http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 04:02:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Trek movie - Spock is cast  (Read 3919 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2007, 12:19:27 AM »

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet (unless I missed it somehow), but TVGuide is reporting that Zachary Quinto, aka Sylar from Heroes, has been cast as Spock in the new Star Trek movie.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 12:34:39 AM »

Fascinating.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 01:50:17 AM »

Indeed.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 02:00:05 AM »

[kirk] Spppooocccckkkkk... [/kirk]

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 12:32:36 PM »

There's a new star trek movie?  And they're using the old Star Trek? 

Just let the stupid franchise die.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 12:54:07 PM »

Yeah, this one's going to be young Kirk and Spock at the Academy.

edit: I should say, that's the rumor going 'round.  A younger Kirk and Spock, at least.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 12:59:22 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 12:58:07 PM »

With Quinto being a regular on Heroes, I wonder how that will fit in with the filming schedule. 
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 01:30:09 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 25, 2007, 12:32:36 PM

Just let the stupid franchise die.

Seriously.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 01:33:55 PM »

I don't even mind another movie or TV series but give it 10-15 years.  Let things settle down, bring on some fresh talent and, by then, people will want more Star Trek.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 01:38:36 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 25, 2007, 12:58:07 PM

With Quinto being a regular on Heroes, I wonder how that will fit in with the filming schedule. 

Isn't he dead?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 01:40:54 PM »

I have so much trepidation about this I can't even tell you-I don't want the franchise to die, I want it to come back with a new, good, slightly reimagined tv show.

To be perfectly honest, I fucking HATE the idea of going back and revisiting stuff and recasting characters. Star Trek is one of those franchises that absolutely does not need, and should NEVER ever have a reboot. My hope is that some of the rumors are true, and that Kirk and Spock in their younger days are going to be just a part of the movie, rather than the entire focus-because if they are the main focus, and this covers events before the 5 year mission, I am going to be very very worried about how they are going to fuck with continuity and cannon.

And yes that makes me a raging internet idiot worthy of your scorn. DO NOT CARE. Star Trek is awesome, and I really hope they don't fuck this up and piss on 40 years of established cannon and continuity.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 01:43:02 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 25, 2007, 01:38:36 PM

Isn't he dead?

I'll spoiler this just in case someone is read this thread who was waiting on the Heroes DVD release:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  Nope.  Crawled down a manhole at the end of the finale.  Confirmed as a regular cast member for the second season last I heard.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 02:10:49 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 25, 2007, 12:19:27 AM

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet (unless I missed it somehow), but TVGuide is reporting that Zachary Quinto, aka Sylar from Heroes, has been cast as Spock in the new Star Trek movie.
Yeah, I can't say this was surprise though.

He looks exactly like Nimoy and I have been saying this since he appeared on 24 2 seasons ago. I actially IMDBed him after his first episode to check to see if he was actually Nimoy's son.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 03:19:47 PM »

I'm interested in seeing where JJ Abrams goes with this reboot.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 04:06:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 25, 2007, 03:19:47 PM

I'm interested in seeing where JJ Abrams goes with this reboot.
It's NOT A REBOOT. Abrams has promised nerds like me that this is NOT a reboot. It is going to adhere to canon and continuity as much as they possibly can, which is why the popular rumor is that this will be before the 5 year mission, the last 2 years of it, or the big gap after. There is a lot of room for maneuver with TOS characters since there was more cannon established in the longer series run of the new shows. Either way, Trek is never going to live or die on new audience (which I understand completely why they want to attract). It can be supplemented by that new audience, but not sustained-and the vast majority of the core Trek nerds have no desire to see 40 years of cannon and continuity screwed so Abrams can have a pet project. It's almost unique amongst all shows because the volume of its continuity is so great that its both a tremendous burden for new Trek but one of its most lasting, greatest strengths.

Mark my words-if he lies, and this is more of a reboot, this will be the death of Trek for a minimum of a decade. The nerds that keep it going and probably made up 90% of Nemesis' paltry box office take simply will not stand for that type of change. AND I WILL RAISE THE BANNER WITH THEM!!

Dear god what am I admitting today?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 04:09:42 PM »

Heres a funny file from testing of Secret of Vulcan Fury..well as long as Filefront keeps it smile

NSFW..language

http://files.filefront.com/spockmov/;8142961;;/fileinfo.html

Maybe Joe Pesci should be Spock

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 04:12:48 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on July 25, 2007, 04:06:17 PM

Mark my words-if he lies, and this is more of a reboot, this will be the death of Trek for a minimum of a decade. The nerds that keep it going and probably made up 90% of Nemesis' paltry box office take simply will not stand for that type of change. AND I WILL RAISE THE BANNER WITH THEM!!

See, I don't think that's the case- if it's one thing that fandom can be depended on is that they will still pay to get in and see if even it only to tear it down.  They'll also buy the DVDs while mumbling vaguely about needing it to complete their collection. 

Paramount is hoping that this 'relaunch' (if you will) brings the casuals back to the franchise in a way similar to Wrath of Kahn, Voyage Home, and perhaps First Contact and if that means stepping on the toes of some continuity, then so be it.  And from a business sense, I think they're right.  Hell, I think they'll easily eclipse Nemesis's entire box office gross in just the first weekend. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 04:40:55 PM »

Oh I understand their thought process-and I agree with it. The only way to pave the way for sucessful TV shows and more movies is to absolutely get the casual audience back into Trek, and if they do it in the way that WOK, FC, TVH did,  then I will be standing in the theater absolutely ecstatic come Christmas Day. All three of those movies stepped on continuity and cannon a little bit (ok, in all honesty, WOK was a major divergence from the previous "vision" of Trek), but did so without fundamentally altering anything important to the continuity of the series. My greatest appreciation for later Trek is how hard they tried (and mostly suceeded) in keeping the continuity reasonably logical.

My issue here is not with a relaunch (provided it is just that and not a reboot, as Abrams promises). I think that is a good idea. I do, however, think it is a serious, serious mistake to recast two roles that are perhaps amongst the most iconic in the history of television in the United States. William Shatner IS Kirk. Nimoy IS Spock. I might love the new Star Trek as it will apparently, to my dismay, be titled, but I will ALWAYS think that recasting those characters was a poor idea, and never really see them as Kirk/Spock. For me, there are fictional personalities that are simply forever tied to the actors that portrayed them.

The rumored Romulan Wars script that was first presented to Abrams sounded simply brilliant, and would have allowed a complete new continuity to be establish with minimal canonical issues and without recreating the two greatest Trek icons-I do understand, however, that that would appeal to the Trek fan but most likely not the casual. So my hope here is that this relaunch movie is standalone. That it provides some (much needed) backstory to the early adventures of Kirk and Spock (preferably as either half the story or as the A plot with a significant B plot with new characters), and then the movies that will likely follow start an entirely new story and new continuity with a new cast after casual people have been brought back to the franchise. I just feel like massive Trek dorks like myself will never accept new people as Kirk and Spock longterm, and while they will flock to the theaters to see it once, I don't think they want a whole movie series that reinvents the two most important characters in the franchise-I simply think they are willing to accept one to see if it can relaunch Star Trek for the masses.

And dear god, if they futz with the look of the Enterprise so help me god I will likely POST MANY MESSAGES IN OUTRAGE on the internet  icon_wink. They could get by with changing the uniforms though depending on the time period. Ok, thats a lot for one day, but this has bugged me for several months now.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 05:05:52 PM »

I heard that in this reboot of the franchise, they're making Spock a street smart hip hopper.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 05:09:24 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 25, 2007, 01:43:02 PM

Quote from: Teggy on July 25, 2007, 01:38:36 PM

Isn't he dead?

I'll spoiler this just in case someone is read this thread who was waiting on the Heroes DVD release:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  Nope.  Crawled down a manhole at the end of the finale.  Confirmed as a regular cast member for the second season last I heard.

Crazy - I guess I wasn't paying very good attention.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 12:00:10 AM »

Quote from: ATB on July 25, 2007, 05:05:52 PM

I heard that in this reboot of the franchise, they're making Spock a street smart hip hopper.

If they are smart, they will cross-promote it with the new Alvin and the Chipmunks.  That would be rap-tacular!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 04:33:45 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on July 25, 2007, 04:06:17 PM

Dear god what am I admitting today?

you've come out of the basement!!!!!

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 06:01:45 AM »

The casting was confirmed at Comic-Con, along with the interesting news that Leonard Nimoy will also appear in the movie.  It might be a nice way to tie everything together if we see Nimoy as Spock in the "present" and then the rest of the story is a flashback.  They also revealed a new poster for the movie -

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 06:14:37 AM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 12:37:19 PM »

Yep, just read that. Looks like it will be a flashback episode.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 12:54:57 PM »

Yeah absolutley going to be some sort of flasbhack. God please don't fuck this up. I find it very difficult to believe Nimoy would have agreed to be in it where they going to screw with (at least more than a little) the continuity and canon of Star Trek. Nimoy has made it well known he won't accept token roles (ST: Generations), and he has shown an unwillingess to do things that he thinks are bad for the franchise. Crossing fingers.

If this is a flashback story very heavy on Spock, I could understand why we haven't heard anything about Shatner/Kirk, but otherwise I find it odd and somewhat insulting Shatner hasn't at least been asked to appear (and he says he hasn't). Oh dear god please don't fuck this up. Why are you recasting our icons? Ugh, not happy.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 01:10:05 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on July 27, 2007, 12:54:57 PM

If this is a flashback story very heavy on Spock, I could understand why we haven't heard anything about Shatner/Kirk, but otherwise I find it odd and somewhat insulting Shatner hasn't at least been asked to appear (and he says he hasn't). Oh dear god please don't fuck this up. Why are you recasting our icons? Ugh, not happy.

From the Comicon reports it sounds like there is still a chance for Shatner to appear.

My guess it's about money- "We haven't even been contacted by the studio yet" is usually standard PR speak right up until the day they announce a deal. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 01:33:29 PM »

It could also have to do with where exactly the flashback occurs. I mean, Nimoy isn't exactly young anymore. He could easily play 'himself' in something akin of a Next-Generation timeline, where Kirk would be dead. Much younger than that...not so easily.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 01:33:54 PM »

Kirk IS dead (not counting the Shatnerverse books where he was resurrected by the Borg), so it could be tough to work him in. slywink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 01:35:30 PM »

Also, unless they've denied it, it is possible that Nimoy is playing a more active role than just as a flashback device.  Time travel ain't exactly rare in Trek. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 01:39:55 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 27, 2007, 01:35:30 PM

Also, unless they've denied it, it is possible that Nimoy is playing a more active role than just as a flashback device.  Time travel ain't exactly rare in Trek. 

Oh jesus tapdancing christ. I am just going to pretened this movie doesn't exist for a while.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 01:41:05 PM »

I bet the whole movie takes place on the holodeck on ST:TNG and is just a way for Wesley Crusher to finish his term paper on Federation Heroes.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 01:42:13 PM »

It seems to me that there's sort of a recasting version of the Uncanny Valley.  If the recastings for Spock, Kirk, and the gang are only trying for a general take on the characters, it'll be easy to interpret as a reboot--similar to revisions of Batman, Superman, Oceans 11, etc.  If they get their impression of the characters spot-on, they'll likewise be acceptable--as in Ewan McGregor's take on Obi-Wan.  There's that big range, though, of "close, but not quite," that will have these Kirk and Spock impersonations looking like a humorous parody.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 01:43:13 PM »

Oh and then the holodeck will malfunction and young kirk and spock will attempt to gain control of the Enterprise.  Present day Picard kick's young kirk's arse, Data launches spock into space through an air lock!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 01:44:46 PM »

Oh and somehow the space time continuum gets ripped and the holodek spock and kirk go back in time and meet the real spock and kirk and they find that they must defeat death in a six string jam off!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 01:46:28 PM »

Oh and just as holodeck spock and kirk are just about to go back through the wormhole the well meaning but oh so clumsey Dr. Zoidberg accidentally stumbles and cuts the power cables to device.  Bender drinks and belches fire.  Hilarity ensues.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »

Oh and the borg follow holodek spock and kirk back in time.

Borg: Resistance is futile.
Bender: Assimilate my shiny metal ass!

I mean really. This has huge blockbuster written all over it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2007, 02:05:09 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 27, 2007, 01:41:05 PM

I bet the whole movie takes place on the holodeck on ST:TNG and is just a way for Wesley Crusher to finish his term paper on Federation Heroes.

stop poking the bear. Poor Calvin's going to have an aneurysm.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 02:29:31 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on July 27, 2007, 01:39:55 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 27, 2007, 01:35:30 PM

Oh jesus tapdancing christ. I am just going to pretened this reboot doesn't exist for a while.

ninja

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 02:30:44 PM »

Quote from: Jag on July 27, 2007, 01:33:54 PM

Kirk IS dead (not counting the Shatnerverse books where he was resurrected by the Borg), so it could be tough to work him in. slywink

he could travel back in time before getting caught in the Nexus.  and then he could make Matt Damon his bitch.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 02:32:19 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 25, 2007, 04:09:42 PM

Maybe Joe Pesci should be Spock

and he could be a clown, assigned to the Enterprise to entertain people.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: