eugenics Wars and raises them in the tradition of Kahn Singh.  He underestimates their aggression and adaptability though, and "Augments" steal a Klingon Bird of Prey and decide to go to war with the Empire.

The Klingons are impressed by the battle prowess of the Augments and begin trying to reverse-engineer the genetic modifications that created them.  Unfortunately, since Klingons are bad at anything that doesn't involve growling or stabbing, they accidentally create an airborne plague that overwrites the Klingon genome with hyper-aggressive human DNA.  Side effects include increased strength and speed, the loss of cranial ridges, and death.

Then a Klingon admiral kidnaps the Enterprise's doctor to help create a cure, there are some commercial breaks, and a retrovirus is created that undoes all the damage except for the smooth foreheads.  Thus, a small but noteworthy percentage of the Klingon empire grew up looking like humans with tans.

No, I'm not kidding.  Check it out here, here, and here.

-Autistic Angel
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2013, 08:14:55 PM »

Huh. I like the DS9 approach better than those gyrations -- just acknowledge the "problem" and dismiss it in the same breath.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2013, 05:50:40 PM »

Well i have finished Season 1 of The Original Series

It's so funny seeing so many ideas and pop references come from this series that i never knew before

There were some really good episodes towards the end

Space Seed was pretty good,with Khans first appearance,This Side of Paradise was very strange seeing Spock smiling and in love and hanging upside down from a tree

The Episode with Lazarus fighting with his alternative self was trippy...but i think The City on the Edge of Forever was one of the best episodes this season,it had Kirk and Spock following a deranged Bones to 1930s America and Kirk falling in love with ill fated Joan Collins

The last episode of the season saw Kirk's Brother die at the hands of strange little parasites(plastic blob things)........I didn't even know he had a brother

looking forward to season 2,Star Trek The Original Series has the shortest run of all the Star Trek series(although if you include The Animated Series as 'Season 4' as some apparently do,then it just beats Enterprise)

Star Trek:TOS-80 Episodes
Star Trek:TAS-22 Episodes
Star Trek:TNG-177 Episodes
Star Trek:DS9-173 Episodes
Star Trek:Voyager-168 Episodes
Star Trek:Enterprise-97 Episodes

So as i started this thread back in May,and i have only just got to the end of season 1 of TOS,i think this thread may be open for quite sometime yet  Tongue

I think after TOS and TAS,i will stick Star Trek 1-6 movies in before starting on TNG,then after TNG watch Star Trek 7-10

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2013, 05:54:44 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on August 03, 2013, 06:02:36 PM

Quote from: Ironrod on August 03, 2013, 03:52:14 PM

Oh, it's the *best!*  You'll never guess in a million years!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Dr. Arik Soong, the great-grandfather of Noonian Soong, secretly unfreezes a bunch of genetically optimized human embryos left over from the Eugenics Wars and raises them in the tradition of Kahn Singh.  He underestimates their aggression and adaptability though, and "Augments" steal a Klingon Bird of Prey and decide to go to war with the Empire.

The Klingons are impressed by the battle prowess of the Augments and begin trying to reverse-engineer the genetic modifications that created them.  Unfortunately, since Klingons are bad at anything that doesn't involve growling or stabbing, they accidentally create an airborne plague that overwrites the Klingon genome with hyper-aggressive human DNA.  Side effects include increased strength and speed, the loss of cranial ridges, and death.

Then a Klingon admiral kidnaps the Enterprise's doctor to help create a cure, there are some commercial breaks, and a retrovirus is created that undoes all the damage except for the smooth foreheads.  Thus, a small but noteworthy percentage of the Klingon empire grew up looking like humans with tans.

No, I'm not kidding.  Check it out here, here, and here.

-Autistic Angel

they should have added time travel in.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2013, 10:15:42 PM »

I think after TOS and TAS,i will stick Star Trek 1-6 movies in before starting on TNG,then after TNG watch Star Trek 7-10

For Star Trek 1, I would suggest the Director's Cut, not the Theater release, if you can find it. It was, IMO, a better version. A bit tighter and less purple cloud.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2013, 06:46:15 AM »

Quote from: sgoldj on August 04, 2013, 10:15:42 PM

For Star Trek 1, I would suggest the Director's Cut, not the Theater release, if you can find it. It was, IMO, a better version. A bit tighter and less purple cloud.

ahh good because that is the only version i have,and i can not remember the original version at all

just dawned on me-has Star Trek Voyager got anything to do with Star Treks V'ger?  icon_wink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2013, 10:56:39 AM »

Director > original.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 06:46:45 PM »

IMDB has your laundry list of changes for the Director's Cut.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 07:55:18 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 05, 2013, 06:46:45 PM

IMDB has your laundry list of changes for the Director's Cut.

Christ,wasn't just 'add several minutes in' was it?

That also talks about Network/Pan and Scan versions which is even longer,and my DVD,as Special Features has 5 additional scenes from the 1979 theatrical version and 11 deleted scenes from the 1983 TV Version..that link talks about the TV Network version being 143 minutes while my DVD is 131 minutes(which means the US version of my DVD will be 136 minutes-our(UK) DVDs apparently run 4% faster than yours(US),Blu Rays however are unaffected)

so with all that extra time on the network versions,is the Director's Edition still the best version as you say?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2013, 08:14:11 PM »

just watched a classic episode

Series 2 episode 1-Amok Time

It's Spocks Pon Farr(i was only familiar with this from Star Trek III:The Search For Spock when young newly born but already a teenager Spock was going through it,i gathered it was puberty for Vulcans....this Spock though seems ..older)

And Spock has to fight with Kirk-I now realised why Jim Carrey was humming that tune while fighting Matthew Broderick in The Cable Guy at that 'Medieval Times' restaurant/arena

Oh,i and i also looked up T'Pau on wiki,as the only T'Pau i knew was from the 80s charts..and yup sure enough ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T'Pau_(band)
The band formed in 1986 in Shropshire, taking their name from a Vulcan priestess of the same name in the 1960s sci-fi series Star Trek.[4]
Now i can't stop singing 'Heart and Soul'

It was a good episode,it also introduced Chekov,as Moniker suggested on page 1,it seemed like he had been there all the time..oh and nice Beatles haircut Chekov!

Oh,something i don't like..what the hell have they done with the opening theme?,god awful with that Choir or girls singing it,and Kirks Voice when he is saying those immortal lines over the opening credits sounds distorted on this episode,i am hoping all this is just for this episode and the producers said "yup,sounds like shit,go back to how it was"

One more question that i should of asked for Series 1 as well.....why do they keep getting stuntmen in for non stunts?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2013, 08:26:03 PM »

nope, definitely plenty of changes.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2013, 08:26:25 PM »

bring on the combat music!

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2013, 03:06:51 PM »

Although I haven't played STO in years, my last great memory of the game was a dev-created mission that had you briefly in an Amok Time-style arena battle, and Cryptic had even managed to license the original music from that episode.  icon_smile

As far as the stunt men go, yeah that was pretty ridiculous at times. But you saw that in most shows of that era of the 1960s and early 1970s. Stars just were not interested in doing much of their own stunt and athletic work, and studios seemed to go out of their way to hire stunt folks and body doubles who didn't look remotely like the actual stars.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:09:05 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2013, 06:02:12 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 06, 2013, 03:06:51 PM

Although I haven't played STO in years, my last great memory of the game was a dev-created mission that had you briefly in an Amok Time-style arena battle, and Cryptic had even managed to license the original music from that episode.  icon_smile

I remember that mission. It was awesome just because of the classic fight music.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2013, 06:23:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 05, 2013, 08:26:25 PM

Let Claw Plach begin!!

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2013, 07:42:56 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on August 06, 2013, 06:23:49 PM

Let Claw Plach begin!!

icon_biggrinthumbsup

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2013, 07:44:30 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on August 06, 2013, 06:23:49 PM

Let Claw Plach begin!!

LOL,another from Futurama!!

Okay,a few more episodes in and Kirk has for some reason done away with his Gold top and now wears some kind of green wrap around

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »

eeeww......

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2013, 08:08:46 PM »

been looking it up and found two conflicting stories

1- was that the producers were trying for something for Kirk to stand out from other commanding officers who wore gold(which i had only just noticed that other people did a few episodes ago)
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_did_Captain_Kirk_sometimes_wear_a_green_shirt_instead_of_a_yellow_one

2-Shatner was becoming a fat bastard and they wanted to hide that
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060028/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv
The green Captain's uniform was developed because William Shatner tended to gain weight during the season.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2013, 08:10:23 PM »

Shatner was becoming a fat bastard and they wanted to hide that

<snicker>

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »

Okay,who remembers this!!!  icon_lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2013, 08:39:19 PM »

icon_lol

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2013, 08:42:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 06, 2013, 08:39:19 PM

icon_lol

that got to number one by the way in '87 here in the UK  icon_lol

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2013, 08:43:06 PM »

LOL

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »

watched quite a few episodes in the last few days

That crafty Harry Mudd was back ruling a planet of androids,met Spocks Parents and gone against the Klingons again when trying to persuade an alien species to mine on their planet

Today i watched in horror as Kirk and Co.aged rapidly because of some radiation from the tail of a Comet

and Also Kirk getting obsessed with killing a cloud that killed his crew 11 years ago

When i watch these episodes on Netflix,the beginning Voice Over of Kirk('Boldly go where no man has gone before' etc) is really quiet,and is made worse when the music kicks in and you can't hear him even more,however that last episode i just watched(Obsession)it was loud and clear just like it should be,but it turned out that that episode was not a remastered one,and the scenes of the Enterprise were the same from the 60s,not the redone CGi ones..weird that the sound should be so much better on the original recording,i have sometimes had that with Beatles Mono recordings being louder than the Stereo updates

Oh and one more thing,i had to laugh for the write up for the next episode i am about to watch

"Scotty is accused of murdering a belly dancer"  icon_lol

I am about halfway through season 2

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 06, 2013, 08:15:27 PM

Okay,who remembers this!!!  icon_lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE

That was big on the King Biscuit Flour Hour, which I listened to regularly, for some reason.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2013, 10:08:03 PM »

Because I can,
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2013, 10:17:48 PM »

This seems like a good place to drop this:

http://youtu.be/pf9oD_xl8mI
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2013, 10:21:06 PM »

LOL...i'll have to watch out for that episode icon_wink

just watched Wolf in the Fold,which is Episode 14 from season 2

It was a Murder Who Dunnit episode

Three women lay dead,the first was the Belly dancer from the club who went out into the fog alone with Scotty,only to be killed moments later and Scotty holding the knife,The Second was Enterprise crew member Lt Karen Tracy who was left alone in a room with Scotty only to be fatally stabbed 12 times and the third Sybo who was the Prefects wife and an Argelian empath who died in the dark while holding hands with Scotty

So,who is the Killer?

Is it A)Scotty
Wanting to recreate a typical Aberdeen memory by brutally slaughtering 3 women in one night?

or was it B)That Belly Dancer's Boyfriend who ran out of the bar when Scotty had pulled the Belly Dancer?

or maybe it was C)The Belly Dancer's father who was also in the band?

If you said A,B or C....you would have been wrong

It was actually super secret option:
D) Jack The Ripper as a mischievous cloud possessing the bodies of serial killers over the Centuries before finally setting up home in the body of the attorney Hengist to do his foul deeds

I
Shit
You
Not

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2013, 10:22:30 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on August 14, 2013, 10:17:48 PM

This seems like a good place to drop this:

http://youtu.be/pf9oD_xl8mI

that was frickin' sweet Eel!

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2013, 09:12:29 PM »

The Trouble with Tribbles!!!

Okay i now understand that side mission in KOTOR a lot more(The Trouble With Gizka) icon_biggrin

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: